Talkspace
Happiness rating is 41 out of 100

Talkspace Employee Reviews for Therapist

The expectations are unrealistic. The "Reply By" means a therapist is basically on-call for 8-10 hours per day to respond to clients who hit the button up to three times a day. When I averaged out how many hours I was working each day with what I was making, I realized my housekeeper makes more than I do. There is no guidance and despite being assigned a "mentor" there was limited contact and basically no support. I had clients who left lengthy messages (voice or written) several times a day, far exceeding the 45-50 minutes of time spend with a client each week.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
No support, poor pay.
The biggest pro to being a Talkspace therapist is the ability to set your own hours. The compensation is pretty low compared to having your own private practice, but they do all billing, marketing, advertising, etc. plus you do not have to have anything other than an iPhone and wifi though a desktop or laptop computer helps. Basically they take the sales and business part of being in private practice which makes it all worth it to me-- I can truly focus on my clients' progress. I recommend this as a side hustle but not a full-time gig. Do not pursue this opportunity unless you are tech-savvy and willing to figure out policies and procedures on your own without a lot of quickly accessible help.
Pros
Work your own hours, easily gain clients
Cons
Policies change regularly, pay not amazing
require to work long hours. pay is low. but overall the job is okay.would not recommend if you have other alternatives. I would recommend for beginners
You have deadlines to respond and this keeps you responding even after your set work hours. You will receive clients from outside your state, even if you shouldn’t. It can be a toxic environment for clients since they can message you whenever they want to. You don’t have to respond if you’re not working but this can lead to comments on self harm or worse making it hard and an ethical conundrum to not reply.
Pros
Remote work
Cons
Low pay, ethical issues, not a healthy setting for clients
Great for extra money (though not enough for full time, in most cases). Enjoy helping the clients but many have unrealistic expectations, in part due to unreasonable response time requirements. This model of therapy does tend to foster a desire for instant gratification and clients may be quick to criticize it not “fixed” immediately. I have ethical concerns related to acuity of illness and handling clients with suicidal ideation, as well. Clients can choose to share very little about who they are and many don’t engage in video sessions, making it difficult to really build rapport.
Pros
Flexible, user friendly platform, good video quality in sessions
Cons
Lower pay, ethical concerns
Fairly newer provider. We're assigned a peer mentor, while some may be good, mine is useless and answers all questions by referring you back to the provider see manual and doesn't actually answer any of your questions. There is little support with a high demand to respond to clients within a specific timeframe because the platform " guarantees" response times. You'd never actually know it was guranteed or what plans are available and what they include unless you create a dummy account and pretend that you want to sign up for services.
Pros
Work on days you choose
Cons
Poor support
I began with Talkspace this year and plan to finish out December and move on. The pay structure is a nightmare with very little logic or consistency. Clients/employers pay a lot, therapists get very little. So where does all of that money go? The platform offers clients little to no support on the business end and clients will wait weeks for a response regarding their accounts or other questions. Clients end up feeling as if they should be getting more and therapists feel overworked and unable to keep up with demands.
Pros
Convenient
Cons
Pay, response time, ethical concerns
Only been there about 2 weeks but I am kind of at a loss as to whether I like it or not. They are not very clear on a lot of things and I will check back in later.
Simply put you get paid minimum wage for work beyond that.While texting someone for therapy is easy it's the time demands that are a struggle.For me, i was required to respond in some way by 3 times (I chose evenings-4pm, 8pm and midnight). This became difficult because my day job fluctuates and I have no time not working now due to the demands. The platform used is OK, but it needs severe improvements. You have to block out times to be available for video chat sessions, something I can't do as my availability shifts so much. I got so many clients so quickly that I had to block out when I was accepting new clients because it was too much too quickly. In my experience the clients were for the most part unreliable. 2 responded daily and thoroughly while the rest would send one long winded text every 2 weeks or respond with 1 sentence vague answers. It's hard to give an accurate diagnosis for some of these people when they don't give you information. This job would be perfect for someone who can text all day and has a routine. I am not one of those people. Also I would say this platform is a good introduction to therapy for someone who is super hesitant.
Pros
Easy to get the job done- text therapy gives you the ability to thoroughly respond
Cons
Pay, time demand, client commitment, format, method, etc
I will update once I have worked with the company longer. I have only been with the company for a few weeks. But enjoy the text aspect of it and having the ability to think about my responses.
Pros
not sure
Cons
not sure
At the end of the day, Talkspace characterizes itself as a business place not a therapy practice. They see themselves as a marketplace to connect clients and therapists. My client's privacy was completely violated by them due to a fiduciary matter. It is difficult to wrap my head around the egregiousness of the privacy violation that resulted from Talkspace fees being contested and I can't supply any more details as I value confidentiality and privacy. I'm embarrased to have been involved with them at all.
Pros
Easy to get started
Cons
Unethical, low/confusing pay structure, unreasonable time demands
Flexibility in work schedule. Difficult platform and guidelines for clinicians. mental health services are primarily rendered through texting rather than telehealth.
It is with deep regret and sadness that we must now speak up publicly. We’ve already taken our grievances to you directly, but you offered scripted responses, retaliated by withholding client referrals, or ignored our concerns. We used to love contracting with Talkspace: Morale was high, community was cohesive, and there was a team of highly talented, passionate, and supportive staff that made Talkspace feel like an exciting and rewarding adventure in modern mental health treatment. In June 2019, however, you instituted the “reply by” button on the platform which enabled clients to demand up to three lengthy messages within restrictive time frames, overriding the former agreement we had with you for up to two asynchronous responses per day, depending on our schedules and the clients’ needs, which ensured appropriate boundaries and up to 50 minutes or more of therapy per week (just like face to face therapy). You decided to withhold fees pre-paid by clients for therapy if theses unreasonable deadlines are missed and withhold referrals from therapist who declined to take clients in these new plans. When you announced the addition of this “reply by” feature, therapists by the hundreds to thousands expressed discontent and concerns communally to you in our consultation platform on Slack or in private emails. We explained that your new feature raises issues around poor boundary modeling and distress intolerance for clients and created scheduling conflicts and burnout for clinicians. You refused to listen to us when we told you that this timed response feature is contraindicated - more...
Pros
work from home
Cons
too many to list but among them extreme low pay, extreme high expectations of therapist, etc
I started slow building clients. The training was a few weeks long and very thorough. You can set tour own hours and caseload. The standards are very high. You are a private practice and they get a fee. You get paid once a month. I have gotten between 500 and 1500 a month in bonuses so far. They pay for taking more clients. There is a huge need. You feel really good about helping people who typically would not see a therapist or can’t because of the pandemic. I make really good money. You figure out how to balance yourself time and it works well. Love it!!! I live in WA.
Pros
Bonuses. Pick your number of clients. Flexible hours, work remotely
Cons
If you are not good at managing your time it is not for you
I’ve been with Talkspace for a few years and the company seems to have been taken over by money-hungry sociopaths. How is it possible that now LICENSED therapists are paid pennies, sometimes nothing at all? As many others have said here already, they drastically increased their expectations of therapists and fees for clients, while insanely decreasing pay for therapists, to the point where it no longer makes sense to stay. It also has to be a major liability due to the disservice to clients. Nothing about this setup or philosophy even minimally values client care or fair working conditions for therapists. They’ve been sued before for unethical practices, and I’m sure they will be again, hopefully this time to put them out of business. I’m finishing up with my last clients and I’m out. Good riddance and shame on you, Talkspace.
Cons
Exciting news-Is how they often start their communications and in the process they will squeeze in ways to subtract your pay make things more complicated and seem to be focus more on their investors then in patient care quality. They especially benefit from inactive but paying patients who they’ll keep up to $400 a month from and then penalize you for them not engaging. They create complicated rules expectations for midnight response times one minute after your day off. You have lost your way please see a strong and candid therapist to set you straight.
Pros
Appreciation some of the clients give you and the changes that I can make with them
Cons
Decrease in pay increase and expectations non-communication from management
I am disgusted by the recent changes at TS. They charge the customers more and pay therapists less and less. I hope a class action suit is filed against them.
Pros
Cons
Too many
I have been with them since 2016 and it has changed drastically. They prioritize customer satisfaction and bottom line over the the care for their therapists. It’s sad, really.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
So many to list
I really enjoy working with Talk Space! As an experienced therapist, I get to use my skills in a unique way. My team is supportive and I have a variety of mentors I can access and get support from.
Pros
flexible, work any hours, control amount of clients available
Cons
fast work pace
I've been a therapist on Talkspace for about 4 years. During that time, there's been a lot of change, but I also recognize that I'm working in a startup and that's the nature of the startup culture. I love being part of an innovative company that's constantly changing and is really leading the way in the world of digital mental health. I have access to free clinical consultation services which is helpful with more difficult cases. I've also been really pleased by Talkspace's commitment to supporting frontline healthcare workers and individuals impacted by racial injustices through their donation of free therapy services.
Pros
ability to work your own hours, innovative technology, free training and opportunities for consultation
Cons
ongoing adjustments and changes as is typical in most startups
When I started at Talkspace 4 years ago, it was exciting and new. There was a lot of guidance and interaction from management and things were really positive Pay was even good in the past 2 years things have gone from bad to absolutely horrific. Communication decreased from management then eventually just stopped. The pay rate for qualified, trained therapists is abismal. The regulations they’ve put on how to respond to your clients is unrealistic Therapists are punished by taking away the ability to get new clients with no feedback as to why
Pros
Cons
Poor pay, poor management, not even close to real therapy for clients