Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Easy job, not much to do and not much room for growth
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXMay 21, 2018
As ownership changed so did the requirements of my job. I was required to do a lot more without any sort of pay raise. It was a very easy job at the beginning without much to do. I don't know how it is now.
Pros
Easy days
Cons
No benefits
Great place to work if the owner is willing to keep up his end of the bargain
Math and Reading Instructor and Homework Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 16, 2018
Sylvan was a great place to work. There is a great team environment and everyone supports one another. I rated the job security section really low because the owner of the Sylvan Branch ended up allowing the branch to crash and burn. My manager did what he could to try to keep the branch afloat but when the owner stops paying bills, it becomes hard to keep a place running. Apparently there was friction between the franchise and the owner so the owner ran the branch without paying for upkeep. MY EXPERIENCE IS UNIQUE so take my negative aspect of my review with a grain of salt. I bear no ill will against the franchise and hope that everyone else who works there is doing well and are successful.
Pros
great environment, patient and supportive staff
Great Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAMay 15, 2018
Great staff and Manager. Work was fun and rewarding. Job ended too soon. I was able to learn a lot about payroll and keeping track of employees. I was able to shine with my organizational skills.
Pros
My skills would used to their fullest.
Cons
Job ended too soon.
Part time profit.
Part-Time Tutor (Former Employee) –  MainaMay 4, 2018
Coworkers are effective. Boss is efficient. The problem was that the amount of students coming was not enough for me for my boss to let me continue working there.
Pros
Flexible in schedule.
Cons
Not permanent.
Flexible hours
Center Director (Former Employee) –  Valley, WAMay 3, 2018
If you enjoy working with kids in a relaxed atmosphere then Sylvan Learning Center is the place for you. As a manager there is very little micromanaging from owners and you have the freedom to run your center as you please as long as you are getting your job done and making a profit. The downside of this job is that you are paid hourly, with no benefits and no retirement fund. The hours can be long and you must work evenings since that is when the center is open for instruction.
Pros
Flexible hours and friendly staff
Cons
Not salaried, no benefits
Great place!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAApril 25, 2018
Worked with 3 students at a time. Curriculum was provided. Management was supportive. Other tutors were friendly. Some students can be difficult to work with.
Pros
Somewhat relaxed, depending on students.
Cons
Part-time
Enjoyed Working With Students
CENTER DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOApril 25, 2018
Sylvan was a good place to work if you enjoy helping kids learn and grow. There were no written guidelines for the job so at times things were always changing. The owner got very involved in the day to day operation and was over managing every little detail of the job. Micromanagement does not work well for me as I did not like this management style.Dealing with the staff of instructors was great and working with the students and seeing their progress over time was very satisfying.
Pros
Working with the students and staff
Cons
Micromanagement style
Director of Education
Director of Education (Current Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COApril 19, 2018
Great for a transitional job and to understand the different schools in Douglas County. I enjoyed working with the Director and the teachers who were committed to the students.
Enjoyable experience
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAApril 18, 2018
It's a good place to ease yourself in the education career corner. Usually have about 4 students a day, and their grades range from 2nd through 6th. Management was great, worked around any scheduling conflicts. Good experience.
Pros
flexible scheduling, good management
Cons
Low hours
Good place to work for experience in teaching
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNApril 17, 2018
My time at Sylvan was good. The lesson plans were easy to navigate and the atmosphere was very nice. The teachers were very helpful too. The only problems I had with Sylvan was the pay and the hours. But it was a great opportunity for experience with teaching.
The people make the organization.
Operations Support (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 12, 2018
The life long relationships formed during my tenure were the most enjoyable part of the job. It was great to work for an organization that builds the confidence of children in the classroom and beyond.
Nice place to learn
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILApril 12, 2018
A typical day is the norm at place where children are being tutored. It is very quiet. There is not a lot of things to do there. I started off working 3 day s a week and ended working 1 day a week.
VERY low pay
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Johnston, IAApril 6, 2018
This company needs to reevaluate their structure. Teachers are expected to have a teaching degree (rightfully so). Most are classroom teachers looking for a side gig, so the crazy low pay is just irritating and a huge morale problem. Students pay more than $50 an hour to be there. Teachers make $11 and are expected to have three students at a time.

I have brought up my concern about compensation with management and was met with shrugs and excuses about overhead and sending a large percentage of profits to corporate,

Sylvan, you need to reevaluate your business model or your business is going to fail.
Good Job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ILApril 5, 2018
Great part time job. Spent several years there and always felt appreciated. Would suggest to others if they were curious about being a teaching assistant at Sylvan.
Positive and fun place to work.
Beginning and Academic Reading Tutorial Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bronxville, N.Y (Yonkers)April 4, 2018
A typical day at Sylvan Learning Center is mostly based on the individual. If you enjoy working with people, especially children you will enjoy it. It is a low stress environment with helpful and supportive staff. Paid training sessions are done online and veteran tutors model a successful every aspect of a session. Tutors arrive early to set up for the session and review previous comments and notes inreference to the students' performance and achievements. . Successes are celebrated but struggling students are not ignored or forgotten. Their hard word and efforts are rewarded also. A session lasts for one hour with the last fifteen minutes incorporating academic reflection, a game and a reward. The philosophy is to develop a positive outlook towards learning.
Pros
Self selected schedule.
Cons
No benefits or perks
Little job security
Teacher - writing emphasis (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLApril 2, 2018
Good work environment. The hours are very convenient. The workload is quite manageable. Teacher to student ratio is 3:1. Reasonable pay. I received $15 per hour. I loved working there. Sadly, I was fired without reason or notice via email. This occurred after I asked for a small raise and Saturdays off for religious reasons.
Pros
Work environment, work load
Cons
Little job security, no benefits
Very friendly place
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CAMarch 27, 2018
Every one is very nice and the open environment makes it easy to learn about the company and how to work as a team. You have the opportunity to speak directly with everyone your working with so needs are easier to meet with less mis-communication.
Pros
Feels very warm and welcoming
Cons
Repetitive
DECEPTIVE job posting. If job title is "Test Center Administrator" then you'll actually work in Prometric, NOT in Sylvan. MONTHLY PAYCHECKS only.
Test Center Administrator (TCA) (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 26, 2018
DECEPTIVE job posting. If job title is "Test Center Administrator" or "TCA" then you'll actually work in Prometric, NOT in Sylvan (but it's in the same building). Prometric does NOT offer tutoring services. The management company owns two types of franchises and they interview people to tutor children and then they’ll have you work at Prometric Testing where you'll sit and stare at adults taking accounting exams all day and you'll sharpen their pencils. Whether you work at Prometric or Sylvan, in either case, you'll get MONTHLY PAYCHECKS only (which is difficult with a low wage), no benefits, no time off, no breaks for employees allowed, ever, no lunch-breaks allowed, ever, and people generally hate the management here. It’s a rotating door, at all levels, employees and middle-management alike. After employees are hired, they are then informed only afterwards about the monthly paychecks, and then they feel mad, and then they look for another job, and then they leave within 2 months…always. The management refuses to change this, even tho they've been informed. The workers tend to resent the management because the management has a closed-door policy and refuses to talk to employees directly, so you must contact them through a proxy. They show up around 11 am Monday thru Thursday, and leave around 4 pm, and for Christmas, they will give you a single piece of chocolate for your bonus. The management treats employees like they are unworthy, both in Sylvan and in Prometric (it's the same set of problems in both places), and the employees hate the management for this, and the management  more... keeps on doing the same things of course. 80% of all the employees and managers who have worked here within the last 3 months have left!!! 80% in 3 months?!?! Something is wrong, this place is a burning ship!

Normally I’d say that a job doing nothing or even tutoring is an alright thing, but it’s so terrible here (IN BOTH PLACES) that I am absolutely done with this nonsense. It just stinks rotten like a place with extremely poor management and it doesn't care. And even if you do work at Sylvan tutoring, you can be sure that you'll encounter all the same exact problems as with Prometric, because the leadership is exactly the same. They hide behind fake smiles and then give you mean behaviors and monthly paychecks.
Pros
They are always needing workers.
Cons
MONTHLY paychecks only, No breaks allowed, No benefits, No time off, Low Pay, Management treats employees like they just don't care, They have a closed-door policy, They refuse to change the monthly paycheck situation, It's a rotating door here
Teacher Assitant is rewarding but pay is terrible
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXMarch 21, 2018
Management is very nice. Helping kids learn is awesome. Workplace is clean, and very relaxed. School like environment. There was no benefits and it was minimum wage
These guys are a ripoff
Sales & Test Administrator (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COMarch 20, 2018
They treat their employees horribly just like their customers. Its a rip-off. Materials are old. Teachers are dedicated. Individual managers only want the profits. They will wear you down and take all the money from the parents.
Pros
nothing
Cons
its a ripoff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight