Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department Employee Review

View all Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department reviews

Not the worse experience but certainly not the best either
Drug and Alcohol Counselor (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 16, 2019
The workload is stressful but manageable if you are good at time management. The biggest issue for me is the culture of politics in the chemical dependency clinic. There is no rhyme or reason for anything that happens in that clinic. Everything is at the whim and feelings of the Clinic Coordinator and the click-ish management team. Advancement and cuddos are given to those who brown nose and is not determined by merit or experience.
Pros
decent wages
Cons
click-ish culture

Other Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department Employee Reviews

Administrative
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 9, 2019
Within a five year span, I have applied to Tacoma-Pierce County Heath Department for administration positions, and within each time applying I have gain a significant amount of experience and confidence. However, every time I applied I always get a response that I was not selected for interviewing and HR has decided to move forward with other successful candidates. Yet, that very same day, I will see A job post for that very same position I just got rejected from! It’s who you know in order to get a job with Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department, as they will not give any potential candidates who are more than qualifying a cha nce...unless you have relations with someone who works there. And judging by the past reviews about the organization itself, it’s a good thing I do not work for them because their mission statement of serving the public good is no longer a vision.
Watch your back
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 6, 2019
They don't follow through on what they tell you; they dont know how to coach employees. Limited resources to do your job correctly. At first they encourage you and after some months management is just unapproachable.

High turnover of medical personnel but that's expected.

I liked most of my co-workers.

Way too many unnecessary meetings.

I did a lot in the time given me but my efforts were not acknowledged. There's always a focus on the negative, lack of team work feel.

Micro management!

No ergonomic considerations until you are permanent. Even then it's all about "what's in the budget". Get a doctors note if you need to.

Expect to work with mostly women. Hiring is not very diverse when it comes to gender but it's a diverse culture otherwise.
Pros
Secure building, hour lunches, 4:30 p.m. end time, mostly good co-workers, vending machines and a comfortable lunch room, plenty of unhealthy treats from co-workers, potlucks
Cons
Lack of acknowledgement for your efforts, poor/ micro-management, internal politics, cliques in management, lack of ergonomics, benefits seem great but it doesnt cover costs of prescriptions very well, too many meetings, policy violations, no structured training