Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department Employee Reviews

Watch your back
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 6, 2019
They don't follow through on what they tell you; they dont know how to coach employees. Limited resources to do your job correctly. At first they encourage you and after some months management is just unapproachable.

High turnover of medical personnel but that's expected.

I liked most of my co-workers.

Way too many unnecessary meetings.

I did a lot in the time given me but my efforts were not acknowledged. There's always a focus on the negative, lack of team work feel.

Micro management!

No ergonomic considerations until you are permanent. Even then it's all about "what's in the budget". Get a doctors note if you need to.

Expect to work with mostly women. Hiring is not very diverse when it comes to gender but it's a diverse culture otherwise.
Pros
Secure building, hour lunches, 4:30 p.m. end time, mostly good co-workers, vending machines and a comfortable lunch room, plenty of unhealthy treats from co-workers, potlucks
Cons
Lack of acknowledgement for your efforts, poor/ micro-management, internal politics, cliques in management, lack of ergonomics, benefits seem great but it doesnt cover costs of prescriptions very well, too many meetings, policy violations, no structured training
Government job
Underpaid employee (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 20, 2018
Its true what they say about working with the government. If you are highly motivated, ethical and have a high sense of moral stay away from this place.
Pros
Lots of holidays
Cons
Management are secretive and sneaky
Beautiful environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 10, 2018
Great place to work with great leaders. Assisting the public is rewarding and so is being involved in the community in Pierce County. I've learned a lot working here.
Pros
flexibility
A good place to work and learn
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 28, 2017
This is a job that requires true dedication and passion. The department is focused on improving the health of all Pierce County residents and addressing the social determinants of health.
Meaningful work that can positively impact individuals and their communities
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 30, 2017
Meaningful work with talented team of colleagues. Ability to reach out to community and together help to improve health outcomes for individuals and families.
Pros
Good people, benefits, and ability to improve lives of others and their community.
Cons
job security was shaky due to budgetary shortfalls, having to lay off staff, hours can be long when deadlines due or crisis situation.
Kind people with little room for personal advancement
Volunteer Intern (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 10, 2016
I have gotten to know a number of people throughout departments who have all proven to be kind and hard working. However, there is little/no room for people to move up or laterally (from personal experience and what my mentors have hinted at). There is little funding available so workers are forced to do too much work for too little money. The building is small and outdated and there is little work space.
Dedicated to improve and protect the health and well-being of the citizens of Pierce County.
Grants and Contracts Specialist (Former Employee) –  37th and Pacific AvenueJanuary 22, 2015
My typical day at work involved working with public health trained professionals in our department. Our basic activities involved contracting with local community based organizations, nonprofits and schools, doing chronic disease prevention, physical activity, nutrition and anti-tobacco projects.

I learned that many of our contractors needed a substantial amount of assistance to comply with the terms and obligations in our contracts.

Overall, my management and co-workers were very supportive of each other and supported our mutual efforts to improve the health and well-being of the people in Pierce County.

The hardest part of the work was the limited funding.

The best part of the job was seeing people in the community work hard to improve the health of their constitutents.
The people are great, and the organization is moving in the right direction.
program manager (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 11, 2014
This is a great place if you enjoy working toward the department's vision of healthy people in healthy communities. Everyone here is truly dedicated.
Pros
Good people with good hearts, great benefits (e.g., vacation and health care), good work culture
Cons
Lots of work to do
Forward looking Public Health
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 6, 2014
It is a great place to work. If the commute wasn't so long and the buses about to be cut, I would not be trying to leave.
Pros
Everyone here really works hard to be part of the solution
Cons
Sometimes ego's get in the way of doing the job right
Great place but laid off due to budget cuts
Public Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 8, 2014
Great place to work and fun people. Fun to work at and lots of learning and workshops.
Pros
Great management
Cons
budget cuts
Public Sector Employment
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 22, 2012
Department is focused on "Health People in Healthy Communities." Prevention focused. Enjoyed working with staff. Enjoyed providing service to internal and external customers.
Pros
excellent compensation and benefits 8-5 mon-fri
Cons
lack of upward mobility
Account Technician (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 30, 2012
Process AP and employee reimbursements
Management is not accessible
Co-workers are great to work with
Hardest part of the job is no set processes
Enjoyable part of job is co-workers