Symbria Employee Reviews

Great company
Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Watertown, WIOctober 1, 2018
A typical day is providing therapy for in house or at home clients. Working on the schedule of the client or other departments. The workplace culture is providing the best care for each client. Hardest part of the job is keeping your schedule maintained and fitting them in with meals and appointments. The most enjoyable part of the job is the coworkers are great and they all work as a supportive team.
October 9, 2018

Thank you for making time to share your feedback here. Your insights into both the day-to-day experience and work culture will help others better understand what it’s really like to work at Symbria. I am happy to see such a positive review. Your comments reflect what we often hear from our employees about their peers; we are proud of our employee-owners and how they support each other and our clients. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.
– Brad Miller, VP Operations.

Employees Don't Matter
Symbria (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILSeptember 30, 2018
This company does not care about it's employees as humans. It is strictly a business transaction where the main importance is the bottom line. Your hard work does not matter in the end.
October 3, 2018

We are sorry that your experience with Symbria was disappointing. When business needs change we try hard to find work options for our employees. That isn’t always possible and, in those cases, our sincere intent is to communicate honestly and treat each employee with respect. I would welcome the opportunity to hear more about your experience. If you are willing to share it, please contact me via our company email system so we can set up a time to connect.
– Deb Bragg, Chief HR Officer

Atmosphere is great at work.
Occupational Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 11, 2018
I could deal with being paid slightly less than some other places in the area if I was actually getting full time work. Productivity at 90% when you only have 1/3 of the beds full makes it difficult to make a living. PTO is going towards supplementing income to maintain cost of living and benefits. Wondering if the executives care about the people that actually do patient care and/or the patients.
Pros
Great team, good program manager, great location
Cons
High productivity standards are sometimes unrealistic, makes promises it can't keep or that negatively effect local team without being present
September 21, 2018

I appreciate you posting about your experience so others can learn from you. I am glad to see the positive comments about your local team- we take teamwork and patient care very seriously! At the same time, I recognize your frustration about using PTO to maintain your full-time benefit status. When patient census drops, we try to adjust schedules as best we can, but sometimes come up short on the provision of work hours to all of our employees, and PTO is needed to bridge the gap. Though achieving 90% productivity can be challenging at times, it is within industry norms and it is a target that we set to deliver on our business commitments. We strive to improve our work environment, client partnerships, and patient outcomes; listening to employee concerns and suggestions is important to us. If you are willing to share your feedback directly with me, please contact me via our company email system so we can set up a time to connect.
–Brad Miller, VP Operations

Nursing staff and therapy staff
Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 6, 2018
The location I worked, was poorly managed. Census was low due to multiple state violations. Poor patient reviews due to multiple complaints about nursing.
Pros
Pto
Cons
consistently wanting to increase concurrent treatment
September 21, 2018

Thank you for making time to share your feedback on your work experience. As a therapy provider to different facility owners, we know there is variability in facility management and practices, as well as patient experience. We partner with our facility clients to do whatever we can to improve their patient outcomes and satisfaction while enhancing operation efficiencies. To address your concern about an increase in concurrent treatment, there are many modes of therapy that are acceptable within Medicare and Managed Care guidelines. As an innovative provider of rehab services, we want to be certain that our therapy teams consider every possible treatment approach to assist the resident in obtaining the best possible clinical outcome. We will continue to work with this and other facilities, and our staff, to implement solutions that maximize patient outcomes and support business needs. I welcome the opportunity to hear more about your work experience and improvement ideas – please feel free to reach out to me via our company website if you are willing to speak with me directly.
– Brad Miller, VP Operations

work
Respiratory Care Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Lansdale, PAAugust 29, 2018
I am left to work independently , making my own schedule and caseload, working and managing 3 buildings weekly and balancing my schedule as needed per building census and acuity
September 7, 2018

Thank you for making time to share your experience. You are describing the Respiratory Therapist (RT) program accurately. We do aim to have each skilled resident seen five times per week, and set position expectations and processes to ensure that the program continually grows and evolves to meet the needs of the community. Our RT’s are responsible for managing their own caseload and balancing their own schedule. Thank you again for sharing your feedback, please feel free to further discuss your thoughts or suggestions with your manager or directly with me.
– Brad Miller, Vice President, Operations.

good company
COTA F/T (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INAugust 22, 2018
great managers, flexible schedule, offers continue education easy to communicate needs to supervisors, policies clear and apply to everyone, vacation time reasonable
August 27, 2018

Thank you for making the time to share your thoughts on working at Symbria. I’m glad to see you had such a positive experience!
– Deb Bragg, Chief HR Officer

Great Advancement Opportunities
LONG TERM CARE PHARMACY FILL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Woodridge, ILJuly 5, 2018
I was presented with a promotion within the first 2 months of starting at Symbria. This new position gave me the opportunity to apply my professional skills set and promote a new business venture.
July 25, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I’m happy to hear we were able to provide you with a career advancement opportunity while furthering Symbria’s business interests. What a great win/win story – thanks for sharing!
– Jay Mandra, VP Pharmacy

Partners with great companies
Therapy Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHJune 30, 2018
Expected to do the duties of a manager, staffing coordinator, administrative assistant, and rehab tech. Worked an average of 70 hours a week at the facility on the clock as well as working from home in a salaried position. Continuously compared to their other facilities which had 80% less patients. Shared staff with other facilities in the area which was good for staff because they could travel to get 40hrs a week but as a manager of the largest facility with more staff I was expected to rearrange my schedule to accommodate the smaller facilities. The company says providing the better patient care than other competitors in the are is their number one priority however they are concerned with productivity and revenue just as much if not more than other companies.
I was blessed to work with an amazing group of therapists that truly cared for the patients that they worked with. Symbria has contracts at some great facilities.The management team at the facility I worked at was top notch.
Pros
Excellent caring therapy team, Great Facility Management team, Good benefits
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, support decreased as duties increased, low pay
July 25, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We couldn’t agree more with your take on our partners and employees; we are fortunate to have great partners to work with and a team of talented therapists that provide excellent patient care. As a former manager, you were in a challenging role, balancing many responsibilities and details of the position while also ensuring quality patient care and a healthy bottom line. We do our best to support more than 200 program managers with resources, training, and coaching. We are committed to continually improving the work environment, patient care and client service; hearing and responding to concerns and suggestions is an important part of our commitment. If you have suggestions for how we could improve our manager support, I welcome the opportunity to have a discussion. If you do not recall my email address, you may reach out through our company website to request my information so we can connect. – Brad Miller, VP Operations

Unhappy and overworked. 90% Productivity is a joke.
Clinician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 5, 2018
Don't work here. They don't walk the talk. Impossible productivity standard to achieve. So much so that management puts the decision to work for free or break the law by seeing multiple patients concurrently on the employee to achieve the 90% standard. They also make the employee find their own replacement staff if they want to take PTO for vacation. Many, many employees have stories about missing weddings, reunions, important life event occasions because they couldn't find their own replacement for time off they were approved to take. Ridiculous.
July 12, 2018

I am very sorry to see your negative feelings about our company but I want to thank you for being candid. I want to assure you that we have heard your feedback and would like to share information related to the issues being raised again. We have productivity standards that are common in our industry, support our business needs, and are attained by most of our therapists. We encourage our employees to work with their managers if they have concerns or difficulties meeting those standards but working off the clock is NOT an acceptable practice and is addressed in our employee handbook and in management communications. We are passionate about providing our Residents with the greatest opportunity to meet his/her optimal clinical outcome. In an effort to meet the needs of those that we service in the most efficient and effective manner, we continually explore and educate on the use of the modes of treatment available to our Managers and direct care providers. We will never ask staff to do anything outside acceptable guidelines. In fact, we are frequently praised in employee surveys for being a highly ethical company, and Integrity is one of our five core values. Covering for time off requests is always a challenge in a business like ours where we work 365 days/year. We ask our staff to help us find coverage, but the primary responsibility for coverage lies ultimately with the supervisor, and every effort is made to accommodate PTO requests in accordance with our time off policies. Again, thank you for your candor, and former service. – Brad Miller, VP Operations

had nice coworkers to work with,
Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrenville, ILMay 23, 2018
I was the 7th therapist to leave Symbria for other reasons. Difficulty obtaining full 40 hour week and had to use PTO to fill in hours not filled with work assignments
July 12, 2018

Thank you for sharing your input, and for your former contributions as an team member. Because our business is tied to census and caseload, fluctuations in those areas does affect our employee schedules and work hours. When this occurs, we aim to shift our full time employees to other facilities to fill their schedules. When this is not feasible, we do ask employees to use PTO to fill hours to maintain their full-time status. It is not ideal, and it is a problem we have been investigating lately for better alternatives. Thank you again for sharing your observations from when we were on our employee-owner team. -Brad Miller, VP Operations.

Wonderful Company
PROGRAM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Warrenville, ILApril 18, 2018
Corporate office very supportive. Family like atmosphere!! the directors always conducted meetings monthly that kept us in the loop of any changes or new things to come with the company. they provided a lot of training which was great.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Travel
April 30, 2018

Thanks for making time to share your positive experience. We are glad to hear about it, and appreciate you sharing it with others! –Deb Bragg, Chief HR Officer

Treated like a subcontractor
Therapist (Current Employee) –  MissouriJanuary 20, 2018
- productivity is expected to be 90%
- no time off unless you find your own replacement
- management and corporate say that they care about their employees but they do nothing to prove it
- broken equipment is unsafe but it won't be replaced or fixed
- you are not paid for lunch and are expected to work through it. If you want a lunch you have to clock out for a half an hour.
- as a therapist you have many bosses. You have your director you have your manager you have a lead therapist you have the patient you have the patient's family and you have the community staff you're a nobody
- if you make complaints about the community staff that are legitimate the community can request that you leave their facility and you'll either be fired or you're sent to a different facility
- you will not have one facility alone that you work at. You are sent to any facility they wish to send you to. You have no say. If you have dual state license you are expected to work in both States. No pay differential for doing that.
- you are required to work every holiday of the year except for Christmas and Thanksgiving. That's it!
- you are required to work every other weekend. The day off during the week for working on Saturday or Sunday is not your option it is chosen for you.
- no annual raises. Not even cost of living races. I've been there for years zero raise.
- not enough computers for everyone to document on. The software has many many glitches.
Pros
Benefit package is competitive.
Cons
Employees don't matter and are considered replaceable.
March 12, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I want to apologize for the negative experiences you cited, and assure you that you and other employees do matter – we take feedback like this very seriously. After seeing your post, our HR team immediately forwarded it to the regional director for your area and asked her to look into the concerns, especially the broken equipment. I agree that broken equipment can be unsafe and patient safety has been and always will be a top priority for us. We consistently review the state of our equipment and our standing policy is to repair or replace as quickly as possible. The satisfaction of our employees is critical to the success of our company, and while I did not address each of your concerns individually, I encourage you to contact me directly to discuss this further. You can find me in our Symbria employee email directory.
–Brad Miller, VP of Operations

not worth your time
COTA/L (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJanuary 17, 2018
poor management, no communication, you work what they tell you and end up doing your documentation after you clock out to be "productive, run, don't even go for an interview
Pros
pay was fair
Cons
it's all about the money
March 12, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write this response. I sincerely apologize for the negative experience you had. To improve communication, earlier this year we provided Symbria email accounts to all employees so we can better share company information. Please feel free to email our HR team at AskHR@Symbria.com for additional input or communication suggestions. While we certainly strive to maximize productivity, it should never translate into mandating documentation work after clocking out. We will reiterate this policy with all of our program managers to help ensure compliance. We also have begun to deliver leadership development courses to strengthen our manager’s skills and ultimately all employees’ work experiences. Please contact me if you would like to discuss these issues further or provide deeper insights. You can find me in our Symbria employee email directory.
–Deb Bragg, Chief HR Officer

Terrible management. No real support
Rehabilitation Director (Former Employee) –  PADecember 21, 2017
I took a position as a program manager at a facility that Symbria got the Rehab contract for. I was given very little training and I had to beg for that. It was not a nice company to work for- they are ALL about the money. Quality of care and concern for their employees is ALWAYS of less importance than the money. They will not pay you for the full time they hired you for- even travelled to other facilities to try to get my 40 hours- still didn’t happen. Upper management are egomaniacs to say the least. Minimal to non-existent staff training. Absolutely ZERO orientation. But, the money really is their primary focus.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Poor management, poor training, only slightly better than a Cracker Jack organization.
Promises the world but cant deliver
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  PaNovember 30, 2017
I was a manager of a difficult contract for 6 yrs. my regional dir gave me very little support and only contacted me when we were underperforming but never returned emails or calls when i needed support. My RD fired my PT who was very good without a discussion with me and replaced her with a therapist with poor integrity and horrible clinical skills. When it didnt work out it was my problem to deal with alone. HR is clueless although nice. Symbria promised me a non traditional envt that was not productivity based but after 6 mths with the company they attenpted to enforce a high productivity envt. They are low paying and far too much bs to deal with.
Symbria- Not recommended
Employee (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, ILOctober 19, 2017
Business Line leaders stand in the way of growth and innovation with their limited experiences outside of the organization, poor to non-existent processes, arrogance, eat their young ethics and lack of respect from the industry and their own employees.

Customers are promised solutions from leadership team but there is seldom follow through. Business line leaders do not implement new policies and procedures and do not monitor current systems for effectiveness.

CEO supports a culture of gossip, backstabbing and segregation by rewarding those that behave in this manner.
Pros
clinical and customer facing staff are excellent at their jobs
Cons
CEO is flighty, inconsistent, rude and abrassive
High productivity, lots of work off the clock
Therapist (Current Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 17, 2017
Evaluating therapist with high productivity standard, multiple assistants to supervise, little PRN help, a lot of work off the clock to get everything done and not get reprimanded for low productivity. Have to supplement hours with PTO. Full time is 30 hours, but if you take PTO, have to take 40 for a week. Have to work weekends, holidays with no incentive. Pay is low for the area. Regional management never acknowledges emails, successes.....Not sure how long I can stay here.
Pros
Great facility
Cons
Productivity, Pto, work load
No help when needed.
Respiratory Care Practitioner (Former Employee) –  OhioSeptember 7, 2017
I was hired for a new program they was starting at a facility. They told me about how things was done some place else then left me to figure things out for myself. The facility had no idea what they where doing and would not help with anything I needed. Every time I would contact management I didn't get any help. Nothing was ever solved. When I finally had enough and told them I was going to leave the company they never got back to me till after I gave my notice and they didn't understand why I would leave. so be ready to be dropped into a work place and figure everything out on your own.
Cons
no training
Management is clueless
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Greenville, PAJuly 11, 2017
Program managers supervise disciplines who they have no idea what the other's job entails,i.e. Occupational therapist supervising respiratory therapist. Managers offer no constructive criticism and ignore staff. They gathers "incriminating " evidence that surfaces only at the time of your review instead of discussing problems as they arise. Management blatantly lies on yearly evaluations. You are graded on a scale of 1-5. I was told per company policy that no one can score a 3 or above. A 2 is just showing up for work. This employee owned company will spend all its profits on-boarding new employees because they don't pay good employees what they are worth. If you choose to work for this company be sure to keep your resume handy. You'll be looking for a new job in a little over a year.
Pros
Cons
Poor managers.
N/a
Certified Occupational Therapy assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2017
N/A I am not going to say anything good or bad about a company it was not a good fit for myself. pay is good management is well. not sure what else to say