Symbria Employee Reviews

Don’t bother
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  IllinoisFebruary 22, 2019
Managers are more concerned w numbers and minutes. When I left I didn’t look back. I was bullied and ostracized when I complained to management about an unethical situation . I was just a warm body who could do evals
Pros
Cons
This space is too small
March 4, 2019

I am sorry to hear your unfavorable opinion of your time with Symbria. We take employee input seriously and have multiple channels to solicit employee input and help resolve issues. I am sorry we did not get the opportunity to do that with you. I welcome the chance to connect with you now. Reach out to me through our website Contact page if you are willing to talk.

– VP Operations, Brad Miller

Worst employer, worst upper management
Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Western PAFebruary 8, 2019
If you could imagine the most cold-hearted people managing a healthcare related company, that would be the regional management team for Symbria. Not patient-centered care, and certainly not employee-centered. I loved my coworkers, and we had one of the best therapy teams, in one of the nicest skilled nursing facilities in Western PA, but Symbria found a way to make everyone’s lives miserable there. I guess it says a lot when 10 therapists leave in the span of a year, from one facility. They preach being employee owned...Do you know what that actually means? It means they can pitch the idea of no annual raises, because you know, that way they are saving “you” money. Congrats, you “own” a part of the company, and when you leave in 20 years you can cash out your benefits, which might amount to $1,000. You know what might have been more profitable? Just giving you a 1% raise every year.
The best decision I ever made was leaving. Moving to a company where you actually hear the words “thank you” and know that you are truly appreciated makes for a more enjoyable career. Would I recommend Symbria to anyone, even new grads needing a job? Hard no. Waitress or work retail until another therapy job becomes available in the area.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
No flexible hours, unethical, no 401k
February 21, 2019

I’m sorry to see your unfavorable opinion of the company. It’s good to know you loved your co-workers and your facility; we take pride in the quality and caring of our staff and in the communities in which we work. We understand that becoming an employee-owned company is a new direction that many staff don’t fully understand. Our ownership team, formed just over a year ago, has been focusing on education, communication and engagement around the basics of our ESOP plan and have received positive feedback from employees recently. We are committed to building our employee owner culture while we achieve our financial and client goals, and welcome employee feedback along the way. Feel free to reach out to me via our company website Contact page if you are willing to discuss your feedback with me.

– Brad Miller, VP Operations

Strong contract rehab company - serves quality skilled nursing facilities
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicagoland, ILFebruary 6, 2019
I enjoy working at Symbria as they have proven to have strong values and ethics. The company is careful to develop contracts and relationships with skilled nursing facilities whose values align with the companies. Benefits are good, PTO is fairly flexible, and company has shown positive signs of growth in the past few years.
February 21, 2019

Thank you for making the time to share your feedback with others. Great to see the positive comments!

-Brad Miller, VP Operations

For The Veterans
PRN COTA (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 15, 2019
Providing services to Veteran's with complicated medical diagnosis to include PTSD. Patients require thick skinned, dedicated, caring individuals that provide services that are client based, and creative to increase highest level of independence and success for patients.
Pros
Veteran's
Cons
Hard work which requires adaptability to sudden change
February 5, 2019

Thank you for making time to share your input with others. We are grateful to America’s veterans for their service, and for employees like you who are dedicated to their care.

- Brad Miller, VP Operations

A great place to start working as a new hired graduate to gain experience.
Exercise Scientist / Training Provider / Assessor (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 13, 2019
It was very flexible with hours, manage group and individual physical assessments with clients at the resident group home. Opportunity to grow Relationship building with clients. Benefits were not applicable for part-time. Wish there was more equipment in the gym to expand physical dynamic exercises to patients over 65 years old and limit physical abilities.
Pros
The staff, the company, the people, the culture, the experience
Cons
not enough staff, wish it payed more, more benefits for part time
January 18, 2019

Thank you for the great review. We are thrilled to hear you had such a positive experience and are willing to share it with others in this forum. We regularly review our staffing levels, pay and benefits both internally and in comparison to the market so that we can compete for top talent. We appreciate your insights and feedback!

– Sandy Stoub, Director of Wellness Services

Up to date company/strong team atmosphere
Therapist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 31, 2018
I work with a great team and also travel to other sites and find good teamwork. Productivity is reasonable (I have worked with other companies asking for higher) and Symbria offers good benefits.

We have a lot of staff that have been with the company a very long time and I have received great training from these therapists.

I don't totally understand the benefits of being an ESOP but like being part of an employee owned company.
Pros
teamwork, experienced staff
January 3, 2019

Thanks for the feedback. I am glad to see you are having a great experience. To learn more about our ESOP, you can visit your My Symbria page, click the tile labeled Employee Owner Resources, and review the videos and documents posted there. Thanks again for the feedback!
- Brad Miller, VP Operations.

Laid back, but unresponsive
PTA (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaDecember 29, 2018
I was fine working with this company until they paid me for only half the time I had worked on a Sunday (not my favorite day of the week to work). They had technological issues with their IPads which prevented 3 of my notes from being uploaded or from signing out for the day. I had proof I was there for the entire day. I raised the issue to my manager and was told on 2 separate occasions that she would follow up with her district manager to resolve it. It never was, and I was never legitimately reimbursed for my time. Not only is that unethical, but it borders on being illegal. I haven't worked with them since.
Pros
Autonomous work environment
Cons
Unethical
January 3, 2019

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am sorry this occurred. It is our policy to pay for all time worked, and I apologize this issue has remained open. I want to make it right. Would you please contact our HR team at 630-413-5800, option #2, and ask to speak with Maureen Yavaraski or Mary Pollard so that they can help us to resolve this issue? Again, I am sorry this happened, it is not representative of who we are or how we treat our employees.

Unscrupulous Company 100% employee owned is a joke
PT (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 11, 2018
Symbria stresses 100% employee owned however its worth so little getting a 401k match would be worth so much more. Constantly violating HIPPA texting patient names and info when you complain you are retaliated against. Also if you come up short on that RUG level your regional or manager will change your minutes or ask you to readjust or even worse use the PROXY button and blatantly change minutes or treatments.
Pros
To expensive unable to attract contracts wont ruin other facilities
Cons
Hippa Violations, Putting License at Risk
January 7, 2019

As an employee owned company, we are fortunate to have a greater impact not only on the overall performance, but the culture of our company. Symbria is committed to establishing high standards and ethical conduct in its business and operational practices and hire high integrity individuals to support those goals, including regional management teams and therapists and that have helped Symbria solidify our high-quality reputation in the market. Likewise, we are committed to protecting the privacy of Individually Identifiable Health Information and have a strong compliance program in place to ensure adherence. Although you are no longer with Symbria, I encourage you to reach out to me or a compliance officer through our website contact option; we welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns in more detail.
– Brad Miller, VP Operations

All image, little substance. Hard work rewarded with complaints.
PTA (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 10, 2018
This once was a good company to work for, where upper management showed their faces and seemed to genuinely care about the concerns of their worker bees and the well-being of the patients. There are still some good people in lower-management positions (though their viewpoints mean next-to-nothing), but at this point, I don’t know the last time I even laid eyes on upper management. Taking care of their employees, as well as doing what is actually right for the patients, is now the furthest thing from their minds. The old adage ‘the customer is always right’ should not be the standard in health care, but is certainly the case with this company. In a time when treatment minutes are being decreased by HMO’s and more is expected in less time, it is simutaneously expected by this company that therapists bow to the wishes of the patient, even if that means wasting the entirety of their visit on redundant activities that don’t benefit that patient. You may as well let patients dictate their own treatments, regardless of logic and reason, lest you run the risk of upsetting them because they were physically challenged by the activity (which is, of course, what the point of physical therapy so often is). And if you determine that patient isn’t going to participate, and therefore should be discharged... be prepared to defend yourself as though you’ve done something wrong when caseload is not as high as management would like. Also, be prepared to be instructed to keep that patient on your schedule, regardless of appropriateness, to keep caseload high. This company is all about numbers  more... and image, and cares little about either their employees or their patients.  less
Pros
Flexible with personal schedules.
Cons
Unrealistic expectations. Detached management.
December 21, 2018

Thank you for expressing your opinions, I am sorry you have a negative impression of your recent time at Symbria. Our senior management team strives to stay in touch with employees through a variety of channels, and travel is often limited by our budget constraints. We rely on our regional directors and program managers to help communicate key information and represent leadership on a regular basis. One core tenant we have at Symbria is the belief that patients have rights when it comes to their treatment. We firmly believe in partnering with our clients at the treatment facilities, and with patients themselves, to plan and execute treatment plans that are mutually agreed upon and drive to positive patient outcomes. We advocate for patient involvement in their care, and expect our employees to do the same. I’m always willing to engage in dialog with current or former employees to discuss and learn from their experiences. Please reach out to me via our company contact function if you are willing to talk.
-Brad Miller, VP of Operations

Poor management, not ethical
Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  IndianaNovember 1, 2018
Poor management, ignore requests, do what’s best for making money/business vs what’s best for the patients and therapists. Not given adequate equipment for job.
November 13, 2018

Thank you for raising your concerns. We take comments like these very seriously and are committed to taking action when an employee, client or patient raises any concern. For example, in an Indiana community whose business we recently acquired, we have been working with the client to order much-needed equipment that had to be forfeited when the former provider left the community, partnering with our therapists to develop our equipment wish list. We also took immediate action when a patient complained about our therapy start times, implementing a change to address the concern and improve consistency with our practices in other buildings owned by that client. We are committed to doing what is right for our patients, and to address employee-owner concerns. As a current employee, I strongly encourage you to bring these concerns directly to your supervisor, regional director, or me so we can have a productive dialog and focus on potential solutions. You can reach me via the Symbria Email directory if you are willing to speak directly.
– Brad Miller, VP Operations

Nice co-workers, but poor management
Respiratory Therapist and Pulmonary Rehab (Former Employee) –  Warrenville, ILOctober 24, 2018
Company not interested in employees at all. Low wages. The autonomy for patient care was good, allows critical thinking, but management lacked respect for employees.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
low wages, poor job security
March 11, 2019

I’m sorry to read about your experience. Your comments do not reflect the culture we strive to create for our employee-owners. I would appreciate hearing more from you. Please reach out to me via our company contact page if you are willing to talk.

Words not Deeds
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Warrenville, ILOctober 7, 2018
This is a corporation made of words not deeds. Technically it is employee owned (which is highly touted) but employees are absolutely powerless and voiceless. The CEO routinely axes staff members (many of them long-timers) and replaces them with new people with retooled titles, which has weakened the infrastructure. This creates a pervasive atmosphere of confusion and turmoil that trickles downwards and outwards. Otherwise decent executives/managers (and make no mistake, there are good people here) are forced to tow the company line, to be evasive to their direct reports, to put the dollar bottom line first, to temper their natural kindness, to please their unpleasable boss. Loyalty is expected but not given. Raises/rewards, if any, are miniscule. Morale is low. Unease is rampant because it’s either minimized (‘suck it up’) or not addressed at all. This is a corporation that may have once been a good place to work but now grinds employees down, treats them like resources not humans, and wonders why people are fleeing.
October 15, 2018

We are sorry that your experience with Symbria was disappointing. When business needs change, it is the responsibility of senior leadership to make timely organizational changes that will support continued success for the company and its employee-owners. Like many companies, Symbria has both added and eliminated roles over the years. We try to communicate the ‘why’ of decisions but because it is important to protect the privacy of individuals, we don’t share specifics about roles changes. Our intent is to treat each employee with respect. I would welcome the opportunity to hear more about your experience. If you are willing to share it, please contact me.
– Deb Bragg, Chief HR officer

Great company
Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Watertown, WIOctober 1, 2018
A typical day is providing therapy for in house or at home clients. Working on the schedule of the client or other departments. The workplace culture is providing the best care for each client. Hardest part of the job is keeping your schedule maintained and fitting them in with meals and appointments. The most enjoyable part of the job is the coworkers are great and they all work as a supportive team.
October 9, 2018

Thank you for making time to share your feedback here. Your insights into both the day-to-day experience and work culture will help others better understand what it’s really like to work at Symbria. I am happy to see such a positive review. Your comments reflect what we often hear from our employees about their peers; we are proud of our employee-owners and how they support each other and our clients. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.
– Brad Miller, VP Operations.

Employees Don't Matter
Symbria (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILSeptember 30, 2018
This company does not care about it's employees as humans. It is strictly a business transaction where the main importance is the bottom line. Your hard work does not matter in the end.
October 3, 2018

We are sorry that your experience with Symbria was disappointing. When business needs change we try hard to find work options for our employees. That isn’t always possible and, in those cases, our sincere intent is to communicate honestly and treat each employee with respect. I would welcome the opportunity to hear more about your experience. If you are willing to share it, please contact me via our company email system so we can set up a time to connect.
– Deb Bragg, Chief HR Officer

Atmosphere is great at work.
Occupational Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 11, 2018
I could deal with being paid slightly less than some other places in the area if I was actually getting full time work. Productivity at 90% when you only have 1/3 of the beds full makes it difficult to make a living. PTO is going towards supplementing income to maintain cost of living and benefits. Wondering if the executives care about the people that actually do patient care and/or the patients.
Pros
Great team, good program manager, great location
Cons
High productivity standards are sometimes unrealistic, makes promises it can't keep or that negatively effect local team without being present
September 21, 2018

I appreciate you posting about your experience so others can learn from you. I am glad to see the positive comments about your local team- we take teamwork and patient care very seriously! At the same time, I recognize your frustration about using PTO to maintain your full-time benefit status. When patient census drops, we try to adjust schedules as best we can, but sometimes come up short on the provision of work hours to all of our employees, and PTO is needed to bridge the gap. Though achieving 90% productivity can be challenging at times, it is within industry norms and it is a target that we set to deliver on our business commitments. We strive to improve our work environment, client partnerships, and patient outcomes; listening to employee concerns and suggestions is important to us. If you are willing to share your feedback directly with me, please contact me via our company email system so we can set up a time to connect.
–Brad Miller, VP Operations

Nursing staff and therapy staff
Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 6, 2018
The location I worked, was poorly managed. Census was low due to multiple state violations. Poor patient reviews due to multiple complaints about nursing.
Pros
Pto
Cons
consistently wanting to increase concurrent treatment
September 21, 2018

Thank you for making time to share your feedback on your work experience. As a therapy provider to different facility owners, we know there is variability in facility management and practices, as well as patient experience. We partner with our facility clients to do whatever we can to improve their patient outcomes and satisfaction while enhancing operation efficiencies. To address your concern about an increase in concurrent treatment, there are many modes of therapy that are acceptable within Medicare and Managed Care guidelines. As an innovative provider of rehab services, we want to be certain that our therapy teams consider every possible treatment approach to assist the resident in obtaining the best possible clinical outcome. We will continue to work with this and other facilities, and our staff, to implement solutions that maximize patient outcomes and support business needs. I welcome the opportunity to hear more about your work experience and improvement ideas – please feel free to reach out to me via our company website if you are willing to speak with me directly.

work
Respiratory Care Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Lansdale, PAAugust 29, 2018
I am left to work independently , making my own schedule and caseload, working and managing 3 buildings weekly and balancing my schedule as needed per building census and acuity
September 7, 2018

Thank you for making time to share your experience. You are describing the Respiratory Therapist (RT) program accurately. We do aim to have each skilled resident seen five times per week, and set position expectations and processes to ensure that the program continually grows and evolves to meet the needs of the community. Our RT’s are responsible for managing their own caseload and balancing their own schedule. Thank you again for sharing your feedback, please feel free to further discuss your thoughts or suggestions with your manager or directly with me.
– Brad Miller, Vice President, Operations.

good company
COTA F/T (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INAugust 22, 2018
great managers, flexible schedule, offers continue education easy to communicate needs to supervisors, policies clear and apply to everyone, vacation time reasonable
August 27, 2018

Thank you for making the time to share your thoughts on working at Symbria. I’m glad to see you had such a positive experience!
– Deb Bragg, Chief HR Officer

Great pharmacy job
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Woodridge, ILAugust 3, 2018
I was happy at Symbria. When i left, it was due to needing to work closer to home. For job hunting, they are the first place i look. Supervisors were accomodating in adjusting shift if needed
November 13, 2018

Thank you for going out of your way to share your positive feedback with others on this platform. I am glad to hear it, and welcome you back in the future if the right opportunity and location work for you.
– Jay Mandra, VP Pharmacy Operations

Great Advancement Opportunities
LONG TERM CARE PHARMACY FILL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Woodridge, ILJuly 5, 2018
I was presented with a promotion within the first 2 months of starting at Symbria. This new position gave me the opportunity to apply my professional skills set and promote a new business venture.
July 25, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I’m happy to hear we were able to provide you with a career advancement opportunity while furthering Symbria’s business interests. What a great win/win story – thanks for sharing!
– Jay Mandra, VP Pharmacy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Symbria. Our community is ready to answer.