Talus Payments Employee Reviews

Featured review
Talus Payments selected this as a representative review
Great. Opportunities for a person that is willing to work hard or learn to work smarter.
Independent Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 14, 2018
Pros:
This is an amazing job for somebody that is self-motivated and doesn’t need someone standing over their shoulder. That is the kind of management style that I thrive in! Don’t get me wrong, corporate provides a great deal of support if or when you need it.

Aside from them setting appointments for you, you do have an extreme amount of flexibility in your schedule. Like any other sales job, you get what you put into it . You don’t have to worry about where you’re going to get your leads from that often. For the most part those are provided. However, any seasoned sales person will tell you that Self Gens are always far more valuable, especially monetarily. Talus Payments provides you with the most advanced forms of tools & devices in order to help sell your clients. As well as paper correspondence either to assist in the sale &/or literature to leave with customer

Cons:
In all honesty, the only con that I have experienced while working for Talus Payments is just the lack of ability to meet corporate &/or other sales associates face-to-face. So not the same type of Camaraderie you may have when seeing co-workers face to face everyday, even if just for 20 minutes.

But as stated previously you are able to get whatever level of supervision &/or however much assistance as you need to be successful at Talus Payments.
Pros
Great support, flexibility, amazing monetary pay & bonuses
Cons
Lack of camaraderie amongst people you see on a day to day basis
They tell you enough about the business to embarrass yourself in the field with decision makers.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 4, 2018
The company provides you with a tablet that has a very vague overview of the product of the company that mostly irritates your prospect more than it excites your prospects about doing business with you. When you do get your leads here was my experience of working them daily for several months before realizing it would not get better. First Talus has a bad reputation in the industry so 70% of my appointments were started trying to overcome reputation issues instead of talking merchant services. Most customers had read online reviews about Talus on a website called Merchant Maverick and other negative sites and it was a losing battle, 20% simply told the telemarketer not to send a salesperson and they did anyway, and 10% were no shows. On the surface company supplied leads sounded great, in the end they were a waste of time and gas.
Pros
You get an entry level education about how to sell merchant services.
Cons
Do not start this business without money in the bank, If you need immediate income this job is not for you, The job has a 60 to 90 day learning curve, research for other companies that might offer you a small salary to help you learn the business
Not in good conscience can I sell this product
Independent Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  TexasNovember 2, 2018
Well, I came on as an ISA believing I was selling a useful product to small biz owners. After working for a week I decided to do some research to understand my product better. Well I found out that Talus has a horrible reputation, has changed its name many times to avoid the continuing problems with the sales practices, and they lock biz owners into ridiculously long contracts on page nine item 12 of the terms and conditions (3 years with 2 year auto renewals). The management wouldn't agree nor disagree when asked directly. Obfuscation is the word of the day here. The agents are only trained to get folks on the phone with Corporate and let them do the close. The terms and conditions is 24 pages long surprisingly they want you to sign people up on the spot without having them review it. They don't say this of course it's just not stressed to explain the intricate details of what is being sold. I'm not sure how they get the leads but none of my appointments knew I was coming nor did they want to hear my pitch. Many will say if you are not a salesman don't apply, but the truth is if you have a shred of decency you can't push these products on unsuspecting small business owners which seem to be the target demographic (at least in my sales area). I answered that I do not approve of the CEO because any company running operations in this manner must be aware of what is going on and by choice or through negligence must be held accountable.
Pros
Independence
Cons
just about everything else
Horrible!!
Representative (Former Employee) –  Sherman txNovember 2, 2018
This job is absolutly horrible. The managers landi and aroura was the absolute worse. And thye barely even like u to get off the phones just to go to the bathroom or to take a personal call from ur kids school or dr or any kind of emergency! But let thier "favorites" roam free and do what they want. They make u make cold calls to a list they buy and most the time ur getting hung up on or cussed out all day! Do not apply to this job unless ur dont like ur mental stability! Stay away! Not even work 20 an hour much less 13!
Pros
Absoluty nothing
Reliable Worker Needed (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 26, 2018
We're productive and creative,when you work in the company ,you will enjoy your stay and pay because we understand employers 100% and we are ready to satisfy you as well if you can give us your best in working with us.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
You lose more money than you gain while working here
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Southeast USASeptember 29, 2018
If you get the type of sales manager that I did, he or she genuinely tries. It's not his or her fault that this probably won't work out for you. It's the business model. You will lose more money in terms of gas, mileage, printing your own business materials, etc., than what you get out of it... unless you are lucky or you live in a big metro area. If you live away from a larger population, don't bother. Over 80% of your "appointments" will be in businesses that are run out of the person's home, and either they won't even be there, or they already told the solicitor over the phone that they weren't interested, but the solicitor sets the appointment for you anyway, causing you to have to come face to face with a business owner that not only doesn't want your services, but is now angry because they told the company not to send you out for an appointment, but they do so anyway! In the three weeks that I worked there, I was able to close on two sales. However, because of the type of flaky home-run businesses that they often send you to, I wasn't ever able to get my commission from either of those sales because the clients wouldn't answer the phone or come to the door (after receiving their equipment), so that I could help them through their activations and then get my commission. I lost money by working here for the few weeks that I did!

None of this is the fault of your sales manager if you do end up getting hired here. They really do try their best to help make it work for you. In the end, they are earning a commission from your sales too! Ultimately, it is the business
  more... model that sets you up for failure. My advice is, before you apply, do a simple Google search of Talus Payments. Look them up on the Better Business Bureau website. They have an A- rating, but look beyond that into the customer complaints that have been filed. I'm not going to throw any company under the bus. Read the information that's out there and available to you BEFORE you agree to work for Talus, and make your own informed decision.  less
Pros
management tries to guide you, management is flexible with your personal schedule
Cons
dead-end job, sales don't follow through, lose more money than you earn
Great place to work, but must be self motivated
Independent Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Boone, NCSeptember 28, 2018
Talus is a great company to work for, but I'm not going to lie you have to work hard, be organized, and be PATIENT! Selling merchant services isn't easy, but because many businesses have been burned so many times. You need to sometimes prove that you and the company are truly trying to help them - be honest, it's not hard.

Your manager is your partner, as long as you communicate it'll be beneficial to you. Any time I have questions or need help he follows through.

We also have conference call which can be very helpful. Don't be afraid to ask questions, if it's going to help your performance and earn you more money it's worth it!

The company does set up appointments for you, it is true, some are nowhere to be found, but you really want to create your own clientele. You do travel quite a bit, but I personally enjoy it - keep your gas and food receipts for your taxes!

I'm still new, but like any job you learn more with time.

I really enjoy knowing that I am helping people save money!
Pros
Self generated bonuses and monthly bonuses if you meet your quota
Cons
No benefits and sometimes you need to remind them to get paid for you self generated clients
I love my job sent the management was awful
Appointment cordnator (Current Employee) –  Sherman, TXAugust 20, 2018
I really enjoyed my job there I was there for quite a long time my manager on the floor was great my coworkers we’re great .compensation of work. But it was the home office management that was awful ruthless ,she didn’t like nobody she was ruthless for no reason ,cutThroat they turned there back on you
Pros
Read lunches Incentive
Cons
Upper management
Do not take this job!! Its a JOKE
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  MichiganAugust 13, 2018
So reading the description about the job sounds great, commissions daily (nope) bonuses paid monthly (nope) sounds awesome right? But what they don't tell you is you don't get paid until you do an application with a customer they received their device and they have to activate it or you will not get paid. They also don't tell you that you have to print off terms and conditions 24 pages in just one. Paper applications and flyers. They also want you to lie to the customer and just tell them it's just the application you're not locked into a contract when in reality you're locking them into a contract because they're signing it. Along with not telling them all of the fees involved. They will also screw you over on your monthly bonus more than once have I lost mine because they failed to tell you something more. You are considered a 1099 which is self-employed but yet they want you to work 9 to 4??!! I'm sorry but I'm not working 9 to 4 on your watch if I'm self-employed you're not paying me hourly or even paying for my gas. Job says 20 miles from zip code but that's another lie they try to get me to drive over 3 hours for an appointment. They also make appointments you show up to and the people have no idea they had one or they send you somewhere that doesn't even exist. I would never recommend working for Talus, I wish someone would have told me everything before I started. No benefits no paid time off. And your manager will call you a hundred times a day blowing up your phone, that you're paying for.
Management staff,
Marketing Rep/ Appointment Setter (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 12, 2018
The management staff at Talus payments were unprofessional. When it came time for management reviews, Andy was very poor in giving you information that you could benefit from. The equipment malfunctioned daily, which prohibited you from performing your duties. The equipment was also outdated, as well as database for contacts. Businesses were often shutdown or the owner was deceased. Additionally, staff was not on one accord with management. Management would give you directions while investment staff would give you completely different information. This company does not give their employees the respect they deserve. This is not a stable environment nor will you want to work in this type of environment.
Pros
The health benefits
Unless u into sales stay away
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherman, TXAugust 2, 2018
I can only tolerate this job for a week the training is awesome the lady who trained us was really nice she made it seem like it was going to be an awesome job but as soon as you get out there on the sales floor unless you're really into sales and talking people into buying stuff this is not a job for you.
And they must have went up in the pay because when I started it was only $10 an hour so I guess that's a good thing but unless you're willing to sit there and be hung up on cussed at it's just not worth it.
Pros
Music
Cons
Pay, no benefits
Horrible
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  MarylandJuly 27, 2018
They’ll tell you to stay at your location until they send you the next appointment, three hours later you haven’t received anything and the manager won’t answer your calls.
Pros
Cons
Lack of communication and appointments
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Yakima, WAJuly 19, 2018
Good leadership and customer service
Management is especially dreadful
Pay is good
Flexible hours
Good drive radius
Reimbursement of gas and travel
Customer service is amazing help
A Huge Disappointment and a waste of time and money
Independent Agent (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJuly 7, 2018
My first day on the job was terrible, but I was determined to make it work so I thought it was probably just bad luck. I could not have been more wrong. I stayed with the company for about a month and that month was actually miserable . Not only did I not get paid for two of the deals that I made, I also drove over 2000 miles in that short amount of time. I beg of you don’t put yourself through this it’s not worth the constant rejection and terrible compensation.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
No benefits, very hard to get compensated for time, spend more than you make, you have to provide free customer service, terrible appointment setting
Its a job not career.
Talent Acquisition Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 2, 2018
I currently don't see any career advancement. That is why I am seeking employment at a different organization where my values, ethics, would be more appreciative.
Pros
401k just offered
Cons
no career advancement
Dissappointing
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 28, 2018
Within the time-span of being employed by and or with Talus Payments, there was one plus side to the overall time altogether. That being, having actually managed to pull off getting one committed sale fall through, with that being said after the committed sale follows shortly followed ex. (committed customer having to text and or call more than once to inform me of not being able to get in touch with customer service or my personal corporate manager due to having technical difficulties with the products themselves and setting them up, and then not shortly afterwards having issues with adjusting entered tips from the previous day as well). Not to mention, being in front of a potential sale and not being able to reach and or get in contact with corporate manager whether that's no communication within a few important much needed minutes or at all for that matter, being sent to appointments thus being someone's house and them being unaware what-so-ever and questioning your whereabouts on their property period... those are just a few cons to working and being employed by Talus Payments.
Just Ok
Manager - Dialer Administration (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 12, 2018
Very low budget company. Improvement is needed in their technology and management was very disjointed. It was just ok working there. I would recommend if you are just getting started and want to get your feet wet.
Productive work place
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 27, 2018
A typical work day consists of meeting with appointments set up by Talus. Usually, the majority of these meeting were helpful and a few not worth meeting with potential merchant. When I was not meeting with appointments, I usually canvassed the area. When I had road blocks with merchant, I was able to get hold of manager to help guide me through the road blocks.
Pros
Great commjunication with management. Easy to work with management.
Cons
No cons.
Vague sales process and poor internal philosophy
independent sales (Former Employee) –  PennsyvaniaMarch 10, 2018
Talus payment has this policy where you can not talk about rates with the customer even though it is one of the most important things to the customer. Instead of having competitive rates to offer, the sales rep is forced to find out what they are already paying and is told to take a picture of their current statement and send it to management. Sales reps are kept in the dark about actual rates and management is very vague about detailed specifics. They hinder the sales rep and does not give you the ability to do your job efficiently and honestly. My assigned manager was very dismissive of my questions and never answered my questions. It was like talking to a stereotypical car salesman from 30 years ago. Basically all your job consists of is getting the manager on the phone with the customer. When a customer has a question there should be an answer.

I was not even able to get a detailed breakdown of the products that come with the service. How can I do my job if I do not have information of service and products. They target small business where we all know that the budget gets tight and will attempt to take advantage of them through misinformation and ambiguity. If this is not the case for the company I would fire that manager immediately and restructure.
Pros
company tablet
Cons
poor management, lack of information, philosophy, poor leads, lack of product information, lack of training
Solid Team Work with your supervisor
Independent Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh Pennsylvania areaMarch 8, 2018
This is a contracted position and you get to work with talented people who are dedicated to provide top of the line service to customers at the lowest possible rate.
Pros
Solid management
Cons
No benefits
Good incentives
MARKETING REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  sherman, txMarch 8, 2018
Not very understanding for people who have small children. They only allow 4 late arrivals or early departures in a year, and if you have an emergency or in my case, have to leave to take your child to the doctor, they're not very understanding

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Talus Payments. Our community is ready to answer.