Target Culture reviews

Found 11,146 reviews matching the search See all 42,612 reviews
Excellent Place to Build Relationships and Management Skills
Target Team Member (Current Employee) –  Otsego, MNJuly 18, 2019
A regular day at work for me involves starting the day off with pulls from the back room, working them out, back stocking excess product, working out truck freight and then back stocking, price changing if needed that day, answering phone calls, and working out planogram pulls as well as making the aisle(s) that I am assigned to that look nice and clean for the guests.
I have learned a lot about time management. I can judge how long it will take for me to do a project, how much time I have left before my next break to finish or start and finish a project.
The workplace is a very focused and guest-oriented culture. The guest always comes first, and we are always focused on the tasks at hand. Although, some tasks are a little more important than others, so we must learn to prioritize.
The hardest part of the is the growing amount of responsibilities for each worker. We are doing more than we ever have in our departments ourselves. It seems a bit much at times, but I know that we can manage it as long as we, and management, can sort it out equally and properly.
The most enjoyable part of the job are the co-workers' dedication and hardwork, and the uplifting guests -- that includes the children!
Best Coworkers and Great Management Team
Backroom Logistics Team Member (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 18, 2019
My Target experience was the best! I loved my job and i always felt welcomed. I loved how everyone on your team helps out and i love how my job duties were. That job i had in Dallas Texas Love-field Target is by far the BEST experience i have ever had. They are very understanding and a great place to work! Totally would LOVE to take that position back at any time!
Fun and Productive Workplace
Backroom Team Member (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJuly 18, 2019
Consistently delivering on the exceptional value, quality and style that elevates Target as the premier retailer in a competitive global marketplace, this team uses intelligent and progressive business strategies to make the most of our resources and partnerships worldwide and works across product categories to create a localized shopping experience, both online and in store.
It was an overall great working experience and great Team building
Stylist Associate /Flow TeamMember (Former Employee) –  Marlton, NJJuly 18, 2019
Loved working here but not very flexible. Great team building everyone helped their team members. Friendly comfortable environment to work in. Target was an overall great place to work at just lacked in flexibility!
Probably Better than Average Retail
Sales Floor Team Member/Operator (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIJuly 18, 2019
Target is a decent place to work for. They're progressive and friendly to different lifestyles. They pay fairly competitively compared to other places. But, as is typical, they do their very best to never, ever have anyone work full time to avoid having to pay benefits, and they only provide overtime very, very, very sparingly. The location I was at is now closed, sadly, but the management team was pretty decent, and the team itself was quite nice. Things have changed since I've worked there, but I don't consider Target as a bad place to work.
Not horrible, better than other places
Target Team Member (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJuly 18, 2019
I don’t mind working at target, it’s a great place to work if you need a flexible schedule, the target I work at is great and I love my co-workers, however though the target corporate people aren’t the greatest, they change things every other week, the expect us to get stuff done in little time. The benefits are very good there as well.
Young and Friendly place to work out of highschool
Target Team Member (Former Employee) –  Commack, NYJuly 18, 2019
This was my first job while still in high school. They were always holding fun competitions to see who could sign people up for the most redcards and the atmosphere was always pleasant.
Culture shift within the past few months
Senior Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJuly 18, 2019
Culture shift with new leadership where company focus became unclear. The number of meetings scheduled caused a deficit on the floor which eventually negatively impacted the safety culture and continues today.
Get place to start working
Guest Services Attendant (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJuly 17, 2019
Target is a good place to work. The main problem is with the office politics and management. Management takes advantage of employees and does not fulfill promises of raises and advancement.
Busy, and fast paced
Cart Attendant (Former Employee) –  Placentia, CAJuly 17, 2019
Would not recommend working as a cart attendant, it was always busy and management adds more work to do. However the people are nice, and understanding so we always helped each other out.
Great place to work except for the increasing physical demands and lack of upward mobility.
Guest Advocate (Former Employee) –  Chino, CAJuly 17, 2019
As Target transitions its business style to keep up with the demands of online order fulfillment, the job became more and more physically demanding and warehouse-like than it had been in the past. The Guest Services position is no longer nearly as disabled-friendly as it used to be now with the rising demand of fulfilling online orders (with a two-minute timer, no less). Fulfilling online orders is not the difficult part of the job: it's the products within those orders that throw your back out literally (you try to get a mini-fridge out to someone's car in 120 seconds or less and see how well that turns out).
Culture-wise, my coworkers were great, my team leaders were great, and the regular customers were great. It was the corporate aspect of the job that had me seeking employment elsewhere (Target really waited until they settled a class-action lawsuit before deciding they should be giving their cashiers chairs to sit on when not directly helping customers--and at the time of writing this review STILL have not implemented said chairs). With the increase in pay going to $15 an hour they rationalized the increased workload and physical demands of the job--conveniently ignoring the fact that the California minimum wage will be $15 per hour by 2021 anyway, making them no better than working for any other retailer in California.
In addition to the "increase" in pay, they tweaked their business model to a method in which the Target employees are what they call "dedicated business owners"--"owning" your department, being an expert in the products you sell and being able to convince
  more... a customer to buy them. Ideally, this is great, because if a retail employee is going to suggest a product, they should be able to explain its efficacy and why the customer should buy it. The problem with this is, there is no actual "ownership" of anything--there's no investment or stock benefits that the employee gets for being a "dedicated business owner" and calling oneself a "business owner" without given any ownership was rather, to put it nicely, insulting.
Not only that, but if you're looking for a company in which you can move up the ranks, look elsewhere. Very rarely did they promote from within, even when there were qualified candidates for the team leader positions already working for them (maybe because it's cheaper to hire management from outside than promote within, I'm not sure).
If you need a job with flexible hours because you have another job or you're going to school or have other priorities going on in your personal life and you just need a gig to help pay the bills, Target is a great place to work.
If you're looking for a company in which you'll get a 40 hour work week, decent pay, and the possibility of upward mobility, I recommend looking elsewhere.
Pros
Flexible hours, great coworkers, employee discounts, medical and dental
Cons
increasing physical demands, warehouse-like
Terrible Company To Work For
Cash Office Associate, Logistics, Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 17, 2019
Culture and Management is awful!! Racism in stores are at an all time high! Gave my 2 weeks notice and got out of there!! I would never recommend anyone to work for this company
Non salary level team members are generally considered expendable and aren't looked out for.
Service and Engagement Leader (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 17, 2019
Fantastic pay, once you go in to leadership. I'm sure my store was an isolated instance, but team member availability was often ignored by my ETL, causing scheduling issues every single day. Overall culture was stressful and caused many team members to leave the store, resulting in a 100% turnover rate for the store. This included several tenured leaders leaving for competitors or other industries altogether. Employees weren't held to the same standards. Some got fired for the same thing that others got away with.
Pros
Decent pay if you were part of leadership
Cons
Toxic environment
Target is Fun, Enjoyable, Rewarding, & Extremely Challenging and Busy Place To Work.
Guest Advocate (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 17, 2019
The Target Management & Team Members are Friendly & Personable, Willing to Advise & Assist You, When Needed and Available When They're Not Working On Their Other Projects.

New Rules and Regulations and Practices are The Hardest Part of The Job to Learn Immediately, Takes Practice.

The Most Rewarding and Enjoyable Part of the Job Is Assisting Customers With Their Needs, Locating Items for the Customers, Meeting New Friends, On The Target Team, Staff Members and
Daily and New Signing Up Customers With Red Card Membership.

Target Team Members and Management Have Shown A Professional, Courteous, and Personable Demeanor, At All Times.
Pros
Perks-Free Food Ordered and Given to Team Members, By Target Management, For Jobs Well Done, Above & Beyond.
Cons
Short Amount of Instruction-Learning Time- To Adapt to New Rules & Regulations, Application To Daily Tasks. Slow Communication Skills & With Lack of Tools/Instruments, For Assisting Customers With Their Needs & Staff Team Members.
Na
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Inglewood, CAJuly 17, 2019
Great place to work. No complaints with the company. Great place to grow in the company. Also willing to improve the company whenever needed. Great benefits!!
Great place to meet people and interact with customers. No benefits due to lack of full-time opportunities.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 17, 2019
Collaborating with coworkers and team leaders was fun and engaging. Customers were usually friendly and enthusiastic to approach for help. The pay for a retail sales floor job was better than most other places but it was hard to get average hours per week above 30 which is required for benefits.
A fun company to work for.
Backroom Team Member (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJuly 17, 2019
Typical day includes, pulling product, stocking department and maintaining well zoned work area.

Learned the use of PC and PDS's for job related applications.

Work with a fair and friendly management team.

Great place to work, fun environment.

Hardest part of the job was maintaining a well zoned department.

Most enjoyable part of this job was the interactions with guests and colleagues.
Target
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJuly 17, 2019
Amazing Place to shop and Work. I loved working at Target as it's a very Relaxing and warming environment. Employees are well mannered, Respectful, Polite And helpful, weather being a Co-worker or a Guest.
Interesting work culture; something new everyday
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAJuly 16, 2019
Target was a fun place to work at. A day at the target I worked at would always be different, whether it be with guests or team members. The benefits are pretty slim, but that's really if you're a part timer
Started off great but went downhill fast
Front End Team Member (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOJuly 16, 2019
Started working for the company in 2015 right before they went from minimum wage to 9/hour and it wasnt bad for a retail job. Soon, after countless changes in management and a major change in leadership, everything just spiraled. The company culture as whole is toxic. The hotline to report ethical missteps is a complete joke. Says that the hotline is anonymous but they give the phone number of the team member who called to the store's HR rep so good luck if you use your own phone. Overall, just a toxic place to work now and its a shame because it wasnt always that way and the only reason to stay is because of the decent hourly wage. It traps you, especially if youre in a town with very little in terms of jobs with competitive wages.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Target. Our community is ready to answer.

511.8K

2.9InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight