Tableau Employee Reviews

Amazing People, Lousy Pay
Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  USAMarch 1, 2018
I get excited about going to work every day because I get to spend the day with the smartest most fun people I know, in a professional environment designed to help us all get even smarter while having fun.

Except every two weeks, my paycheck comes in and I get sad.

Anyone else doing the work we do with the broad domain knowledge, at the pace we do it, would be making at least 30% more.

We have titles with the word Engineer, and huge amounts of cash and time are spent to make sure we get training on even more domain and product specific knowledge than we have to come in with just to get hired at all.

Pay us what we’re worth and watch how much better our work will get when we don’t rely on the free food in every kitchen because we can’t afford groceries. Watch how low the turnover gets and how easy it becomes to fill new positions or backfill when people are promoted. Or don’t, and watch as all the talented people you’ve invested so much time and assets into leave for positions at other companies that pay more for our skills.

“We want people who want to work here” is not the answer. We DO want to work here. We just would like to be able to work here and also afford to live our lives.
Pros
exponential skill growth, great people, great direct and skip-level management, good benefits, free food
Cons
pay is well below market rate for skills and title
Tableau is evolving
Senior Solution Architect (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 28, 2018
The hiring process for me was very long. The sales focus of the company for me was a challenge. I am a technical person. Professional services with Tableau is difficult when you have a family. The culture is great and the company is fun.
Pros
culture
Cons
travel
Good company to work for
Enterprise Applications Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 20, 2018
They have plenty of snacks and drinks. Coworkers are very nice. Managers are patient and helpful.
Good work-life balance. Feel like a big family. Good.
Amazing company to work for.
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 27, 2017
I love working for Tableau. Fun yet challenging work. Great management and coworkers. The management really cares about their employees. We are not just a number to them.
A Company in Transition
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  WestNovember 28, 2017
Tableau is a company in transition. The character and culture that got them to this point of success is rapidly changing. It's just not the same place. Great product and focus on customers. Immature management.
Pros
Great product and customer focus
Cons
Immature management
Tableau
Senior Named Account Manager (PNW) (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 19, 2017
Tableau is a good company and provides numerous resources to sales reps to help deliver a meaningful value proposition to their customers and connect them with others who are successful with the solution.
Fun times, not enough pay
Sales Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 7, 2017
Really enjoyed the day to day, it's a standard inside/outside sales job but ultimately in the two years i was there only 3 people were promoted out of 100 sales reps.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
not enough room for advancement
Good people and product, but not much else.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 5, 2017
All I can say it is a tech company with so much potential but not taking advantage of it. Good place to introduce yourself to the tech world. Free food is a perk.
Productive and great place for work
Customer Service Triage Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 26, 2017
Great place and great people for work.Very responsive management stuff and availability to combine life and work. I would recommend this place for my friends.
Not a great place to work. Favoritism and lack of great management exceeds.
Waiter/Server (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 14, 2017
Worst place to work. Poor management, too much favoritism and not fair with their employees. You are just a number at Tableau. If I had to recommend this place to anyone, I wouldn't.
Pros
Cons
Poor management

Want to know more about Tableau?

Ask a question
Tableau Developer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 14, 2017
Fun place to work with lots of great benefits - almost 4 weeks vacation, lots of paid holidays, fun vendor events, perks and friday fun events.

Not a great place for IT career.
great people
Enterprise Sales Area Manager - Strategic (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 14, 2017
Tableau has an awesome ability to attract unbelievable talent with extremely fun personalities. This team is one that i would easily love to work with again.
Depends on the role
Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 12, 2017
Tableau has the best culture and community of any software vendor in the market. The expectation is you still work like Tableau is a start up and success is dependent on your territory or specific role.
Technical Support Is Not a Career Option Here
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 5, 2017
If you are a dev, or in operations(namely IT desktop support), then this is a great place to work with good compensation. Most everywhere else is significantly under-compensated.

Pretty much everything else about the company is outstanding.
Pros
Fully stocked kitchen, bendable hours, great medical/dental/vision, great investment and retirement options, great management
Cons
Pay is trash
Core values rarely upheld by leadership
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 3, 2017
The core values of Tableau were part of what drew me to this company. They seemed genuine and willing to put the time into cultivating great employees. Soon however it was very clear that these were just words on paper to many people in leadership roles. You were clocked and treated as hourly employees even if you were of a salary position. Never in my years at any other company was I treated as if I were not an adult that could manage my time and workload accordingly. Many times I was told by leadership that my opinion did not matter because I was not a manager, which was clearly indicated at review time when there were no peer reviews done or manager feedback (these were both leadership discretionary calls how convenient.). I truly cared about my team and the people I worked with but leadership (of atleast my org) had no business having direct reports and no amount of free food can change that.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
core values not upheld, work home life balance poor, pay poor, "we've always done it this way mentality", no career development just to name a few
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 26, 2017
Tableau was a great place to work! I enjoyed every minute learning new skills and about my colleagues. The work could be intense but we had sales goals to energize us. Management was very supportive and was always around to help.
Pros
Stocked kitchen and catered lunches.
Cons
EOQ or End of Quarter could be a stressful time.
Great culture but lacks proper technical training
Partner (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 13, 2017
Great people, great product, snacks, drinks usually available. I have really enjoyed working here until the demands to meet metrics became the main focus of the job. They are not replacing people that have left quick enough so the workload is high.
Pros
Free snacks food and drinks, great benefits and people are great. Can be fun at times.
Cons
Pay is below average
tableau
Director (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 20, 2017
the company is very young and with that you have very immature process. They have some old leadership in place that needs to be replaced as they are literally keeping things stuck as is and value the 'legacy' more than the need to advance and make the changes - specifically in the Operations umbrella. Started as a great, young, fun company of culture but is now past that and hasn't been able to stay with the need of the employees/business and space they want to be in.
Not worth the culture
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 2, 2017
While the Tableau culture overall, is great, the leading line from HR is always "we want people who want to work here" it typically means all departments with the exception of Dev, get paid about 25-50% less than the market.
Product Consultant
Product Consultant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 30, 2017
Working for Tableau Software was a great experience. I worked there at a time when the company was in the process of going public and it was growing rapidly. The pay wasn't great, but the people were amazing to work with.
Pros
Great work/life balance. Great management.
Cons
the pay was at the low end of the market.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tableau. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

69out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Tableau.