Sylvan Learning Center Employee Reviews

Great Place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WASeptember 19, 2018
If you want to make a difference, this is the place to work. There is this feeling of incredible joy to work with kids. The staff is kind and always has the employees best interest in mind.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
short breaks
Great work/life balance
DIRECTOR OF EDUCATION (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTSeptember 18, 2018
Hours at Sylvan are very flexible and easy to work with my school schedule. The job is fun and the kids are great to work with. Coworkers are great and reliable, everyone works together well and helps each other to get everything done.
Pros
Discounts on tutoring, flexible hours
Cons
no health benefits, short work hours
Sylan Learning systems is a good place to work
Vice President of Technology, eSylvan (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 18, 2018
I enjoyed working with the children as we were developing a new online tutoring program; the first in the nation. the management was very supportive, but very conservative, making it difficult for a new spin-off venture.
Pros
Solid management backing and leadership
Cons
Too conservative to grow the business effectively through online channels
Do not rely on this for a real job
Teacher (Former Employee) –  IndianaSeptember 15, 2018
Paid once a month with no direct deposit. Pay is extremely low, especially for teachers and the expectations are extremely high for such low pay.This makes it difficult to enjoy the small group experience if this is all you are relying on for a job. Terrible hours which are subject to change in the middle of your scheduled time, so you could actually lose money if you have to drive a distance to get there. Yet they prefer teachers with actual certification.
Can be a fun place to work but director is moody
Lead Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLSeptember 14, 2018
I loved my job at Sylvan and the satisfaction of helping see struggling students make tremendous gains in short time. The director was not honest with me, told me they needed to cut teachers due to Hurricane Irma. The truth was she wanted to promote a far less experienced employee who was not a certified teacher to take her place upon her retirement. It was easier for her to terminate me than work things out honorably. The younger employee was offered the position I had been offered and then had it recinded due to "finances".

A typical day entailed working with 1-3 students of various grades in reading and math, as well as the occasional GED, ACT or SAT student preparing for a test. I developed strong bonds with my students and truly enjoyed them.
Pros
Part time
Cons
No breaks, no benefits, low pay
Excellent opportunity to advance carrer
Center Director (Former Employee) –  Loves Park, ILSeptember 13, 2018
Sylvan is a great environment for providing employees to strengthen their opportunities in teaching as well as parent-teacher relationships. For Center Directors, it is an absolutely invaluable chance to develop sales, marketing, and interpersonal skills that will be very useful on the open market!
Pros
Training in various elements of experience.
A very well run tutoring company
Math, Reading and Writing Tutor (Current Employee) –  Encinitas, CASeptember 7, 2018
Sylvan is a fantastic tutoring company. It is a very relaxed environment with lots of help and assistance. I found the management literally would not let you fail. Not only that, the support and training was excellent. Not only did they help me be the best I could be, but I learned many new things that have helped me as a teacher. My only negative opinion about Sylvan was that the pay is rather low; however, this is quite normal in most tutoring centers. It is a shame I cannot turn my part time job here in to full time work. I would say that it is mostly a place for teachers to earn extra income. The management are really easy going, relaxed and supportive. It is a very positive environment with a high morale.
Pros
High morale, plenty of support, great training
Cons
Low pay, not many benefits, mostly a part time gig for full time teachers
Only a summer job
Teachers Aid (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLSeptember 6, 2018
this was only a summer job. so, I really can speak much this company. while was there I loved it! It gave me a taste of a office job. I really loved my bosses! and the kids where lovely.
Pros
It worked around my schedude and love my bosses
Productive and fun
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Bannockburn, ILSeptember 5, 2018
During a typical workday at Sylvan Learning, I worked with kids from all age groups on concepts that they were having trouble with. The kids are from all grade levels.
Great managers and compassionate peers.
Fingerprint Technician (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXSeptember 3, 2018
Overall fantastic place to work, just no real room for growth if not focused on education. Part time work for a majority of staff means cooperation isn't stressed to hard but helps the center run smoothly none the less.
A very well-run company, but strictly part-time.
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 1, 2018
Sylvan has a great system for diagnosing student weaknesses in math and reading, and then tutoring to remedy those areas. My supervisor was very professional, and good to me personally. The only problem was that the hours per week were too few.
Pros
good people, good work culture
Cons
not enough hours
Tutoring
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fair Lawn, NJAugust 29, 2018
It has been awhile since I have worked there. From what I remember it was a good place to work. When parents are paying for students to receive extra help it makes a difference. Students want to learn.
Review
Robotics, coding, and engineering skills tutor (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXAugust 28, 2018
Good place to work. Really helpful with schedules. The working environment was nice, and i enjoyed teaching there to the kids. One can learn as you go and they are always there to help you.
Collaborative environment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHAugust 26, 2018
The lessons are planned and the instructor's job is to help students learn using the Sylvan Sync program. It is helpful for students who may have gaps in learning.
It's a really great opportunity
LEAD TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAAugust 24, 2018
It's a great opportunity for anyone that has a passion to help children. You get to work with kids and get to see how much perseverance and motivation go hand-in-hand.
Used to be a fun place to work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 15, 2018
The best feature of this job was the personal joy I experienced when a student was able to grasp a concept. The bright smiles of confidence from the younger students made teaching worthwhile.
doesn't pay well
Instructor (Current Employee) –  KentuckyAugust 14, 2018
Hours are usually evenings or weekends. Some teachers are a little too competitive for that type of environment. The pay for the teachers is not comparable to the price the students pay to attend.
Wonderful work place and wonderful children
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCAugust 14, 2018
My time at Sylvan learning center was wonderful. I gained experience from teachers who worked with students after school. Although I chose a different career path, I was able to learn how to help children and families in the future with being a counselor. One lady in particular helped me out tremendously and helped me shape my future and what path to walk in the future.
A ten-hour job Monday-Thursday, and Saturday mornings
Director of Education for ages 5-18 (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 14, 2018
As an afterschool instructor tutoring three students for an hour session is a good part-time job. Directors, on the other hand, work ten hour days, Monday through Thursdays, and rotate Saturday mornings. Ten hours days, arriving at 9:00 AM and leaving after 7 PM can be challenging, and eliminate a quality and balanced life.
Pros
The Center was closed on Fridays and Sundays.
Cons
No health care compensation
Best Walks
Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 14, 2018
The walls was my favorite part of the day when i would work for Sylvan Learning Center even when it was freezing cold but just knocking at peoples doors & explaining what we would do would interest them.
Pros
Walks
Cons
weather

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight