Symantec Employee Reviews

Moving Target
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJune 15, 2018
This was culturally a great place to work with many motivated and creative team members. However, the constant layoffs and lack of vision from the upper management for my division made individual success difficult.
Pros
Cons
Lack of direction
Would not recommend
Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJune 13, 2018
Corporate culture is the epitome of stifling creativity and innovation. Management behave like robots. I would never recommend working for large corporations unless you do not want any freedom
A company in transition
IT (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJune 11, 2018
I don't think my experience at Symantec is representative of what the company looks like today. In my year in the organization there were a number of c-level changes which directly impacted my team's objectives and initiatives.
Top company making the most of its Cyber Security assets
Program Manager, Appliance Service Team (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAJune 5, 2018
Loved the business model and loyalty of channel partners
Really understand the importance of Service
Some of the best engineering around
Fantastic cyber security assets
Pros
Brilliant Co workers
Cons
Reorg takes too long
Overall not bad
Enterprise Account Executive (Former Employee) –  NortheastJune 4, 2018
Company issue was the inability of the company to fully and successfully implement the acquisition of Veritas. This led to difficulty in branding the company, its vision and execution. There were too many responsibilities in selling the whole portfolio.
Pros
Name, oppty
Cons
Management, Vision
terrible
Identity Theft Specialist (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TX 78550June 1, 2018
low pay, duties constantly changing. everyone hated it there but it was the highest paying job at 8.75 an hour. call centers take your soul away and never give it back
Pros
good co workers
Good People - Not an Innovation company.
Product (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMay 29, 2018
The consumer side knows how to push consumer product that is relatively meaningless but important to consumer's lives. Kind of like selling toothpaste - got teeth - need toothpaste, got computer - need antivirus. But for software and technological innovation - it simply does not have the culture to facilitate new and innovative tech. It could, but it needs to focus its manpower on selling its antivirus solution above the other one that does the exact same thing for the same price and the free one that comes with Windows..

Work life balance is spectacular as well as the people are a lot of fun to work with. Great place to be if you are ready to go out to pasture before retirement or if you are about to make a baby
Great Company!!!
Document Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMay 25, 2018
Symantec is a great company to work for. Provides you the opportunity to develop and grow. you are the owner of your future and can go as far as you want.
Didn't work there long
Physical Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mt.View CAMay 22, 2018
I didn't work at Symantec, Symantec bought the company I was working for and I stayed with this other company while the offices were being closed. I cannot give an honest review of Symantec.
Symantec was a great place to work
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 9, 2018
I have worked at Symantec years ago and witnessed the split that originated 2 entities, Symantec and Veritas. Symantec was a good company to work , strong culture, and good compensation and benefits but as of right now I heard lots of changes impacted the employee experience.
Workplace is the best
Lead Enterprise IT End User Technology (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAMay 8, 2018
People are the best in the company, wanted to see what's outside, it has been long time in this company. I have no complain about the company. Its a grate environment to work.
Excellent place to work!
SQA Specialist / Solaris Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 7, 2018
Fun, fast paced environment with relevant training opportunities. Excellent benefits, promotes internal promotion, opportunity to work with global teams.
Organizational Mess with Upside Potential
Manager (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTApril 27, 2018
At Symantec, your experience depends very much on who you know. But there has been som much change that the right people to know are ever shifting. The company is pretty average in terms of compensation and benefits. The CEO is good, but all of the VPs are extremely territorial and seem to be adversarial. The company is bloated with people who do not add value. But the company is positioned to do some very cool things in the market, and has a lot of potential for the future.
Nice place to work
Senior Oracle DBA (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 18, 2018
It was a very nice to work for! The manager was the best! They did not have enought work for an oracle dba for long. Wish they did. I would have continued
Pros
many
wonderful place at first
would rather not say (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 17, 2018
between the Veritas/Symantec split there was a decline in morale and job security was extremely uncertain. catering to investors brought along many job losses and the constant feeling of being on the chopping block
Pros
wonderful people
Cons
job security
A good place to grow
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 16, 2018
I worked at Symantec during the period of time that they were splitting back into Veritas and Symantec. It was very chaotic, with lots of construction going on and people moving all over the place.

However, this meant that I got a very nice office in a location that few programmers seemed to be working in, and was able to work on a project that I was able to make entirely my own.

I really enjoyed working with every individual I was able to, and learned a lot from them. I don't believe that my experience would be able to help anyone trying to work there now, but I would still recommend anyone wanting to get into security to look into working there.
Stressful work environment - plus side, a lot of things to learn.
Associate Authentication Analyst (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 15, 2018
Stressful work environment - the plus side, a lot of new things to learn. Good place to start a career but not long term. Lack of direction from management.
Best working culture!
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAApril 12, 2018
I worked at Symantec full-time

Pros

Best place I've worked, if you can live with unpredictable nature of the tech industry. Great benefits, great working environment, excellent diversity, volunteerism and matching funds. I learned a great deal and loved every moment.

Cons

Volatile nature of tech industry as a whole means shifting resource needs.
Reasonable place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CAApril 12, 2018
Formerly a good place to work, but the culture has changed with recent acquisitions that the company is still working through. Enjoyed most of my tenure at company.
Pros
Stable company
Cons
Low overall compensation
Poor management
Norton / LifeLock (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CA / Tempe AZApril 11, 2018
Management plays favorites, lacks strategic thinking, manages in a very old school style and focuses on petty items. Turnover of leaders is frequent.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Symantec. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.8Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.