Target Employee Reviews

Found 31,476 reviews matching the search See all 32,991 reviews
Revolving door of inexperienced managers
Senior Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 20, 2018
Target typically hires its executives externally straight from college, resulting in inexperienced managers making decisions for long-term store employees. They are moved between positions they aren't trained for and between stores so often that no location can ever have a cohesive management team long enough to make effective change. Then they quit and move on to a better company because Target is not a great work environment for millenials. There are practically no perks that come with this job. If you want to take a weekend off you have to work an extra one. Long hours to complete some random set of tasks a district manager wants done by the end of the week, then there is no followup from them. Anyone who made it long enough is then managed out so they can hire a college intern to take the job for less pay. Not to mention they will dangle the prospect of a promotion in front of you for years to keep you motivated, while expecting you to repeatedly train the replacement for your manager who keeps quitting.
Pros
Met a lot of good people
Cons
Training for managers
The pay was actually starting to get better with the whole 15.00 an hour step raises.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  AZJuly 20, 2018
New hires made as much as me, an employee of 13 years. Overall, the step raises to $15 we’re making life bearable. You don’t get scheduled a lot of hours but there are ways to swap shifts, get called in, etc. I got good vacation time, sick, and holiday pay... but use it before you quit. My mistake. Management various across stores. The team leads were the ones to be the most hassle. No training on how to talk to team members. Many are rude and condescending and always want to blame. You are responsible for getting more stuff done with less hours... they’re gonna Make you earn that 15.00, but fair enough I guess
Pros
Breaks, paid vacation, 401k
Cons
Not a consistent schedule, hours vary weekly
They make sales
Guest Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJuly 20, 2018
The management is very stuck up and judgmental, which encourages other team members to be the same way.
they very rarely follow through. Rude to guests, and don't really enjoy working or helping the guests. They say they want to help everyone without judgement and want to work with problems or disabilities. Then talk bad about them. Or treat them rudely.
My store management doesn't reflect any of the values or culture that Target talks about.
Pros
They are always hiring
Nice break room
Hardlines Team Member (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 20, 2018
It’s really hot in there the ac does not work the people I work with are really nice everyone works as a team we all help each other out when we need it
Pros
The 15 min breaks
Cons
No ac
Great
Cashier (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, NYJuly 19, 2018
Getting to meet people and work in a fast paced environment is the best. I felt great to work with the target brand if only they had not tired me due to an sickness which was cause by a un planned pregnancy that I later found out
Very stressful. Didnt want to work with my hours.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJuly 19, 2018
They were always up our a** for the red cards and the breaks and lunches were given late. They dont care about the wellbeing of others expect if you met the daily goal.
Pros
10% employee discount
Cons
Red cards, late breaks/lunches, rude management, inflexible work hours, rude "guest", scams.
Target
Cashier (Holiday Season) (Former Employee) –  Ansonia, CTJuly 19, 2018
My position at Target was Holiday Seasonal. I had no idea who my supervisor was. The people there were not friendly. I would not recommend working here to anyone.
Good team
Guest Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 19, 2018
Nice places to start your career, they have a lot to teach you, and you can move fast depending on the store director. Make sure to build a good relationship with all executives
Fun, enjoyable environment
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Harker Heights, TXJuly 19, 2018
MY experience at Target was enjoyable. I actually loved waking up and going to work most days. many of the team members were friendly and apart of a team environment. volunteer work was optional. Managers listened and assisted in problem situations. hardest part was the pay at times and dealing with unruly customers. easiest part was greeting and assisting customers. going out your way for someone to show them that they have your undivided attention and team members were always required to be knowledgeable if not knew where to look.
Alright for the first few months
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXJuly 19, 2018
The first few months of working at Target were fine up until I realized how awful management is. Nobody ever seems to do good enough apparently. Management also seems to be big into the drama, which there is tons of! Yay! I have had former team members tell me their horror stories. Honestly, as long as you never speak to anyone else in the store and annoy the heck out of guests you’ll be fine. You’re also never guaranteed your breaks (if you need someone to cover), only lunch.
Pros
Friendly team members
Cons
Poor management, Low hours, Toxic work environment
Life @ Target
Sr. Replenishment Team Leader (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 19, 2018
I've worked retail now for upwards of ten years, the ever changing landscape has pushed Target to re-invent some of the things they were so reliant on. I would say now is the time for someone that has a knack for innovation, and a passion for an ever changing atmosphere to join.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
progression with the company can stagnate
A decent place to work.
TEAM MEMBER/SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJuly 19, 2018
Target, at least my Target isn't a great place to work, but it's far from the worst. Many of the managers promise things to get what they want from the workers which cause bad feelings from many. When I oversee the front, I use positive reinforcement to encourage my team to perform and have prizes for those who do exceptional jobs. The way I grew up was to lead by example and most managers fall short of that.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Short breaks, not very good benefits, and apathy.
group meetings
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2018
target will always have meeting to make the enviroment better at work . and they will always make sure we always satify the customers , also target will always reward us if we come in early not miss any days ,
I loved working for target and willing to actually go back ! I felt like they were my family we were all so close ..
Guest Service Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 19, 2018
Target is the best ! I really loved everything about working there . I learned a lot from working at target it’s a family place everyone gets along and have a great bond ! It was another home for me
Friendly environment, fast paced
Operator/ Fitting Room (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAJuly 19, 2018
Customer service focused job. Every day was different, meaning every day there were different tasks to complete. Would sometimes be fast paced because of customer traffic, or can be very slow depending on when and what time your shift was.
Pros
long lunches- 45 minutes
Cons
unreliable schedules, inconsistent hours
na
Backstock Team Member (Former Employee) –  Union City, CAJuly 19, 2018
i believe a working environement is key. for the most part, everyone was friendly. i minded my own business and worked liked i was supposed to. no issues.
Amazing
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 19, 2018
This place was great, it was always a little busy but the customers and co workers are amazing. It was a great first job. I miss working there. I would love to go back.
Comfortable Environment
Beauty Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Holland, OHJuly 19, 2018
This company ensures that the guests are having a great shopping experience. The employees are taught to be helpful and enthusiastic. The supervisors ensure that you are comfortable.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAJuly 19, 2018
Nice place to work at, friendly people and great work environment. It was easy talking with the guest and great being able to learn new things all the time. Felt like I learned something new everyday.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Short Breaks
nice people
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 19, 2018
the workload was busy yet manageable. the customers were very demanding at times but manageable. the supervisors were also very trained and understanding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Target. Our community is ready to answer.

59.4K
410.9K
38.3K
22.6K
11.8K

Diversity score

67out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Target.

Powered by Comparably