Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

Never work for the Ft Worth Locations
Director / Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 1, 2018
The management team for these locations are very young and inexperienced when it comes to managing staff. They have no clue how to successfully manage and train staff to be successful. They harshly criticize and nit pick your daily performance with demeaning emails. When you ask for proof of your short comings they skirt around the issue rather then provide proof. Senior owners love to share that they have gone through between 70-80 new directors within a 7 year period with these management techniques. This is something they are very proud of but when actuality it shows poor management and leadership on their part. In addition to your job duties as a member of management they expect you to be their janitorial staff. They expect you to wipe down windows, tables, and the bathrooms before you leave at night. They also expect you to take out the trash. They pay you minimal salaries and very rarely give raises. Job seekers beware this is not a good place to work.
Pros
Teachers are amazing to work with
Cons
Poor management
Educational services
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAJanuary 5, 2019
Sylvan Learning Center is an after school program that teaches all levels of math and reading. Unfortunately, only about half of the customers see it that way. Many of the students behave as if they're at a day-care, and little can be done to persuade them otherwise.

Despite the fact that all members of the staff have a bachelors degree in some field, and/or many years experience, the starting rates are $15 dollars an hour.

The wages (and lack of benefits) are so non-competitive that the franchisee is taking advantage of people's passion for teaching, to keep costs low.
Pros
Understanding boss
Cons
No breaks, no lunches, no benefits, poor compensation
Productive company that helps children succeed in their educational needs
Director of Education (Current Employee) –  TampaDecember 9, 2018
Answer phone calls and emails from parents and my executive director and other director of education.

Put together assessment folders and administer assessments for new students.

Schedule students with the appropriate instructor, print the student schedule for the day.

Set up the classroom for the students and instructors daily.

Conduct enrollment conferences with new families and ongoing conferences with current families.

Conducting tutoring sessions with students.
Pros
Flexible with my schedule
Cons
Healthcare, Lack of career advancement
A very well run tutoring company
Math, Reading and Writing Tutor (Current Employee) –  Encinitas, CASeptember 7, 2018
Sylvan is a fantastic tutoring company. It is a very relaxed environment with lots of help and assistance. I found the management literally would not let you fail. Not only that, the support and training was excellent. Not only did they help me be the best I could be, but I learned many new things that have helped me as a teacher. My only negative opinion about Sylvan was that the pay is rather low; however, this is quite normal in most tutoring centers. It is a shame I cannot turn my part time job here in to full time work. I would say that it is mostly a place for teachers to earn extra income. The management are really easy going, relaxed and supportive. It is a very positive environment with a high morale.
Pros
High morale, plenty of support, great training
Cons
Low pay, not many benefits, mostly a part time gig for full time teachers
Scheduling is Wonky
Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 21, 2019
The kids are fine, but the management keeps changing and never seems to know what is going on. The education manager left after less than three months without a two-week notice, but that seems to be normal here. They continue to hire people, but do not give hours to the people who are already working. They cannot figure out this is a huge reason for people leaving and finding other jobs. No one wants to work only two hours a week then see the company advertising for tutors. Management, or lack there of, is the biggest problem at this facility. Sylvan Learning Centers are franchises, so each one is managed differently. Finally, the pay is extremely low for the San Francisco Bay Area and instructors with advanced degrees.
Pros
Feeling your teaching helps the kids.
Cons
Lack of hours and low pay
Micromanaging is a big issue at Sylvan in Austin area
Center Director (Current Employee) –  Kyle, TXJanuary 6, 2019
Sylvan Learning is a rewarding place to work since you're helping kids achieve academic goals and helping them remove hurdles. I've learned how to partner with parents and classroom teachers to create effective solutions for student growth.

A couple of years ago, the company started on a path of micromanaging and after the recent franchise purchase, it has become a big issue for those of us who value the corporate vision of Sylvan and use of our creativity.
Pros
Helping kids achieve their potential
Cons
Long hours and tricky bonus structure
Good supplemental job
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Weymouth, MAJuly 24, 2018
As a tutor, the normal work day at Sylvan rarely exceeds 4 hrs. In the past 4 or 5 years, there have been 3 different Center Directors, all nice people, some of which were burdened with role of Director of Education. After speaking to senior tutors, I learned this is not a new trend. I also learned that while tutors are elligible for periodic raises, most tutors have not been prompted for the opportunity in over a couple years.
Pros
Relaxed environment, short work days
Cons
Short work days
lying money hungry owner lies to unemployment department of Georgia
Test Technician (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 1, 2018
I was let go due to becoming sick and was unable to work. File for unemployment and won my benefits. the owner and the manager were so vengeful and Despicable, they made the employees all write lies in a letter and got my benefits terminated. Because we live in Georgia a racist state that only cares about business owners and not hard working people I no longer could appeal the decision.
Pros
I work without someone sitting over my shoulder because I am an adult.
Cons
Money hungry owner refused unemployment benefits
Good people, bad pay
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Salem, NHJuly 19, 2018
The management at the Salem center is amazing. They are super flexible and make you feel valued. The pay is not competitive at all. Sylvan requires all tutors be licensed teachers, but only pay between $11-$15 an hour.
Pros
Easy, Great Managers
Cons
Pay, No benefits
Can be a fun place to work but director is moody
Lead Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLSeptember 14, 2018
I loved my job at Sylvan and the satisfaction of helping see struggling students make tremendous gains in short time. The director was not honest with me, told me they needed to cut teachers due to Hurricane Irma. The truth was she wanted to promote a far less experienced employee who was not a certified teacher to take her place upon her retirement. It was easier for her to terminate me than work things out honorably. The younger employee was offered the position I had been offered and then had it recinded due to "finances".

A typical day entailed working with 1-3 students of various grades in reading and math, as well as the occasional GED, ACT or SAT student preparing for a test. I developed strong bonds with my students and truly enjoyed them.
Pros
Part time
Cons
No breaks, no benefits, low pay
Wonderful place to work!
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 8, 2018
I truly enjoy working with the students at Sylvan. It has turned out to be a great second job for me as a teacher. Someone looking for a full-time career would have a hard time securing as position, as there are only two full-time positions at each center, but it is a wonderful opportunity for someone who is only looking for a few hours a week. There are no lessons to plan, as their program is all laid out for you. I would recommend this job to anyone who is just looking for some supplementary income or just wants to help students learn.
Pros
No lesson plans, friendly people
Cons
Few hours, no benefits
Excellent Math Tutors
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Caldwell, NJJuly 31, 2018
Math tutors were well-educated and highly skilled, and were able to work well with their students - usually one-on-one. Unfortunately, very little appreciation or trust were shown to the tutors - no raises, bonuses or keys to the center. Often tutors needed to wait with their student up to 1/2 hour for a supervisor to open the center.
Pros
Excellent environment
Cons
No appreciation or respect
Abilene Sylvan
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXOctober 19, 2018
Once I am finally able to leave Sylvan, I will never return. I worked there in the early 2000s for five and a half years, starting at $8 an hour. By the time I left, I was making $9.50 an hour. When I went back to work there 11 years later, I was started at $10 an hour. I have a master's degree and four valid Texas teacher certifications, so this level of compensation is insulting. I will be leaving as soon as I secure another part-time job.
Cons
No benefits whatsoever for part-time employees, despite requiring teacher certification
Lead Instructor (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAJanuary 18, 2019
It's a great place to work if you stick with the system, are comfortable working with children from all kinds of backgrounds and do not care too much about compensation for hours worked.
Pros
Nice easy-going hard working people
Cons
Not much break between classes, very low payment
A ten-hour job Monday-Thursday, and Saturday mornings
Director of Education for ages 5-18 (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 14, 2018
As an afterschool instructor tutoring three students for an hour session is a good part-time job. Directors, on the other hand, work ten hour days, Monday through Thursdays, and rotate Saturday mornings. Ten hours days, arriving at 9:00 AM and leaving after 7 PM can be challenging, and eliminate a quality and balanced life.
Pros
The Center was closed on Fridays and Sundays.
Cons
No health care compensation
Exciting job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV and Long Beach, CAJanuary 15, 2019
Sylvan is very accommodating to employees by way of scheduling goes. Management was understanding when it came to making sure that employees were not stressed out about scheduling, they worked hard in working with you on your availability. Employees are respected and valued.
Pros
Fun place to work
great place to work
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Pearland, TXJuly 10, 2018
I have been at this job for two years. Each day is new because you tutor different kids. I see the improvement in students after 2 weeks. Good training and staff meetings. Open door policy if problem with anything with job can go and talk with director.
Pros
team work with management and teachers
Cons
low pay no benefits
Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 9, 2019
Loved my co-workers. Very supportive team. Management was great. The job itself is very rewarding, working with and education children to understand concepts they're having problems with.
Fun and Fullfilling Position
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, CADecember 8, 2018
The students and staff are great and each day is its own adventure. It is a great place to work and definitely provides a chance to make a difference in the lives of the students who attend.
Pros
Great manager, friendly staff
Cons
no benefits, low # of hours
Sylvan made me a better educator and boss.
Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 26, 2018
Sylvan provided engaging lesson plans and specific/consistent instruction that helped me become a more effective educator! I learned how to manage student behaviors, teach using the Sylvan model, and build individual learning programs. Differentiation and personal learning programs is what makes Sylvan standout from other supplemental education programs. The hardest part of the job was juggling all of the responsibilities of a Director AND Certified Tutor. When one of the educators couldn't make it, I would have to teach instruction which hindered completion of other responsibilities as a Director. I enjoyed working at Sylvan and learned a lot about myself and what I am capable of.
Pros
training and experience
Cons
no benefits and low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight