T.J. Maxx Employee Reviews

Found 5,494 reviews matching the search See all 5,508 reviews
Amazing first job and a good way to learn many soft skills on the job
Customer Experience Coordinator (Former Employee) –  League City, TXSeptember 6, 2018
I loved my time working for this company at this location. Training is thorough and helpful. Management is always there to help and provide support to associates. I got along with most colleagues, and felt it was true teamwork that made the job easier and efficient. It was my first job and even now after I have moved to attend college, I was eager to transfer to a different location in hopes of having a similar experience. Unfortunately the new store is not near the same. However, I still want to come back to League City to work for their store in the holidays.
Pros
discounts, company rewards program incentives, open conversations with management, room for growth, associate development, will give as many hours as you want if you work hard, yearly pay raises
Cons
occasional difficult customers, standing/walking all day
If you love customer service you should love this job.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMOctober 2, 2018
I enjoy working at TJ Maxx but then I enjoy working with people. If you do not enjoy working with people please do not apply. I enjoy most of the people I work with, some are grumpy and should not be in customer service. The management is great. The culture of corporate does seem to be keep peoples hours just below the requirement to provide PTO so no benefits unless you are a coordinator. It's minimum wage but you do get employee discounts.

The one major downside is how hard they come down on employees to get cashiers to sell customers on their credit card. At least as a used car salesman you would get a commission but here, no.

Overall, it is a great part time job to get a little bit of extra money to go shopping with!
Pros
employee discount and shopping
Cons
not a living wage
Productive at times, a chaotic mess behind the scenes
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Temple City, CAOctober 18, 2018
Senior staff coordinators rely on long term employees to train new hires, who after a brief period of undergoing said training, are then promoted to supervisory positions, with little to no clue as to handle procedures with most customer interactions or employee break schedules, etc. Within a span of 2 months, this location went from #1 in the district for performance excellence, to 3rd from the bottom. Several team members have left in a short period of time after being fed up with the inadequacies of management being brought down upon them.
Pros
10% discount on all merchandise
Cons
Hours held back just shy of qualifying for benefits, save for management
Don't work here!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 5, 2018
I don't even know where to start! I worked for the TJX Company for over 10 years and the culture was great at first but not now. Managers are worked to the bone, expectations are so high you can never reach them. Most days I worked 12 hour days because you were not allowed to do any projects while you were the Manager on Duty. So that meant you had to stay late, come in early or work thru your lunch breaks just to get office work/salesfloor work done.Never a thank you to the Management teams but we have to bend over backward for part time Associates.
Pros
Benefits were good
Cons
Not appreciated
They became my new family
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NESeptember 6, 2018
While working at T.J. Maxx I was also managing a second job, and taking care of my two siblings and some of my managers were amazing and acted in place as a mom as well. They gave me a schedule where I could work and study. Although they offer few hours, the memories you make with the team are amazing. The company works in fundraisers and tries to make ties with the community. They provide great sales and you get a discount on top of it. I loved working there, but the pay was too little and I needed more hours which they couldn't provide.
Pros
Meet new people all the time, call dibs on clothes, discounts, great team
Cons
If you're a student: little hours, not that great pay
Flexible Hours For Any Schedule
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXOctober 12, 2018
TJMaxx is a fast-paced organization that will enable anyone to gain interpersonal and professional skills for. I learned how to become great in customer service while working here. Management is hands-on and assistive of customers and employees. There is great cultural diversity within the organization. The hardest part of the job is dealing with dusgruntled customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to exercise and expand on professional skills.
Pros
Promotion Benefits
Cons
Short Breaks
Working for tj maxx for 5 years has been a good experience
Store Associate 0ctober (Current Employee) –  Culpeper, VA 22701August 5, 2018
Tj maxx is a company that provides full-time hours to associate who are willing to work any time of the week. Promotion is gained if you are with them for several years, because you have the experience of how the store works. They have annual salary raise, and reviews about your performance as a worker, mostly good because i was always at my best. Some good things about them is even if you resigned and decided to back to them, they would rehire you, because for them you are are always part of the team.
Pros
full-time workers have benefits
Cons
they do not put enough people on weekends where the store is usually busy, that is why evening crew are always exhausted to put the store together
Fun place to work assisting customers.
Markdown Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 6, 2018
The overall day at TJ Maxx was fun and exciting, because I learned something new practically on a daily basis. Management kept us abreast with new merchandise and arrangements of garments.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing customers smile and able to purchase merchandise they come in the store to get. The Culture was diverse. It was good knowing that people could get along well while in the same environment. TJ Maxx taught me how to be more personable with customers and people in general.
Pros
The company always had food in break room at least once a week for employees
Cons
No benefits.
friendly environment and good management
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CANovember 8, 2018
I learned a lot as I started my job .i learned that customer service is the most important thing in any place. management is perfect, and my workplace is very peaceful and friendly.i can't say any hard part because every job has its hard part the important thing is that everyone has to like her job and enjoy it. The most enjoyable part for me is when I can do something to help the store to be more successful.
Pros
some free lunch for holidays
Cons
part time workers does not have healtcare benefits
If you can play the game you can do well
Internal Investigator (Current Employee) –  Greater NY areaOctober 15, 2018
This company is not about what you know or how effective you are at your core job responsibilities. If the right person likes you and you have the right supervisor you can go somewhere but no matter how good you are at your job if you do not have the right supervisor or the wrong person dislikes you no matter how well you do or who advocates for you your future is lost.
Pros
Great training, make your own schedule
Cons
Lack of advancement, increased work load without compensation
Great place for a first time employee.
Sales Associate and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILNovember 5, 2018
I started working there when I was in high school. I went on to college and they remained flexible to work around my school hours. The pay in higher than minimum wage and there is an annual raise dependent on your review. Team work is necessary and they implemented an open door policy, making it easy to talk with management.
Pros
Associate motivation, flexible hours to work
Cons
Not getting enough hours.
One of my favorite jobs.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHSeptember 29, 2018
The culture is incredible, the customer base at my location was lovely, and the typical workday was enjoyable. As a full time employee the benefits are great, but the pay is not. You'll start out just over minimum wage and only receive a raise once a year (unless you're promoted). They're not as competitive, pay wise, as other retail companies, which is the only reason I left the company. I always recommend TJ Maxx to younger folks or people who don't have to support a family.
Productive and great jobwork/ life balance
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 9, 2018
Does not provide any kind of benefits to part- time employees, even after having a long term relationship with the company. Throughout my nine years of employment with TJMaxx, the company could not keep a consistency of management team members, and is still struggling to keep management aboard. However, TJMaxx is a very supportive company to work for, when it comes to being a student and working towards your career path. I would highly recommend this company to anyone who is seeking part- time work while working towards a college degree.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No benefits
Loved my job at Tjmaxx till they moved me without notice and asked for a transfer which they would never do
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Rome, GANovember 25, 2018
The management was bad at the store never took up for her employees just threw them under the bus. The training was non existent you had to learn on your own. Time limits were impossible to make and there was never enough help to make things happen. If you were salary they would work you till you were not able to go didn’t matter how many hours you had to work during the week.
Great workplacr
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Cullman, ALSeptember 5, 2018
Working at TJ Maxx was so fun. It was very fast paced and there was always something to do. I thoroughly enjoyed working there. My bosses were great and my coworkers were great too. Everyone is so nice. It's like a big family. You start at $9/hr which was a nice surprise to me. After a year (I could be wrong) you can start receiving benefits like insurance, dental, etc. They don't make taking off work a pain. They understand employees are human and things happen. I went to college during my time at TJ Maxx and my managers bent over backwards to accommodate my school schedule. Amazing company to work for.
Pros
Flexibility, promoting within, great coworkers, good pay
Productive fun loving environment to work in
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SC 29118July 5, 2018
Being employed at TJ Maxx has given me the experience to create bonds with each customer that comes into our store. Our customers frequent T] Maxx daily so we become familiar with what they are looking for, so we know what to offer them upon arrival. I've gained knowledge in areas that I wasn't experienced in so this company gave me a lot of growth opportunity. My co-workers became more like family and we helped each other whenever needed. The hardest part of the job I would have to say is when we loose good employees because of career enhancements, it brings about sadness but at the same time we are happy for them.
Pros
Great Learning Opportunity
Cons
part-time employees don't get benefits
Could do better by their long term associates
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Madison, TNSeptember 23, 2018
I felt like they really didn’t care about me I had to cut my hours last year because my dad had gotten sick which he ended up passing away. So I had to adjust my schedule til where I had to take my daughter and pick her up from school something me father use to do well in doing that I loss my vacation time and sickntime after 22 years in the company I sent cooperate an email addressing my concerns but I never heard a single thing from them.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of concern about associate personal cares
Fun work place and everyone is always so nice and easy to get along with.
Retail Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Waterville, MENovember 1, 2018
Everyone is like family. Very easy to work with and get along with. Fun place to work. Managers are great and customers are very nice too. Everyone works together with helping one another. Holidays are always fun, parties and secret Santa/Yankee swap. The managers are always helpful with anything that comes up in life as far as fixing your schedule.
Pros
Get to have free food sometimes.
Cons
Don’t get benefits part time and not many hours.
Learning Experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago ILOctober 23, 2018
The saying is true retail is not for everyone. This is as my first ever job and I didn’t like it all that much. The company in itself was great not really that many benefits. However the management at the particular store I worked was horrible. They gave me less hours and less pay. Also the managers were a bit bias. Wouldn’t do retail again. TJ Maxx however does have some nice items which is great.
Easy job, decent pay, and a lot of benefits.
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INSeptember 22, 2018
I was hired on the spot and was able to start working within a week. I was put in AR/SR, which consisted of ticketing items, labeling boxes, and throwing them on the conveyor belt to get shipped off to TJ Maxx stores around the country. There's 3 different shifts you can choose from: A, B, and C. B Shift, which was the one I chose, consists of working Friday through Sunday from 5:00 AM to 5:30 PM. B shift. You can make from up to $14.45 depending on which department you work in. After your 30 days of training, you can get into the union, you get $0.25 added to your base pay, sick days off, paid time off, insurance, and many more benefits. You also get two discount cards (one for you and one for a friend or relative) for 10% off at any TJ Maxx store including the relative stores like Marshalls, Home Goods, and Sierra Trading Post. They have a cafeteria where you can purchase mediocre food and snacks (and it was kinda pricey.) Overall, working at TJ Maxx Distribution Center was really nice.
Pros
insurance, paid time off, sick days, discount card, paid weekly
Cons
on your feet all day, 30 minute lunch break, waking up super early (or staying super late)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at T.J. Maxx. Our community is ready to answer.

51.8K
41.7K
31.3K

Women's ratings

2.8Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss