Target Employee Reviews in Minneapolis, MN

Found 719 reviews matching the search See all 34,698 reviews
Not happy
BARISTA (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 17, 2018
Treats baristas different and wouldn't let me move to any other department also gets paid less than everyone that starts out at regular target. No free drinks and no tips
Very smart team and interesting projects
EDABI Graduate Data Engineer Intern, Minneapolis (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 14, 2018
Extremely smart people to work within the team and good projects. But compensation is average. Apart from that team is mostly comprised of highly qualified people and you will get to learn a lot from them
Fun culture but poor work life balance
Outdoor Living Merchandise Buyer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 5, 2018
fun, young culture and vibebrant downtown location
worklife balance is severely lacking within Merchandising pyramid
great discount at Target.com
health benefits are average
Pros
employee discount
Cons
work life balance, politics
Energetic and Productive work environment.
Vendor Master Data Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 5, 2018
Job duties were cross functional sometimes which made it interesting. Meetings were meaningful as team members were allowed to discuss issues they have come across as well as solutions. Everyone had a role, but there was an effort placed on everyone understanding what that role meant to the bigger goal. Overall a great experience.
A great community!
Ship from store (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 28, 2018
I loved the working environment at Target. My managers were always kind and understanding, and my colleagues were equally so. No matter how busy things got, we were always able to work effectively as a team to get the job done. My overall experience left me with a very positive impression of Target.
All depends on the group you are in
Manager, Business Intelligence & Analytics (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 26, 2018
Your experience is largely derived from the group you are in. The VP, Directors and Managers run their fiefdoms. If you have good leaders, the experience is great. If you have bad leaders, the experience can be miserable.

Number one rule: NETWORK

When you want to move to up or to a new role, your networking will be the biggest thing that will help you.
Fast paced company who isn't afraid to change
District Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 20, 2018
Target is a fast paced company, and I enjoyed that every day was different. You get to be involved in many aspects of the business, from HR to merchandising to operations. I loved interacting with my team, challenging them and training them to achieve goals. Target isn't afraid to change, and is working hard to stay ahead in retail. The toughest part of the job is lack of empowerment- there is too much structure for even Directors to be able to drive their business, it is turning into a culture of micro management. There are opportunities to advance, but the schedule and demands can be difficult if you have a family.
Great work environment, they treat their employees well.
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 17, 2018
Target cares a lot about technology. They recognize how heavily their company relies on it, so it makes working there as a software engineer great. The tech campus is amazing, and the TLP program is great for jump starting your career no matter if you stay at Target or not.
Pros
Good benefits and pay. Great, quiet work environment.
Cons
Good company with good benefits
Lead Data Engineer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 17, 2018
Challenging work environment making you to take extra initiatives and many opportunities to explore. Lot of encouragements from leaders and learning environment is highly promoted. Good pay and benefits as well.
Amazing people to work alongside everyday
Senior Buyer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 15, 2018
I learned retail from one of the best retailers. Started in inventory planning and worked my way up to merchandising. The fast paced world of retail is challenging and rewarding.
Pros
Talented people
Cons
Loss of culture of pride
Great learning environment but difficult career progression
Strategic Sourcing Lead (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 5, 2018
Target is a great place to work if you are ok staying in a role for a long time. Moving up is hard. The director level roles are extremely difficult to get even if you are a proven Rockstar at your role. Very focused on diversity, almost to a fault.
Pros
Very laid back working environement, encourage you to have coffees and meet with various people across the business
Cons
Extremely difficult to move up
A fine enough place to work as a part-time or first job.
Sales Floor Team Member (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 2, 2018
Target is a comfortable place to be that has varying ranges of managerial competence. If you have a good manager, chances are your experience at Target will be just fine. I needed a job very suddenly and applied to Target and they were very understanding when it came to flexibility, my desired hours, and upfront about what the job would entail and what I could expect from a salary. A note: If you are disabled or LGBT, Target is very friendly about hiring disabled and LGBT people, and the culture reflects this, I worked with many disabled and LGBT people during my time there.

Like with every retail workplace, whether or not you have a positive or negative time there relies entirely on whether or not you work with good people. (Thankfully, it's possible to move to different areas around the store and get different team leaders.) I was lucky enough to have good co-workers and good managers, and I had a great time.

The hardest part of the job is the physical and mental slog. Target expects you to be up and moving on your feet and working hard for long periods of time (but they do give you 15-minute breaks every 2 hours). Some areas of Target are more physically demanding than others. I worked in the Market department and was exhausted at the end of my shift, and areas like Hardlines and Cart Attendant will also but some areas like Online Pick-Up, Beauty, Cashiers, and Guest Services don't have as much of a physical element.

My favorite part was the discount (it's 10% off everything in the store, with an extra 20% off produce, Simply Balanced brand items, and C9 sportswear)
  more... and the camraderie I had with the other people at the store. It was a familial atmosphere.

Your salary will be perfectly acceptable for the work, but they do work you hard, which you should know.

In all, I liked working for Target very much, and it may not be a permanent job for most people, but as a college job it worked very well for me and I would recommend it.
Pros
Discounts, good coworkers, fair salary, flexible hours
Cons
Work is demanding, managerial competence varies, short meals
Productive and fun place to work
Senior Specialist Guest Relations Registry (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 1, 2018
I LOVE WORKING HERE! Leadership is on point with helping others. Your voice is always heard and something is done about it. Target values you as an important part of the team and you are never left out.
Pros
company meetings, benefits are great
Cons
weekend of work
creative work environment
Director Assistant, Distribution (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 1, 2018
very collaborative, lots of meetings, people were very energetic and encouraged ideas and brainstorming and was a very safe environment for learning and asking questions.
Target teaches you to be great
Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 30, 2018
Everyone should work at Target at some point in their career. One of the many great things about working at Target is it forces you to be diligent in the finer details of your work. Leadership pushes you to be prepared for any situation in order to maximize a given programs success.
I am better prepared for any work situation because of my time at Target.
Becoming an IT sweat shop
Lead Engineer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 29, 2018
IT department has undergone radical changes in the last four years and is no longer the dedicated, professional organization it once was. While changes were needed the pendulum has swung too far in the direction of open source.
Target is the way to go
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 28, 2018
Target is becoming a while new store, with emphasis on helping guests and ensuring that their needs are meet are 10x better than 10 years ago. The employees are friendly and kind.
Great Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 27, 2018
I would work there again. Nice cool environment with a/c. Also had a nice schedule. Friendly co workers and managers. Plus getting a percentage off of anything is nice.
I would recommend working at Target to a friend
Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 27, 2018
I wish that Target had provided more opportunities for advancement because I would have stayed with the company if that were the case. Leadership is somewhat disconnected from the day to day and many decisions are made without great understanding of the wide reaching impacts to the employees and the business.
Pros
Team culture - collaborative and fun
Cons
Slow pace and minimal advancement opportunities
Great environment for an entry level engineer
Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 25, 2018
Target has spent the past several years beefing up their technology sector (TTS - Target Technology Services) and its definitely paid off. There are lots of fresh new talented engineers as well as many engineers who have been around for a while and can offer great advice and support. Target invests in the most modern and advanced toolchain and is frequently testing out new technologies and upgrading legacy systems. There is a very stable work/life balance and unless it's peak season and something goes awry not many people are grinding obscene hours to get their work done. Its a very relaxed fun enviroment with amenities like game rooms and pool tables scattered throughout all their offices to keep team members entertained and happy to come to work. Overall being a Target engineer is an absolute pleasure and privilege.
Pros
Emphasis on technology, fun environment
Cons
Large corporate entity - Lots of red tape and regulation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Target. Our community is ready to answer.

59.8K
411.5K
38.8K
22.8K
11.9K

Diversity score

67out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Target.

Powered by Comparably