TANAGER PLACE Employee Reviews

Be a life changer...
Clinical Supervisor/Therapist (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 9, 2019
Tanager Place is an agency that is truly mission-driven. If you are interested in a job where you are going to make a difference in the lives of the people you work with, this is the place for you. There are challenges to every position at Tanager Place, but the rewards far outweigh the difficulties that exist within the systems we work. Beyond the actual work of changing lives, the culture of the team is one of the things that has kept me around so long. I feel valued, connected, and supported in my role, and that is a feeling that I have had in every position I have held at Tanager Place. Hard work is recognized, appreciated, and rewarded. There is constant opportunity for growth, and all in all - it is a beautiful place to grow. I am incredibly grateful for my time at Tanager Place, and hope others can find what I have found here. Apply today!
Pros
changing lives, team culture
Cons
stressful work if you don't practice adequate self-care
WorkPlace
Caseworker I (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IowaOctober 26, 2018
I work with some of the best social workers in Cedar Rapids no balance of work life with personal life, on-call 24/7. then they lost the state contract and did not help any employees with transitioning to another position.
Tanager Place
Director (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 3, 2018
Great company to work for. Management is accessible and truly cares about their employees. Provides work life balance and supporting of employees personal growth.

Very mission focused and rewarding.
Learned a lot but poor work environment
Youth Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 27, 2018
I was terrified to go into work. There was not enough structure or training given to new staff members which affected the kids we were taking care of. My main problem with tanager was that the workers there weren't a part of a "team" they had their favorites among the staff and would stick with them. Which is not beneficial for the staff or the clients. The other huge problem was the aggressiveness of the clients. It was normal to come home with scratches, bruises, bite marks, and missing hair due to client aggressiveness.
Pros
Decent pay, resume builder
Cons
No breaks, poor teamwork, aggressive clients
ok
youth service worker (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 7, 2018
stressful not enough staff kit was ok but could of gain more poeple and less stressful and involve more in the kids life and take it slow on there workers
An agency that strived to provide qualtiy services.
Program Coordinatior (Former Employee) –  Ottumwa, IANovember 18, 2017
The Ottumwa office is no longer open. The main office in Cedar Rapids is still open and has changed some of the services that they provide. They have a good reputation in the community.
Pros
Paid holidays, sick leave and vacation. Provided funding for continueing education.
Cons
Distance between Ottumwa & Cedar Raoids and the differences in the community make up.
Fulfilling and Rewarding Career
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 1, 2017
Working at Tanager Place is a rewarding experience because no matter what job you hold here, you are making a positive impact on the lives of children and families. The management here sincerely care about you and help you advance in your role to become more successful. In other companies that I've worked for, I rarely ever saw members of the executive team but at Tanager Place, they care about their employees and make an effort to meet you and get to know you. I work alongside people that all have the same goal in mind which is improving the lives of children and everyone is such a team player and are very easy to work with. I really enjoy going to work each day!
Transforming Organization
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 1, 2017
Tanager Place lives its mission by putting children and families first while continuously improving our clients experience AND the experience of our employees. In my time here, I have witnessed the care and consideration the executive team has for our employees, striving to be transparent and making decisions that help keep employee satisfaction and engagement high. Given the industry, there are ups and downs, but at the end of the day, we have the best staff taking care of the children and families in our community. I truly enjoy my job here at Tanager Place and hope to stay for many more years!
Pros
Flexible work schedule, opportunity for growth, great team!
Bhis rocks
Behavioral Health Intervention Services Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 25, 2017
Tanager Place's BHIS program was super wonderful to work for! Great co-workers, wonderful supervisory support, and awesome benefits. I had a great work, life balance. Hardest part would be the travel and the split shifts at times for seeing clients; however, if you're good at scheduling your own stuff, it works really well. The paperwork is a bit intense, but everything else balances it out.
Pros
flexible schedule, great benefits, awesome co-workers and supervisors
Cons
travel time, paperwork
A nice place to work
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 16, 2017
Tanager is a nice place to work, but the demands are very stressful. The disciplinary practices are not great and needs improving. If Tanager would actually consider looking at their areas of weaknesses more, this would be an awesome company to work for. The turn over is high at Tanager. Working with troubled youths is not an easy task. Try it, you may like it.
Pros
Nice place
Cons
Too stressful
A shift in focus without proper support.
Youth Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 7, 2017
On the whole, Tanager Place presently feels poorly run. There seems to be a great shift happening in the priorities of the management, and they aren't supporting the PMIC staff who are caught in the grinding gears. They are hemorrhaging staff left and right, and the management is abusing the remaining staff to keep their basic infrastructure afloat.

It can be best described as, "They took too many planks from the bottom of the boat to build the bridge."

I do not recommend working there, as an employee who worked there for 4 years. Those first few years were good, but now is not the time to apply.
Living nightmare
Program Therapist, Inpatient (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 20, 2017
Worst job I've ever had. Stress levels were off the charts. Management was unreasonable and did not have the employees back-ever. They had me doing 3 different jobs with no recognition. Very cliquey-co-workers and bosses would smile in your face and stab you in the back.
Fun, faced paced job working with children and their families
Caseworker I (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 15, 2017
Working with Tanager Place gives you the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of children and their families. Going to work knowing you are helping children with mental health needs overcome trauma in their lives is a rewarding and meaningful experience.
Challenging & rewarding
Treatment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 4, 2017
Challenging & rewarding, although not a safe work environment with aggressive clients. Gain a ton of experience in the mental health/social services field & there is room to advance if you are good at your job.
Challenging, interesting place to work
Third Shift Coordinator, floating the campus (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 27, 2017
Working at Tanager Place for the past 14 years has been an interesting experience with great job security. Working with children that need consent care and supervision.
Pros
job security
Cons
lack of promotion oppratunity.
Loved working for Tanager. Exemplary mission.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 23, 2017
This was a very busy job assignment. There was a lot of variety and it never got boring. The staff for the most part was pleasant to work with.

When coordinating payment of invoices for an agency, it is necessary to be able to communicate with management in all departments. The last 3 of the 16 years I worked for Tanager the management changed in its entirety.

There were then so many meetings of department heads that I found I was communicating with voice mail more than my coworkers. It was much more time consuming to get approval of invoices and get them paid in a timely manner.

I would still be there today, had that not been the case.
Pros
Terrific agency with an admirable mission.
Cons
Too many chiefs and not enough indians.
Overall Good
Treatment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 19, 2016
The job was overall good, great pay, but schedules were made every two weeks and uncertain which shift you would work and when. This is a burn out job. Kids are wonderful, but it requires so much constant instant problem solving. Poor initial job showing. but does do a ton of training.
Pros
Great pay, kids are wonderful
Cons
no breaks, unsure schedual, and shifts
Very High Turnover
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 14, 2016
High turnover, very poor management. I would say this employer is easy as far as the work but very limited in advancement opportunities and subject to many layoffs.
Productive and lively place to work with great employee connections
Assistant Program Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 4, 2016
I learned to stay calm in chaotic or stressful environments
Co-workers make the environment enjoyable to work in
Management is enjoyable and easy to approach
Pros
work with a diverse population, coworkers, work environment, being able to use creative thinking daily
Cons
no breaks, unpredictable schedule
Caring and Supportive Environment
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IA 52404July 27, 2016
There is no typical day in my position. As the Exec. Adm. to the CEO, each day and the priorities for the day change. It is exciting and fun to figure out the challenges for each new change/priority. I have learned so much about children, their disabilities and how truly passionate all of the employees are about these young individuals. Management is super supportive and understanding while trying to balance staff and budget. The hardest part of my job is to successfully complete the minutes that I'm responsible for in a timely manner as I sometimes have 5 to 7 meetings per week to take minutes for. The most enjoyable part of my job is organizing events and helping others.
Pros
Doing what is needed to help young individuals succeed
Cons
Cost of health insurance