Syracuse University Employee Reviews

Syracuse Univeristy
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 26, 2018
My day is really varied as it depends on the time of year. For the most part I assist my students every day in a variety of ways. My boss is very encouraging and allows me to work with autonomy but is also always available if I need her. The hardest part of the job is currently all the changes being implemented on a larger level. While some changes is welcomed, we are currently experiencing several at once so it can present some challenges.
I really enjoy working with my students. They are highly motivated and always looking to help improve our program because they enjoyed it so much.
Good job
Storeroom Attendant (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 26, 2018
Great job good environment great benefits.paid vacation sick days personal time. Love my job would never leave it!! Great coworkers and awesome supervisors.
enjoyed the job
acct clerk (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 23, 2018
enjoyed the job; faculty and students
work is overloaded due to short staffing
poor communication
review process should be 360 degree; not one on one when you deal with 20+ people a day
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
review process
Love the Atmosphere
Physics Coach (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 21, 2018
The people around are nice, filled with love. Peaceful town, just bad weather. Worked as a Physics Coach (something position like a TA). Kinda struggling in the winter morning. Pay was ok for a student position.
very low moral with employees
Window and exterior building maintenace (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 13, 2018
good place to work if have the right job
SU is cutting back on jobs and becoming more corporate than family oriented in the past.
SU should hire more on experienced people not how long the person has worked there.(union)
When starting there It was a excellent place to work!
very micro managed now!
Very good benefits
Community Services Officer (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 12, 2018
If you need benefits, it is a great place to work. Depending on the department, there are opportunities for overtime/extra money.

Also, it there are discounts and access to many events, if so desired.
Syracuse University as an organization
Academic Consultant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 5, 2018
The culture of Syracuse University is slowly changing to be more inclusive of different people and their culture. Overall, this is a great organization to work for to establish what it means to work in a professional workplace.
Pros
Free food at events
Cons
so many events to attend that are mandatory.
Productive, forward-thinking workplace with offering a variety of careers in higher education
Library Facility Warehouse Technician (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 10, 2018
My time working in the Syracuse University Libraries has been overwhelmingly positive, as has been my interactions with those working in other parts of the University structure be they faculty or hourly staff.
Combine faculty, staff, graduate student lunch room with threadmill
Administrative Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 28, 2018
Enjoyed meeting new students during orientation and how excited they are to start there studies. The workplace culture in my Department is more work driven for staff from administration. Staff was left overworked when the volunteer layoff was given a few years back which resulted in hiring freeze.
Pros
Annual Christmas parties
Cons
Health care, retirement plan, dental
Good place to study
Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 26, 2018
Syracuse University is a good place to study.

Good course to offer to new students in a different level of study. Ph.D., Master and undergraduate study is offered in this University.
Syracuse University great place to work
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 24, 2018
I work at Syracuse University it's a great place to work the work culture is sometimes a little stressful but that's with any job anywhere the management is okay they work with you and you do have the opportunity to go to school so that I can become an alumni which is what I'm working too hard to be more valuable to the university than just a food service worker and it's even the better place in Orange Nation to go to work and see an NCAA football game yeah man!!!! I would recommend Syracuse University is a great place to work in Upstate New York.
Pros
Being able to go to school and become something better than what you are and going to see football
Cons
Sometimes you have to work the weekends which is a real bummer but you got to do what you got to do
Working with International Student
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 20, 2018
Enjoy working with Domestic/International population due to previous experience, Enjoy learning about different culture and how the international population enjoy our culture.
Cons
Education
They are aware of their shortcomings
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 19, 2018
This university is doing their best to accommodate the needs of students with disabilities. However, there are still more to improve disability service within the campus.
university life
Manager of IT Client Services and Support (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 16, 2018
Working in academia is different than in the corporate world.

The hustle in corporate America in not as evident in the university setting, however having worked many years on the corporate front, I felt more comfortable establishing those protocols in my job, for those on my team, and with my subordinates.

This made for a very productive, fast pace environment, where target dates and production line precision made my workplace exciting and productive.

I had implemented a production line for system builds and refurbishment which refined the time it takes to complete a specific project and enhanced cost savings with reusing computers that had issues. Communication is critical in all situations and there was a was strong emphasis on diversity.
Good internship with lots of learning
Summer Internship (Former Employee) –  Onondaga County, NYAugust 9, 2018
A good internship program with intense training on MS Project and Leadership. But most important. Had the opportunity to lead a feasibility study with a local Company in partnership with the University.
I worked in the Carrier Dome
Vending Cashier (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 31, 2018
I worked at the games as a vending cashier. I loved it, I could get some reading done, and when it was time to work, it was fast paced. The vendors that bought beer and soda from the dome to sell to the fans are all characters, I still keep in touch with a few of them. It was a good job to have while I was in school.
Great faculty and staff. A great institution.
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 28, 2018
Great faculty and staff. A great institution. A great place to work and build your experience. Lots of room for growth and opportunity. Great curriculum and diversity of faculty.
Enjoy the students and coworkers
Janitor and Cleaner casher food service (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 24, 2018
I have enjoyed 27 years working for the university. I have worked in various areas . And my skill levels have maxed out what the university can offer. Looking to change and set my life for the new endever.
Solid place to work, great support staff.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 20, 2018
Working as a Research Assistant at Syracuse was a good way to develop my skills, and allowed me the flexibility to accomplish tasks in the way in which I saw fit.

Support staff is super helpful and make things that would be painful at other institutions effortless.
Great place to work when business is up
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 19, 2018
I worked in the bookstore. It was a wonderful place to work. However the bookstore is unfortunately dying in sales and customer traffic. He store is dying. And positions are not being replaced. But it is a wonderful place once you get your foot in the door. I highly recommend this job.
Pros
Discounts. Location. Environment
Cons
Dying place. Few advancement. Closed positions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Syracuse University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight