Syracuse Behavioral Healthcare Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Poor managment
Counselor 1 (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 4, 2018
The management became segregated from there workers. No positive reinforcement was given beyond my initial starting week. It became hard to focus on my personal life as much because of the size of the caseloads and was expected for each client. It became a hostile work environment between the clinical team and the director.
Pros
Working with clients who truly need the help
Cons
poor benefits, poor management, poor compensation.
Good part-time job
Counselor Aide (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 10, 2018
Good place to work although its stressful at times. Is good to know you're making a difference and savings life. I just wish there were more opportunities for advancement and more competitive wages and more employee appreciation.
Pros
Giving back to the community by helping people helping fight addiction
Cons
Stressful, not much rewards or appreciation
Case Management (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 7, 2018
Working at Syracuse Behavioral Healthcare Residential services has been a rewarding experience. There is a huge support network between co-workers. Everyone is very professional. It is a joy to work with and learn from such knowledgeable clinicians. Working with an intense, vulnerable population cause cause stress levels to rise, so it is a blessing to have so many individuals to turn to for assistance.
Pros
Incredible workplace
Cons
High intensity profession
Terrible management and awful work culture
Counselor Aide (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYApril 25, 2018
Just don’t work here. Management is very cliquey and half of your coworkers are just as immature. The entire facility is understaffed and overworked creating a dangerous environment for those attempting recovery for substance abuse. Management and HR are completely unresponsive to any questions or concerns unless you are a favorite.
Pros
Cons
Everything!
Be careful with this company
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 11, 2018
Management did not accurately describe position in interview. Was expected to go into dangerous situations where drugs and violence were common place. Culture is competitive, punitive and fear based in some departments.
Benefits
Cons
Danger
intense and gratifying work environment
License Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 14, 2017
As a nurse,I gave medication to clients in need of detoxing from Heroin. Monitoring clients until they are stabilized. It's a 7 to 10 day treatment facility.
Pros
treatment for addiction
Cons
trading drug for drug ie:suboxone for heroin
Excellent place to work
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 4, 2017
Highly recommended place to work! Love it! Fantastic coworkers. Your success is supported. They have the best management ever found. Workplace culture highly responsive to those who work hard and treat patients well. Hardest part of job is not being able to do even more for patients. Most enjoyable: many area- working with patients, education promoted for all, success in patients and staff, and working for movers and shakers.
Pros
too numerous to name
I loved the interaction with patients
INPATIENT BILLING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 8, 2017
I loved the interaction with patients. I was able to do what I loved with a feeling of helping others. Not much room for advancement, but that is semi-typical in this industry.
As much care about employees as for clients
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 1, 2016
Syracuse Behavioral Healthcare is an excellent company to be associated with. These were the most caring and enjoyable people to be working with. They are all very knowledgeable and all strive to do what is best to help clients through their recovery process. Being the Accountant, I was heavily involved in the day-to-day accounts payable and accounts receivable functions as I reviewed the work that my group did prior to it being posted to the accounting system. I reported directly to the CFO & to the Finance Director. My day included the review mentioned above, but also assisting other members of management if they had questions relating to their financial statements, bank reconciliations, general ledger account reconciliations, budgeting, and other various reports and reconciliations. The hardest part of my job was dealing with personnel issues, which then led to staffing issues. One of the best parts of my job was being there daily and knowing that even though my job didn't directly interact or impact the clients, it was necessary. I enjoy learning and growing with a job. This was the first time that I worked for a non-profit company. Becoming familiar with the budget process of this non-profit and the agencies that it is funded by was I learned a lot about the grants and how to vouch and balance the grants at the end of their term. I also enjoyed watching those around me as they were able to grasp onto concepts and improve their own level of knowledge.
Pros
Level of knowledge of others, healthcare benefits
Unstable and unhealthy
Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 26, 2016
Place does not value dedicatedhardworking staff. Understaffed, overloaded counselors with lack of support. Like a people factory - about 'billable hours' not the clients. Administration are all close friends or married to one another which makes it impossible to complain or push for change. Staff working outside their scope of practice with poor treatment outcomes. Overall dysfunctional system
Pros
Co worker support. Trainings for casac credits. Freedom to work independently
Cons
Poor management, unhealthy work environment, large caseloads, large case management responsibilities. No support staff. Unsafe environment. Poor pay
Top notch place to work where counselors are valued.
Mental Health Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 3, 2016
A great place to work where counselors are making a difference in the lives of others.A clean working environment where you are provided with the tools you need to get the job done and are valued for your input. A very positive atmosphere.
Pros
Good benefits, wonderful working conditions. Flexible hours.
Cons
OASAS and OMH documentation and above average stress levels.
Being able to listen to music while you work
Receptionist/Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 15, 2015
Working with people with drug, alcohol and mental health was a little challenging, but to see someone successfully complete the program and go out and get a job, reunite with family members and find suitable house was rewarding. But there were times that you would have someone relapse. It would sometime make you feel like you didn't do your best tor that client but you also had to look at the fact that sometimes they are just not ready.
Pros
Summer time open houses at each facility
Cons
30 min lunch break
Fun. Most of my co workers were great
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 5, 2015
A great place to work overall. My co workers and I got along good but as new people came on board, it seemed like to many people wanted to be the boss.
Pros
Pay and distance from home
Cons
Co workers slacking in their paperwork
Stressful environment with poor communication
Guest Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 9, 2015
I enjoyed working in this field with very interesting patients, however, the building itself was always understaffed and administration did not place any effort to get new hires in quickly to fill the void. Frequently overworked all of its employees, driving a lot of good valuable employees to get burned out quickly and quit. There was constantly poor communication among the employees and administration and a lot of favoritism and inconsistencies being played out that shouldn't have occurred.
I would work there again if given the opportunity
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 6, 2015
fast paste and on going. I learned how to do intakes over the phone. the management was very friendly. so were helpful and willing to teach others were just there for the check. I did not find any part of the job the be hard. The part I enjoyed most was the clients.
Overworked and underpaid.
Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 21, 2014
Management is poor, there is no professionalism and you do not feel valued as an employee.
SA Counselor
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 9, 2014
Managed a caseload of 6 out of 12 residents in a women’s halfway house. Assessed & screened individuals, completed treatment plans & progress reports, counseled, administered medications, completed documentation and maintained a continuity of services with family members, community supports & providers.
Fun place to work
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 2, 2014
Fun place to work. Co-worker got along. Supervisor was easy to talk to. Most enjoyable time at the job was seeing a client who struggled coming in to the house come back and tell his success story. Hardest part was seeing someone who you thought was gonna be successful and they relapsed. I learned alot about substance abuse that I never knew.
Loved my job...didn't love the management of it.
Bilingual Inpatient Counselor (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 3, 2014
Being an inpatient substance abuse counselor does not come without its fair share of stress and anxiety on a regular basis. I will say that the staff makes the services, and not the other way around. People really cared for the clients that they worked with, and would totally meet them 1/2 way. A lot of "work" gets started in an inpatient program, if you are willing to do the work and you really want to be there. I learned not to mix work business with personal business; that's where problems can arise. The hardest part about working there was the lack of communication with management and the fact that there was never money in the budget to hire more staff to help out. That puts a lot of burden on the individual and on the counseling team. Also, paperwork and deadlines were a killer! The most enjoyable part? Seeing the potential in each client and watching them make the next best decision. That was the most amazing - getting to know people on a very personal level and seeing the start of change occurring.
Pros
Great people, a lot of freedom to work with an individual, learning experiences.
Cons
Paperwork, attitudes, lack of needed staffing, deadlines.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Syracuse Behavioral Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

Syracuse Behavioral Healthcare Reviews by Location