Talkspace
Happiness rating is 41 out of 100

Talkspace Pay & Benefits reviews

Very easy and convenient but not compensated for experience level. Not much oversight which can be good but also leaves you to your own devices most of the time.
The pay is well below the average. They pay less that 1cent per word to you send to the client. You do have some freedom but are required to respond within a certain amount of time.
Pros
some freedom
Cons
poor pay
I reached out to Talkspace support on a variety of issues - from being sent clients even when my availability was turned off to poor client experiences. Their response was a "canned" one, that even when I asked it to be escalated was met with a similar "canned" response. There is a rating system that you as a therapist receive. However it is unclear if the client's rating is about you, their experience with Talkspace (previous therapists, working with support). Clients are also unaware of their plan's features (it's confusing even to me) and may expect video but only get messaging. It's unfortunate because this hostility at the process gets directed towards you as a therapist.
Pros
Cons
Compensation, support, platform
The biggest pro to being a Talkspace therapist is the ability to set your own hours. The compensation is pretty low compared to having your own private practice, but they do all billing, marketing, advertising, etc. plus you do not have to have anything other than an iPhone and wifi though a desktop or laptop computer helps. Basically they take the sales and business part of being in private practice which makes it all worth it to me-- I can truly focus on my clients' progress. I recommend this as a side hustle but not a full-time gig. Do not pursue this opportunity unless you are tech-savvy and willing to figure out policies and procedures on your own without a lot of quickly accessible help.
Pros
Work your own hours, easily gain clients
Cons
Policies change regularly, pay not amazing
require to work long hours. pay is low. but overall the job is okay.would not recommend if you have other alternatives. I would recommend for beginners
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
I do love my job and the flexibility TS offers. Management could be more personable to its providers though. Pay is decent but not plentiful and you need to TAKE YOUR OWN TAXES OUT. I wish I knew this or wish it were stressed for newbies like me!
Pros
Own hours
Cons
Managed care is involved now = tricky workflow
It is with deep regret and sadness that we must now speak up publicly. We’ve already taken our grievances to you directly, but you offered scripted responses, retaliated by withholding client referrals, or ignored our concerns. We used to love contracting with Talkspace: Morale was high, community was cohesive, and there was a team of highly talented, passionate, and supportive staff that made Talkspace feel like an exciting and rewarding adventure in modern mental health treatment. In June 2019, however, you instituted the “reply by” button on the platform which enabled clients to demand up to three lengthy messages within restrictive time frames, overriding the former agreement we had with you for up to two asynchronous responses per day, depending on our schedules and the clients’ needs, which ensured appropriate boundaries and up to 50 minutes or more of therapy per week (just like face to face therapy). You decided to withhold fees pre-paid by clients for therapy if theses unreasonable deadlines are missed and withhold referrals from therapist who declined to take clients in these new plans. When you announced the addition of this “reply by” feature, therapists by the hundreds to thousands expressed discontent and concerns communally to you in our consultation platform on Slack or in private emails. We explained that your new feature raises issues around poor boundary modeling and distress intolerance for clients and created scheduling conflicts and burnout for clinicians. You refused to listen to us when we told you that this timed response feature is contraindicated - more...
Pros
work from home
Cons
too many to list but among them extreme low pay, extreme high expectations of therapist, etc
I started slow building clients. The training was a few weeks long and very thorough. You can set tour own hours and caseload. The standards are very high. You are a private practice and they get a fee. You get paid once a month. I have gotten between 500 and 1500 a month in bonuses so far. They pay for taking more clients. There is a huge need. You feel really good about helping people who typically would not see a therapist or can’t because of the pandemic. I make really good money. You figure out how to balance yourself time and it works well. Love it!!! I live in WA.
Pros
Bonuses. Pick your number of clients. Flexible hours, work remotely
Cons
If you are not good at managing your time it is not for you
This position with Talkspace pays like a minimum wage job for a licensed professional and demands a full-time commitment. There is no room for growth and little creditable training. There are no benefits. If it weren’t for my ethical commitment to do no harm to the clients I’m currently with, I would quit.
This is a sad review for me to write. I have been with Talkspace for almost 4 years. When I first started I felt like I had joined a family. The atmosphere was supportive and, even though the compensation was not ideal, the flexibility and support made up for it. Over the past year there have been so many changes. The compensation has decreased substantially even though the cost of the plans for the clients has risen. One example of an instituted change is compensation based on word count. This leads to compensation based on quantity of words rather than quality of care which are definitely not synonymous. They also took away the use of the Slack platform which had been used for communication not only with management, but with other therapists as well. This left me as a therapist feeling isolated and tremendously unsupported and undervalued during a time of such rapid and unwelcome change. I do not recommend that anyone works for this organization, it used to be great, but not anymore. The only things keeping me as part of the organization are the relationships that I have built with my long-term clients.
Cons
not supportive for the providers, very low compensation
I worked for 2 years as an online therapist. over that time they adapted their pay structure several times, finding ways to deduct therapist pay. first it was penalizing therapist for "late" responses and ultimately penalizing therapist when clients don't engage at a specific level, deducting 85% of the pay! My last payment was about $2, for a month of engagement with a client. if you prefer working for free then this is the job for you. if you expect fair pay, look somewhere else.
Pros
work from home
Cons
pay is ridiculous
I've been a therapist on this platform for 3 years. It was great at first when they actually paid you. Now they barely pay you, and it's based on word count. If your clients don't type much, you don't make anything. It's 1000 words for $10, up to 7500 words for you and 7500 words for your client, so a total of $150. Most clients roll off after a month or so, so, their engagement benefits are useless. Don't waste your time. They make it impossible to leave and have unethical practices. This company is terrible. They no longer care about their therapists and want ALL THE PROFIT FOR THEMSELVES. Good luck finding any therapists to work for you in the future unless you change.
I have joined TalkSpace in 2018 and had great experience until the recent changes in Therapists' compensations with no transparency about the new payments plans. The new therapists payment plan is $10 for 1000 words monthly and does not roll over!! No changes in clients' charges but therapist are not paid fairly!!! I feel unappreciated for the effort I put and the purpose in serving my clients.
I started working with talkspace in 2017 and the first two years it was worth it. They compensated well, used slack to encourage therapists to connect with each other, and encouraged independence. In the past year they discontinued slack so therapists could no longer connect with each other. This isolation strategy appears to have been implemented once they included features like a reply by button, and reduced compensation and therapists started to group together in their protest. Most recently they’ve implemented an AI program that scans all client rooms and invades privacy as well as another strong pay decrease as they continue to increase prices for clients.
Unethical company All about the money stay far away. They kept demanding more work and paying less and less totally disgusted with talkspace!!!!!
I have been working with Talkspace for year. Once this company was amazing to their therapists, giving them the money they deserve while feeling included in a company that also values communication. In the last few months, Talkspace has changed their payouts, basically tell their therapists if they don't like it to leave. They do not offer any support. They contact you when a therapist gets a bad review to school you but never to say, "Good Job, as they once did." I have gone from making a salary I can life off to not being able to pay my rent this month. They no longer pay you for clients on your caseload that are not using the app but now take all the money for them even though that client is taking up space in our caseload. Money Hungry Talkspace, shame on you!
Cons of Working with Talkspace: 1) No flexibility in work schedule: The company recently started a new policy, where therapists have to respond to every client's messages within a certain strict timeframe. If a therapist replies outside of the allotted timeframe, her pay will be reduced immediately! - Related to this, therapists are now then required to respond to clients as much as 3 times a day. 2) Very low pay: They started a new policy in April of 2020, where therapists get compensated by the number of words they write. At the time of this writing, the compensation is $10 for 1,000 words that therapists exchange with their clients. If one gets a client who does not write very much, then the compensation would be drastically reduced due to the small number of total word counts exchanged between a therapist and the client. 3) Demoralizing work: Most of the clients will only purchase the services that come with only text messaging, meaning no live video sessions. How effective can therapy be when therapists and clients only "meet" and communicate via writing? - Talkspace will cite research on the effectiveness of Telehealth and Online therapy to persuade the potential clients and therapists that what Talkspace is selling, in terms of their services, is effective. However, let's not forget that almost all the research done in the field of telehealth therapy involves live, face-to-face, video chat with clients! Simply writing messages to one's clients has severe limitations and is probably not very effective! 4) Frequent changes in pay and work policy - more...
The therapists' pay is horrible, amounting often to minimum wage after having a doctorate. An insult to the profession. The only good thing is that it is fully remote. Seriously not worth it unless you have no other options. Talkspace therapists=desperate.
This job offers the ability to work from home and to set your own time limits of how many hours you want to work. The main down part of the job is that the salary is not equal to the amount of work required.
After almost three years it is hard to believe this is the same company, the very worst part is how they continue use to change requirements AND compensation almost exclusively to their benefit! Marketing provides a false sense of therapist availability and when expectations aren’t met clients leave. Initial subscription discounts are so deep people very typically can not afford a second month. That’s comparable to 4 face to face sessions...I can’t help people change their lives in 4 sessions. There is NO room for advance, cannot even imagine why people would say that, there is NO management just directives from on high and out of the blue, therapists are NOT valued. The only job culture left after they cancelled slack is a FB group and most are there (justifiably) to complain. There is some flexibility for travel etc but they seem to be so short of therapists in my states of license that I can’t turn on availability without getting 2-3 clients in 24 hours....tooooo much work for the low pay! They treat you like an employee but we are ALL contractors!
Pros
It used to be ok...
Cons
It’s getting worse and worse by the week!
When I first started with talkspace I loved it. I had flexibility, no pressure and really enjoyed working with my clients. We responded to our clients twice a day with a meaningful response. As the company grew, they started engaging in some really unfair practices toward us therapists. They completely changed the structure of the program and the way it worked, without being transparent with us providers. The new structure completely changed the way we were expected to work on the platform, we suddenly had unrealistic deadlines and word limits and our pay was penalized if we did not meet them. We were forced to start counting words and making sure to respond by a deadline during our other jobs, really reducing the quality of our work with clients. Talkspace proclaimed they were providing us a 15% pay increase but failed to mention we were expected to do twice the work under these new constraints ( the new time deadlines now required us to respond to our clients three times a day, which would have been fine except talkspace NEVER told us that). We had to find out on our own after they upgraded the platform. Many of us contract with talkspace on the side of a full time job (what they pay is not something you could support yourself on full time if it’s your only job) and the new expectations to respond by a certain time are just not attainable. When you reach out for suggestions, they are not helpful and basically tell you to leave your clients and move on. I stay because I feel that is unfair to do to clients I have been treating for over a year. Also, they claim the platform - more...
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Lots of pressure, threats of penalized compensation