Sylvan Learning Center Management reviews

Exciting job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV and Long Beach, CAJanuary 15, 2019
Sylvan is very accommodating to employees by way of scheduling goes. Management was understanding when it came to making sure that employees were not stressed out about scheduling, they worked hard in working with you on your availability. Employees are respected and valued.
Pros
Fun place to work
Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 9, 2019
Loved my co-workers. Very supportive team. Management was great. The job itself is very rewarding, working with and education children to understand concepts they're having problems with.
Pay is low
Director of Education (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 5, 2019
Pay is low and a lot is expected of you. As a Director of Education, my job duties were 70/30 split between myself and the Center Director. The Center Director did significantly less work and was often compensated much higher. I wish Sylvan would readdress this.
Great company to work for
Regional Director (Current Employee) –  Winter Park, FLDecember 12, 2018
I relocated for personal reasons and was glad to stay with Sylvan. They are the best tutoring company out there and believe in what they do from The CEO on down.
Productive company that helps children succeed in their educational needs
Director of Education (Current Employee) –  TampaDecember 9, 2018
Answer phone calls and emails from parents and my executive director and other director of education.

Put together assessment folders and administer assessments for new students.

Schedule students with the appropriate instructor, print the student schedule for the day.

Set up the classroom for the students and instructors daily.

Conduct enrollment conferences with new families and ongoing conferences with current families.

Conducting tutoring sessions with students.
Pros
Flexible with my schedule
Cons
Healthcare, Lack of career advancement
Never work for the Ft Worth Locations
Director / Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 1, 2018
The management team for these locations are very young and inexperienced when it comes to managing staff. They have no clue how to successfully manage and train staff to be successful. They harshly criticize and nit pick your daily performance with demeaning emails. When you ask for proof of your short comings they skirt around the issue rather then provide proof. Senior owners love to share that they have gone through between 70-80 new directors within a 7 year period with these management techniques. This is something they are very proud of but when actuality it shows poor management and leadership on their part. In addition to your job duties as a member of management they expect you to be their janitorial staff. They expect you to wipe down windows, tables, and the bathrooms before you leave at night. They also expect you to take out the trash. They pay you minimal salaries and very rarely give raises. Job seekers beware this is not a good place to work.
Pros
Teachers are amazing to work with
Cons
Poor management
I didn't get paid enough so I don't think this is a good job.
teacher (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXNovember 20, 2018
It was a good place to work but I only had a part time job. I didn't work there long enough to do this and I don't have time to fill in all this garbage. It doesn't matter anyway
lying money hungry owner lies to unemployment department of Georgia
Test Technician (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 1, 2018
I was let go due to becoming sick and was unable to work. File for unemployment and won my benefits. the owner and the manager were so vengeful and Despicable, they made the employees all write lies in a letter and got my benefits terminated. Because we live in Georgia a racist state that only cares about business owners and not hard working people I no longer could appeal the decision.
Pros
I work without someone sitting over my shoulder because I am an adult.
Cons
Money hungry owner refused unemployment benefits
Went out of business
Center Director (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 31, 2018
closed in Memphis now, but was a fun job when I had it until management changed. Then my values about education and teaching and learning and caring for families did not line up with the new management where it was all about the money.
Pros
fun
Cons
pay
Sylan Learning systems is a good place to work
Vice President of Technology, eSylvan (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 18, 2018
I enjoyed working with the children as we were developing a new online tutoring program; the first in the nation. the management was very supportive, but very conservative, making it difficult for a new spin-off venture.
Pros
Solid management backing and leadership
Cons
Too conservative to grow the business effectively through online channels
A very well run tutoring company
Math, Reading and Writing Tutor (Current Employee) –  Encinitas, CASeptember 7, 2018
Sylvan is a fantastic tutoring company. It is a very relaxed environment with lots of help and assistance. I found the management literally would not let you fail. Not only that, the support and training was excellent. Not only did they help me be the best I could be, but I learned many new things that have helped me as a teacher. My only negative opinion about Sylvan was that the pay is rather low; however, this is quite normal in most tutoring centers. It is a shame I cannot turn my part time job here in to full time work. I would say that it is mostly a place for teachers to earn extra income. The management are really easy going, relaxed and supportive. It is a very positive environment with a high morale.
Pros
High morale, plenty of support, great training
Cons
Low pay, not many benefits, mostly a part time gig for full time teachers
Developing young minds
Act/Sat Test Prep Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLAugust 6, 2018
I was the ACT/SAT Test Prep tutor for 7 years and definitely enjoyed it. The program was easy to teach and the students were usually receptive to the instruction. I've had many success stories refer their friends which further increased business. The management was fair and always ensured I had hours. They also worked with the families and offered financial assistance when needed.
Pros
Chance to influence and develop young minds
Cons
Not full time
Excellent part-time job, especially if you're going back to school
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVAugust 3, 2018
I have had nearly no negative experiences working at Sylvan. I work both as a math tutor and as an ACT/SAT tutor, and the management at my current location has been both receptive and accommodating. While my previous location occasionally put me in positions that were not my forte (e.g. teaching young children reading), even they only did it when it was necessary due to teachers calling off ill. Additionally, while it's just a part-time job for many teachers, you can get extra hours filling in for IT, proctoring, etc. when it's your sole job while you work towards an additional degree. Working with the children is fantastic, and I always felt that my skills and weaknesses were respected while also offering training toward additional programs if you were interested and capable (e.g. robotics). The only issue I've had is that occasionally I get placed with low-level readers when it's really necessary. While I am happy to read, discuss, etc. concepts and vocabulary with younger children, I am not trained to teach them to read or understand very basic concepts... that is a very specific skill. But, honestly, that is very rare, and I am happy in my role 95% of the time and during those times I feel that I am truly am helping students. Overall, this is a great place to work, but I wouldn't make a full-time place to work unless the owner is heavily involved like how the current owner at my location is. At both locations (my previous location and my current one), this was a great part-time job for anyone who has good math skills. Early-learning tutors were also heavily respected.  more... Just make sure you understand that this is a part-time job for many, and you should be good. It may be different for different locations, but I've worked for two and have always been happy to show up to work. I was given a raise promptly under employment terms in both locations. I took the job in a new location because the experience was great in my first one.

(Disclaimer: I mainly tutor algebra I to pre-calc students. I cannot speak much for other groups, but they also seemed to be treated well.)
Pros
Working with students, flexibility, consistency, training, feedback, management.
Cons
Occasional sudden change in hours, rare full-time opportunities.
Good people, bad pay
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Salem, NHJuly 19, 2018
The management at the Salem center is amazing. They are super flexible and make you feel valued. The pay is not competitive at all. Sylvan requires all tutors be licensed teachers, but only pay between $11-$15 an hour.
Pros
Easy, Great Managers
Cons
Pay, No benefits
Center Director
CENTER DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAJuly 16, 2018
A Center Director wears many hats throughout the day and year. The job is stressful due to the sales demands. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to meet with families and talk to them about all the ways that Sylvan can help!
Teacher/Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Chaska, MNJuly 16, 2018
Sylvan Learning Center, Chaska MN has been a great place to work. It has flexible hours and will work with you to coordinate a schedule that is workable for all parties. The management is top notch and always puts the students first.
Pros
Teachers are able to earn points toward gift cards.
Fun working in smaller group setting.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 10, 2018
I enjoyed working for Sylvan because of a smaller group setting. Sylvan management team communicated with staff as needed. Attention was give to the overall growth or progress of the student.
Pros
Curriculum
Cons
Measurement of achievement.
great place to work
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Pearland, TXJuly 10, 2018
I have been at this job for two years. Each day is new because you tutor different kids. I see the improvement in students after 2 weeks. Good training and staff meetings. Open door policy if problem with anything with job can go and talk with director.
Pros
team work with management and teachers
Cons
low pay no benefits
Great place!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAApril 25, 2018
Worked with 3 students at a time. Curriculum was provided. Management was supportive. Other tutors were friendly. Some students can be difficult to work with.
Pros
Somewhat relaxed, depending on students.
Cons
Part-time
Enjoyed Working With Students
CENTER DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOApril 25, 2018
Sylvan was a good place to work if you enjoy helping kids learn and grow. There were no written guidelines for the job so at times things were always changing. The owner got very involved in the day to day operation and was over managing every little detail of the job. Micromanagement does not work well for me as I did not like this management style.Dealing with the staff of instructors was great and working with the students and seeing their progress over time was very satisfying.
Pros
Working with the students and staff
Cons
Micromanagement style

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sylvan Learning Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight