Symbria Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Partners with great companies
Therapy Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHJune 30, 2018
Expected to do the duties of a manager, staffing coordinator, administrative assistant, and rehab tech. Worked an average of 70 hours a week at the facility on the clock as well as working from home in a salaried position. Continuously compared to their other facilities which had 80% less patients. Shared staff with other facilities in the area which was good for staff because they could travel to get 40hrs a week but as a manager of the largest facility with more staff I was expected to rearrange my schedule to accommodate the smaller facilities. The company says providing the better patient care than other competitors in the are is their number one priority however they are concerned with productivity and revenue just as much if not more than other companies.
I was blessed to work with an amazing group of therapists that truly cared for the patients that they worked with. Symbria has contracts at some great facilities.The management team at the facility I worked at was top notch.
Pros
Excellent caring therapy team, Great Facility Management team, Good benefits
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, support decreased as duties increased, low pay
July 25, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We couldn’t agree more with your take on our partners and employees; we are fortunate to have great partners to work with and a team of talented therapists that provide excellent patient care. As a former manager, you were in a challenging role, balancing many responsibilities and details of the position while also ensuring quality patient care and a healthy bottom line. We do our best to support more than 200 program managers with resources, training, and coaching. We are committed to continually improving the work environment, patient care and client service; hearing and responding to concerns and suggestions is an important part of our commitment. If you have suggestions for how we could improve our manager support, I welcome the opportunity to have a discussion. If you do not recall my email address, you may reach out through our company website to request my information so we can connect. – Brad Miller, VP Operations

Unhappy and overworked. 90% Productivity is a joke.
Clinician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 5, 2018
Don't work here. They don't walk the talk. Impossible productivity standard to achieve. So much so that management puts the decision to work for free or break the law by seeing multiple patients concurrently on the employee to achieve the 90% standard. They also make the employee find their own replacement staff if they want to take PTO for vacation. Many, many employees have stories about missing weddings, reunions, important life event occasions because they couldn't find their own replacement for time off they were approved to take. Ridiculous.
July 12, 2018

I am very sorry to see your negative feelings about our company but I want to thank you for being candid. I want to assure you that we have heard your feedback and would like to share information related to the issues being raised again. We have productivity standards that are common in our industry, support our business needs, and are attained by most of our therapists. We encourage our employees to work with their managers if they have concerns or difficulties meeting those standards but working off the clock is NOT an acceptable practice and is addressed in our employee handbook and in management communications. We are passionate about providing our Residents with the greatest opportunity to meet his/her optimal clinical outcome. In an effort to meet the needs of those that we service in the most efficient and effective manner, we continually explore and educate on the use of the modes of treatment available to our Managers and direct care providers. We will never ask staff to do anything outside acceptable guidelines. In fact, we are frequently praised in employee surveys for being a highly ethical company, and Integrity is one of our five core values. Covering for time off requests is always a challenge in a business like ours where we work 365 days/year. We ask our staff to help us find coverage, but the primary responsibility for coverage lies ultimately with the supervisor, and every effort is made to accommodate PTO requests in accordance with our time off policies. Again, thank you for your candor, and former service. – Brad Miller, VP Operations

had nice coworkers to work with,
Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrenville, ILMay 23, 2018
I was the 7th therapist to leave Symbria for other reasons. Difficulty obtaining full 40 hour week and had to use PTO to fill in hours not filled with work assignments
July 12, 2018

Thank you for sharing your input, and for your former contributions as an team member. Because our business is tied to census and caseload, fluctuations in those areas does affect our employee schedules and work hours. When this occurs, we aim to shift our full time employees to other facilities to fill their schedules. When this is not feasible, we do ask employees to use PTO to fill hours to maintain their full-time status. It is not ideal, and it is a problem we have been investigating lately for better alternatives. Thank you again for sharing your observations from when we were on our employee-owner team. -Brad Miller, VP Operations.

Wonderful Company
PROGRAM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Warrenville, ILApril 18, 2018
Corporate office very supportive. Family like atmosphere!! the directors always conducted meetings monthly that kept us in the loop of any changes or new things to come with the company. they provided a lot of training which was great.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Travel
April 30, 2018

Thanks for making time to share your positive experience. We are glad to hear about it, and appreciate you sharing it with others! –Deb Bragg, Chief HR Officer

Treated like a subcontractor
Therapist (Current Employee) –  MissouriJanuary 20, 2018
- productivity is expected to be 90%
- no time off unless you find your own replacement
- management and corporate say that they care about their employees but they do nothing to prove it
- broken equipment is unsafe but it won't be replaced or fixed
- you are not paid for lunch and are expected to work through it. If you want a lunch you have to clock out for a half an hour.
- as a therapist you have many bosses. You have your director you have your manager you have a lead therapist you have the patient you have the patient's family and you have the community staff you're a nobody
- if you make complaints about the community staff that are legitimate the community can request that you leave their facility and you'll either be fired or you're sent to a different facility
- you will not have one facility alone that you work at. You are sent to any facility they wish to send you to. You have no say. If you have dual state license you are expected to work in both States. No pay differential for doing that.
- you are required to work every holiday of the year except for Christmas and Thanksgiving. That's it!
- you are required to work every other weekend. The day off during the week for working on Saturday or Sunday is not your option it is chosen for you.
- no annual raises. Not even cost of living races. I've been there for years zero raise.
- not enough computers for everyone to document on. The software has many many glitches.
Pros
Benefit package is competitive.
Cons
Employees don't matter and are considered replaceable.
March 12, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I want to apologize for the negative experiences you cited, and assure you that you and other employees do matter – we take feedback like this very seriously. After seeing your post, our HR team immediately forwarded it to the regional director for your area and asked her to look into the concerns, especially the broken equipment. I agree that broken equipment can be unsafe and patient safety has been and always will be a top priority for us. We consistently review the state of our equipment and our standing policy is to repair or replace as quickly as possible. The satisfaction of our employees is critical to the success of our company, and while I did not address each of your concerns individually, I encourage you to contact me directly to discuss this further. You can find me in our Symbria employee email directory.
–Brad Miller, VP of Operations

not worth your time
COTA/L (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJanuary 17, 2018
poor management, no communication, you work what they tell you and end up doing your documentation after you clock out to be "productive, run, don't even go for an interview
Pros
pay was fair
Cons
it's all about the money
March 12, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write this response. I sincerely apologize for the negative experience you had. To improve communication, earlier this year we provided Symbria email accounts to all employees so we can better share company information. Please feel free to email our HR team at AskHR@Symbria.com for additional input or communication suggestions. While we certainly strive to maximize productivity, it should never translate into mandating documentation work after clocking out. We will reiterate this policy with all of our program managers to help ensure compliance. We also have begun to deliver leadership development courses to strengthen our manager’s skills and ultimately all employees’ work experiences. Please contact me if you would like to discuss these issues further or provide deeper insights. You can find me in our Symbria employee email directory.
–Deb Bragg, Chief HR Officer

Terrible management. No real support
Rehabilitation Director (Former Employee) –  PADecember 21, 2017
I took a position as a program manager at a facility that Symbria got the Rehab contract for. I was given very little training and I had to beg for that. It was not a nice company to work for- they are ALL about the money. Quality of care and concern for their employees is ALWAYS of less importance than the money. They will not pay you for the full time they hired you for- even travelled to other facilities to try to get my 40 hours- still didn’t happen. Upper management are egomaniacs to say the least. Minimal to non-existent staff training. Absolutely ZERO orientation. But, the money really is their primary focus.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Poor management, poor training, only slightly better than a Cracker Jack organization.
Promises the world but cant deliver
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  PaNovember 30, 2017
I was a manager of a difficult contract for 6 yrs. my regional dir gave me very little support and only contacted me when we were underperforming but never returned emails or calls when i needed support. My RD fired my PT who was very good without a discussion with me and replaced her with a therapist with poor integrity and horrible clinical skills. When it didnt work out it was my problem to deal with alone. HR is clueless although nice. Symbria promised me a non traditional envt that was not productivity based but after 6 mths with the company they attenpted to enforce a high productivity envt. They are low paying and far too much bs to deal with.
Symbria- Not recommended
Employee (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, ILOctober 19, 2017
Business Line leaders stand in the way of growth and innovation with their limited experiences outside of the organization, poor to non-existent processes, arrogance, eat their young ethics and lack of respect from the industry and their own employees.

Customers are promised solutions from leadership team but there is seldom follow through. Business line leaders do not implement new policies and procedures and do not monitor current systems for effectiveness.

CEO supports a culture of gossip, backstabbing and segregation by rewarding those that behave in this manner.
Pros
clinical and customer facing staff are excellent at their jobs
Cons
CEO is flighty, inconsistent, rude and abrassive
High productivity, lots of work off the clock
Therapist (Current Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 17, 2017
Evaluating therapist with high productivity standard, multiple assistants to supervise, little PRN help, a lot of work off the clock to get everything done and not get reprimanded for low productivity. Have to supplement hours with PTO. Full time is 30 hours, but if you take PTO, have to take 40 for a week. Have to work weekends, holidays with no incentive. Pay is low for the area. Regional management never acknowledges emails, successes.....Not sure how long I can stay here.
Pros
Great facility
Cons
Productivity, Pto, work load
No help when needed.
Respiratory Care Practitioner (Former Employee) –  OhioSeptember 7, 2017
I was hired for a new program they was starting at a facility. They told me about how things was done some place else then left me to figure things out for myself. The facility had no idea what they where doing and would not help with anything I needed. Every time I would contact management I didn't get any help. Nothing was ever solved. When I finally had enough and told them I was going to leave the company they never got back to me till after I gave my notice and they didn't understand why I would leave. so be ready to be dropped into a work place and figure everything out on your own.
Cons
no training
Management is clueless
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Greenville, PAJuly 11, 2017
Program managers supervise disciplines who they have no idea what the other's job entails,i.e. Occupational therapist supervising respiratory therapist. Managers offer no constructive criticism and ignore staff. They gathers "incriminating " evidence that surfaces only at the time of your review instead of discussing problems as they arise. Management blatantly lies on yearly evaluations. You are graded on a scale of 1-5. I was told per company policy that no one can score a 3 or above. A 2 is just showing up for work. This employee owned company will spend all its profits on-boarding new employees because they don't pay good employees what they are worth. If you choose to work for this company be sure to keep your resume handy. You'll be looking for a new job in a little over a year.
Pros
Cons
Poor managers.
N/a
Certified Occupational Therapy assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2017
N/A I am not going to say anything good or bad about a company it was not a good fit for myself. pay is good management is well. not sure what else to say
Unreliable Company, Profit Before People
Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTApril 24, 2017
Started as a new grad, given zero training. Company has a culture of "gaslighting" and denying/ignoring any legitimate concerns brought to their attention. Not to be trusted, but an easy job for lower than average wages. Unsteady and unreliable hours. I ran out of this company as soon as I was licensed.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Zero Training, Non Supportive Upper Management & HR, Unreliable Hours
It's fine.
COTA/L (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2017
I enjoy my patients and the people I work with, but management is kind of disorganized. Keep on them if you want things done. Make sure you follow up on any promises that they have made.
Symbria
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, ILFebruary 15, 2017
Symbria is a good company to work for, however the billing department lacks structure and consistency. One or more of the managers is lazy and does not understand how business is conducted.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Great benefits! TERRIBLE management!
Former employee (Former Employee) –  MaineJanuary 26, 2017
Be prepared to be lied to, misled, and dumped into a facility with absolutely NO training (to include the facility not having any clue or training as to their new program which was put out by Symbria/Alliance Rehab either), NO support, and a "manager" who doesn't know if he is a "district" manager or a "regional" manager, who has anger issues and a severe case of little big man complex. Be prepared for ignored emails and phone calls, because that's all you'll get when you have a question that requires an answer. Also, be prepared to give a LOT of your own off the clock time to this company! They'll suck the life right out of you.
Benefits
Cons
Management, training, time
Rehab Tech
Rehab Technician (Former Employee) –  Meadville, PANovember 1, 2016
I enjoyed working as a tech and part of the therapy team with this company.
unfortunately, as a tech you bring nothing to the table as far as revenue, so your not seen as or appreciated like a therapists.
I left my job because the building i worked in was extremely large and overwhelming plus running for 7+ therapists plus doing your job became absolutely exhausting at times. when raises was passed around it wasn't very much for the work you did. Manager told me i would never make that much there so I left.
Pros
day shift, flexible schedule, great coworkers
Cons
management, raises, stressful at times, lousy pay
Fun working environment
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILSeptember 19, 2016
- 9-3 Mon/Tues/Wed/Fri
-2-3 classes a day
-I work alone, but coworkers at the facility are amazing
-pretty easy job as long as you know what you are doing
-love working with senior citizens
Pros
clientele are awesome/hours are really good
Cons
want full time/little more pay
Company has good benefits and multiple job sights
Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILSeptember 1, 2016
Good company to work for, lots of facilities throughout the Chicago land area, good benefits package. I love the people and the ability to move around if things are slow in one facility.
Pros
BCBS heathcare
Cons
not many southside facilities