Talen Energy Employee Reviews

Productive with alot of work to do, and only certain people ever get promoted
Administrative Assistant and Trainer (Current Employee) –  Colstrip, MTJuly 9, 2019
I do not enjoy this job as it is below my level of training. the hardest part of the job is the people. The good ol boy system seems to be huge around here. Alot of management is retiring and those put into the empty spots are new at supervising and managing, making it difficult to enjoy work here.
Decent gig with a leadership problem
Nuclear Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Berwick, PAJune 28, 2019
Fair hours considering the position. Starting wage is relatively decent. However, it is a very "pass the buck" with supervisors and upper management's sole concern seems to be money and nothing else. Unable to obtain straight answers about much of anything. It's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but higher ups are very out of touch.
Would not recommend
Nuclear Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Berwick, PAMarch 7, 2019
Would not recommend. Nuclear industry is dying. Company management only cares about short term money. Cut throat and back stabbing culture. No work life balance.
ppl was good changed hands its a mess
Heavy Equipment Operator 4 (Former Employee) –  York Haven, PAJanuary 5, 2019
When the power plant was PPL the company was a great place to work and it changed to Talen energy and it went downhill very fast they cut the work force and pushed the all the work on other employees We had a good supervisor but the guy in charge of the power plant was a idiot. Soon to be out of business I believe and many others feel the same.
i cant wait to leave
Journey Electrician (Current Employee) –  Berwick, PANovember 6, 2018
This was a great place to work a few years ago. since talen took over its going to h*** in a handbasket. I cannot wait to leave. it has become completely cut throat.
Company no longer cares about employees
Legal Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAOctober 22, 2018
Company was spun off from PPL. Since being sold to Riverstone, company is only focused on the "bottom line". Benefits are being reduced, and jobs being moved to Texas.
Exciting place to work.
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Colstrip, MTSeptember 25, 2018
Working at talented energy is challenging and exciting. We deal with a lot of high elevations,and climbing around on pipes. The people are kind and caring for the most part.
Not a company to work for
Stockman generation shift (Former Employee) –  York Haven, PASeptember 20, 2018
new company may of growing pains and always trying to do more with less. They are doing everything to destroy the union and ruin people’s lives by displacement processes
Pros
Pay
Cons
Another Outage position for the spring outage
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Berwick, PASeptember 7, 2018
Worked in the warehouse for the Spring Outage. Enjoyed the physical aspect of working with this position. Lots of walking. Also worked inside the plant in the in-plant tool room and in the reactor building dry well tool area. Loved seeing the inside of the reactor building of a nuclear plant. Love interacting with the contractors.
Pros
Good compensation, good work environment
Cons
Short term
Busy, productive and fun
Analyst/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Martins Creek, PASeptember 6, 2018
I enjoy going to work and spending time with my coworkers. We get a lot of work done but also have some fun. Some days are busier than other but we always try to make the best of it.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Union
Typical Power Plant Operation
Assistant Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Colstrip, MTAugust 30, 2018
Focus on maintaining the efficient and reliable production of electrical energy. Extensive experience in design and maintenance of mechanical, electrical, and chemical systems and processes.
Pros
Competitive compensation
Cons
Remote physical location
Good People
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  C.P. Crane BaltimoreAugust 29, 2018
As a Supervisor/Manager working in the Power Plant environment was rewarding. Working shift work and 12 hour shifts had advantages and disadvantages. Working shift work was the most enjoyable part and was also the hardest part, leaving family and activities in the middle of the day to go into work. Power plant employees are very reliable and dependable which made my job as a manager much easier.
Fair pay and benefits
Purchasing Agent/Buyer (Former Employee) –  Berwick, PAAugust 27, 2018
Talen Energy was the former public utility PP&L. Under PP&L the pay and benefits were outstanding. The company and union contract allowed me to complete a bachelors degree at Penn State. After which I was promoted in to a purchasing/buyer position.

The new owner, Talen Energy continues to go through a work force reduction. I received a severance package.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Must be available when needed
Talen offers the opportunity for growth and advancement.
Corporate Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PA 18101August 10, 2018
Talen offers opportunity for growth and advancement in the supply side of the electric industry. As an employee in the accounts payable division of Talen Energy I had the privilege of working with several different accounts payable processing systems which enabled me to expand my skill set.
Enjoyable work environment
Specific Temporary for Outage (Former Employee) –  Berwick, PAJune 29, 2018
Although this is a temporary job they pay extremely well. You have to give up part of your social life to commit to the hours for the amount of time for the job, but the environment is fun and the main staff will help you out anyway they could to get you to complete your job up to requirements.
Awful place to work
Specialist (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJune 21, 2018
Just a horrible place to work. Worst decision of my career. Workplace culture is cancerous. Old, dying industry with old, dying mindset. If you like frustration, stress and nastiness, this is a place for you.
Pros
Good pay and decent benefits
Cons
Everything else
It could have been great
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAJune 8, 2018
Talen was great when it was first spun off, but once it became private it all went downhill. Massive layoffs except for Texas, where they keep hiring. Employees that remain are overworked. Management is trying to change too much at once, and in the meantime all the departments point fingers at each other every time something goes wrong. No one is on the same page anymore and no one wants to take responsibility. They're setting themselves up for failure.
Pros
Schedule flexibility and ability to work remotely once a week, depending on which department you're in or who your manager is.
Cons
Too focused on appearances, say one thing but do another, and failure to recognize and promote their best talent.
Very good job.
Operation and Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Bayonne, NJMay 9, 2018
Very Old Culture, with the mentality that we are the only ones that know and we out us this company will not run. Every equipment has mechanical and operation procedures and drawings the Human interaction and the lack of engineering knowledge of Corporate management is the bad part.
Pros
salary
Cons
People fear for the Jobs.
New Management changed everything
Compliance Specialist, Real Time Systems (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAMarch 21, 2018
I had high hopes when Talen Energy was spun off from PPL. The challenge of standing up a brand new company was exciting. Then, new management took over and cut the IT department by more than half. Many of our duties were outsourced. I felt that upper management did not know who we were, nor did they want to find out.

On the positive side, I had opportunity to increase my knowledge by helping out other groups as IT people began leaving the company for greener pastures.
Pros
More flexible than other Utilities.
Cons
Upper Management was distant
Fun place to work
Stockman Generation Shift (Former Employee) –  York Haven, PAFebruary 1, 2018
It was good atmosphere with fun people to work with. It was very laid back and management was easy to get along with. The hardest part was being out in the extreme heat and cold
Pros
money
Cons
night shift