Symantec Employee Reviews

Highly Skilled coworkers and great work ethic
Technical Director (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAOctober 15, 2018
Symantec is full of experts in cybersecurity. It is a great place to build your career in technology. Their products are state of the art and their environment is world class.
Interesting work
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAOctober 12, 2018
I was impressed at how well management understood what they needed from me yet allowed me autonomy to do my best. My work was technical enough to challenge me but creative enough to be fun.
Pros
Friendly and smart environment
Cons
Contract ended
Too many corporate/employee changes
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLOctober 8, 2018
Company has split from Veritas. Many layoffs. Corporate culture change. Managers jockey for positions. Politics ripe. Stressful sales organization.
Pros
Cons
Lack of company organization
Highly technical and fast paced
Senior Software Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Draper, UTSeptember 19, 2018
Symantec is a highly technical fast paced company to work for. They specialize in keeping customers secure in an insecure world. The company as a whole is concerned about the welfare of their employees and has many diverse programs to ensure a good work life balance.
Pros
Onsite cafeteria, good location, great working conditions
Cons
Mostly a Support site in Draper, not much of a development site.
Virtual Environmwent
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MASeptember 18, 2018
Very political environment, very cut throat. Not the easiest place to work at as they are very demanding and do not allow for a good balance between personal life, family and work time.
Fun working
Middleware Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 18, 2018
Typical day at work includes working on different issues. Attending meetings. Hardest part was the commute. But was fun working with symantic. Its the best work place.
bluecoat takover not good
Symantec Renewal Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORSeptember 17, 2018
Loved working at Symantec until the Bluecoat take over. Whole company went downhill to work for them after that and they let Symantec people go and put Bluecoat people in their place.
Symantec Work Atmosphere
VENDOR RELATIONSHIP MANAGER (Luxembourg) (Former Employee) –  LuxembourgSeptember 17, 2018
Overall my experience with Symantec was pleasant enough and I did enjoy working with colleagues from varied backgrounds, but as soon as I was brought up to speed and really felt I had a place with the company, they closed the office where I worked and made us all redundant.
Pros
Flexible hours, decent pay and benefits
Cons
They could be better about employee development and training, and being laid off with no opportunity to transfer made me feel I wasn't valued.
good people, ok business
Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORSeptember 17, 2018
I really liked the people that I worked with on a day to day basis. Advancement was difficult unless you were "in" with the right group that had worked together prior.

All in all it was a good experience.
company is in a state of transition over the past 3 years the culture has shifted and it is no longer a positive work environment
Information Technology Director (Former Employee) –  Remote, ORSeptember 14, 2018
Information Technology group is a very stressful, fast paced work environment. High demand, most people are working over 80 hours a week to ensure delivery of key programs and projects. New leadership is lacking the experience of running a large company and personnel and deliverables are now suffering.
Awesome place to work
Sr. Finance Manager - IT (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CASeptember 11, 2018
I loved the company and the team. the company is full of knowledgeable employees. I could go to anyone and ask to get to know the system. Managers were comfortable with details.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Compensation was low
Great company that is in a full on downward spiral
Senior Technical Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORSeptember 3, 2018
Symantec used to be a great to work for great bennies and leading edge software. Bad management and being beholden to stock holders to the point that they would can huge groups of people to make the the "numbers" look good. Moving support from Springfield where over 1000 techs did their job well and had vast amounts of knowledge and experience to Utah was a mistake. The techs there got less than 3 month of on the phone experience for products that typically take a year learn well has had a huge effect. This was terrible management and the worst part is they don't care.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Managment, Beholden to stockholders to a fault, souless corporation that only cares about profit at all cost.
Backline Engineers to assist with difficult problems with software.
Symantec Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORSeptember 2, 2018
Back Line Engineers have more than 10 years of specialized training and knowledge of the product they support.

Each Back Line Engineer is limited to intense training and knowledge of one Symantec Business Produce they are assigned to support.
Pros
Colleagues with more than 10 years experience with business products offered by Symantec.
Cons
Poor an undeveloped support tools for problem resolution.
Good
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAAugust 28, 2018
Symantec is the world’s leading cyber security company. It is also a company with global
data. People all over the world are relying on Symantec products to protect their personal
data and devices. I felt very honored to join Symantec to impact the whole world with data
protection. The most memorable part of my summer internship was the intern confluence
hold in Mountain View office to meet all the interns in US and had the chance to talk to
successful leaders of Symantec. This was very helpful for me to plan my future career path.
My favorite part about working at Symantec was my project presentation because my team
members liked my work and confirmed my contribution to the team. During internship, one
of the biggest growths I made was understanding the relationship between different
software systems which I cannot learn from school. The company culture emphasized work-
Life Balance and Innovation with many benefits to encourage employees to pursue hobbies
out of office.
QA ran itself - a well managed machine
QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, FLAugust 28, 2018
QA dept was divided into by topics to test. They were judged on the "bugs"they discovered. Most imortant - they were judged by the severity of the bug rather than the number of bugs. This was a driving factor that encouraged the teams to look deeper and provide quality feedback to the engineering teams.
management did an excellent job to provide teams with equipment to use for testing.
Lifelock was a great company
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tempe, ArizonaAugust 20, 2018
With the recent acquisition by Symantec, everyone who had knowledge and expertise was let go and replaced with very underqualified individuals or had their jobs outsourced to the Philippines or India. With their current projection to deliver identity/device based services to English speaking countries first leads to tons of unknowns. If Symantec/Lifelock keeps losing money like they have recently, no hesitation will be taken into letting people go.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Terrible breakrooms, inexperienced management, no opportunity for growth
Great company but didn't last long in Newport News
Principal Developer/Architect (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 14, 2018
Symantec is a great company... if you are located on the west coast.
The Newport News branch didn't operate long enough to benefit from the Symantec cultural values practiced in Santa Monica.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Newport News facility resisted Symantec corporate culture.
Employees stay for a long time
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAAugust 13, 2018
Longevity is a valuable asset, many employees stay for 5-10 years, which helps with retaining information over time. Employees who stay are valued and compensated.
Intern for SOC
Security Operations Center Security Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAAugust 6, 2018
As a security operations center Intern, I was exposed to the many different cyber security threats which are battled internally in the Symantec corporation. On a typical day the SOC team would be notified by all the treats occurring within the organization and we would prioritize which cases to be investigated by its level of risk. The hardest part of this job was learning the ticketing system and all the different components to prove what has occurred as well as ensuring proper escalation of threat incidents. The most enjoyable part of this job was learning about different networking tools and techniques that allowed us to find what has occurred and how to fix or escalate the incident.
Good place
Salesforce Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAAugust 2, 2018
Love the place. Beginning it was difficult for me to gel with the team, Fast Pace working, multiple tool knowledge required, Too many meetings, It took quiet some time to understand the work structure But i enjoyed and spent some good time with team

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Symantec. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.4Fairygodboss Score

40%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss