Tacoma Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Elementary Educator (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 13, 2018
Work life depends on the administrator that you work for. A good one balances respect with friendliness. A bad one can make teaching miserable.
Tacoma
Technology Lead (Current Employee) –  PDCMay 16, 2018
Good School District, meeting the needs of kids, teachers, and community. Challenging politics and union. Difficult to meet all the needs of all the stakeholders all the time
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Politics
Awesome
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 28, 2018
Awesome place to work with others, I’ve here 8yrs and I see my self retiring her. I enjoy the company and the coworkers I’ve worked with day to day. Awesome place to work
Group of great people with work with
Asst. Dir. of Student Life/Athletics & Activities (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 12, 2018
TPS is doing great work the Tacoma Community. The Whole Child initiative is revolutionary. The holistic approach to educating the the student emotionally, socially, physically is a process that is groundbreaking.
Pros
The work in the community
Cons
The amount of work is alot.
Treat Teachers Like Servants
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 28, 2018
The pay is reasonable but don’t expect to be treated with respect, because teachers are given no voice and the union has sold out to the district administration. Students come last, unfortunately.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No respect
Working with Native Student
Substitute Para Educator (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 6, 2018
This was a 35 hour work week with low pay, but a very demanding job. Duties were daily tracking student grades and attendance, compile and create annual and semi annual department reports.
Pros
Breaks
Tacoma Public Schools
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 5, 2018
Great staff, helpful and communicative
Can be stressful but students are wonderful
Enjoyable working with students
The workplace culture is always positive and friendly
it was a great learning experience
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 4, 2018
i got to learn and teach all in one day every time i volunteered. i was always helping someone or doing myself which kept me busy which i like. never a dull moment
Rewarding and fun
Advocate/Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 18, 2018
Had a wonderful time working with the Head Start Program. Loved working with the students and their families. My co-workers were a pleasure to work with.
Paraeducator/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 28, 2017
Tacoma public school can be very challenging at times. There isn't much to advance in this district. Your limits are tested everyday with the everyday challenges of the classroom and demands of the school district. Very limited support from administration for staff.

Want to know more about Tacoma Public Schools?

Ask a question
Great place to work at.
Student Intern / Next Move Internship (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 5, 2017
I loved interning at Rainier Woodworking, the staff were very kind and clear when it came to familiarizing me with the programs and equipment. I really wanted to work there part-time, but unfortunately had no job openings at the time.
Pros
Caring staff, Teaches new associates, Inviting atmosphere, Divers community
Great manager
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 22, 2017
I wish I would have never left. My manager was supportive, trustworthy, and trusted me to assist her without interference. Fast paced for sure but excellent management all around.
Pros
Good pay, great bennies, great management
Cons
SO busy!
Fair compensation that will cost you
OFFICE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 10, 2017
I worked for Tacoma Public Schools for 10 years in 4 different roles. The ability to advance is a bonus, however the lack of training and inappropriate expectations make for a stressful work-life balance.
Pros
Fair Compensation and some good benefits
Cons
Little training, shame and blame culture
TPS is a good place to work. If you enjoy working with students of different backgrounds
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 1, 2017
Overall I've had good and some not so good events. Usually due to team work with staff. There are all types of students. You have to love what you are doing to enjoy your day. You're there for the students.
Pros
off holidays
Rewarding Work Environment for the Right Person
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 12, 2017
Compassion and excellence may not be enough. The demands of staff are continuous while the behaviors of the many children who are undernourished, under-nurtured and emotionally/physically abused increases. Although very rewarding on many, many levels, it takes great personal strength to show up each day and sometimes your best just isn't good enough.
More and more
CTE Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 12, 2017
We need to find funding from taxes dollars that are being squandered and relocate them into teachers and schools. If its customary to throw money things until its fixed. Schools and our students need it.
Though everyone in the building is there for one goal - to educate the future consumers, workers, politicians, doctors, etc, what are Administrators and Teachers at each other with a union mediator in between for?
Make it better to be a teacher and lets teach kids for our own sake. They are not a number. if you have to fudge that number, then you're not teaching.
Pros
freedom
Cons
admin
Typical Work Day
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 10, 2017
On a typical work day, I enjoy arriving early so that I am confident in knowing that I am ready to teach my first class of the day. After that, the rest of the day seems to flow by smoothly and quickly.
Pros
Opportunities to work closely with department members
Cons
A disconect between staff and administration
Good
Biology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJuly 29, 2017
Tacoma Public Schools is a great school district to work for. It has many amazing teachers, who are dedicated and committed to educating, and supporting students.
Great place to work.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 30, 2017
In the Tacoma Public Schools (Tacoma, WA) the diversity of students are second to none. I would argue the high school I worked in; was the most culturally diverse population in the country. The school had 1300 students and a great staff. I originally came from a small town in Texas, so when I moved to Washington State, I learned so much about different cultures. I am so fortunate to learn about different people. I would say that the pay was a little low for what I accomplished but I was able to feed my family; and do what I loved (help disadvantaged youth).
Pros
great diversity
Cons
lower pay
Good
Emergency Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 29, 2017
Good- independent work; able to teach with or without critique; kids teach you things doily - able to choose your schedule. Able to push yourself. Classes are offered to motivate staying current on in house and out house issues.
Pros
Great
Cons
Great

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tacoma Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight