Sysco Employee Reviews

Routing is trash. Management always calling and complaining
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXApril 21, 2018
Where do I start. Start time for driver shift was at 4am. So, you’re up at 3:30am. Shuttle driver brings your trailer and better pray your pallets aren’t flipped over or your TK is working. Or you’ll have food getting spoiled and smelling all day. My first 4 stops were always stop that didn’t open until 10 am. Must I remind you we start at 4am. Your supervisor response for that will be, “just move the those stops to the side and write down how you want your route.” Which I complained numerous times to main office and to supervisor. They tell you they will check into it, then when you bring it back up they will tell you it’s not up to them. It’s up to sales rep to set your times. Your routing just sucks. You’ll have a stop on one block then make you go to next stop across town then make you go back to a block you were just on to deliver another stop. Had supervisor and sales rep call me nonstop asking where I was and I’m not allowed to skip stops. Then call next week and say I need you to skip stops. Oh, and this always happens. Say they want it all then you take in all products and when finished they’ll say, “we don’t want half of it. Whoever placed ordered messed it up.” Then will have that stop again tomorrow. They want a 95% scan rate when labels aren’t on boxes or ripped and will call you to see why your scan rate is low. Then ask to take pictures of ALL damaged scan labels and send them to supervisor. Make you drive to a stop four times a week and it’ll be for 5 items. Sometimes the stop will be 45 minutes away too. I won't get off till 7pm when I’ve been working since  more... 4am. Had weekends off but always had to work Saturday. You finish early and they’ll add more stops to your week. A lot of times you’ll have one stop on a front pallet with the other half, two pallets behind it so you will have to break down all of those pallets. Pay was only 1600 BIWEEKLY. At the end of the day you have to put your empty pallets into the first returned trailer at the yard. And put all returned products in that trailer as well. When I quit their response was, “ you’re not going to find another job with weekends off.” Drug test is urine for those who want to know. And oh yea, a lot of trailers are the ‘28, ‘36. So, a lot of times you’re won’t have room to put your dolly,stairs, and curb ramp in trailer. It will be in your passenger seat. All freezer items are out of a side door so you will be throwing a lot on the floor but can’t let customers see you do that or they will not want it and call to complain what they saw you do. ELog always shutting off so be prepared for those constant phone calls to reset your tablet while you’re too busy working.  less
Pros
Home at nights
Cons
Not enough money to deal with it
Good Place to work
Category Planner II (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXApril 20, 2018
I enjoyed my job here, but the management was not great. Also, it is a big company which can make you feel like a number at times. A lot has changed since I left, but I can't complain about the time I worked there.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Poor management
Sysco Foods
Insight Global Consultant (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOApril 19, 2018
Good company to work for. Excellent opportunity. The people are knowledgeable and friendly. Everyone works a team to get the job accomplished. Terrific place to work.
Pros
Free beverages
Cons
distance
Very good place to work, and will work around you.
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Pocomoke City, MDApril 19, 2018
Never had a problem working there, always made sure you had what you needed, and was never afraid to ask if everything was okay, and always gave you bonuses for tools, boots, and ETC.
n/a
Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Concord, NCApril 19, 2018
Sysco Corporation is an American multinational corporation involved in marketing and distributing food products to restaurants, healthcare and educational facilities, hotels and inns, and other foodservice and hospitality businesses. The company is headquartered in the Energy Corridor district of Houston, Texas.
good place to work
Data Master Specialist (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXApril 19, 2018
Sysco is a good place to work. Management will train you very well regarding your job duties and you can expect career advancement if you perform well.
Work hard, Play hard
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Canton, MIApril 15, 2018
The hardest part of the job is cold calling. It is very difficult to open new customers due to Sysco's higher prices and stricter rules, compared to other food service companies. If you are able to succeed, you are well compensated for it.
Pros
Awards, bonuses, networking
Cons
Lots of driving, traffic, stressful
worst
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILApril 15, 2018
I would not recommend this job for anyone. Terrible work life balance. No room for advancement. Negative culture. Favoritism and Nepotism rampant. Compensation is a joke.
fantastic experience overall with District Team
Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXApril 14, 2018
Gained experience in cold call sales for new and potential customers, with a focus on maintaining relationships and sales growth with existing business. Daily problem solved keeping my customers vested interest and meeting the needs of their individual business dynamics. Gained favor in a competitive market by exceeding expectations of chef's and owners. Typical day was 10-12 hours with some time off Saturdays afternoons to Sunday early morning. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with a great Team as well as dynamic/individual customers even those who were the most challenging.
Pros
Really enjoyed the daily challenges of problem solving and "making it right" when needed
Cons
logistics impacting my customers I had no control over, work/life balance
great job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Baraboo, WIApril 13, 2018
i have no problems with sysco. it was a great job. heavy on computer work after a 9 hour day. only one full day off. able to handle customers on our terms.
Pros
great job
Cons
not enough work life balance
Great
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 11, 2018
An amazing and high paying job based on how good you work. Pulling batches at a fast pace in order to get and keep a high percentage is the key to getting money.
stressful and alot of travell
Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTApril 10, 2018
If upper management is displeased with you - look out. Took the new VP of sales 5 years but he finally culled me. Horrible direct manager last 5 years
Fat lazy warehouse manager, who is incompetent and doesn’t know how to run his warehouse.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 10, 2018
Sysco ifg in jax is THE WORST place in Jacksonville to work. No one has any clue what they are doing, employees are forced to work 16+ hours a day while only taking breaks required for an 8 hour shift. They constantly receive and keep product that is out of temp or expired. They keep cold and frozen product on the dock longer than four hours.
Pros
Cons
You will want to kill yourself or your wife will leave you.
Not for everyone...
Outbound Selector (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAApril 10, 2018
They tell you when you walk in the door that the job is not for everyone. It was frustrating to be working hard and not making my quota. Then I'm easily working 10hr days, 6 days/wk. It was like swimming upstream. For a younger guy driven to make it his career, go for it. I'm not interested in stressing over hitting my numbers and skipping my first break trying to do it. They sell you a line because honestly they're desperate for people, so of course they sweeten the pot, but it's a whole lot of disillusion that occurs for some a few months in.
Pros
Great pay/benefits
Cons
The work is not for everyone
They believe in promoting within and they believe in a healthy balance of work and personal life.
Vice President / Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Riviera Beach, FLApril 9, 2018
Sysco is a company that believes in building a relationship with their customers in order to gain growth. They believe in service that will allow their customers to grow in their perspective market. They believe in advance technology to gain the upper hand in order to be more efficient which allows their employees work in a less stressed environment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Underpaid in the market
Challenging enviroment but leadership is disengaged.
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Sysco Gulf CoastApril 8, 2018
Mgmt is highly skilled in giving a corporate amswer to your problems and concearns. Required to constantly charge more than customer menu can justify and push products on customers that dont fit thier concept. As a whole syaco has advantages , they have every item an account could need. Spend at least a full day per week on salesforce admin tasks that do not equal money for time spent doing them. If you grow an account into a very profitable customer it will br taken or yiu eill loose half of your customer base so that they dont pay you full commissions.
Pros
Freedom of schedule
Cons
Poor mgmt, accounts taken away, too much admin tasks
Summary
Talent Acquisition Lead (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 7, 2018
Great global company to work at! Good place to work. Limited career advancement. Low pay for responsibilities. Good management. Good stock to purchase.
All in all a great place to work
Sr.Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  Medley, FLApril 7, 2018
Sales position is a fast paced job. You are your own boss of your customers and yet have a complete support staff that gets the items delivered to the customer on time. Availability to have customers order on line as well as payment on line. Up to date with the latest technology to get the product to the customer on time.
Pros
Benefits/technology /support staff
Cons
Work every day.
Dont just walk away, RUN AWAY!
Sales (Current Employee) –  WisconsinApril 5, 2018
One of the worst companies I`ve seen, company constantly running out of items, a lot of punishments, ignore employees` requirements. merchandisers basically hold control of the company, they can decide which items you need to sell and which you can not sell. you basically driving all the time and company doesn`t pay for your gas, most of all, company doesnt support you at all. Sysco doesnt really care about your sales anymore, they only concern about the on line order on board rate and their own brand now. If you are doing well at selling but non of your customer is using on line order, you will be punished, if you sell really well but non of them is Sysco branded, you will be punished, if you don`t manage your online order pricing, you will be punished. If you are not doing the things Sysco ask you to, they will always find a way to make your life miserable.
Pros
Stock options, 401K
Cons
Except stock options and 401K, everything is bad
Productive and team work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jessup, MDApril 4, 2018
A typical day at work was busy at time with the sale person which I didn't mind due to I like working at a fast pace job. The hardest part was going in the freezer sometime to check orders
Pros
long break
Cons
sometime work in the cold

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sysco. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.4Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight