Synovus Employee Reviews

Corporate culture is dated
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 4, 2019
The company as a whole is a good place to work/work for; however, advancement is very subjective to years of service as opposed to skill set, and a vast majority of management tend to show favoritism. While it’s understood that is usually the case in the banking and financial services industry, the company is not large enough, nor do they provide the resources to learn and advance in order to justify this type of corporate mentality.
Great place to work. Good management
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 20, 2019
Great place to work. Most managers empower and show respect to employees. Thete are too many layoffs only to rehire temporary or part time positions.
Synovous was fast paced but fun
CONSUMER LENDING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 16, 2019
I enjoyed working at Synovous Bank. There was a lot of work but the managers made the work environment fun. There was employee recognition and communication to keep everyone informed.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Lots of overtime
Willing to discuss in person
President & CEO (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 15, 2019
I am willing to discuss in person. I worked for Synovus for over 12 years and received excellent reviews the whole time. I am displaced due to a large merger in Florida.
Trying to make a name for itself, but leaving its employees in the rear view mirror
Senior Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 12, 2019
While Synovus is a good place to work for a solid pay and benefits, there is a lot to be left desired. In the financial industry Synovus is constantly trying to keep up with the larger banks by managing other areas such as facilities upkeep and maintenance, salaries & wages, poor products and services such as its credit card department and business banking, and stretching the personnel so thin that it is difficult for many branches to function. As typical for many banks trying to make a presence in the Florida market, the northern Georgia and Alabama areas closer to the home office receive a lot of quality new branch rebuilds, perks and recognition, such as donations & fundraisers such as Relay for Life, and Habitat for Humanity, and other perks such as University events, Georgia Aquarium just to name a few. Meanwhile in Florida, many branches are staffed with 1 banker or 1 teller, and vacations are often blacked out by the regional manager due to staffing. The management is constantly bombarding you with "I need you to..." "You must..." I expect..." demanding statements to close gaps on sales, staffing, overtime, correcting exceptions, and constant threats of what will happen if you do not meet your sales and referral goals. At the same time, line of business partners have a constant revolving door with attrition (Mortgage, Small Business, Merchant Services, etc.). I once had a customer that applied for a mortgage. I sent a referral to the MO. Three times the customer had his original application lost in the shuffle between three new MOs who replaced the originating MO. In  more... terms of unfair practices with its staffing, wages and salaries, I was hired as an AVP and officer of the company as an assistant branch manager. I carried an AVP title from two previous companies that I work hard to achieve and earn. The bank decided to become more universal with all of its retail branches in the footprint. The ABM position was eliminated company wide. While I did not lose my base salary, I did lose my officer status, bonus week of vacation every year, and was forced to conform to a banker title to be parallel to the same bankers that I hired, coached, and disciplined for many years. My bonus structure was torn away as well, and at first I was told that ABMs would be grandfathered in, not to worry, but to continued to manage the other teammates, only to find out that after missing my "banker" goal after one month I was disciplined. On average I lost about $2000 in bonus every quarter, and reduced to a mere $100 average quarterly bonus. There also is no continuity or consistency from one branch to the next or one area to the next area. One time I set up an event, and invited my area manager and the neighboring area manager to attend. I was told not to do so, because they do not get along ever since Mr. X was promoted, and Mrs. Y was not. There is also not consistent and fair managing practices. I have traveled to cover other branches many times and have observed numerous blatant policy and procedural practices violated, and not to mention unethical sales practices (not to customers, but to within each other at the branch levels). I have seen managers waive large dollar amount late fees and overdraft fees because they hope to reel in the big loan, while other customers who have mishaps of life get "it's policy, we can not issue a refund unless it is a bank error" rhetoric. While I respect the people I work with closely on a daily basis, and I am thankful for the company for my opportunities, I do not trust anyone beyond my immediate teammates at my current location. I do not expect or anticipate any praise or acknowledgements, and I unfortunately work the hardest I can just for myself, because my manager and hierarchy above will not do so.  less
Good Experience
Retail Banking Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 5, 2019
A great internship opportunity to gain experience in a corporate environment. This opportunity also gives a lot of knowledge of the banking industry and various departments.
Pros
Great co-workers and manager
Cons
Slow-paced at times
Productive, sel reliant
Customer Care Specialist, Sr.-Bilingual (Current Employee) –  Athens, GADecember 29, 2018
Never a no call or no show. Reliability, adherence, productive, quality achiever. Complete daily tasks before leaving for the day. Work very well with other. Think outside of the box.
Do your work
Underwriter Small Business Loans (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GADecember 27, 2018
Go in do your job, Interview with5 people. They all asked questions. Not a good interview. People doing interview had no interview experience. Lead person laughed a lot about her questions and didn't know how to interview.
Benefits
Cons
Favorites
Banking Life
Personal Banker- Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Jasper, ALDecember 8, 2018
Working at a bank can somewhat be the same day after day, it does get very boring, some people love it though. The customers are great and enjoyable.
Pros
Customers
Cons
pay
Fair
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Roswell, GANovember 16, 2018
For Contract employees there is limited for information and knowledge due to the company being high security
You really have to stay on your major even about alerting you to office closing and office procedures.
Communication is very minimal
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
not as advertised at all.
SR. Treasury Support Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GANovember 14, 2018
not really a good place to work.. Dealt with favoritism and discrimination while working here. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone. I've worked there for 4 years and have had all kinds of issues.
Good job
Teller (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 12, 2018
Ok pay like the job vacation time some training good to the public not good raise fun please enjoyed the customers fundraiser thought about their customer and employee
Pros
Has events for employees
Cons
No Christmas party or bonus
N/a
Loan Document Review Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GANovember 8, 2018
Not much to tell. Stressful round the year. The Financial institution is not what it was long ago. The industry has change so much since the recession and so have the financial institutions.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
Stress and little training.
Good company, good people, some minor issues
Senior Developer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GANovember 1, 2018
Everything was excellent initially: promotions, salary increased, awesome manager. But everything changes.
PROS:
- good people
- some benefits
- stable, reliable job
- good office

CONS:
- shuffling managers all the time
- working remotely is not an option
- no bonuses
- health insurance for employee only (not for family)
Corporate Office Job
File Transfer Specialist, Sr (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 11, 2018
Each day starts out with checking emails, and getting everything started for the daily tasks. Sometimes there is a brief (5-10 minute) team meeting to discuss developments for the day. Tasks are then completed and once everything is done for the day, whether it is 8 hours or 10 or more, it is time to go home.

I learned many technical aspects of certain software programs and how to troubleshoot issues as they arise.

Direct supervisor management is pretty good - friendly and responsive to the needs of the employees. Upper management seems somewhat less concerned with the well-being of employees.

The culture is inclusive and welcoming of people of all types.

The hardest part of the job I did, which isn't typical or reflective of the company as a whole, is having virtually no consistency and not knowing when I would be done on any given day. It made planning around work rather difficult.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the autonomy and the freedom to work at my own pace without micromanaging.
Good company to work for
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Athens, GAOctober 7, 2018
The co-workers are great to work with, and management has an open door policy. I learned how to effectively work with a diverse skill set. The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexibility of the work schedule.
Pros
family education leave time
Information Technogy
Management (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 18, 2018
The business side of the house is quite competent and reasonable. IT is a mess; senior leadership makes all decisions. Middle managers are held accountable, but now empowered. Senior Management doesn't get along with each other.
Pros
Bright people
Cons
Sour culture
IT Program Manager
Program Manager IT (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 14, 2018
The companies organizational structure is command and control, which leaves the employee wanting for more autonomy, better leadership, and less ambiguity with roles and responsibilities.
Work Life balance is a major focus here
Operations Customer Care Analyst (Current Employee) –  Roswell, GASeptember 13, 2018
Synovus is dedicated to their employees. The company sees that their strength is in their people.The benefits are good. The company believes in developing talent from within.
Awesome
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 5, 2018
I enjoyed working for this company as well. Unfortunately there was not much room for advancement. I had been with the company for 3 plus years and was unable to move up.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Synovus. Our community is ready to answer.