Symetra Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Work hard, play hard
Manager of Information Systems (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAAugust 25, 2018
There is lots of work to be done, but time is also dedicated for fan activities and team building. Technology is the focus for improving their product's satisfaction from customers.
Poor Management Support
Field Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTAugust 21, 2018
Symetra was an organization I envisioned being with until I retired. With a lack of management support and career growth, I opted to find an employer that would help guide me in the next steps of my career. The company fails to recognize internal talent. The organization has so much potential but it can't seem to get out of its own way.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Career Growth, Leadership Support
Great place to grow and gain influence
HR Generalist (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAAugust 20, 2018
Great place to grow and gain influence. It is small enough that each employee can enact change, but large/old enough to be stable. The new CEO is going to take us places and so it is a perfect time to join!
Was a good place to work
New Business Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAAugust 2, 2018
I was a new business coordinator. I processed life applications on the computer. I worked with agents to make sure that the applications they were sending in had all the necessary paper work needed. I also put together and mailed policies.
All companies have their pros and cons.
Life Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJuly 20, 2018
I would have never left had they allowed me to work remote as they let many employees do. Its a good company and the pay was ok. I didnt not feel my accomplishments were recognized - but that had alot to do with a certain VP who is no longer apart of the company.
No room for growth
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Enfield, CTJuly 1, 2018
They always tell you and others that its a great company with amazing stepping stones, yet there is no room for growth. your requests to shadow other departments are ignored. When you apply within to other dept. your managers have to sign off on it.. they don't and there you are waiting for an interview that will never happen. Management does not even know the procedures, they refuse to help when there are escalated issues resulting in clients being upset.

the pay is not worth the work you have to do.
chill envionment
Contract Specialist I, Medical Excess Loss (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJune 21, 2018
Worked as a temp. Enjoyed every minute of it. It really depends on who your manager is. Other co-workers were stressed out because of their managers. It was easy work.
Great support from team members and management
Premium Remittance Specialist - Benefits (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 23, 2018
All levels of management are transparent and take the time to get to know you.
Team members and management take the time to train you and are always available to help.
Great work/life balance.
Good paid time off and 401k match.
Friendly workplace culture.
Pros
Culture, Work/Life balance, Benefits
Cons
Pay isn't very competitive
Geeat work culture
Customer Service Assoc (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 17, 2018
Great people work here and company makes sure you know they appreciate you. Very team orientated and goal orientated ................................
Management & Training Lacking
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 3, 2018
Ineffective management. I had managers who seemed totally unaware of the workflow and volumes in our group and had no interest in making sure it was apportioned fairly.

Training materials are hard to find and frequently unclear.
Behind the Times
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 25, 2018
It just doesn’t seem like Symetra has the fire it needs to be successful. The company is slow moving and behind the times with technology and ways of thinking. Managers often appear to be untrained, unsure of their decisions or just plain don’t care. I hear of many complaints about the way we payout claims and how difficult/slow/confusing the process is but yet nothing ever gets done to fix the problems which is really unfortunate because the one making the claim is usually going through a tough time in their life with us only making it harder.
Probably Better Off Looking Somewhere Else
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 15, 2018
The way this company runs boggles my mind. I've worked in a few different departments for a bunch of different managers at Symetra and rarely has there been process or order. It makes it unbelievably hard to keep work on track.

Some other good and bad:
-As other reviewers have stated, managers here do cater to their favorites. You usually have to be a yes man to get ahead.
-Challenging others seems to be frowned upon and complacency develops as a result.
-There is a lot of gossip that goes around.
-There are some good people here.
-Benefits are decent.
-Close to the bus transfer station.
-A good central Bellevue location.
Easy place to work with a lot of internal room for advancement
Commercial Mortgage Loan Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 15, 2018
People here are generally underpaid to begin with, those who do well tend to start at the bottom and slowly work their way up, which unfortunately results in having some very under-qualified managers.
Pros
Lots of training, good culture
Cons
unrealistic expectations for amount of work compared to compensation
Needs Better Management
Benefits Representative (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTMarch 7, 2018
A lot changed as of 2018 - health benefits got worse (more expensive for the member), they changed the sick day policy, and the delegation of workload completely crumbled. You've got Case Managers working 40 claims, and another Case Manager only working 10 - for example.

They also started letting people who had been with the company for years (some of which never got to move up within the company due to politics) One person was let go after being with the company for 3 years, and the only explanation they gave was "It was due to your productivity." No meetings, no write-ups, no assistance to see where they could make improvements about that person's workload.

There are Case Mangers there who work weekends/work late a night in order to get things done.

The reason? This company cannot balance the amount of work. They need to hire more people and even when they do, those people (often temps) do not stick around.

There's also no advancement within the company. Not unless you're someone's favorite.

The call center, for example, intakes over 400 calls a day and only has a team of about 15 people (give or take, they may have hired more). And then when the service level isn't met, they begin putting the pressure on the agents, requiring OT (which isn't even real OT, since the work week is only 37 hours due to the lunch breaks).

The training is very weak. They don't have a "training system", so the only way for you to learn any of the programs is when you're thrown into it.
Pros
45 minute lunch break
Cons
healthcare, poor delegation of work
Great for Work/Life Balance, Restricted for Career Advancement
Senior IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAFebruary 26, 2018
Great place to work from a cultural and work/life balance perspective. They do like to promote internally where possible however the opportunities in some areas can be somewhat limited due to the small size of the organization and that many people stay in their roles for a long time.
Pros
Great people, collaborative environment
Cons
Salary is not competitive enough for Tech Sector roles
Short Term Disability Case Manager
Bilingual Short Term Disability Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTFebruary 21, 2018
I started working at Symetra with the hopes of being there for years to come and possibly retiring there, but the process of the training and lack of training and what the expectations they required of us employees was sometimes overwhelming. I feel that the any company the most important thing is the best interest of the client and I know that many clients were not very happy.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of Management, lack of support and lack of consistency
Great company
Associate Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAFebruary 19, 2018
Great company, good benefits, great management. It's a fun place to work and I always get good support and feedback from my managers. I have only good things to say about Symetra.
Managers Play Favorites
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAFebruary 15, 2018
My experience at Symetra has not been a good one. I work smart, I work hard and I do what I was hired to do. But there is a large amount of favoritism played by managers. The employees that never question anything and and just go the way of the herd day in and day out are the employees that a lot of managers at Symetra play favorites to. I very much believe that this is a big reason Symetra has a hard time of keeping talented employees and the company has issues keeping up with the competition.
Pros
Benefits are okay
Cons
Inept managers
Constant Change
Sales Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 23, 2018
It is a good company, however during my time there I had 4 managers and it was extremely difficult to ramp up to be proficient for a call center environment.
Pros
pay benefits
Cons
management, constant change for new company
Not that great of a place
Associate Customer Operations Representative (Current Employee) –  WAJanuary 7, 2018
The benefits are nice but training and job advancement is not. Managers tend to micro-manage heavily. It is clear Symetra is expanding but has difficulty planning and structuring operational tasks with that development.