Symons Ambulance

Symons Ambulance Employee Reviews

A great introductory job into EMS. 10 hr and 24 hr shifts
The employees are fantastic, however, low pay, the company cares more about making money for them and not giving back to their EMT's. Minimum wage $12
Pros
Great starting point, fantastic co-workers, flexible scheduling for school and time off.
Cons
if you have 5 hours of down time on a 24 hour shift then you only get paid for 16 hours, Company will not give you a fair raise, i'm talking only a couple of cents/year, Minimum wage, complain of unfair working environments or attempt to address them, to higher authorities will get you fired.
Great place and experience
Awesome time working here. Challenging but great experience more than anything. Whether working ift, events, or 911, it's an overall great time here if you take the initiative and are open to learning .
Decent time here
The overall experience was short for me but was not as great as you would think. I know a lot of ambulance companies have a reputation for bad work environment but this place was pretty bad.
A good way to get your feet wet in EMS
A great way to find out if you like Emergency Medicine or not. Taught you how to use a Toughbook (even if they were on the older side).

The biggest issue I had was there seemed to be a lack of training starting up and the hourly wages. Basically, you're getting paid minimum wage putting yourself in possible compromising situations.

The biggest seller was the experience you could get running Interfacility Transports, Critical Care Transports or Running ALS during scheduled events.

They also were pretty flexible with scheduling so if you're going to Fire Academy or Paramedic Training, etc. its a great gig.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, event experience, opportunity to get overtime hours
Cons
Call offs are frequent, starting is at minimum wage
Sketchy
EMT's are not paid for their entire 24 hour shift unless they run calls 24/7 with zero sleep, dispatch gives medical direction that violates local protocol and law, vehicles are not properly maintained or carry proof of insurance or registration, most ambulances didn't have AC in patient compartment or up front, and the sleep rooms are disgusting and smell in every station. Not a healthy company to work for or safe for patients
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Good stepping stone
Symons was a good stepping stone for people who want to advance in EMS. They focus on IFT, events, and CCT. The people I worked with are like family. It was a good place to start.
Not a place you want to be stuck at
Your best day will be your last day there. Management is all over the place. Dispatch thinks they are people who need to be worshiped and are very petty. The pay is horrible don’t believe what they put as their salary because it’s not true. The things in the contracts are untrue. The nurses there are horrible people. They are shady. Not a place you need to be at.
Pros
Cons
Management, pay, work environment, hours, they don’t approve overtime. Shady.
My time with Symons was educational. I learned a lot from my coworkers and supervisors. It was a long commute to work each time but I learned a lot from them.
As an RN you will have a lot of diversity in patient populations and a flexible schedule, Unfortunately the pay is hard to swallow
As a CCT RN here you will be treated well by both management, dispatch and of course the EMS staff. Its a great job if you currently work in the hospital environment and want to broaden your skills and knowledge.

If you need self-scheduling and want to make money on the side, or gain critical care experience in a diverse environment, then this may be an ideal side job.

Note I say side job. Unfortunately Symon's (pronounced like "Simon" Says) is actively growing and expanding. They are still relatively small and family based and as such, your pay as an RN is noticeably and painfully lower than other companies where your job description is the same.

They also only hire nurses as independent contractors (per-diem/1099) so there are no overtime or benefits associated with your position along with the dismally low pay. This can be frustrating, and If you bring it up to management they cheerfully laugh it off and state that "its not a hospital but an ambulance company". My pay was around 38/hr where AMR, PRN, CARE, PMT and others range from 45-55/hr (and some even offer OT and options for benefits despite the 1099 contractor status). I understand working in pre-hospital and IFT environments will never pay as well as the hospital but a competitive pay structure would be nice.

So why work here rather then those other companies? Well there are some perks. Because it is a smaller company and not a large corporation, you will have a much better and closer working relationship with the CNO, your supervisors and even the owner. You also can relax more and enjoy more autonomy.
 - more...
Pros
Close working relationships with supervisors and CNO, Relaxed Environment, Self-Scheduling, Private CCT Rooms
Cons
No part-time or full-time positions for RN's, Some of the lowest pay in the industry despite only offering per-Diem, Older Equipment
dont waste your time
if you really want a good experience in the medical field this is not the company. Work is easy and fast paced the only stressful thing is working with people who think they're your boss and are very rude. No raise low pay for a very demanding company. If you're applying for a field position prepare yourself for the nasty attitude dispatchers give you very disrespectful.
Pros
nothing
Cons
low pay no raise
no point just be thankful
N/A nothing go or bad to say about this company was a job i was able to get my shifts around my school schedule so works great with my schedule but other than that take it for what it is
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Decent place to work for the younger generation
Symons has wonderful management, however, being an EMT is simply a stepping stone, so the pay was low and we were easily replaced. Working 24-48 hour shifts, there needed to be more time where we could rest, however they kept us out all day mostly sitting in our ambulances with no calls to run unless we were extremely busy. This would often cause us EMTs to become extremely fatigued and the midnight calls would prove difficult while trying to focus on patients and stay awake.
Pros
Great learning company, flexible with shifts and schooling
Cons
pay was low, too much down time spend posting in our ambulances
Great rural EMS experience
I worked at Symons Bishop as an EMT-B for several years and now as a paramedic. While there are many things I would change about my job, in all I have to say it is a pretty good place to work. We have a great crew and good work environment. We run nearly all 911s and only have one SNF in town. We staff one ALS ambulance and one BLS daily and we are the only paid ambulance service for 50 miles. We get a lot of independence, freedom and flexibility and have a great relationship with our one (and only) receiving hospital. My biggest complaint about my job is the fact that we are understaffed, followed second by our pay. Paramedics currently make $418/shift for a 24.
Pros
Good work environment, not too busy, great crew, no FD, flexible schedule
Cons
Understaffed, not competitive pay, no 401K, no paid vacation time
Fun place to work with room to grow
I've worked at Symons for almost three years. I've seen the company grow quickly, which inevitably can lead to growing pains. There have been a lot of changes - policy wise. The company is moving from a small family business to a larger corporation so naturally there will be changes.

My station has both 24 hours and 10 hour shifts. The schedule is released once a quarter where you have the same schedule for three months. I'm in school, so they try to work around my schedule. I try to pick up the events on the weekend when I can. You will only run BLS or CCT calls. There will be ALS event shifts on the weekend, which can be fun.
Pros
Flexibility, not just a number - management knows everyone by name
Cons
No 911 calls - only hospital to hospital transport
Good for Experince
If you are looking for easy hours to get you into paramedic school, then this is the way to go. Besides that, I would not recommend this company for anything else. You don't even get paid all your hours during a 24 hour shift.
Great company to start as an EMT
I've been working for Symons Ambulance for over a year now and I have had a very positive experience. My manager and supervisor at my station have been helpful in guiding me to grow with the company and they are big team players that hop on a rig with us whenever needed. My coworkers have been great too and we've become like family. Also, we get to work fun events every summer.

I highly recommend working here when you're starting out as an EMT!
Pros
Flexible scheduling, involved management, cool events
Cons
We don't always get paid 24 hours if we don't run night calls
Good starting EMT job
The atmosphere of the employees was awesome they were awesome people to work with. Management had a few downfalls that need work for future employees.
Cons
Good employees. Terrible management.
I did enjoy working here. I loved the job I did. The employees were great as well. I just wasn't too fond of the management. Very greedy and stingy. Didn't like to pay employees for their full hours worked. Wasn't very organized either.
We work 24 hour shifts and are run almost the entire shift. The dispatch does not allow times to take even a small rest to get something to eat or drink. All calls are non emergency and we only do IFT service. management is very two faced and will find any little thing wrong with what you do.
People complain too much.
I am fairly new to Symons Ambulance, and I am an events only EMT. First of all, just about everything that everybody is complaining about on here is disclosed before you start working. They are a growing company, and guess what... Nobody is making you come to work for them. If you have good work ethic, and need a good place to begin your EMS career, Symons is a pretty good place.
Pros
Staff keeps things pretty drama free, Managers are clear on what is expected of you as an employee, Hiring process is very welcoming, Plenty of room for growth as this company is expanding.
Cons
Pay starts at minimum wage but that's expected, Have to be on your toes to self schedule hours for events.
It was good for starters
The company was a great place to get experience as beginning EMT. The management was all over the place though and the structure wasn't that great.
The employees though were great and even though it was a little crazy it had its benefits.