Talbots Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
PART TIME SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  South Windsor, CTNovember 16, 2018
This is a nice place to have a part time job. Employees receive a 50% discount. One is expected to wear their expensive clothes. Everyone is part time..

I've only been employed for less than one month. A family member came into the store and said shouldn't recognize the employees from the customers because some of the employees wore jeans.

There are no negatives if you are seeking a part time job and have no hopes to advance or do more. Apply and have a good time in this retail store.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, easy job, no stress, no strain
Cons
Pays slightly more than min wage, if you're seeking to do more, then apply to different company
Best Seasonal Job
Seasonal Call Center Rep (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 2, 2019
I was hired on as a temp seasonal agent and I really didn't think I'd like talbots but I love it. I wish I could become permanent but there are no openings. Not as stressful as some call center jobs so I don't think burn out will be an issue.
Pros
Flexible schedule (perfect for busy moms), weekly pay, nice and clean environment, and nice employees
Cons
Not many hours, no discounts for temps.
Mission oriented and fun workplace
CLIENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, ILOctober 23, 2018
Talbots is driven by their commitment to provide classic contemporary wardrobe items for customers. They have extremely loyal customers who are willing to pay more for the quality of clothing that Talbots offers. Their mission is well known by everyone who works there. They offer incentives for the sales team to help stores reach their sales goals. Staff are expected to dress neatly in a casual business style and to be professional in all their dealings with customers and other team members. They encourage camaraderie among sales team members and a sense of fun.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Retail has a large turnover rate so staffing is sometimes an issue
Fun, great place to meet new people every day, love Talbots clothing
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Market Square Plaza , Ocala FLOctober 4, 2018
Just a wonderful, fun place to work. There are no commission sales. Everyone works as a team.

The customers are pleased because all the employees are always so eager to help.

Our work load is always divided equally and everyone takes pride in their work and the way our store looks.

It's neat and tidy and all employees really know the talbots product.

Like I said it is really fun to go to work at talbots!
Pros
no commission sales, great discounts
Cons
wish pay was higher
Work/life balance is a joke. Expectations for events is too high when not enough payroll is given to accomplish anything in those stores.
Store Manager/Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORNovember 2, 2018
Exhausting, culture for customers was the only plus to that job. Loved my clients and my staff. Still have friends that work there and are constantly exhausted and fed up.
Pros
Pay for managers
Cons
Payroll hours and expectations too high
Returns
anonymous (Current Employee) –  Lakeville, MAOctober 2, 2018
This is for sure not the same company!! As to when I stared the company used to care about us.Raises every year on how we preformed after it got sold forget about raises.
health insurance is terrible goes up every year and no raises
if you are just looking for a job just to help out in your household great you have one. But to make it on your own not going to happen the pay is very low for the amount of work we do especially for the ones that actually work.
Pros
2/15 min breaks and 30 min lunch not paid just Fri extra 15 mins paid
Cons
health insurance and low pay no raises
Retail
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 1, 2018
It is always busy, learned a lot about retail, sales and customer service and relationships in a strong corporate environment.
Liked their playbooks and company culture
Low pay for hard work because there are never enough associates to handle the customers.
Meeting people and connect with customers
Pros
part time, flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay, Odd hours
Staff is pleasant to work with
Client Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2018
The company has been around for a long time, but working there it feels like they want to reach the next generation of clients but not willing to take chances that could lose old clients. The company is for the company, and while client service is the most important part of working there, it often feels that no matter what you do as an employee, there is no benefit to to excell. Raises don’t seem to be part of their culture if you’re not in a management position.
Pros
Good health care options (you pay in), 401 available
Cons
Under staffed and over managed, no recognition financially of a job well done
I enjoyed my work experience and would def work there again.
Key Holder Manager (Former Employee) –  Commerce, GANovember 25, 2018
I loved working st talbots and I loved the customers as well. I was younger than most of my associates under me, which sometimes caused an issue with them as well as some customers seemed to think I was too young even though I knew my job better than some older women.
Lousy place to work demonstrated by turnover for PT employees.
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDAugust 23, 2018
Resigned due to self-serving toxic team of 3 employees,2 of which are full time and the other receives good reviews in exchange for her cleaning skills of the shop.ie:cleaning toilets etc.Training is questionable as it is inconsistent and on the fly given when customers are not in the store. Condescending attitudes present at all times from entire team. I enjoyed seeing lovely colleagues from previous employment in the healthcare industry. Avoid this environment if you want to maintain good health in this overall dirty place!
Pros
No tangible benefits.
Cons
Credit card quotas only benefit managers. Toxic unfair workplace.
Great co-worker relationships and atmosphere, no communication with executives
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCAugust 26, 2018
Working at Talbots as a sales associate is a rewarding experience if you are someone who enjoys close relationships with your co-workers and customers. Customer service is a large part of the job, and every customer is meant to be treated like a close friend. Communication between corporate employees and retail employees is essentially non existent. Executive Leadership does not seem to understand the day-to-day of their retail employees and it shows. Expectations of part-time sales associates and other positions are set to an almost unattainable standard and raises are very far and few between.
Pros
positive work environment
Cons
little to no opportunity to advance in position
Poor management
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sevierville, TNAugust 16, 2018
While I worked there I had many problems stemming from the manager. She made me hate my job and nothing was consistent and she caused nothing but drama. Schedules were never posted for the next week until a day before the new week. Hours and schedules were very inconsistent, she would work 2 people all day and not bring anyone in to provide breaks. Spread lies about people working there, would make the customers feel uncomfortable and not welcome.
Pros
The customers
Great place, great people
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAJanuary 2, 2019
I absolutely loved my time working at Talbots. I was able to be promoted twice in the span of four years. Management truly cared about employees, and was passionate about the company's mission - to make every customer's day, and build relationships.
Cons
Short Breaks
Not what I had hoped
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Northampton, MAJuly 31, 2018
This job seemed like it was the ideal job cause I wanted to switch it up after 5 years in a grocery store setting. I was ridiculed on almost a daily basis for not wearing Talbots clothes. I do not feel like I made enough to purchase their clothes each month. Definitely have to be able to multitask and deal with many different types of people.
Pros
Nice management, discounts
Cons
Not enough staff, rude people
Talbots was an amazing company to grow and work for, the culture shift and senior management from brooks bro. is disastrous
Store Manager/Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 1, 2018
After 20 years with Talbots I will always have a soft spot because of the relationships and the company it used to be. The culture shift and the disconnect between field management and upper management will in the long run be disastrous to both customers and associates.
Love this company
Operations manager (Current Employee) –  New HampshireJuly 16, 2018
Talbots is amazing an amazing company to work for. You never get bored, due to promotions on an every other day basis., visual floor changes every other week and not to mention the customers. The hours are great, and you also get to have a life outside of work. The benefits are great, they start after being with the company for 30 days. Overall just a fun company to work for. Also to add, even though they are a fast paced environment, it literally feels like you’re having a pleasant time while working. I love it. My team is absolutely wonderful. The customers will be customers but without them we wouldn’t be in business. Live it all!!!!
Pros
Discount, benifits, team, company
Quick paced work enviornment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TN 37922January 9, 2019
When I first began at Talbots I loved my position, but as my schooling became more grueling I had to take a step back. Would recommend for customer service representatives. They offer great benefits and tons of overtime.
lack of annual raises and bonuses do not reflect increasing workload.
Merchandise Planner (Current Employee) –  Hingham, MAJuly 15, 2018
They expect a lot out of their employees, which is fine, but they do not pay them appropriately for the level of dedication they expect. Many salaried employees bring work home nightly, or on weekends, just to ensure that they have enough time to get everything done. With people leaving frequently, increasing amounts of work are distributed among the remaining members of the team without any increase in compensation. It is expected that you will stay until 7 or 8 pm for business meetings, which are well beyond office hours.
Friendly atmosphere
Sales Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Estero, FLJuly 12, 2018
My responsibilities daily included receiving, opening & stocking products.Also Send sales,mark downs & consolidations & reticketing when needed.
Learned a lot about workings of retail.
The workplace was very fast paced. The job became more difficult when stock room received more inventory than there was room for.
Management was fair and easy to work witj
Loved working with sales associates & the fast pace work.
I also enjoy organizing.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Hours never consistent & responsibilities kept changing
If You Like Fashion
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhasset, NYJuly 9, 2018
They have a strong brand and quality products, which hepled with making sales.
The best perk was the 50% employee discounts. Your hours were unpredictable and they wanted you to be on call. I would end up driving a half an hour to work 3 hours. It's your typical retail job with a lot of evening, weekend and holiday hours.
Pros
Working around fashion and being creative with ensembles and merchandising.
Cons
No commissions for sales and lack of advancement opportunities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Talbots. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight