Talbots Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
work life balance
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Clarksburg, MDSeptember 17, 2018
These suppose to be a work life balance, maybe for everyone else, not for me. Had to work 4 nights a week, has the asst. store manager, Manager only one night, part time key holders one night each. so how is these work life balance, No raises in two years.
Cons
poor work hours as full time
Staff is pleasant to work with
Client Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2018
The company has been around for a long time, but working there it feels like they want to reach the next generation of clients but not willing to take chances that could lose old clients. The company is for the company, and while client service is the most important part of working there, it often feels that no matter what you do as an employee, there is no benefit to to excell. Raises don’t seem to be part of their culture if you’re not in a management position.
Pros
Good health care options (you pay in), 401 available
Cons
Under staffed and over managed, no recognition financially of a job well done
Best retail experience I've had
Shipping/Receiving, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYSeptember 13, 2018
Retail is retail, but Talbots caters to picky customers who want you to be their personal shopper so you get a lot of customer service experience and friendly interactions
Pros
coworkers
Cons
the hours
rewarding place to work
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 12, 2018
The enjoyment of knowing you helped someone leave the store looking and feeling their best because of the wardrobe you created together. They were dressed for success!
Pros
long lunches
Cons
not enough bonuses
Talbots
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDSeptember 7, 2018
Work was not hard. Very simple help customers and open boxes. The managers are pretty strict about everything. You would like the job if you enjoy being around all elderly ladies
Pros
Relaxed place to work
Cons
Short breaks
Competitive, fast paced environment
Retail Buyer, Store and Catalog Entities (Former Employee) –  Hingham, MASeptember 7, 2018
Talbots is a very typical professional corporate culture that encompasses a multitude of departments that collaborate on a regular basis. My favorite part of the job was the collaboration across all lines of the company.
A fast pace, but fixed environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Township of Liberty, OHAugust 31, 2018
Talbots does a great job of catering to its customers and making sure its employees understand the mission of helping customers. However hours can be fixed with little flexibility and sometimes will be changed without warning.
Great co-worker relationships and atmosphere, no communication with executives
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCAugust 26, 2018
Working at Talbots as a sales associate is a rewarding experience if you are someone who enjoys close relationships with your co-workers and customers. Customer service is a large part of the job, and every customer is meant to be treated like a close friend. Communication between corporate employees and retail employees is essentially non existent. Executive Leadership does not seem to understand the day-to-day of their retail employees and it shows. Expectations of part-time sales associates and other positions are set to an almost unattainable standard and raises are very far and few between.
Pros
positive work environment
Cons
little to no opportunity to advance in position
Lousy place to work demonstrated by turnover for PT employees.
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDAugust 23, 2018
Resigned due to self-serving toxic team of 3 employees,2 of which are full time and the other receives good reviews in exchange for her cleaning skills of the shop.ie:cleaning toilets etc.Training is questionable as it is inconsistent and on the fly given when customers are not in the store. Condescending attitudes present at all times from entire team. I enjoyed seeing lovely colleagues from previous employment in the healthcare industry. Avoid this environment if you want to maintain good health in this overall dirty place!
Pros
No tangible benefits.
Cons
Credit card quotas only benefit managers. Toxic unfair workplace.
Talbots
Production Assistant - DM Packing (Current Employee) –  Lakeville, MAAugust 18, 2018
I have been at Talbots for many years. It is a great place to start out. There is not a lot of advancement in the Distribution Center. The jobs are fast paced are productivity driven.

Want to know more about Talbots?

Ask a question
Credit Selling
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 17, 2018
The hardest part of the job is selling the store card to those you know do not need it. The culture was very laid back. I learned that no matter how hard you work, people quit people, not a company.
Poor management
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sevierville, TNAugust 16, 2018
While I worked there I had many problems stemming from the manager. She made me hate my job and nothing was consistent and she caused nothing but drama. Schedules were never posted for the next week until a day before the new week. Hours and schedules were very inconsistent, she would work 2 people all day and not bring anyone in to provide breaks. Spread lies about people working there, would make the customers feel uncomfortable and not welcome.
Pros
The customers
Nice bunch of people to work with
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Freeport, MEAugust 15, 2018
I enjoyed working at the Freeport Maine Location, I'm only sorry it was a seasonal position. The customers were fun to work with, and it was great to meet so many people from so many different places; Italy, Spain, Germany, France, England, Canada, just to name a few.
fun working enviroment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 12, 2018
learned to fit clothes to a customer's body type
learned to employ excellent customer service skills
Competent management
working with associates and management was a pleasure
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no raises
I was a temporary hire.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rolling Hills Estates, CAAugust 10, 2018
My only issue I guess was with my manager. I was a temporary hire but was told that there was a possibility of a long term position. I work hard for two months. One day I check my schedule for the next week and see that I am not on the schedule. I call the manager and she informs me that my position will no longer be carried on after the season (I was fired). I don’t have an issue with being fired and I understand the risks of taking on a temporary position, but I had worked the previous day. Why not just tell me that I was fired on the day that (unbeknownst to me) was supposed to be my last day working there. I did not like that after working so hard during the Christmas season that I had to be notified via text that I was fired. In my opinion, the situation was highly unprofessional and I would never recommend for anyone to work there - at least not to take a temporary/seasonal position.
Cons
Unprofessional work environment
Good Company
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 10, 2018
Smaller company with timeless, good quality clothing. The culture is good and friendly where your are known and not a number. Raises have not been given in over 3 years, however there are bonus programs for some positions. The medical benefits could be better
Okay as a temporary job
Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAAugust 7, 2018
The pay is okay to start off.....but no raises! Structure within the company benefits the managers, no real incentives for the rest of employees. There is no accountability for managers. They really push to open credit accounts and only the managers benefit from it.
Pros
No raises
Cons
Managers are not held accountable
Talbots was an amazing company to grow and work for, the culture shift and senior management from brooks bro. is disastrous
Store Manager/Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 1, 2018
After 20 years with Talbots I will always have a soft spot because of the relationships and the company it used to be. The culture shift and the disconnect between field management and upper management will in the long run be disastrous to both customers and associates.
Not what I had hoped
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAJuly 31, 2018
This job seemed like it was the ideal job cause I wanted to switch it up after 5 years in a grocery store setting. I was ridiculed on almost a daily basis for not wearing Talbots clothes. I do not feel like I made enough to purchase their clothes each month. Definitely have to be able to multitask and deal with many different types of people.
Pros
Nice management, discounts
Cons
Not enough staff, rude people
Blah
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hingham, MAJuly 30, 2018
Don't expect a raise..ever, but you can expect your benefits premiums to rise. How a company raises benefits when cost of living also goes up every year but refuses to give out annual raises is beyond me. The Executives are sitting pretty though

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Talbots. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight