Symantec Employee Reviews

Found 658 reviews matching the search See all 1,058 reviews
Great for the resume, mixed thoughts on being a place to enjoy working at
Director, Development (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAApril 15, 2019
A great mix of assignments across a number of different solution spaces (PC, hosted and services). Decision making is largely opaque where you spend more time wondering whether you would have a job in a month, rather than how to deliver on this month's assignments. What your experience was, depending 75% on your manager.
Program Manager
Program Manager Intern - Encryption Team (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 10, 2019
Symantec is a big multi national company with lot of different practices solving multiple problems of clients using technology, industry expertise and business acumen.
Exciting Company Mission
Principal IT Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 9, 2019
The best part of working for Symantec is the fact that we help protect society from malicious criminals looking to hack or hold your computers for ransom. Cyber Security is so important in our ever connect world. Very Important Work!
Pros
Importance of company mission
Symantec is a good company to work
Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAApril 5, 2019
• Strong knowledge in C++, OOPS concepts, design principles & patterns, Linux and Windows OS
• Experienced in advanced level programming in C++ including shared pointers, multi-threading, multi-processing, concurrency, TCP/IP, UDP, Socket Programming
• Proficient with modern C++11 & C++14 including Lambda Expressions, Automatic Type Deduction, smart pointer classes
• Experience in Algorithms, data structures, object-oriented design, Multithreading programming with modern C++ 11
• Experience in developing applications using C, C++, VC++, MFC, COM/DCOM, STL, boost and Win32 API on Windows
• Experience in using SCM tools like Confluence, JIRA, and Configuration management tools like VSS, CVS, Perforce and SVN
• Strong Remote live debugging skills using VC++ IDE, dump analysis using WinDBG, dump creation, and used mostly Advance debugging tools from Sysinternals
• Experience in developing application using Casablanca C++ REST library to access HTTP and JSON based Cloud RESTful Web Services
• Experience in Database Systems like SQLite, Oracle, SQL Server, and PL/SQL
• Good experience in performing/supporting Unit testing, System Integration Testing (SIT, Product Standalone Testing for all the windows OS related applications
• Contribute to lead Architecture and Design activities
• Familiar with Core Java and Unix operating system
• Basic knowledge of scripting languages (Bash & Python)
• Experience on Agile methodology using Scrum
• Ability to apply Design Patterns and UML to design easily manageable and extendable applications
Soul draining
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 4, 2019
Starting the day and I couldn't wait for the end of the day. My team was depressed and moral was very low. The best part for working with this company was the vacation.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Latest boss was clueless and didn't have your back
One of the best companies to work for
Sr. Ops Engineer SRE & WebPortals Engineering (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ORMarch 25, 2019
I have worked for Symantec for almost 9 years and they have been good to me. A lot of downsizing in the last 5 years tho that did not affect me till just recently as I am being laid off.
Benefits
Cons
Downsizing and layoffs.
Good company, but too focused on the short term
Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 19, 2019
Symantec has some amazing security technology to work on.

There are tremendous opportunities to learn and grow skills at Symantec.

However, they are worried about an activist investor takeover, and so they are fighting to cut costs and shave margins to boost investor returns. This means that they are not prioritizing their stellar work force, and have instituted a pay freeze for the last 3 years. Time to look elsewhere.
Pros
Good technology
Cons
Company-wide pay freeze for the last 3 years
Low workload, mediocre developers, subpar products
Principal Software Developer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 18, 2019
Managers usually have been promoted to the position because good and competent people left.
Products are full of defects, while not much effort is put into improving them. Avoiding the defect fix gets sometimes to an unethical level.
Not recommended for you, if you are career minded.
Good Place to Work
Principal IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 12, 2019
Work culture is very good.
Got opportunity to learn Zuora application.
very good team and management.
every day we got an opportunity to learn new things.
working on agile methodology is always a challenging
very good team and management.
Honest place to work. Provide a good location to learn and progress.
Advanced Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLMarch 11, 2019
Very encouraging place to learn and grow.
Very fast pass at times but always providing a place to be encouraged to learn and grow.
Provided a place of family when the teams got together.
Nice company
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAFebruary 26, 2019
This position helped me hone my Business Analysis skills that was useful for future projects. Got introduced to Teamsite Content Management System. Great team to work with.
Pros
Great team and all members were on-site.
Cons
Less training programs
Competitive environment
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORFebruary 9, 2019
A typical day at work was talking with system administrators worldwide to solve problems affecting their network, email, exchange servers, sharepoint farms, NAS storage, esentially anything.
benefits
Cons
very structured time management
Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, FLFebruary 7, 2019
I liked working there my team was awesome! it is a great environment to learn and grow your skills Teamwork was encouraged and they were real good at recognizing and promoting overachievers.
Great Place to Work!
Pros
Collaborative environment
Symantec went through major changes including outsourcing jobs and closing the Springfield location
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORJanuary 29, 2019
Working at Symantec had many challenges , including both management and employee turnover . Job security was low and outsourcing and layoffs high. Eventually leading to the closure of the Springfield location
Pros
Great lunch room / cafe and Gym .
Cons
Late hours required
Great place to work and great people.
Senior Authentication Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJanuary 25, 2019
Working at Symantec, we worked as a team and individually when needed on projects. We knew our role and responsibilities and worked with little management. It was a positive work environment because of good management and hard working employees. Symantec hosted several team events annually which helped create great working relationships and team building. The service we provided to our customers was important, so we all took pride in the work we did. Working at Symantec was the best years yet.
Pros
Security and great place to work.
Cons
Business unit was sold.
I enjoyed the team i worked with
Sr. Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJanuary 15, 2019
My experience ant Symantec was very memorable. Served as Customer Authentication Services (CAS) Auditor for a major Certificate Authority. Worked to protect Symantec’s brands by auditing SSL certificates for compliance with SOX, SAS70, and Web Trust auditing standards.
Cons
under payed
N/a
Senior Communications Lead (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJanuary 15, 2019
No comments. The company was going through changes in leadership, so I am not wanting to review at this time. It is not fair to Symantec to rate the company. I am sure it's different now.
Pros
Cons
Unstable (at the time)
It was an ok place to work
Software Senior Document Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cupertino, CAJanuary 11, 2019
Teamed with Product Managers on new product launches from start to finish of releasing new software. • Created a process for identifying and managing the release of MAIs (Manufacturing Assembly Instructions)
Pros
Close to my house
Cons
Not good pay
It is a great place to build up a career
Sr Manager, Enterprise UX Operations (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAJanuary 8, 2019
There has been a lot of turnover on senior leadership which makes a lot of challenges around legacy systems and new vision. The pay and benefits are great (pay is comparable but the benefits are very good).

Product development timelines are tight and work is challenging. There will always be more to do than can be done in a given day, but the teams are great to work with. Some of the brightest in the industry.

It is a big corporation and it feels like it. A bit top down heavy, but working for industry leaders makes up for that. Being the big guy on the block in the industry gives a satisfaction for the wins that is hard to beat.
Pros
meals at crunch time. Great benefits and good pay.
Cons
regular senior leadership turnover, very schedule driven and somewhat siloed
a good company to work
Software Engineer - Product (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CADecember 26, 2018
The product is really well designed, people work so hard on rearchitect the features and improve the quality almost every release. The work is intense but you learn a lot from surrounded by experts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Symantec. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Symantec.

Powered by Comparably