Tallahassee Community College Employee Reviews

Started out good - disappointing twist of events
Associate Professor - Humanities (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 16, 2019
Arrived eight years ago and the college was amazing - winning awards, new President. But terribly-researched bad legislation and lack of funding have really changed the college and now it's not really a good place to work. Very few opportunities. Enrollment way down. Huge turnover. No raises in seven years. No overloads. New union with a contract very horribly negotiated that is very imbalanced. I'm saddened and don't want others to experience this. No respect for the transfer culture to FAMU and FSU and UF. Outdated buildings, little/no upgraded tech; many budget miscalcs and mis-spends.
Pros
pleasant campus; pretty city
Cons
no raises; little paths to transfer or move up; high crime in the city
Fun, Relaxed and Semi Friendly Environment
Information Technology Support Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLFebruary 1, 2018
Good workplace to work but the Compensation for your experience and technical capabilities is not as much a good match. Good Benefits, paid Time off around holidays. Can get stressful around beginning of the year. No option for career advancement, Currently working here for 5 years, 2 raises in those years. And no chance at just bumping up to the next Tier or Job for advancement without a interview and many others at the same time.
Pros
Benifits, Time off, Relaxed.
Cons
Lack of advancement, raises. pay.
great place to work
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLApril 17, 2018
Its a great place to work. You get great vacation time, benefits that are paid 100 percent buy the College, and be able to advance pretty well. It can be hard dealing with students all day but it is rewarding.
It's a great place to work if you dont have dependents
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FL 32308October 6, 2017
I liked TCC overall. I just wouldn't recommend working here if you have dependents that you would need benefits for. They offer 100% health insurance for employees, BUT the entire cost of the dependents care is left to the employee. It would be okay if they salaries offset the costs but $600 for one dependent is steep at the salaries they offer. They also promote tuition reimbursement for employees and free classes on campus but there are major limitations on both and the waitlist is so long for tuition reimbursement that its almost impossible to claim it as a benefit. The culture is great and management seems to really care about their employees but the chain of command is off.
Pros
Good work/life balance. Great culture and management.
Cons
Mediocre Benefits and missleading of true benefits.
Very Poor Management
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 9, 2018
I was hired in Workforce Development at TCC as an administrative assistant and worked there from July to September. Working at TCC was very difficult as my manager very frequently berated and swore at me, and even repeatedly criticized my appearance. I have heard from others that other departments at TCC are a joy to work in, just don't trust workforce development. They had a high turnover rate and the building was disgusting -- infested with roaches.
Pros
good pay
Cons
poor management, dirty
Fun, productive workplace.
Mentor for Eagle Connections (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 7, 2018
Management fluctuated. Tasks were easy day-to-day, coworkers got along well. Doing bare minimum will get you along, but going above what's expected will excel you. Opportunities to work in other departments are given.
Pros
Flexible hours
Excellent Place to Work
Staff Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 14, 2017
Typical Day at Work:
Serving students through job fairs, resume assistant, internships, choosing a major, job search, financial literacy and career development. Also, helping vendors, making deposits, keeping spreadsheets, answering phones assisting as a back up to my director.

Learned:
I love to learn and improve every day. I have learned to be more effective at problem solving and not complaining while working harder a team member.

Workplace Culture:
Diverse, intelligent, hardworking, warm and inviting

Hardest Part of Job:
When a student is have a hard time finding work is the hardest part of my job. Sometimes it is because they do not want to change their attitudes and others times it is that they merely cannot find work in their field of study.

Enjoyable Part of the Job:
I love helping others to succeed! I work very hard at it!
I love it when a students lights come on, and they have that moment when they can see their vision and make goals on what they need to do to reach their greatest potential.
Also, I really love teaching financial literacy and working with numbers.
Benefits
Cons
Non
Students were hardworking and a joy to teach.
Adjunct faculty (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 13, 2017
Students responded well to the creative process which I found inspirational for my own work. An example is the day I served hot beignets and had the class write food critique essays. Watching all of them improve as the year progressed felt rewarding. The culture of my workplace was warm and supportive especially as I was a novice in the English department. The nature of grading essays is time consuming, but like the students I improved with time.
Pros
Motivated students
Cons
few if any benefits for part time faculty
Productive and relaxed environment
History Archive Collection Intern (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 13, 2018
I have always been interested in the work that takes place behind the scenes at archives and museums and this internship gave me a lot of insight. I received just enough instruction to work independently but still become knowledgeable about the field. I was even able to curate my own collection.
easy college job working at bookstore
Book Salesman (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 7, 2018
Worked as a textbook salesman for the rush before the start of the Spring semester. It was a temp position due to only being needed at the start of classes, but they do pick hard workers that are willing to stay and work year round. The hours are almost always part-time, with it being fast-paced when going back to school and then dead the rest of the year.
Pros
easy/discount on store stuff
Cons
temporary position
Tcc
College Registrar and Director-Adm & Records (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 22, 2018
There really is no typical day at TCC, which is one of the things I love about it! The hardest part of the cultural of TCC is typical of the culture of higher education - things are constantly changing. The mos enjoyable part of the job is the ability to assist students in meeting their educational goals.
Great Team
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 26, 2018
I enjoy working with the people in my department. Working with the students has been rewarding. There are many opportunities available to grow professionally through professional development and staff support.
Stressful job environment
Assistant Women's Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 14, 2018
I enjoyed my job there, but there were so many things going on. The working environment is not suitable for someone trying to be their best. There was always something immature going on.
Pros
Working with Students
Cons
Health care sketchy
I need to help family with finances by finding employment
College Student (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 1, 2012
Most of my jobs were to work in inclement weather, holidays, and some weekends. I drove over the road in the Southeast with MBM for Chick-Fil-A restaurants. I was part of management with Barbers dairy which I supervised 12 employees. The hardest part of all the jobs were loading and unloading the trucks besides no touch freight. The most enjoyable times I had working with driving jobs was the independence of being alone, being responsible, and as always drive with all the safety precautions because of the crazy drivers who do not need a driver's license.
Pros
good benefits and bonus's
Cons
no holiday time
Definitely worth the scholarship that came with
Connect2Complete Peer Leader/Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 12, 2016
The management was good, the program was well-run, and the benefits (a scholarship) were definitely worth the volunteer hours put in. I learned how to become a better leader and how to work with other students and peer leaders. The hardest part of the job was grasping the concept that I had to volunteer and take an extra class without receiving credit for it, but I did get my classes paid for. The most enjoyable part were the perks: first to apply for classes, classes paid for
Pros
paid for classes
Cons
a lot of pressure for a student fresh out of high school
excellence
Clinical Nurse Educator (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 14, 2018
I went to school at Tallahassee Community College and have the experience to teach new nursing students. I enjoy teaching at this school, as an employer TCC is great.
Its ok
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 7, 2018
It's very fast paced and competive i love the job but it's getting repetitive and I'm searching for something better. I recommend this job to a young person
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Part time
Work Study Student
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMay 6, 2018
It was an okay place to work. I mainly did it for the benefit of receiving a little money while going to school. I would recommend it, but the department that I worked for was so busy that I did have to work a little longer or was required to work a little more than students in other departments. I am not complaining because it did benefit me to be able to get a job over the summer as a student working as a teacher aid because the instructors were able to see my work ethics.
Great place to work!
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJuly 28, 2017
Most tasks were routine. Small changes occurred with faculty or class schedules allowing tasks to be completed ahead of schedule. Very friendly environment. Great benefits and plenty of time off to spend with family.
Pros
Able to take 6 semester hours of classes for free
Cons
Multiple tasks with short deadlines.
Productive and fun workplace with very flexible hours
Information Technology / Intern (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee,FlaJune 26, 2012
A typical day at work is productive and fun. There is a lot I have learned working here.
The management is great to get along with, as well as my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is not having enough hours, While most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know everyone.
Pros
flexible hours, nice people, good salary
Cons
job unstability