Target

United States59,096 reviews

Found 59,096 reviews matching the searchSee all 61,003 reviews
storeguretailmemberguestcashierteamdiscount

it is an ok job

At first, i loved my job here at target which is flexbile fulfillment, i enjoy working with the team. The management doesn't know how to manage employees and are very rude. All they care about is themselves because they make better pay and numbers. Im thinking about leaving but I don't know if I should leave just because they don't treat us right.

Pros

Free lunches, Multiple breaks, an OK pay

Cons

bad management, less hours, rude customers (sometimes)

Co-workers are great but they don't give hours

They will do everything they can to keep you part-time and give you minimal hours when it's not holiday time. Don't blame them, but you can't live off of 8 hours a week. Also, you'd only get your schedule a couple of days in advance, so it's impossible so plan things

Target insights

Based on 36,224 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness

Good first job

This atmosphere is so much better than working at a restaurant. Once you get the hang of it, cashiering is pretty low key and your mind goes to auto pilot. Employees and team leads are all nice. My only complaint is that I wasn't trained on anything else except cashiering but newer members got trained on guest service and self-checkout in addition to cashiering. Granted, I only worked 3 days a week, so that could be why I didn't get trained on other things. Overall, it's a good summer job.

team members are fun

I love working at target because of my team members, wish the pay was more with what we have to deal with, but other than that its good. its easy to make good relationships with the people in your department.

An ok company to work for.

Target distribution center in Fontana CA is a decent paying job. You max out your pay in 3 years. The work is easy but repetitive managers are hit or miss.

An OK place to work

The particular store I worked at hires a lot of students so they are very good with flexibility and changing availabilities. Alot of long-term employees I have worked with have complained of being unhappy or stressed. I personally have not felt that way. Sometimes the work feels monotonous so sometimes I felt bored or unhappy. It is a small format store so you are expected to work in every area of the store. I was hired for customer service but am frequently scheduled to stock the floor which sometimes annoyed me. There is not much discipline for mistakes unless it is major which makes it a good environment to grow and learn. In terms of environment, when I first started everyone was enthusiastic and helpful but as time passed everything felt so monotonous and slow to the point it was not enjoyable to work there anymore. Sometimes the managers appear a little aggressive when handling customer's issues which I found interesting, but I understand that you need some grit to handle certain situations as a manager.

Pros

Team member discount, Flexibility, Small mistakes welcome

Cons

Monotonous, Inconvenient if you're not 21 and working in customer service b/c of alcohol purchases, A lot of theft

Needs better management.

Good place to work if they had better management. Expectations too high for regular associates meanwhile management gets all the perks and bonuses even though they don’t do anything but sit around and talk in the office or in the front of store. Hr is completely unprofessional, the whole store will know your business within an hour.

A good place if you have no where else to go

I feel like your experience will be heavily dictated by how much your management cares about their department, as it isn’t uncommon for them to not help out the lower level team. Either ways, get ready for a heavy workload with hours cut throughout the store. My coworkers could be a little catty at some times, but if you’re respectful to everyone, and mind your business, you shouldn’t have any drama or issues. Pay is ok for a job that doesn’t require a degree, but we still deserve more for how much work they ask of us.

Overall positive

Can be demanding and busy but it’s overall positive and supportive. There can be a high turnover rate and weekends are very busy but I feel appreciated.

Pros

Benefits and uninterrupted breaks/lunch

Cons

turnover with staff

I have worked at Target part time since March. It has been hectic since the pandemic but I love the fast pace and the relationship with the customers and my coworkers

I didn't enjoy my time working here, the coworkers are what made it the best.

Working at target was fun at start, but I got to know more about the closing team leaders, which would criticize me and my coworkers. Leader for my department overworked others, poor communication. Coworkers are fun though, they made it enjoyable. Workplace culture is toxic, a lot of drama between people as well.

Nice place to work but there’s too much favoritism shown

I enjoyed my 4 and a half years at target until the favoritism started management isnt what it was when I started back in 2017, now management pick and choose who the like and dislike I could go on and on about how nasty they are but I won’t

Fun with the right people

Working at this company for the past 4 years was great. But as years go by and management becomes garbage. This place is always understaff and can never keep people at the job.

Fun place to work

Everyone is like a family. I feel like my ideas are heard and implemented. Communication could be better from top down. Sometimes expectations are higher than can be achieved. The expectation is to cover multiple areas when needed, like register and online orders. If I ever feel overwhelmed my team always supports me. The team always comes with a strategy every day.

Pros

You can check schedule in app and give away or pickup shifts, food, celebrate crazy national holidays like donut day, good team environment, once you know your daily routine you can come in and get started

Cons

Sometimes get caught up in work and don't take breaks, schedule is done 3 weeks out so time off has to be put in early, people don't always pick up shifts when you need off, getting stuck at register and not being able to finish your tasks, getting pulled for other tasks after starting daily routines

Good company overall

Good company overall.There is a big delay in receiving medical and dental insurance. The company requires you to be employed for 13 months before being eligible for medical/dental insurance and you must work full time hours.

Okay experience

Lots of job flexibility. Room for career growth. Hires for management roles with internal talent first. Pay is decent. Opportunities for overtime. Opportunities to be cross trained.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Pay could be better

Productive but overworked and difficult to move up

I’ve been at target for 1.7 years I was part time and was overworked to the point where I failed school. They don’t care about your life at home and expect you to do extra work for no pay increase. Some managers were understanding others expected you to live and breathe target. The work was was busy most days and managers never defended employees when a customer got in their face. Overall it can be a good job for someone who likes to stay busy but don’t count on getting the schedule you want.

Not bad

Overall not a bad job. I work in the style department which is an area with one of the heaviest work loads and highest expectations. Managers are okay. Scheduling is random and it can be hard to get time off even if you request it but I guess that’s how retail is.

Pros

Team members are nice, easy work, decent money, benefits

Cons

Managers can be rude, heavy workload, sometimes unrealistic expectations

Great managment and fun coworkers.

While at Target work can, on occasion, be chaotic, the vast majority of the time it is reasonable. it has a very collaborative team-baced culture and when the team leads pull more than their fair share of the load most of the time and are extremely flexible. Target welcomes new team members from all walks of life and encourages you to be yourself.

Good and bad

So like the good thing is you get a lot of benefits. The bad part is Target doesn't give you overtime. It rarely does and then it cuts your hours when they don't have hours. So you might be working 30 hours one week and then go down to like 10 the next week so it just depends on their hours during the holidays you get full-time hours because they have unlimited hours but the rest of the year they just cut who they don't like and they give all the hours to people who they like. There's a lot of people that don't do their job there or do it poorly and it's because they're cut. So it just that was my experience

Expectations are incredibly high

Target is not for the faint of heart. They expect a lot for how much they pay. Most of us leaders (hourly) have no work life balance. All of the salaried leaders work over14 hours a day to try and make the stores run successfully. They pay high because you do the job of 4 people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Target. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight