Tate & Lyle Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
I'd rather not.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILAugust 3, 2018
I'd rather not. I'll just say it's not meant for everyone to work here. You are working under pressure, minimal help, guidance, instructions, training...etc.
Solid company with good culture
Director of Benefits/Compensation (Current Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJuly 23, 2018
Rewards skill and knowledge; provides autonomy and work life balance, excellent comp and benefits, opportunities for growth. The employees who stay are passionate about their contributions as well as the company mission. It's a great team environment.
Pros
workplace culture and the passion
Cons
lots of change, some good and some not so good
Ok place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJune 26, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was some of the people I got to work with and the substance of the work. I learned a lot while I was there and appreciate that.
Weekly check, but lacking everywhere else.
Production Operator/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Sycamore, ILMay 15, 2018
Working here felt like working as a slave. You’re not paid enough for the job you’re pressured to do, day in and out. Management lives on another planet, and only cares about numbers. Corporate orders everyone to work at a decent pace for safety reasons, but this is ignored by management at the sycamore facility, and you face termination if you don’t speed up. Career advancement is horrible, with almost ZERO room to move up.
Pros
3 day weekends, paid weekly.
Cons
The work itself is disgusting, facility is 100+ degrees in the summer, poor management
Hoping a friend reads this review
Process Operator II (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, IN South PlantMay 5, 2018
Good money. Got a really good friend in the hiring pool...Unfortunately that is as far as she is going to get if you know what I mean. They just aren't into hiring women. I don't care how hard of a worker you are. Teams choose who works here not management, so these guys don't want any sexual harassment disputes arising. They talk open and freely about whatever they want. Pretty sure she is banking on an opportunity here, but just isn't going to happen. Hope this encourages you to move on in your career search hon.
Pros
money
Cons
work live balance
Learnt a lot over the years
Treasury Executive, Bulk Ingredients Division (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILApril 20, 2018
Enjoyed working with business partners in cross-functional teams to come up with solutions that added value to the company

Flexible working arrangements and short commute
Productive and Great People to work with
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Sycamore, ILApril 10, 2018
Tate & Lyle has been a great experience. The management has been wonderful and the coworkers are great. The work is not extremely hard, and there is always someone willing to help. They not only care about their employees but also the families of their employees.
Project Controls Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILFebruary 28, 2018
Interesting place to work. Met some really smart people. People helpful. Management nice to work with. Really enjoyable place to work. Learned how to work with LMS which was cool.
No faith,
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Sycamore, ILFebruary 14, 2018
Company did not reward good performance. Did not reward anyone for increasing knowledge. Did not like people having increased knowledge. Definite decrease in how one side of the building treats the other side. Business side vs production side. Poor management. Poor attitude. Poor overall leadership from upper levels.
Pros
provided work uniforms.
Cons
attendance policy. Low pay. No options for growth.
Enjoyable work environment
Bio Processing Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INJanuary 21, 2018
This was my first employer and would still be working with them if it were not for a desire to move back closer to family. I truly enjoyed the work, the atmosphere and the people. I would highly recommend Tate and Lyle to work here.
Enjoyed learning the corn milling process
Fort Dodge, as a Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IADecember 4, 2017
The plant didn't ever get up and running, but we were trained in all the processes and were tested accordingly.
The managers were willing to listen to ideas and help when you struggled on new tasks.
Pros
Good pay and good employer
Cons
Rotating 12 hour days/nights
Good starting point
Quality Assurance Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INOctober 8, 2017
Worked weekends part time as part of a temp agency, which is why I didn't get benefits. Decent job, easy to complete. Quality staff is friendly and helpful if you need it.
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
Low pay
No different than high school/Persecution/closet racism/alienation
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJune 17, 2017
The lack of professionalism was unparalleled. The negativity was unparalleled. I heard two years ago that this company had racism issues. I chose to ignore this until I experienced the persecution/closet racism first-hand. The only enjoyable part of this job was the money. Beware if you are a minority working at the corporate office.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Minorities not welcome
Great company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 25, 2017
I enjoyed working at Tate and Lyle. The people I worked with were great. The management was very nice and laid back. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning many administrative responsibilities, such as payroll, new hire paperwork, typing of letters, and so forth.
too much politics
Process Operator III (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ILFebruary 10, 2017
12 hour days in a 3 on 3 off rotating shift for 5 weeks of days and 5 weeks of nights. Seldom does an operator get 3 days off in succession.There is an extremely high turnover rate mostly due to the rotating shifts and, in some areas, headhunters and backstabbers. The area in which i currently work the Day Shift Coordinator is constantly looking for ways to get people fired and has fired close to 70 people in my time there. There are a few operators that do their jobs diligently while others are merely trying to fly under the radar while doing as little as possible. The working operators (go-getters) are at a higher risk of making errors and are not cut any slack by management. Management will over-work these folks and expect less of those that do less. Completely backwards type management. The company is also built on an upside down pyramid. Opportunity for advancement is based on how much or who's boots are licked and not on the merits of work ethics and knowledge. The pay is truly the only upside of being an operator in the plant.
Pros
pay
Cons
middle management is weak
excellent work/family balance
Descriptive Sensory Panelist-Contractor (Former Employee) –  Hoffman Estates, ILJanuary 31, 2017
Employed for two years , as a part time contractor, for the Sensory group. I was not given choice to become a permanent employee. I witnessed many management changes unfortunately there was nepotism.
Pros
free lunches for certain events
Cons
I was not a permanent employee but a contractor.
Great place for college kids to work
Grain Grader (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INDecember 2, 2016
Grade corn and test corn. Some days were more laid back then others. Was a great place To get school work done on slow days!
great to work enjoy the people and the work
Elevator Operator (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILNovember 6, 2016
a typical day at work. Unloading grain trucks general cleaning of the equipment , general knowledge of equipment is taught. Learning different use of the grain and the equipment is taught on a daily . The management is great very knowledgeable of the facility. People I work with are very great to work with. i don't find any part of the job really hard. the best part of the job, getting to interact with the customers. Hearing the stories they tell. And learning different process of the grain
Pros
great hours
Cons
High stress, high reward atmosphere.
Area Resource (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INSeptember 20, 2016
A career where you get out of it what you put into it. Advancement is available to anyone that shows a high degree of involvement and OWNERSHIP in the process. I have been granted upward movement (operator, technician, area resource) over time.
Pros
Good money, responsibility, ownership, self directing in many ways
Cons
Higher than normal stress
Good Money but a Extremely Negative Environment
E&I Technician (Current Employee) –  Loudon, TNSeptember 19, 2016
I would not recommend working here as a lifelong career choice. Come in and make some good money and get out. There are very few tangible rewards for working here other than the money. You work a rotating 12-hour shift of 3 on 3 off.

It is a very negative environment with no real leadership demonstrating and rewarding proper behaviour. No consistency in how policy is administered or enforced so you should learn how to "play the game" early on to survive. It is a cutthroat, got ya culture.

Managers talk a good safety game but the reality is much different. If you get hurt while working it is in your best interest to NOT report it.
Pros
good money
Cons
Poor leadership, redneck culture