Tacoma Public Schools Employee Reviews

Business Process Analyst
Business Process Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 3, 2018
Lead technical and system related projects, research and resolved data and system issues, educate teams on system, data and processes, lead lean process review projects. Analyze HR and financial data, create dashboards. Recommend and present solutions to senior management. The hardest part of my job is not having the freedom to lead. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping others, improving processes and leading project teams.
Pros
Working with data, people and systems.
Cons
Micromanaging
committment to every student every day
Financial Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 8, 2018
Great people working together to make a difference in the lives of students. Even the people that don't directly interact with students feel that what they are doing is making a difference and contributing to the success of students.
Pros
positive workplace culture
Cons
very large organization
great place to work
Nutritionist (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 1, 2018
Tacoma public schools, is a union based Employment, I'm still Employed after 10 years
I enjoy my job because I love working with Elementary School age Children, I'm also a food server as well.I love to bring excellent guest service to the Restaurant I work for, as per good team work with my co workers, I am big on safety as well as keeping guest referring back,
I have been serving for years and I am great at what I do, perfect attendance is important to me as I am a perfectionist. I strive for excellence in my experience as a Server over all I am easy to work with, I take direction well and doy best at learning new strategy
Pros
good work environment
Cons
They are going to lower benefits in the next couple of years
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 26, 2018
Not enough staff to cover shifts as several drivers retired or moved away at the same time- on the plus side that means newer drivers are moving up the bid list faster, but because they are short staffed they are forced to put their sub drivers on regular routes and their solution to not having enough drivers is to cut routes up and tag bits onto other drivers routes taking my work week from 39-40 hours a week to on average 56 a week which was hard on my daughter this last school year.
Pros
Definitely get hours, even if you are just a sub driver
Cons
Short breaks, stay out of the break room because people like to gossip a lot
Poor leaders in Management positions
Head Start Associate (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 20, 2018
I left due to the management "team", they were unorganized, non-experienced, lacked communication skills, and did not take care of their employees. Sad to leave some of the great staff, but not worth staying in such a toxic environment.
It was great
Assistant Track Coach/ On call Sub (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 14, 2018
I really enjoy working for TPS, it's extremely diverse, and theres always room for advancements. You also gain a lot of connections through TPS, as well as just friends.
Pros
Free lunches on meeting days. Ect
Cons
beginning of the school year, work gets stressful.
Elementary Educator (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 13, 2018
Work life depends on the administrator that you work for. A good one balances respect with friendliness. A bad one can make teaching miserable.
Tacoma
Technology Lead (Current Employee) –  PDCMay 16, 2018
Good School District, meeting the needs of kids, teachers, and community. Challenging politics and union. Difficult to meet all the needs of all the stakeholders all the time
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Politics
Awesome
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 28, 2018
Awesome place to work with others, I’ve here 8yrs and I see my self retiring her. I enjoy the company and the coworkers I’ve worked with day to day. Awesome place to work
Group of great people with work with
Asst. Dir. of Student Life/Athletics & Activities (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 12, 2018
TPS is doing great work the Tacoma Community. The Whole Child initiative is revolutionary. The holistic approach to educating the the student emotionally, socially, physically is a process that is groundbreaking.
Pros
The work in the community
Cons
The amount of work is alot.
Treat Teachers Like Servants
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 28, 2018
The pay is reasonable but don’t expect to be treated with respect, because teachers are given no voice and the union has sold out to the district administration. Students come last, unfortunately.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No respect
Working with Native Student
Substitute Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 6, 2018
This was a 35 hour work week with low pay, but a very demanding job. Duties were daily tracking student grades and attendance, compile and create annual and semi annual department reports.
Pros
Breaks
Tacoma Public Schools
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 5, 2018
Great staff, helpful and communicative
Can be stressful but students are wonderful
Enjoyable working with students
The workplace culture is always positive and friendly
it was a great learning experience
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 4, 2018
i got to learn and teach all in one day every time i volunteered. i was always helping someone or doing myself which kept me busy which i like. never a dull moment
Rewarding and fun
Advocate/Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 18, 2018
Had a wonderful time working with the Head Start Program. Loved working with the students and their families. My co-workers were a pleasure to work with.
Paraeducator/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 28, 2017
Tacoma public school can be very challenging at times. There isn't much to advance in this district. Your limits are tested everyday with the everyday challenges of the classroom and demands of the school district. Very limited support from administration for staff.
Great place to work at.
Student Intern / Next Move Internship (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 5, 2017
I loved interning at Rainier Woodworking, the staff were very kind and clear when it came to familiarizing me with the programs and equipment. I really wanted to work there part-time, but unfortunately had no job openings at the time.
Pros
Caring staff, Teaches new associates, Inviting atmosphere, Divers community
Great manager
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 22, 2017
I wish I would have never left. My manager was supportive, trustworthy, and trusted me to assist her without interference. Fast paced for sure but excellent management all around.
Pros
Good pay, great bennies, great management
Cons
SO busy!
Fair compensation that will cost you
OFFICE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 10, 2017
I worked for Tacoma Public Schools for 10 years in 4 different roles. The ability to advance is a bonus, however the lack of training and inappropriate expectations make for a stressful work-life balance.
Pros
Fair Compensation and some good benefits
Cons
Little training, shame and blame culture
TPS is a good place to work. If you enjoy working with students of different backgrounds
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 1, 2017
Overall I've had good and some not so good events. Usually due to team work with staff. There are all types of students. You have to love what you are doing to enjoy your day. You're there for the students.
Pros
off holidays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tacoma Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight