Tampa Bay Times
Happiness rating is 61 out of 100

Tampa Bay Times Employee Reviews

United States134 reviews

Time flies at the times. The job is too easy.

Short term seasonal assignment. It was just ok enough that if the opportunity presented itself again, it fit into my schedule and I needed the money I'd do it again.

Pros

Easy work

Cons

Low pay

Pick and choose who makes good money and bonuses

Would not recommend not professional bosses are races pay is terrible no time off. Get work vehicles so employees don’t need to use their own. Stop allowing children under sixteen to stop entering the warehouse

Pros

You’re independent

Cons

Everything else

Tampa Bay Times insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

workplace

You show up 365 days a year regardless of health and weather you do the same over and over again everyday its hot in the warehouse managemeant does what it needs and leaves the building even if you have questions Charge you $1 if you miss a house compared to the 10 cents you make to deliver it

Stressful Place To Work

Wouldn’t Recommend This Job To Anyone. You Get No Days Off And Management Takes Advantage Of You. Pay Is Pretty Decent. You Also Put A Lot Of Miles On Your Car

An absolute bad company to work for!!!

I have been with the company for almost 3 and a half years, former manager, then now as an Independent Contractor, it started great, then COVID hit, and went to two days a week. Which was no big deal, my issue with the company is there is absolutely no management going on. They have one who does what they want and another who says they will do one thing and take care of you, and don’t. They ask people to help and when they ask for help they either forget about you, go home, or leave you to fend for yourself. And when you give a notice they wait till the last minute to see if you can help them out, and you ask if they can help you out after your notice, they consider it “black mailing”. When in reality you want me to scratch your back, but won’t scratch yours. Do not work for the one in West Tampa, poor management.

Pros

Cons

Take advantage of you helping

Laid off due to Covid 19

I was brought on in 2015 as a Product Coordinator and advanced quickly to Field Manager. My first Zone Manager was instrumental in my advancements and raises. However, once he left the DC, management went downhill in too many ways to list. Suffice to say, management didn't provide any support to team members, and assigned pretty much all duties(including some of his) to us. Prior to my auto accident in 2019, I was working 7 days a week. In 2020, we had to take a salary cut. Then the paper went to delivering only 2 days a week, which not only affected the laid-off employees, but also negatively affected the contractors, some of who depended on delivering the paper as their sole source of income.

Pros

Quick advancement for hard workers

Cons

Everything else

Nothing to say

No comment really it was a good place to work I was only there temporarily nice people, nice office good schedule that is all I have to say nothing else

Good Bang for your Buck!

Couple routes and inserting a couple routes Is around $300 for 2 days work.You are your own boss. 1099. Each route is about $100 a week. Typically 200 papers Wednesday and Sunday.

Pros

2 days, short shifts.

Cons

Tied to route

self dependant no one to babysit (covering for others)

arrive at the company wait for product assemble the prduct and go deliver it. Hardest part is the time critical. the enjoyable part is you can meet other people and maybe make friends or contacts.

Pros

chance to make a decent living

Cons

healthcare

Great Company, nice people, very busy at times

Co-workers were very smart and friendly. Management was helpful. Fast paced work environment. Hours were long. Projects were exciting and challenging. Nice work environment considering how bad the newspaper industry is in these days.

Pros

Best place to work in the bay area if you want work for a newspaper

Cons

Newspaper industry in a tailspin. Not a bright future in the industry

Good Job

Wouldn’t trade it for world. Needs to have more benefits and days offs for employees though. You get flexibility in schedule and it’s fast paced. Especially on Sunday.

Used to be a great company

This used to be a great company to work for. But it's been getting progressively worse over the past 10 years. Lousy benefits and pay. No job security as layoffs are always looming. Poor business sense at the top. However, co-workers and the mission are great. May be good start for an aspiring journalist to get some experience, but you won't want to stay long.

Pros

Great co-workers

Cons

Lousy benefits and pay; no job security.

It was a great place to work.

My position was eliminated on April 4, 2020 due to COVID-19. I enjoyed working for The Times for more than 32 years. In the beginning benefits were superb. I don't think any other company could touch it.

'Okay' company in a struggling industry

The Times is in the difficult position of trying to succeed in newspaper publishing - a dying industry - while being an independently-owned paper. To be frank, they're not doing well. They recently cut all employees' pay by 10% because we were not meeting our print advertising goals (thankfully this was only temporary, but it doesn't bode well for the future of this company). Speaking of print, this is exactly the company's problem: they've focused so much on print that they are lagging behind on the digital front. Top executives mean well and want the company to succeed, but most of them are not equipped to lead the company in this digital world. The company itself is okay to work for - I've learned a lot while working here. I like and respect my management team and my colleagues. Not a lot of young people work here, and it's likely due to the fact that there doesn't seem to be many opportunities to advance. Furthermore, as far as I've been told, no employees have received raises in several years (which I imagine would discourage young people from staying with the company for very long). In sum, the Times is filled with great, talented people, but mostly due to problems with the industry, the business is not doing well. I wouldn't recommend working here for a long period of time if you're looking to move up in your career.

Pros

Decent managers, hardworking employees, calm work environment

Cons

No raises, no opportunities to advance

I love this job

This a very good job wish i would not have moved when i did. I had a really good experience at this job it was the best job and my very first job i ever had

Positive, challenging, and exciting

Excellent overall Work easy and competitive Low pay Work 7 Day wkly No days off Customer service orientated. Organizational skills are a plus as it makes your job easier and faster when out on the route.

Exciting and unpredictable workplace

While at the Tampa Bay Times as a journalist, some days were spent in the office and some were spent working in the field. In the office, it was a vibrant environment with news changing every day. It was a fun and professional staff willing to help at all times. In order to do the job successfully, it required organizational skills and the ability to adjust when warranted. Personally, I was able to cover a myriad of subjects, which kept the job interesting.

Pros

A vibrant workplace in downtown St. Petersburg

Cons

Long hours and weekends at times

This company offers many different types of jobs

This company offers many different types of jobs for many different types of employees. Jobs start at manual labor from Packaging department to writers, IT professional, managers, Editors and HR personnel. Something for everyone look and see what might be available for you.

was a great company

when I worked there. But times have certainly changed from what I hear. At the time compensation and commission was fair. Benefits were great. management was lovely.

Fun productive work place

I had a very enjoyable time working here for the last 7 years. Like any company you will have to deal with good and bad management. The culture of the times is very team oriented and very good to work with.

Stay away from this company and any jobs they offer

When i worked there, I made a manager angry, and they in turn deleted my pay data. I had to re-create my whole week. As if it's not bad enough with the low pay, I had to spend time in this task. How can a company employ managers who are so counter-productive? You'd think the big boss would do something about it, because they had to be the one to re-submit the pay data. But they can't afford to fire anyone, because they can't attract any new employees. The job market being what it is, most jobs pay more and have more reasonable hours (daytime). Everyone has a background check and drug test to get hired, but maybe a mental eval would've been appropriate for this one manager that's so detrimental to the company, because they apparently have mental issues.

Cons

There are no breaks available

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tampa Bay Times. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits