TAFT CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION Employee Reviews

Okay
Vocational Instructor (Former Employee) –  Taft, CAJune 3, 2019
The education department was the best place to be in a Correctional facility where those who were open to learning spent their time. I loved it! Learning is good wherever it happens.
Good place to work for beginers
Vocational Instructor (Former Employee) –  Taft, CAMay 17, 2018
If you have never worked in a correctional setting, then this place will let you get your feet wet. It will help you decide if you can handle the day to day life of a correctional worker. Management is supportive, but the pay and benefits are poor. No raises or cost of living increases. You get basic medical and you get 10 days of PTO time up to the end of your 5th year after that you get 15 days.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
poor pay, cola
Great place
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Taft, CAMarch 25, 2018
Great place to work and the staff is very helpful. It is a low level facility were only people who have committed low level crimes are housed which translates to a lower danger to staff.
Safe place with job security
Manager (Current Employee) –  Taft, CAMarch 15, 2018
I really enjoy all the perks of working at a place where things are run professionally with a great warden who promotes cooperation, values and safety.
It a good place to work but no advancement opportunities
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Taft, CADecember 25, 2017
I enjoy working here but their is no advancement or growth. It is quiet at night but it can be pretty busy at times. I like the medical staff however security doesn't always help you when there are codes called during your shift.
Pros
Pretty relaxed for the most part
Cons
scheduling
Great Place to Work
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Taft, CAFebruary 27, 2017
I handle a variety of administrative tasks during my typical day at work. I have learned a great amount about my specific job role.

The leadership at this facility is fantastic. They promote a company culture of respect.

The hardest part of the job is ensuring few to no mistakes are made. In a correctional environment safety could be at stake when mistakes are made.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working around great people who treat each other well.
Pros
Free daily lunches, great co-workers, fair pay
Cons
Cost of adding dependents on benefits, Pto
Stressful and miserable
Commissary Specialist (Former Employee) –  Taft, CAFebruary 8, 2017
Management is terrible. Harassment is very well known. You go into work wondering if it is going to be your last day. The management is doesn't look out for its employees, instead they look to get them However, what I did learn, was professionalism. The dos and donts. How to act and how not to act. A typical day at my old job was constant checking out of inmate groceries and supervising inmates. The hardest part of the job honestly was wondering if you were going to be there tomorrow or if management was going to "find something" on you, because they constantly searched and searched to get employees in trouble which then got the employees terminated. Not one employee that works there likes coming to work, let alone enjoys their days there. All around terrible company to work with, would not recommend to anybody.
Medical Records
Medical Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Taft, CAJanuary 1, 2017
I already reviewed this on here once before. Decent place to work in as long as you dont mind not having the best of benefits
alot of down time
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Taft, CAOctober 19, 2013
locked in with inmates would be a typical day . not very comforting.
i learned a lot about different cultural environments.
management varied with each supervisor some were very helpful others were not so much.
co workers also varied some helpful others made work days hard to get thru .
hardest part of the job was being locked in a prison , it wasn't for me .
the most enjoyable would be the salary .
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
hostile enviroment