Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo Employee Reviews

It's A Zoo
Accounts Payable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 15, 2018
It's A Zoo with High Rates of Turns Over in Staff. The work environment is low due to not enough office spaces for the Administration and Accounting Staff. Share spaces are tight without privacy while on the phone with sensitive issues.
Pros
They have High Technologies and Up to Date computers.
Cons
Work volume are high with no time for breaks with high demand to have all works done on time.
Environmental workplace
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 7, 2017
I loved the connecting people with the living earth while employed here. There is no money to be made in a non profit. There was a new CEO the last two years I was there and I was not crazy about the direction he was going (more about money, and less about the people and animals).
Pros
Animals
Cons
poor pay and benefits
Tlpz
Retail Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 5, 2017
A wonderful place, with a positive environment. A great opportunity for those starting out, or seeking something in their free time. Can be hectic at times, but ultimately fun.
Just a number, not a person
Ride Operator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 8, 2017
They treated everyone like a number after my old manager left. And when i became pregnant and had minor restrictions, they ignored them. They also overwork everyone including breakers. And don't always give everyone adequate breaks to keep from overheating.
Pros
Free admission and attraction share
Cons
Overworked
Nowhere to go
Animal Care (Current Employee) –  AnimalJuly 13, 2017
This facility is very limiting for anyone interested in advancing in their field. Management is poorly structured and put their personal interests above the facility's. Management is mostly made up of bosses instead of leaders lending to a stressful work environment with no real direction.
Pros
Vacation time, health, vision, and life insurance
Cons
No way to advance
Productive and fun place to gain experience and knowledge
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 2, 2017
I gained so many skills through Tampa Lowry Park Zoo and I hope to grow many more in the future. Working is very proactive which I enjoy, there is always something new to learn and its always exciting to be working with a company that is all for the environment , wildlife, and education.
Pros
discounts and passes
Cons
Full time positions
Good People, Bad Pay
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 27, 2017
Terrible pay, even when they gave out raises. Management style is very hands off and lazy. Communication is terrible, especially when coordination between departments is required. Good job security if you do even just a half decent job.
My Zoo experience
Gift Shop Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 20, 2017
Met a lot of nice people...hands on with the animals...food there is awful, learned a lot, gained alto of experience. Got a lot of laughs had employee. Pot lucks
Pros
Bonuses, always gave away free tickets to local events
Cons
Poor management
it's ok to work there. it's not a place where u can advance
park quality representative (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 22, 2017
It can be stressful at times but it's not a hard job. It's just the people that you deal with. It's really hot in the summer time and don't have fans for the guest or employees. U get great benefits such as discounts or free admission to other parks and zoos. They should treat and appreciate their employees more. It's not a good place to work if you're looking to advance fast. They hardly ever give out raises.
Pros
discounts on other parks and hotels
Cons
needs to improve break areas and food prices are too high
flexible hours
Rides Operator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 29, 2017
Terrible management, it took three years to get a raise. Not professionals, schedules come out a day before it is needed. The only good thing is the flexibility with a school schedule.
Very skeptical place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 1, 2017
Got hired to work at the park almost a month ago and still haven't started yet and when call to ask for a manger for start date they just take my name and number i never get a call back horrible management
Low wages/no advancement
Management (Former Employee) –  Various locationsAugust 13, 2016
I loved my 4 years at the zoo but it became apparent that upper management takes advantage of loyalty and hard work. I never got a raise or any type of bonus despite raising large amounts of monetary donations. I couldn't afford to stay there. I miss the great employees, and all the exceptional animals. I learned a ton about the collection from the dedicated (and under paid) zookeepers. I miss it every day but I have kids to feed.
Pros
Animal experiences and education
Cons
Low wages, no advancement, and making sometimes rash changes without warning.
Great Place to Work While in School
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 2, 2016
Typical day for an admissions representative involves selling tickets, promoting memberships, and managing other various tasks at the front gate. Occasionally, you will be required to work outside positions such as the petting zoo, wallaby, access (scanning guest's tickets when they enter), and exit gate. Prior management was good, but since has been replaced with all new management. New management is alright, not as good as the old managers. The co-workers make coming to work worth it. You will often be required to work doubles during events, so you'll be spending a lot of time with your co-workers. Everyone I've met I've gotten along with really well and it they have become my zoo family. While the work is generally a no-brainer, the most difficult aspect of this position is the guests. Expect to deal with upset guests and complaints on a daily basis, as they are generally directed to an admissions representative when they are upset. Overall, good occupation to have while attending school. Good hours, but pay is low. Would not advise for anyone looking for a serious job or to advance into upper position. Upper management hardly ever leaves, so spots rarely open up.
Pros
Great co-workers, work is fairly easy
Cons
Long hours, low pay ($8.29), not much room for advancement
Fun workplace, interactive
Educational Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 29, 2016
I enjoyed working for Lowry park zoo, everyone was so welcoming and willing to help. The weather was something you had to always be prepared for, it was also unpredictable, I had to bring rain boots a couple of times. You must have a lot of energy to be able to stay on your feet for 8+ hours a day, you are constantly doing something so you're never bored.
Pros
30 minute paid break
Cons
the weather conditions
Loved the job
Contemporary Marketing Team (Internship) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 13, 2015
This company was so much fun to work with. I enjoyed every moment of it until my management team left. Once my management left and the new ones came in I realized this is not where I wanted to work anymore.
Fast paced and fun workplace
Ride Operator/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FlJuly 21, 2015
Busy work days with constant movement
Great management team
Fun and energetic co-workers
Hardest part is dealing with upset guest
Most enjoyable part was helping guest and their children to have to best experience while at the zoo
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
Outside all day dealing with typical Florida weather
Horrible place to work
Ride Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 16, 2015
The place is down hill big time. Maintenance can't fix anything because the zoo is broke. There is 0 structure or communication to the management and 99% of the time the fail to actually pass things down to the works. You have to basically beg for permission to touch anything if it has to do with the animals. You get a minimum of 50 questions if you ever needed to call off for any reason even if it was 1 time in 7 months. I wouldn't even put this place on a resume in the future because you don't actually do any work.
Pros
Cons
no breaks, short lunch, long hours, lack of pay, no management, no money to work with
Toxic environment
Gate Attendant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 11, 2015
I would not recommend this place. They have no people skills and don't plan on hiring from within when new positions open up. They change their policies on the fly without telling you. If you do not suck up, you won't get anywhere.
Pros
Zoo membership
Cons
no breaks, no benefits, no full time, no advancement, toxic management
Starter Zoo
Education Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 22, 2015
This is the perfect place if you want to start out at an AZA facility. That being said it's only good for 3 years max. Management at the zoo walks over the keepers and teachers doing the work. Many of the higher ups don't have qualifications which shows in their interactions with employees, yet these managers jobs are concrete until they are willing to retire which leaves very little room to move up.
Pros
AZA facility.
Cons
No breaks, low pay, crazy hours
Fun work place, great managers.
GIFT SHOP SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  TampaOctober 5, 2014
Handle transactions, run register, assist guests and answer guest inquiries, answer and transmit phone and radio calls, inform guests about zoo events or activities, housekeeping duties for the shop, sell animal food and inform guests how to feed animals correctly, educate guests about animals at the zoo and also inform guests about the zoo’s manatee hospital, assist other staff members with inquiries as well as showing staff members how to do new paperwork and procedures