Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

Great culture
Owner (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDNovember 16, 2018
Ability to help kids while making good living. Team is excellent to work with. Great freedom in making the job fit into your life. If you do not like kids, this job is not for you.
Pros
Home/Life balance
Cons
No advancement
Fantastic for an afternoon job for teenager
TUTOR ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaNovember 14, 2018
I worked this job as a teenager after school. I learned how to be responsible for many duties. Staff was friendly ad helpful. I also shadowed tutoring sessions and enjoyed watching children grow.
Good Temporary Work
Middle School Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 14, 2018
If you are looking for temporary work in education, this company would be a good place to start. Just remember that contracts vary from semester to semester so work may fluctuate quite a bit depending.
Great place for teachers to get some extra money and help more students
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Crofton, MDNovember 8, 2018
Sylvan Learning Center is an amazing place where students come to get extra assistance with Math and English skills. The teachers who work here are passionate and caring and want to see every student succeed. Instructors don't have to worry about lesson planning and simply follow the guide set out in each student's individual plan. This allows teachers to focus completely on teaching the student. The directors handle meetings with parents, setting the schedule, and work with teachers should major issues arise during sessions. The only difficulty that can arise during a session is when all three students, the max you can have at your table, need individual assistance at the same time. Otherwise, the job is very straightforward and easy to handle for general teachers. Finally, the teachers know they make a difference and can see students grow and improve.
Good Place to Work
Tutor/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Semmes, ALNovember 7, 2018
Great place to work. Had a great manager and everything ran smooth. The clients were great, also. There are no benefits for part-time work and the shifts are short.
Pros
Short shifts
Cons
Transitions could be better
lying money hungry owner lies to unemployment department of Georgia
Test Technician (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 1, 2018
I was let go due to becoming sick and was unable to work. File for unemployment and won my benefits. the owner and the manager were so vengeful and Despicable, they made the employees all write lies in a letter and got my benefits terminated. Because we live in Georgia a racist state that only cares about business owners and not hard working people I no longer could appeal the decision.
Pros
I work without someone sitting over my shoulder because I am an adult.
Cons
Money hungry owner refused unemployment benefits
Went out of business
Center Director (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 31, 2018
closed in Memphis now, but was a fun job when I had it until management changed. Then my values about education and teaching and learning and caring for families did not line up with the new management where it was all about the money.
Pros
fun
Cons
pay
Great Learning Environment
Reading and Writing Instructor (Former Employee) –  LouisianaOctober 31, 2018
This was a great company to work for. It had a very good curriculum that met the students needs. It was a part-time job that was great work and home life balance.
Fact pace
Sylvan Learning Center (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLOctober 29, 2018
Students came to Sylvan to improve their basic academic needs. Tutors engage students through fast paced lessons that require thought and prior knowledge.
Abilene Sylvan
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXOctober 19, 2018
Once I am finally able to leave Sylvan, I will never return. I worked there in the early 2000s for five and a half years, starting at $8 an hour. By the time I left, I was making $9.50 an hour. When I went back to work there 11 years later, I was started at $10 an hour. I have a master's degree and four valid Texas teacher certifications, so this level of compensation is insulting. I will be leaving as soon as I secure another part-time job.
Cons
No benefits whatsoever for part-time employees, despite requiring teacher certification
good part time for teachers
Director of Education/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLOctober 17, 2018
good part time for teachers - students seem to want to work - lots of positive reinforcement - professional environment - friendly staff - great testing center
Pros
part time teaching
Cons
only part time
Sylvan Learning Center is a great after School program.
Hostess Responsibilities (Former Employee) –  Ronan, MTOctober 17, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working after school helping young students understand and comprehend math and reading subjects. It was a joy to see them slowly grasp onto hard a concept and flourish with new understanding.
Pros
Working with people
Cons
Part time short term job
Fun workplace
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNOctober 17, 2018
I enjoy only working with up to three students at a time. Other teachers are friendly and the atmosphere is relaxed. The directors are helpful and available to answer questions.
Education should be about learning, not money
Director of Education (Former Employee) –  Carterville, ILOctober 15, 2018
I enjoyed helping children increase their knowledge. The pay was based on commission. I felt that commission based pay was not a fair way to compensate employees working in education.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Pay
I love my job
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDOctober 12, 2018
I've worked at Sylvan Learning Center in Bismarck, ND, for 3 years as a part time teacher. I LOVE WORKING HERE!!! The owners and directors all truely care about their teachers, students, and families. We are able to maintain a super positive atmosphere for the students. As teachers, we are trusted to use our own professional judgement to adjust the way we teach different skills to individual students. I feel appreciated every day I come to work! The pay is about average for a part-time job, but the lack of stress and being treated like the professional I am make up for that entirely. The owners and directors always go above and beyond to show their appreciation - from birthday gifts, outings, and treats to less tangible, but more important, individual treatment and being thanked in writing and in person. The owners and directors take the time to get to really know and understand every teacher who works there so that they can be put in a position to be able to do their best.
Pros
An attitude of appreciation and being treated like a professional because your judgement is trusted
Cons
Only part-time
Relaxing and great to help students
Tutor (Current Employee) –  DeKalb, ILOctober 9, 2018
I have always loved communicating with and helping others. Tutoring allows me to do both. The environment is friendly and the job is rewarding. It is a great feeling with students build confidence.
Private school teacher
Private School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAOctober 7, 2018
I started out as tutor in the summer. This is an accredited school and I started teaching at the academy. The students had varying academic difficulties.
not many hours
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXOctober 6, 2018
You are not working many hours per week, under 15. The pay is minimal. The training is kind of spotty, with it mostly be online training. You work with about 4 kids at a time and have to be able to multi-task while teaching each child.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
1low pay, low hours
Small group tutoring
ACE IT Tutor Grades (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TX 79109October 2, 2018
I worked with three or four students following a fast paced curriculum under specified time limits. It was enjoyable to be able to get the students in a small group setting.
Pros
Small classes, friendly working environment
Cons
Fast paced and sometimes stressful
Rewarding job
Director of Education (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAOctober 2, 2018
Very rewarding to see students grow. Great support from coworkers as well as corporate Sylvan. You are part of a village when helping each student. The parents, school teacher, advisors, and you all work together.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
some days can be frustrating when figuring out students

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight