Target Employee Reviews in Chicago, IL

This is a place for the youth to work
Researcher/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 10, 2018
There was to much gossip and drama at that location and not enough positive leadership. Those in charge were showing favoritism to friends and tried to put all the hard work on the older employees
Pros
The discounts were the best part of that job
Cons
No proper leadership
Eh
Style Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 10, 2018
When I first started working at target everything was good. I actually enjoyed it. Now they changed so many unecessary things, I dread coming to work. My “ETLs” don’t do anything and basically are LAZY. They don’t help out with anything at all, and it sucks how the STL can’t see that too. It must be nice not doing anything while getting salaried. I don’t see what their role is anymore when all the associates are basically responsible for everything now so definitely not worth it anymore for the pay Atleast.
Pros
10% discount, breaks, overtime during the holiday
Cons
Everything else!!!
fun work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2018
greet the guest. work on the floor restock. count money and clean assist the guest with a return and help out in the starbucks cafe help drive target red cards
Fun fast paced, room for promotions & well compensated
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 31, 2018
Target is a fast paced work environment but you get very well trained for the job expected. Target has health benefits as well as retirement. Definitely a place you will not be bored because it changes every day.
Pros
Monetary well compensated
Cons
Work life balance
Hard working place
Target Team Member (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2018
I like working there , the employees are nice and really helpful , everybody’s polite, but they just don’t give you enough hours and I can’t work like that .
Retail associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 27, 2018
Good hard work easy to learn and easy to do. Couple of bad customers but we were trained how to deal with them accordingly. Over time was only for holidays and If you didnt want to work that shift you can give it away
okay
Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2018
works hours were inconsistent once workload was done you were sent home and wasnt able to see full hours not reliable if you have to pay real bills only food money lol
group meetings
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2018
target will always have meeting to make the enviroment better at work . and they will always make sure we always satify the customers , also target will always reward us if we come in early not miss any days ,
I learned retail has a lot of different teams in order to operate
Logistics Trainer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2018
I learned the fast pace of logistics in retail and there is so much more the sales that makes a retail company function. In order the the entire company to well with sales every team must do their job efficiently.
Started out fine, but soon realized the team can make you feel like an outcast.
Sales Associate, Cashier, and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 15, 2018
Decent pay, decent location, the commute is decent. I have a few co-worker friends that I made, outside of the HR department the team is not very understanding of stress and the amount of follow up appointments needed to schedule in relation to the residual effects of being hospitalized.

Also, the other associates bring their high school drama to work when we're all 20+ year olds who have different lives now. I go to work to fund my lifestyle, save up for a salamander and pay bills, not trash other people. Because I've been an adult for some time and while the high school mindset that some of the associates have is really annoying, I'm mostly upset about the aftermath of my hospitalization.

It started off awkward upon return from the hospital, but was essentially thrown back into the same hectic environment despite repeated attempts to remind other associates in charge of scheduling and placement that there needed to be changes to my availability (more flexible during the morning and day) and a proper placement in the store. I have been inquiring about sitting down and getting situated with the head of HR, but that hasn't happened yet. I was just told that before I can work I would have to discuss work with them. I was accused of "causing the store to suffer due to too many call offs" even though the appointment dates were brought to attention days in advance and I was told I would be removed the schedule that day, I guess they were just putting down that I didn't come in.

It sucks because I really am dealing with seeing health care professionals, insurance bills,
  more... and other factors that go into stressing out any human.

Perhaps this is all a miscommunication on my part to those that handle and adjust the schedule but I like my work environment to be stress drama, and work-place-mishap free. (Of course, I mean stress that is induced by work-related mishaps. Other kinds of stress such as simply having a job and doing it are a non-issue for me. ) I will take the time to reflect.

Nevertheless, everyone's experiences differ but i'd rather seek employment elsewhere.
Great workplace to gain experience
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 12, 2018
I learn to read different people
I gained information by being vocal and greeting
Call outs on potential theft was my best asset
Experienced co workers taught me alot
Pros
Free uniform and equipment
A Job
Executive Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 12, 2018
Change is a culture, and that is the culture at Target. Just when you think you are leading your team to success, priorities change. That's understandable in a dying industry (brick and mortar retail), but it's a drain on employees. Overall, Target compensates well, but you earn it.
Fun and energetic
Cashier/Guest Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 9, 2018
Everyone that works at target is great. super fun, friendly, and fast. While working here i was cross trained in all areas of the store. Costumers were really nice.
Target is a large corporation with an over-adventurous mission.
Style Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2018
A typical day at work is pretty much the same everyday. The management team is very disorganized and day to day tasks seem very rushed. The workplace culture is acceptable however its not particularly special. I have not learned much that I didn't already know
I hated target
Guest Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 23, 2018
They have favorites and they only way up is to be a favorite. You can out work the favorite but you still will be overlooked, you can be the best at your job but as soon a one person has a negative opinion about you everybody does. not worth the stress keep it moving
It's ok
Front Desk Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 22, 2018
I've been with the company for 4 years now,target is a geart place to work.only thing is lack of hours.im am 33 years old with 2 children my job title there is price accurcy im only getting 15-25 hours not enough for a place of my own.
productive workplace
Team Member Trainer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 22, 2018
Working at Target overnight was really fun and laid back at times. Most of all the team members that worked with me were awesome. Every year around June there is a Target appreciation day at Great America.
Pros
10% discount on anything in store
Cons
cant leave on break
fun place to work for
Recieving Lead (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 14, 2018
great company to work for , management treat associate fair benefits are great vacation pay too ... but they do cut hours bad and don't like to give over tme out
Pros
free lunch
Cons
hours cut
Not a bad place to start
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 6, 2018
Working at Target as a part-time employee is not a bad way to begin your working life. The management is generally competent and is especially accommodating to students. With more than two weeks notice they generally give days off for important school events and other things.

Give it a shot if you need a stable and easy place to start.
great
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 2, 2018
Target is a good company to work for. There is a lot of fun days HR plans for the employees. For example forget your lunch day. they provide you lunch.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Target. Our community is ready to answer.

59.5K
411.1K
38.5K
22.7K
11.8K

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

67out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Target.