Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Do not work here
Director (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 20, 2018
After a year the owner refused to pay the bonus that was earned. They can not keep Directors because they are unethical. They have you work 6 days a week every other week and do not give you time off.
Good people, bad pay
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Salem, NHJuly 19, 2018
The management at the Salem center is amazing. They are super flexible and make you feel valued. The pay is not competitive at all. Sylvan requires all tutors be licensed teachers, but only pay between $11-$15 an hour.
Pros
Easy, Great Managers
Cons
Pay, No benefits
Do this to help kids, not to make a living
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 17, 2018
Must be willing to work here if you enjoy helping kids. The pay was not great and it could be stressful when one of the kids is not cooperating and being disruptive.
Center Director
CENTER DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAJuly 16, 2018
A Center Director wears many hats throughout the day and year. The job is stressful due to the sales demands. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to meet with families and talk to them about all the ways that Sylvan can help!
Teacher/Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Chaska, MNJuly 16, 2018
Sylvan Learning Center, Chaska MN has been a great place to work. It has flexible hours and will work with you to coordinate a schedule that is workable for all parties. The management is top notch and always puts the students first.
Pros
Teachers are able to earn points toward gift cards.
Nice staff and students
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILJuly 13, 2018
Working at Sylvan taught me to pace myself when tutoring students. I learned about a lot of different resources while working there. I met people from different ethnic groups and really enjoyed working on their team.
Pros
The job was easy to me
Cons
low payi
Fun and Interactive
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAJuly 12, 2018
A great flexible work environment. Always willing to work with my schedule. The program is easy to learn which allows for focus to be put on the students who are learning. The small group learning is wonderful!
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
few available hours
Tutoring
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJuly 11, 2018
Sylvan allows you to tutor 3 students at the same time. They have TAs that pull all of the materials for you. I got to teach SAT prep and update the students' notebooks.
Fun working in smaller group setting.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 10, 2018
I enjoyed working for Sylvan because of a smaller group setting. Sylvan management team communicated with staff as needed. Attention was give to the overall growth or progress of the student.
Pros
Curriculum
Cons
Measurement of achievement.
great place to work
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Pearland, TXJuly 10, 2018
I have been at this job for two years. Each day is new because you tutor different kids. I see the improvement in students after 2 weeks. Good training and staff meetings. Open door policy if problem with anything with job can go and talk with director.
Pros
team work with management and teachers
Cons
low pay no benefits
Tight workspace, fast paced workflow
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 9, 2018
Work needed to be done in an unrealistic amount of time.
As a younger person at the time,my thoughts on the job fell by the wayside
Teacher's Assistants were not invited to staff meetings.
Motivated Students
Teacher (Former Employee) –  baytown texasJuly 8, 2018
Ut was a great place to work with students that were motivated and interested in learning. I especially enjoyed teaching robotics and a summer program at YES Academy.
Fun place to work, most of the time its a relaxed atmosphere.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 2, 2018
I loved working here. There were stressful times, but most of the time it was great. Got to work and play with the kids, plus I got to see them improving as they went through the program. Also seeing the change in their attitude as they accomplished their goals.
Pros
Off on Fridays, flexible scheduling.
Cons
Having to work some long days and some Satrudays.
Good work environment
SYLVAN TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXJuly 2, 2018
Work starts with arriving at the designated center and checking which students you have in the day. Prepare for the students you have and expect changes to be made to the schedule. You are scheduled for the set amount of hours but who you are meeting with could change.
Pros
Excellent co-workers
Cons
Short hours and only a part time availability
Exciting and fun
Puller (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LAJune 27, 2018
I enjoyed working with my coworkers and the kids, any chance there was a problem my coworker would help me solve it, many kids would refuse to cooperate with the teacher so we would have to do a one on one with them
Sylvan made me a better educator and boss.
Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 26, 2018
Sylvan provided engaging lesson plans and specific/consistent instruction that helped me become a more effective educator! I learned how to manage student behaviors, teach using the Sylvan model, and build individual learning programs. Differentiation and personal learning programs is what makes Sylvan standout from other supplemental education programs. The hardest part of the job was juggling all of the responsibilities of a Director AND Certified Tutor. When one of the educators couldn't make it, I would have to teach instruction which hindered completion of other responsibilities as a Director. I enjoyed working at Sylvan and learned a lot about myself and what I am capable of.
Pros
training and experience
Cons
no benefits and low pay
Excellent place to work
Director of Education and Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJune 22, 2018
Although every franchise is different, the franchise I worked for in California was amazing. I had owners who prioritized the children, passionate teachers, and just fantastic families. If it wasn't for my husband's job, I would still be working there and enjoying everything.
Sylvan
Education Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDJune 19, 2018
Very stressful, however, you learn patience and a great deal of customer service. Day to Day was creating an education plan for students in need academically.
Pros
Helping Children
Cons
Stressfull and low pay
Great program for the students to prosper
Teacher/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Forest Park, ILJune 19, 2018
I truly working the different ages of students and assisting them to go better in the subject they struggle in. The scheduling is very flexible of when you are available and the directors will work around your schedule.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Great atmosphere and supportive
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Rogers, ARJune 18, 2018
I enjoy working at Sylvan. The directors are easy to work for and with and listen to your feedback. If there are any problems they are willing to work with you and are flexible. Everybody is warm and personable. The teachers are there to make the students time there worth it. We want the students to feel good about their work and be confident when leaving. The interaction with the students is enjoyable and if there are any issues the center director will intervene for us. Parent interaction is usually with the directors, but we do talk but just in general. The directors handle the conferences. At times the hardest part is dealing with students who are not wanting to be there and do the work. Downside is the limited hours that we work, but they are flexible.
Pros
Flexible staff and lessons already prepped
Cons
Limited hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight