Symantec Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Senior Oracle DBA (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 18, 2018
It was a very nice to work for! The manager was the best! They did not have enought work for an oracle dba for long. Wish they did. I would have continued
Pros
many
wonderful place at first
would rather not say (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 17, 2018
between the Veritas/Symantec split there was a decline in morale and job security was extremely uncertain. catering to investors brought along many job losses and the constant feeling of being on the chopping block
Pros
wonderful people
Cons
job security
A good place to grow
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 16, 2018
I worked at Symantec during the period of time that they were splitting back into Veritas and Symantec. It was very chaotic, with lots of construction going on and people moving all over the place.

However, this meant that I got a very nice office in a location that few programmers seemed to be working in, and was able to work on a project that I was able to make entirely my own.

I really enjoyed working with every individual I was able to, and learned a lot from them. I don't believe that my experience would be able to help anyone trying to work there now, but I would still recommend anyone wanting to get into security to look into working there.
Stressful work environment - plus side, a lot of things to learn.
Associate Authentication Analyst (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 15, 2018
Stressful work environment - the plus side, a lot of new things to learn. Good place to start a career but not long term. Lack of direction from management.
Best working culture!
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 12, 2018
I worked at Symantec full-time

Pros

Best place I've worked, if you can live with unpredictable nature of the tech industry. Great benefits, great working environment, excellent diversity, volunteerism and matching funds. I learned a great deal and loved every moment.

Cons

Volatile nature of tech industry as a whole means shifting resource needs.
Reasonable place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CAApril 12, 2018
Formerly a good place to work, but the culture has changed with recent acquisitions that the company is still working through. Enjoyed most of my tenure at company.
Pros
Stable company
Cons
Low overall compensation
Poor management
Norton / LifeLock (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CA / Tempe AZApril 11, 2018
Management plays favorites, lacks strategic thinking, manages in a very old school style and focuses on petty items. Turnover of leaders is frequent.
Job was good but upper management didn't know what they were doing
Authentication Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 9, 2018
job was a good job. environment was friendly. Upper management didn't have a clue how to run the company which made for very poor decisions made on our behalf.

Pay was ok, can not survive living off the salary though.
Great people
Senior Principal Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 5, 2018
The people I worked with were very knowledgeable and eager to assist at any time. I enjoyed the remote position and management was fair and easy to work with.
Pros
Remote work
review
Sr. Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  springfield oregonApril 2, 2018
Symantec is a great company to work for. The company seems to be focused on shareholders at the moment and not the employees, unfortunately. They do offer a lot of nice benefits, but the lack of stability makes it difficult to be a relaxing workplace.
Pros
nice benifits
Cons
Frequent layoffs
workplace culture
Social Media Tech Support Engineer for Backup Exec (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORMarch 30, 2018
People here at all management levels were for the most part friendly and helpful.
Management gave some resources to make work efforts successful but some of the demands were focused more on numbers and lacked tools to really enable customer issue resolution.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
lack of training or easily accessible resources to meet many of managements demands
Great Job
Senior Manager Data Center Operations (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEMarch 25, 2018
Great place to work. I would recommend this place of work to all.
Great place to learn, lead, and implement new ideas.
Company is very good to its employees.
lack of leadership depth
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 20, 2018
Young leadership was in place based on personality not on competency. Get the job done, without considering the process or other components that are important from a compliance or defendability standpoint.
Pros
fast-paces
Cons
Leadership lack of knowledge
Symantec Review
Senior Program Manager - Technical Services (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, FLMarch 19, 2018
I don't believe I know enough about Symantec any more for this review to be of any value. I would feel uncomfortable stating anything about working at Symantec today since I have not been with them since 2015 and much has changed.
A global company
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORMarch 19, 2018
Symantec was my first professional job outside of college. That being said, obviously this was an entry level position. I was a contractor within the company working on a three month by three month contract. There was little training, little help, little of everything. Came away with a bad taste in my mouth for corporate finance. I wish my first experience in the field was better.
Pros
Freedom, salary, working remote
Cons
Little training, poor organization, no paid holidays, unsecure job
Flexibility depends on the team you are in
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMarch 19, 2018
The team was amazing and very talented. The applications are good and the management put a lot of in improving the technical stack. Resource allocation for projects are not very thought out. Flexibility and work life balance depends on your manager. Unlimited time off was implemented however was not practical due to amount of work
Excellent Growth Oriented Company
Global Travel Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORMarch 19, 2018
Great company, excellent benefits, constantly changing.

Enjoyed the people I worked with and engaged on a daily basis.

As an always changing and adaptive culture job security can be dicey.
Awesome work environment
Sr. IT Infrastructure Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMarch 13, 2018
Symantec acquired our group from VeriSign. We remained independent entity with no change in management. Excellent opportunity to learn new products and services.
Pros
Great team
Great Place To Work
Tier 3 Advanced Technician (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 13, 2018
I had the pleasure of working there for some time and would recommend it to anyone. They truly do strive to maintain the best talent, as if apparent in their benefits package.
Typical Day
Sr. Principal Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Heathrow, FLMarch 11, 2018
Open ended times to start end and have the opportunity to work remotely, if available. Was a great place to have a position. Great pay, great resources.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Symantec. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight