Synchrony Financial Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Lack of understanding
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Longwood, FLJuly 12, 2018
The company is unable to understand the balance between work and family. My kids being priority number one, they felt perhaps that I should put my work before my family...not likely...
Overall a Great Place to Work
COMMERCIAL ACCOUNTS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHJuly 11, 2018
There are many benefits to working for Synchrony such as benefits and vacation time. Some departments strive for employee recognition but it is not consistent throughout the business. If employees do not push for development, it is most likely not going to happen. Because of this, it is often difficult to get into the development programs and be promoted after the programs are complete.
Senior Leaders are greedy
SVP, National Sales Leader, TJX Portfolio (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAJuly 10, 2018
Small group of Senior Leaders, ~100, acted very greedily during the IPO and held all founders share grants amongst them. Board approved goals are changed throughout the year for certain teams impacting their ability to earn variable compensation targets. Unqualified employees are promoted often because of who they know not the skills they possess. Certain senior leaders are allowed to hand place people throughout the organization with impunity.
Good / Alright
IT DISASTER RECOVERY SPECIALIST - AVP (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJuly 6, 2018
Good / Alright This is your standard business environment. Politics, Politics , Politics and brown-nosing gets you moved up, while hard work and dependability keeps you right where they want you. It would be a great place to work if those that didn't want to work found better employment. The company does want to make it a great place to work, so you have to give them credit for that.
They pay is good, benefits are great and job stability is a positive so you can't go wrong there. But for those looking to advance, you better be ready to volunteer for every idiotic activity and non-value added initiative. They'll love you for it.
Wonderful company to work for
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kettering, OHJuly 4, 2018
I enjoyed working with this company. They had many employee benefits and incentives. They kept us well informed of expectations and ways we could improve. We had weekly coaching with our direct manager to go over our individual numbers and what we needed to improve to make sure we met the goals to receive our monthly bonus. Paid vacation was available immediately after training and flex time was always available. Overall it was a great company to work for that cared about their employees.
Pros
Flexible, benefits, on site gym, on site cafeteria, weekly employee appreciation
synchrony
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 3, 2018
A typical day is coming into work logging in and start taken call's. I work out to computer had to be able to multi task and engage with customer. Working for synchrony you were required to make sales, up sale, process payments, approve and deny loans also educate customer with any question answered. The culture at Synchrony was good employee's and manager made it enjoyable to be at work on harder days. What I have learned from working there was to be able to multi task on 2 monitors, leadership skill's, modeling loans.
Pros
employee, manager
Cons
pay, hours
Can be Good
Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Merriam, KSJuly 2, 2018
It was ok a lot of micromanagement. I enjoyed my co workers, if you can keep the customers satisfied and calls handled quickly you are in there. I loved my job I did well at it. the life balance was my issue.
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
confidential matters not handled wwell
good place to work
Sykes At Home Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 1, 2018
trainer was very good. Job was a little complex but always someone there to help you when you needed. i would eccommed this job to anyone looking for a good work from home job
Incredible workplace
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 30, 2018
Led by an outstanding CEO, excellent leadership within the organization and good collaborative efforts between all levels. Respect for others and proactive attitudes for all employees. Great work environment, good pay and great benefits included make Synchrony a forever workplace for many. Loved it, miss it, recommend it to anyone for any position.
Pros
leadership
Cons
none experienced
Great place for hard workers
Manager (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTJune 29, 2018
Work is hard and fast paced. Hours can be long. But for those that like an energized environment, Synchrony has a lot to offer. There is a strong diversity program and great benefits.
N/a
Lead Analyst Developer (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 29, 2018
This company is good to work for, culture wise Use to think this is an ideal place for a long time, but when some new managers came, they force out some people they don't like.
Almost a great place to work
Universal Fraud Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 26, 2018
I loved the work I did, just not paid enough and the benefits they had cost to much on the income you make. The atmosphere there is very up beat. You can tell the company care about the employees & there health. They offer quite/nap room, therapy room, exercise room, and give you tokens if you eat a health meal at the on-site cafe. Once you get so many tokens you get a free meal. Management is proactive with there development of there employees. Instead of beating you down when a mistake has occurred they show you a better way of doing the job that help prevent that type of mistake going forward.
Pros
Great atmosphere and the company really dose care about the employees
Cons
low pay
Fantastic benefits
Specialist, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Merriam, KSJune 25, 2018
Again, fantastic benefits. You can't beat their 401k program or their health insurance. It's an extremely relaxed atmosphere, while still productive, of course, and there is a big emphasis on keeping the work environment fun.
Great place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 13, 2018
Great place to work. Fun diverse and room for growth. Family friendly and very flexible great time off benefits and health benefits. Great for a working mother
Pros
Cons
Pay
Productive and very helpful
Service Rep (Current Employee) –  MissouriJune 13, 2018
A typical days work at Synchrony would be solving card holders issues, providing card information, and taking card payments. Learned how to solve different credit card issues.
Very busy call center
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXJune 8, 2018
It started out really great, good work environment though my manager did not treat her team entirely fair. She spoke another language that I did not know and was the only one on her team she did communicate well with. Had to work evenings and one weekend day. The only people that were promoted were the managers favorites. I enjoyed my teammates and occasional free lunches. Call center closed when they moved to Orlando Florida.
Pros
Great benefits, occasional free lunches
Cons
low pay
Good Work Life Balance
VP (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 8, 2018
Most positions offer good work/life balance at Synchrony. The benefit package is comparable to peers. Work enviroment varies by department and manager
Office Politics outweigh job knowledge/ performance
Bill Collector (Current Employee) –  Kettering, OHJune 4, 2018
In my opinion Synchrony does not hire the correct people for the correct position(s)and tend to pick individuals that seem to buddy up most with management instead of meeting the criteria of the position. For example, you don't hire a Fraud Representative to move up and become a Collections portfolio account manager where your teaching and coaching people for a job you never done in your life and expect them to improve when they never even taken a call in my shoes. Also feel the interview process in place at synchrony needs a huge adjustment. To be promoted I feel should be based on your knowledge and criteria for the position being applied for, not how to answer an interview question correctly when it has hardly any correlation to the actual position being offered at hand. They tend to pick who is decent yet liked the most instead of the most qualified candidate for whatever position they have an opening for. in interviews they just want the answers they don't really care if your the best individual for the said position.
Pros
Bonus snacks flexible hours
Cons
Too much Office Politics picking the most liked person among management instead of most qualified
Rigid work conditions
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kettering, OHMay 26, 2018
Shifts were set with no overtime, no paid holidays, no shift swapping. It's an inbound call center whose customers hold credit cards backed by a number of vendors (WalMart, Sam's Club, JC Penny's, etc.). Most of the job includes taking payments, making payment arrangements, requesting deferments, and explaining charges. The majority of customers are upset when they call; I would not recommend this job for someone not experienced in customer service or for someone who might take customers personally. To be fair most customers just want help or an explanation, so long as you can remain calm and helpful it isn't too difficult.
Pros
Non-physical work, talking on the phone with customers.
Cons
A decent amount of upset customers call in - the job requires patience and obectivity.
no comment
Fraud Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 23, 2018
There's a lot of favoritism in the different departments. Not enough opportunities to advance in the company back not a lot for different jobs or positions to choose from.