TCF Bank Employee Reviews

Found 1,109 reviews matching the search See all 1,123 reviews
fun environment great work pair programming
Java/Api Integration developer (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJuly 16, 2018
TCF bank deals with core banking system. This is a high-quality client-server banking software application covering Retail and corporate banking services. It is highly parameterized to support dynamic nature of customer. It effectively meets the complex needs of the banking industry. It liberates banking operations and takes towards efficient functionality
Good work/personal life balance
Customer Information File Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 15, 2018
There are a lot of good things about TCF. The location is pretty centralized, so no driving way up to the north side of town like a lot of the other banks in town. The dress code is very casual; even supervisors are allowed to wear jeans on a daily basis. Most supervisors are willing to be pretty flexible with your schedule. They will generally let you go to appointments and make up your time later in the week rather than taking PTO. The PTO is pretty generous; you get 16 days per year upon hire, and that amount increases after every 5 years of employment. There are no separate paid sick days. They observe 6 holidays every year that are paid. The management you work with on a daily basis are generally amazing. However, upper management in Minneapolis seem to forget that those of us in Sioux Falls are real people. The worst part about this company is the compensation. They seem to be unwilling to offer pay that is comparable to the other banks in town, and I believe that is the main thing that leads to the incredibly high turnaround. People will come to TCF for 6 months for the experience, then get a job at one of the other banks in town, where they can do basically the same job but get paid a few dollars more. The high turnaround means that you're almost constantly doing more work than you normally should, because there's almost always at least one position open in any of the operations departments. Filling those positions takes a long time, probably also a result of the lower pay, and often supervisors have to provide justification for filling a position that has been vacated.  more... If you are looking for a full-time job with a good work/life balance and a good amount of flexibility, this would be the job for you. But don't expect to be paid much.  less
Pros
flexibility, Pto, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
low pay, upper management
Fun place to work as an Intern
Internship (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJuly 13, 2018
TCF is a great place to begin your banking career. Interns are able to connect with TCF leadership and are given experiences meant to help with advancement.
Company culture is fantastic and people like to attend company events together.
Pros
Opportunities for growth, great location, diverse workplace
Cons
lower pay than other banking institutions
Teller
Teller (Former Employee) –  Chelsea, MIJuly 13, 2018
Worked with customers with their accounts. Made deposits and withdraws for customers. participating in great customer service for each customer and creating new accounts for new customers too.
Would not recommend
Branch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lone Tree, COJuly 7, 2018
Poor management - I had shared a desire to learn more and grow in the company which I got a negative response overall. Branch Assistant manager did not come off as having a lot of people management skills and this could be why a desire to learn and grow was not well received.
Low pay - not competitive in the Denver area.
Pros
Great schedule
Cons
management, training & development
It's a good company
Relationship Banker & Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Excelsior/Saint Cloud/Wayzata, MNJuly 6, 2018
Structured company that likes to hire from within. Provides adequate training, with inadequate compensation. Great opportunity to build a daily routine.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
Did not get paid much
Culture shift
anonymous (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 3, 2018
New IT management and culture shift creating an interesting work environment, unfortunately with that comes growing pains...lots of growing pains. Also, the Plymouth area is a tough commute for public transportation.
Relationship buiding
Branch Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Burr Ridge, ILJune 30, 2018
Lots of upset customers on a daily basis. This job requires a lot of patience and problem solving skills. Financial stability is a ultimately high issue in the world.
Pros
Busy day time goes by fast
Cons
Security risk
I do not choose to write a review summary.
Corporate-Customer Care Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 29, 2018
I do not choose to write a review summary at this time. There appears to be too much management with not enough emphasis or pay for the employees that actually do the real work.
Friendly
BANK TELLER (Former Employee) –  Crystal, MNJune 26, 2018
I loved working at TCF bank because of the relationships I had with my regular clientele and my co workers. I was a Bank Teller in which I handled private financial information, I also had some supervisory duties such as making schedule, and being in charge of the vault key. I also opened and closed accounts.
Pros
Lovely environment
Cons
Lack of growth opportunities
Beginners banking job
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2018
It was fun for my first banking job. Grew within the company within the matter of months. If you can sell you will be promoted fast. That is my personal experience.
Cheap
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJune 25, 2018
Cheap company dealing with cheap customers. A second chance bank, dealing with irresponsible customers and exploiting a lower class of individual. Low paying positions for industry standards.
Unorganized, lacking management
Bank Relationship Represenative (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 25, 2018
The very last manager I had was horrible. TCF lacks the management, and does not care for it's employees. I had a coworker who met his goal and had a superb month, instead of being recognized for his hard work and praised he won a working day for Saturday. The worst part was not even handling the customers' absurd requests or theories on how banks work, it was the management. Personally TCF only cared about numbers. They push sales, even when it is morally conflicting. The best thing of about the job is if you are lucky enough to meet cool coworkers who make you WANT to go to work. If you like to do most of the work and not get paid for it, this is the place for you. Also one last thing, whenever there was an issue to be addressed nothing would happen. Competitively their pay is a lot less than other banks, a manager made less than a teller at a different institution. If you feel like none of this will bother you, go ahead and apply.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
It is a fun environment. That being said, it is very demanding, related to work ethics, multi-tasking, selling skills, and customer service.
Relationship Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILJune 24, 2018
I really like working at TCF Bank. The co-workers are very down to earth, they really want to successed, and see you move up. I would recommend working there.
Great innovators
Incident Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJune 23, 2018
Flexible work time and great communication from top to bottom - no stress atmosphere and great standard of people representing the overall spirit of the company
tcf bank
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNJune 20, 2018
tcf bank was a good company, they are very strict on sales and expect a quota at the end of every day. very competitive and fast paced. it is a great business for business folks
Job Is Bad
Collections Agent (Former Employee) –  Burr Ridge, ILJune 18, 2018
Typical banker mentality. Get the money. Get it fast. Now get more. More money. I want it all. I want it all now! Oh my god it was horrible. Don't work for TCF it's no fun.
horrible working environment
Production Control (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 18, 2018
when I started things were good but over the course of time the management changed for the worse. Became very stressful, a lot of finger pointing and blaming, micromanaging, Just an overall negative atmosphere from the top down. very few of my co-workers enjoyed working there. In my position I was on call and was woken up often several times per night with no comp time.
Respectable company
Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  Wayzata, MNJune 12, 2018
I loved my job here. Everyone is so nice and accommodating whether its helping or coaching or just having to repeat the answer. lol. I was a bit rough around the edges (tried to come up with my own greetings, etc). The company itself is awesome. Most of the employees there have been there more than 20yrs.
Pros
employee recognition, Bonuses, Discounts with multiple businesses and/or programs, People, Customer and employee focused
Cons
Raises when you advance.
Good place
Employee Development/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Burr Ridge, ILJune 6, 2018
great place to start and learn some customer service skills. Training is adequate and continuous. They invest in their employees. It's up to the individual to apply training for success.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TCF Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight