Target Employee Reviews in Houston, TX

38.8K
22.8K
11.9K
Found 327 reviews matching the search See all 34,723 reviews
Terrible management and over worked!
Sales Associate (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2018
I only worked there for 2 months and they threw me to the wolves. After 3 days of training, they put me in their biggest section of the store. Needless to say I wasn't prepared. There were many things I had to learn as I went through my time working there that were daily need to knows. The management tended to blame me for not knowing and when I told then nobody trained me on it, they gave me "coaching". They also have poor work ethics when running this specific store. They were "understanding" when I called in for bereavement purposes, but in that same week I got into a car accident during my lyft ride to work and the head management over soft lines told me I had to come in or be terminated. Yup, after being in a CAR ACCIDENT, I either come in or lose my job. So I came in and left early because I needed medical attention and the other L.O.D of the night sent me home BUT told me my job was in danger because they have and I quote "a business to run". I get back and hear they had been writing me up for these instances and others unknown to me so I got fed up and quit! I have never in my life felt so targeted at a job but as I was going through this I was told from other employees that I wasn't the only one they did this too. They were understaffed when they hired me because every one was quitting due to being overworked and management. The pay was great but I'll never work for them again.
Pros
Starting pay:$12.50/hr and volunteer opportunities
Cons
Over worked, under staffed, bad management, and serious lack of training!
Ok place to work
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 24, 2018
Ok place to work alot of false promises made to people im trying to get away from retail and try something new and exciting looking for new opportunities
Great workplace
Backroom Team Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 21, 2018
It was a great workplace to work at,my team members were great including the environment very fast pace and so on I would advise somebody to work there
not fun or productive.
Style Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 16, 2018
target management is horrible, they let managers get away with a lot even if they have a paper trail of complaints. they aren't understanding of your school schedule if still are in school. also not very fair with the scheduling, if you are available to close everyday they will make you close everyday and by the time you get out of work it will be 1 am, even if they close at 11.
alright
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 12, 2018
the co workers are great but the management does try to take advantage of you if you are younger they will try to do you dirty they fired me because they did not want to adjust my schedule for school and I only went two days out of the week
Pros
nice coworkers
Cons
poor managent
Diverse environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 10, 2018
There is so many different people that come into Target. So everyday was something different, which made it enjoyable. The holidays were the best and worst, because they give you many hours and they go by so quickly, but it was hard to to do all your responsibilities in the short amount of time. While also trying to help guests find what they are looking for and assisting cashiers. The most enjoyable was working with so many different people, made some really good friends there.
Pros
flexible schedule, friendly environment
Cons
holiday hours (black Friday)
Haedest Part of the Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 4, 2018
Management does not listen and wants people to forget about continuing further education for better paying positions. Days at Target would be faced pace on the Holidays but, during regular days they were slow. I would walk back and forth on the self check out lanes. Assisting customers with there items of purchase if the self check out register would give them a problem.
Pros
Good Pay
Fun people nice environment
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 3, 2018
It was a seasonal job so not much chance to make it on permanently. Was offered the job but it was out of the way so i turned it down. Good job for teen
Very poor leadership
Consumables Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 2, 2018
Target calls their executives and lower level managers "Team Leaders," but absolutely have no understanding about what leadership is about. The executives know how to be a boss--blow up the radio and tell everybody else what to do--but certainly do not know how to motivate or encourage team members to produce more. If these executives would roll up their sleeves and pitch in, they would get a great deal more effort, and respect, from the employees. Sadly, instead, they set themselves apart--above--the team members. I cannot recommend it as a place to work.
Pros
Occassionally some free food in the break room
Cons
Very poor leadership that doesn't want to hear your opinion
Fun workplace but poor management
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 2, 2018
Although the employees here are great and it is a team environment the management here is terrible. They do not care about how much work you already have on your plate. They are lazy and throw their work on you and expect it to be done on time.
Average
Guest Service Attendant/ Cash Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 2, 2018
The pay is decent compared to other places but hours are very limited. People have to cover shifts just to meet 40 hours. Most of the ETLs are very professional and pleasant. There are a few that could use some retraining on work place ethics.
Busy Work place
Guest Services Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 21, 2018
fast paced environment
must be able to work more than one position
working early is a plus
evening hours are kind of rushed
have to maintain work ares throughtour desired work shift
Pros
fast paced make hours go by
Cons
Busy, easily trashed if not maintained during down time
pocas horas
Cashier/Backroom stocker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 13, 2018
Es buena,se aprendio mucho la parte mas dificil era q querian q le empujaramos las targetas de credito a los clientes y los clientes nos salian con repugnancia.
Cons
they push it to much for the credit cards
fast paced and high expectations
Guest Services Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 9, 2018
Target has high expectations for all employees and I found that you were never quite able to completely meet goals simply because the job focus or standards changed all the time. They are currently changing the way they do business in the stores which requires salesfloor team members to be able to do everything back to front which includes pulling stock from backroom and setting sales planners all the way through properly backstocking products all while providing outstanding guest service. For the front end, they are also working to make sure they know how to pull and backstock product as well as set sales planners as well as process all guest transactions while offering RedCard Credit or Debit cards and teaching the guests to use their Target Cartwheel App. They used to have a separate team that processed and pushed trucks and maintained the backroom but those positions have gone away with the new process. It is a fast-paced environment. In my store, management changed often and not all of them were as willing to work with the team members as others.
Pros
employee discounts, good benefits and paid vacations for Full-time employees
Cons
not always hours available to PT employees, training is lacking
Target
Cashier/Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 5, 2018
It is an ok place to work, if you just need to supplement your income. But if its a job that you have as a fulltime, I don't think is it really supportive with promoting within at an timely rate.
Pros
good to supplement income
Cons
Not good if your interested in advance quickly
It’s a love/hate relationship
Guest Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 4, 2018
As a Guest Service Attendant, working at Target can be a little stressful. We get paid the same as cashiers ($12/hr) even though we do twice as much work as they do. Although we’re allotted more hours and very little benefits, it isn’t fair pay for the amount of work that we do. The upper management team doesn’t seem to be interested in development.
Very productive and friendly place to work.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 27, 2018
Working for Target was a great experience. The environment was friendly and there was always something to be done, which I enjoyed. They offered free food multiple days out of the week.
Pros
Free lunch and discounts
Cons
No overtime
Walmart
TX. Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 18, 2018
It seemed like a tidy and spacious environment. I had my own new desk, which consisted of a computer, a very comfortable chair, a stapler, lots of pens, a post tray and many other little gadgets that caught my eye. As I walked through my new workplace, I was quick to recognise, the very friendly working environment, and positive attitude of the workers employed there.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Short brakes
Fun work place
INVENTORY CONTROL CLERK (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2018
Nice work place fast pace friendly manger hard labor dealing with customers learning new things unloading trucks clean restroom a lot of walking great deals
Pros
Good food
Cons
Short lunch
its a fun environment to work in and they pay is great for starters
Beauty Team Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 1, 2018
ive learned so much at this company and its really going to better me for the future, hardest part of this job is getting customers to buy things you wouldnt buy yourself

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Target. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

67out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Target.

Powered by Comparably