Talkspace
Coronavirus update

Talkspace Employee Reviews for Therapist

Therapist50 reviews
United States50 reviews
I currently work at Talkspace and in the last 6 months, I have been able to build a pretty decent caseload of clients, and I enjoy my work. I also have the opportunity to work from anywhere. The most challenging thing about Talkspace is that, as a therapist, I want to provide a good clinical service to my clients. It is my opinion that Talkspace doesn't make this a priority. This is because the emphasis is on things such as the number of words you write and how quickly you respond to people. In the field, we often believe that less is more and that working harder than clients is not healthy for them. It is also critical to set boundaries with clients, and it is good practice to suggest higher levels of care if this is needed. I don't feel like Talkspace supports this. Talkspace also suggests using smiley faces in messages. I think they need more clinicians in leadership. Don't get me started on the pay, because it's degrading how bad it is, and how much Talkspace takes away from the clinicians.
I am disgusted by the recent changes at TS. They charge the customers more and pay therapists less and less. I hope a class action suit is filed against them.
Pros
Cons
Too many
I have been with them since 2016 and it has changed drastically. They prioritize customer satisfaction and bottom line over the the care for their therapists. It’s sad, really.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
So many to list
I really enjoy working with Talk Space! As an experienced therapist, I get to use my skills in a unique way. My team is supportive and I have a variety of mentors I can access and get support from.
Pros
flexible, work any hours, control amount of clients available
Cons
fast work pace
I've been a therapist on Talkspace for about 4 years. During that time, there's been a lot of change, but I also recognize that I'm working in a startup and that's the nature of the startup culture. I love being part of an innovative company that's constantly changing and is really leading the way in the world of digital mental health. I have access to free clinical consultation services which is helpful with more difficult cases. I've also been really pleased by Talkspace's commitment to supporting frontline healthcare workers and individuals impacted by racial injustices through their donation of free therapy services.
Pros
ability to work your own hours, innovative technology, free training and opportunities for consultation
Cons
ongoing adjustments and changes as is typical in most startups
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
When I started at Talkspace 4 years ago, it was exciting and new. There was a lot of guidance and interaction from management and things were really positive Pay was even good in the past 2 years things have gone from bad to absolutely horrific. Communication decreased from management then eventually just stopped. The pay rate for qualified, trained therapists is abismal. The regulations they’ve put on how to respond to your clients is unrealistic Therapists are punished by taking away the ability to get new clients with no feedback as to why
Pros
Cons
Poor pay, poor management, not even close to real therapy for clients
This is a sad review for me to write. I have been with Talkspace for almost 4 years. When I first started I felt like I had joined a family. The atmosphere was supportive and, even though the compensation was not ideal, the flexibility and support made up for it. Over the past year there have been so many changes. The compensation has decreased substantially even though the cost of the plans for the clients has risen. One example of an instituted change is compensation based on word count. This leads to compensation based on quantity of words rather than quality of care which are definitely not synonymous. They also took away the use of the Slack platform which had been used for communication not only with management, but with other therapists as well. This left me as a therapist feeling isolated and tremendously unsupported and undervalued during a time of such rapid and unwelcome change. I do not recommend that anyone works for this organization, it used to be great, but not anymore. The only things keeping me as part of the organization are the relationships that I have built with my long-term clients.
Cons
not supportive for the providers, very low compensation
I worked for 2 years as an online therapist. over that time they adapted their pay structure several times, finding ways to deduct therapist pay. first it was penalizing therapist for "late" responses and ultimately penalizing therapist when clients don't engage at a specific level, deducting 85% of the pay!
My last payment was about $2, for a month of engagement with a client. if you prefer working for free then this is the job for you. if you expect fair pay, look somewhere else.
Pros
work from home
Cons
pay is ridiculous
Talkspace is an awful organization with which to work. Their organizational culture has significantly declined in the past few years, leading to a mass exodus of therapists. Their method of paying therapists is ethically concerning and is questionably considered fee-splitting, which is illegal in some states. They don't screen clients for a "good fit" for telehealth, resulting in a surplus of clients who are not appropriate for the platform. Overall, do not recommend contracting with them. It's a liability nightmare.
I've been a therapist on this platform for 3 years. It was great at first when they actually paid you. Now they barely pay you, and it's based on word count. If your clients don't type much, you don't make anything. It's 1000 words for $10, up to 7500 words for you and 7500 words for your client, so a total of $150. Most clients roll off after a month or so, so, their engagement benefits are useless. Don't waste your time. They make it impossible to leave and have unethical practices. This company is terrible. They no longer care about their therapists and want ALL THE PROFIT FOR THEMSELVES. Good luck finding any therapists to work for you in the future unless you change.
I started working with talkspace in 2017 and the first two years it was worth it. They compensated well, used slack to encourage therapists to connect with each other, and encouraged independence. In the past year they discontinued slack so therapists could no longer connect with each other. This isolation strategy appears to have been implemented once they included features like a reply by button, and reduced compensation and therapists started to group together in their protest. Most recently they’ve implemented an AI program that scans all client rooms and invades privacy as well as another strong pay decrease as they continue to increase prices for clients.
I have been a therapist with Talkspace for over 3 years. There have been several changes to pay over the years, but the most recent one makes it impossible to continue on the platform. We now no longer get paid for clients we worked hard to retain over the years. If they go a month without needing to discuss anything, Talkspace takes their whole payment. Also now get paid $10 per 1000 words. Sharing exercises, handouts, article citations, and other resources of therapeutic benefit is now disincentivized. Providing the best clinical care is not a priority. These changes exploit therapists, and make me question the ethics and values of this company whom I once loved being a contractor for.
Talkspace has changed its payment to Therapists many times over the past year. Beginning February and into April, things got even worse. They want to pay LICENSED therapists $10 for every 1 thousand words exchanged with a client. What could be worse? Glad you asked. They also stopped putting how much clients are paying for the service, and stopped putting how much they are taking from the payment, and only show what couple of dollars they are paying the therapist. I have reached out numerous times to confront them and ask them what they are taking from the client and they refused to answer and told me I would be referred to "Consumer relations." That was over a week ago and no one has contacted me. They have no phone number to reach anyone, its email only. I have been a provider for 2.5 years and I am phasing off talkspace due to this. They emailed me today stating they will pay me $200 just for accepting new clients because now people are leaving and refusing to take clients under the new $10 per 1 thousand words exchanged. I declined. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY.
Pros
It USED to be lucrative and fair.
Cons
Payment
Unethical company All about the money stay far away. They kept demanding more work and paying less and less totally disgusted with talkspace!!!!!
A year ago, I was ok getting paid $4 per day = $90-$100 a month because I enjoyed providing online therapy and I did this as a side hustle. Then Talkspace implemented a Mandatory Reply by time which is impossible to meet if you also have a full time job. I stuck around. Now, they are paying therapists per word. $10 per 1000 words. Engaged clients who are depressed, or not sure what to say often take the most time and effort which is not valued and clearly Talkspace is no longer paying for expertise. Talkspace is charging people $150-$250 per month and paying therapists $0-$35 per month! If clients knew their money was not going to the therapists who are helping them improve their lives, I think they would feel cheated and outraged.
Therapists need to complete 2 months of non-paid training before they can start. Talkspace changes the rules and policies frequently which never benefit the therapists.
Cons of Working with Talkspace:

1) No flexibility in work schedule: The company recently started a new policy, where therapists have to respond to every client's messages within a certain strict timeframe. If a therapist replies outside of the allotted timeframe, her pay will be reduced immediately!

- Related to this, therapists are now then required to respond to clients as much as 3 times a day.

2) Very low pay: They started a new policy in April of 2020, where therapists get compensated by the number of words they write. At the time of this writing, the compensation is $10 for 1,000 words that therapists exchange with their clients. If one gets a client who does not write very much, then the compensation would be drastically reduced due to the small number of total word counts exchanged between a therapist and the client.

3) Demoralizing work: Most of the clients will only purchase the services that come with only text messaging, meaning no live video sessions. How effective can therapy be when therapists and clients only "meet" and communicate via writing?

- Talkspace will cite research on the effectiveness of Telehealth and Online therapy to persuade the potential clients and therapists that what Talkspace is selling, in terms of their services, is effective. However, let's not forget that almost all the research done in the field of telehealth therapy involves live, face-to-face, video chat with clients! Simply writing messages to one's clients has severe limitations and is probably not very effective!

4) Frequent changes in pay and work policy
 - more...
The therapists' pay is horrible, amounting often to minimum wage after having a doctorate. An insult to the profession. The only good thing is that it is fully remote. Seriously not worth it unless you have no other options. Talkspace therapists=desperate.
This job offers the ability to work from home and to set your own time limits of how many hours you want to work.

The main down part of the job is that the salary is not equal to the amount of work required.
If you’re considering working here, please reconsider! When I first started, I loved working for Talkspace! I had support and community and a ton of flexibility with decent pay. But ALL of that has gradually changed over the past few months, and is now rapidly changing weekly! Talkspace has become more concerned about their profit than the well-being of either clients or therapists. They’ve changed the pay structure so that most of what a client pays goes to the company and NOT to the therapist, even though we are the ones doing the work! They’ve completely removed any sense of community or support. And their app has become steadily more complicated and restrictive to the point that the therapists have lost all autonomy! Therapists are isolated - I believe so we can’t communicate about the changes. The email support is robotic. Where once I felt like an integral part of a company that benefitted all involved, and that my input was valued, now I feel like a cog in a pseudo therapy machine that only values profit!
Pros
Location independence
Cons
Consistent pay cuts - almost weekly!
In the 13 years I've practiced psychotherapy, I've never been treated so horribly or paid so little. That's saying a lot, given that I worked for 5 years in community mental health. I was paid less than minimum wage per hour. Morale there is very low. Therapists look to each other for support in trying to find ways out of this job with referrals to other agencies or online platforms. Management doesn't give a heck that we are burned out. They have no respect for the years of education and clinical skill or experience we have. They want us to be bots and pull in great numbers to line the company's pockets. If a client complains about the smallest thing, the therapist is restrained from taking on new clients or is punished by having to talk to a consultant or coach. Talkspace engages in unethical practices that break HIPAA and privacy rights for clients. They administer personality assessments based on words the clients type. The data collected is shared and sold (which is in the Terms and Conditions clients agree to when signing up). But the print is small and written in legal language . You have to check with your clients to see if they've actually read and understood it. NONE of mine say yes. I was very afraid each day that Talkspace's unethical practices were going to eventually land me in a heap of trouble that would lead to the loss of my license. Between that and the extremely low pay, I had to leave. It's sad, because until early 2019 I loved working for this company.
Pros
There used to be several. I can't think of any now.
Cons
Disrespect for therapists. Unethical practices. Extremely low pay.
After almost three years it is hard to believe this is the same company, the very worst part is how they continue use to change requirements AND compensation almost exclusively to their benefit! Marketing provides a false sense of therapist availability and when expectations aren’t met clients leave. Initial subscription discounts are so deep people very typically can not afford a second month. That’s comparable to 4 face to face sessions...I can’t help people change their lives in 4 sessions. There is NO room for advance, cannot even imagine why people would say that, there is NO management just directives from on high and out of the blue, therapists are NOT valued. The only job culture left after they cancelled slack is a FB group and most are there (justifiably) to complain. There is some flexibility for travel etc but they seem to be so short of therapists in my states of license that I can’t turn on availability without getting 2-3 clients in 24 hours....tooooo much work for the low pay!
They treat you like an employee but we are ALL contractors!
Pros
It used to be ok...
Cons
It’s getting worse and worse by the week!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Talkspace. Our community is ready to answer.
2.3
2.5
2.6
Career recommendations for Therapist
Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more