Talbots Employee Reviews

Love this company
Operations manager (Current Employee) –  New HampshireJuly 16, 2018
Talbots is amazing an amazing company to work for. You never get bored, due to promotions on an every other day basis., visual floor changes every other week and not to mention the customers. The hours are great, and you also get to have a life outside of work. The benefits are great, they start after being with the company for 30 days. Overall just a fun company to work for. Also to add, even though they are a fast paced environment, it literally feels like you’re having a pleasant time while working. I love it. My team is absolutely wonderful. The customers will be customers but without them we wouldn’t be in business. Live it all!!!!
Pros
Discount, benifits, team, company
Classic "Outdated" Retailer
General Manager (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTJuly 16, 2018
The company as a whole is a little outdated and run by people with old school retail mentality. A good look at forward thinking companies that trend set and don't just follow would be an eye opener. Middle Management is challenged with people skills and the company as a whole is a retailer that focuses on the bottom dollar and not the people that generate the revenue, a mistake made by many. My biggest challenge was the client base, often dealing with the self imposed "upper crust" so to speak. I believe everyone puts his/her pants on one leg at a time and no one deserves to be treated poorly. Enough was Enough after a month for me, but I stuck it out for a year. Please think long and hard about what you can and should tolerate before even considering Talbot's in your future. I truly regret my decision to work for the company. I worked for the company in 1998, but it is not the same place, not even close.
Pros
Clothing Discount
Cons
Company Mentalilty
Sales and Service Lead
Sales and Service Lead (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 16, 2018
responsible for a team of anywhere from 12 to 20 team members. Took supervisor calls, monitored two calls a week, and coach members on ways to help with their call handling skills.
lack of annual raises and bonuses do not reflect increasing workload.
Merchandise Planner (Current Employee) –  Hingham, MAJuly 15, 2018
They expect a lot out of their employees, which is fine, but they do not pay them appropriately for the level of dedication they expect. Many salaried employees bring work home nightly, or on weekends, just to ensure that they have enough time to get everything done. With people leaving frequently, increasing amounts of work are distributed among the remaining members of the team without any increase in compensation. It is expected that you will stay until 7 or 8 pm for business meetings, which are well beyond office hours.
Fun workplace and meeting new people daily
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJuly 13, 2018
Productive and fun workplace. Meeting new and interesting people daily. Staff is amazing and willing to help if needed. Flexible schedule. Work part-time or full-time.
Friendly atmosphere
Sales Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Estero, FLJuly 12, 2018
My responsibilities daily included receiving, opening & stocking products.Also Send sales,mark downs & consolidations & reticketing when needed.
Learned a lot about workings of retail.
The workplace was very fast paced. The job became more difficult when stock room received more inventory than there was room for.
Management was fair and easy to work witj
Loved working with sales associates & the fast pace work.
I also enjoy organizing.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Hours never consistent & responsibilities kept changing
High pressure sales
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAJuly 9, 2018
While there were many colleagues I enjoyed working with, when I was there, there were sales targets which made it a stressful and competetitive workplace.
Pros
Exciting sales atmosphere
Cons
Stressful
If You Like Fashion
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhasset, NYJuly 9, 2018
They have a strong brand and quality products, which hepled with making sales.
The best perk was the 50% employee discounts. Your hours were unpredictable and they wanted you to be on call. I would end up driving a half an hour to work 3 hours. It's your typical retail job with a lot of evening, weekend and holiday hours.
Pros
Working around fashion and being creative with ensembles and merchandising.
Cons
No commissions for sales and lack of advancement opportunities.
Productive and relationship-building
SALES SUPPORT (Current Employee) –  Fairlawn, OHJuly 8, 2018
Talbots is the perfect work environment for all of my strengths. It allows me to meet new people, build and maintain relationships, and continuously enhance my professional communication skills.
You’re just a number to them
Distribution Associate (Former Employee) –  Lakeville, MAJuly 6, 2018
I would never go back my years here were awful. There is absolutely no job security, they will replace you very quickly with someone else. I worked in the same department for two years and one day I went in and they had me train someone else who I thought was going to be a back up but that didn’t happen. I came in to that person working my job and I had to learn something else.
Cons
Short breaks, healthcare
One of the best
Director of Design and Planning (Former Employee) –  Hingham, MAJuly 5, 2018
One of the best companies that I have worked for. They were very receptive to my ideas and compensated me accordingly.

It was a very structured environment and when we went to make a presentation to the president we always had to wear a jacket and tie. The presentations followed an approved process.

All of the internal departments worked well together. I thought this company had some of the best management I had ever worked with...…..talented and professional.
Pros
Great people
Very structured work environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXJune 27, 2018
Atypical day at Talbots consists with creating a welcoming experience with the customer, and assisting with any of her needs. Social skills are a requirement for the job and you have to have a passion for fashion. The management is strict, but the company does a great job of creating a lasting experience with customers.
Great Place To Work
Client Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 17, 2018
Great place to work. Fantastic Store Manager!

The clients are nice deal with very loyal and easy to work with.

Flexible schedule and friendly atmosphere.
Pros
Great Place To Work
Cons
Pay.
Great product but company not always friendly
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rehoboth Beach, DEJune 16, 2018
Company sells a great product - always in fashion. Company not always on side of employees. Work and home life not a good fit in some stores. Upper management not always on same page as what is needed in the stores.
highly operational environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 13, 2018
Lovely culture and clients. Collaborative and team environment. Highly operational and multiple sale set ups. No room for advancement past the store manager level.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, PAJune 11, 2018
Very well managed, thorough training, friendly workplace environment. Learned a lot about customer service and providing the best service to valued customers.
great place to work
SALE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJune 4, 2018
having patience and customers goes hand an hand it was a pleasure to develop relationships with my customers management was great and the workplace was comfortable hardest part was having customers that could make there mind up abut what they wanted having patience with them took far in this job i learned alot
Pros
customers that could make there mind up abut what they wanted
Cons
discounts on clothing
I am enjoying it
Associate (Current Employee) –  Rehoboth, MAJune 3, 2018
I am enjoying Talbots, but it is very difficult to get pay that I believe that I deserve. I do have my degree however, unlike most of the other workers there.
Very comfortable workplace
Client Specialist (Current Employee) –  Montclair, NJMay 31, 2018
Since I was about 18 years old, I have been working at Talbots and enjoy every minute of it. I am now 23 years old and have been inspired to proceed with Marketing and Sales thanks to working at Talbots for many years. I have learned so much and obtained many skills that I will carry throughout my life.
Pros
Staff is like family
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Metairie, LAMay 29, 2018
The manager I was under at the time was the worse. She constantly put people down, scheduled you to work when there wasn't much foot traffic in the store to make your selling goal.
Pros
Co-workers an customers, loved all of them.
Cons
Manager was the only-non-degree person working there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Talbots. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight