TDS Telecom Employee Reviews

TDS is a great place to work
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIOctober 11, 2018
A typical day at work involves my making outbound calls, sending emails, or answering inbound calls from current or potential customers about their telecom services.
Working at TDS has educated me more about the competitive world of technology between providers all over the US.
I have a great supervisor and peers. I work in a smaller business office so it doesn't feel like a call center at all.
Pros
flexible with time off, great supervisor and staff, working in smaller building, nice hourly wage.
Cons
can't work remote, bonuses are getting harder to hit, not a lot of advancement opportunities
Supervisor Business Billing (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 11, 2018
Great company, excellent pay & benefits, forward thinking company
A place to build a career, not just a job
Many advancement opportunities
Flexibility in hours and work at home potential
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Competitive market
Collaborative, Encouraging workplace
Data Analytics Intern (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 10, 2018
Management at TDS is interested in seeing you succeed! I was given the opportunity to work with tools that are known to drive the analytics field simply to gain experience. I have never felt micro-managed rather they encourage their knowledgeable employees to simply soar. An incredible work-life balance and an amazing group of intelligent, supportive co-workers.
Pros
Multiple ERG groups that support diversity & inclusion
Amazing Culture
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 5, 2018
Working with TDS has been one of the best experiences I've had in my professional career. There are endless opportunities to learn and grow within the organization. TDS actually cares about work/life balance and the happiness of the employees. There is a ton of support from upper management and an open door policy, where you can voice your opinion and have it actually be heard. Truly a great place to work!
Pros
Autonomy, Trust, Potential, Development, Growth, Structure
Changing environment
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 3, 2018
I enjoyed working at TDS initially but it became more stressful as job security has become an increasing concern. The benefits are good and the compensation is competitive.
Always something new going on
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 16, 2018
There was not typical day. It could be analyzing a system change, coding software, testing, solving problems, testing outsourced packages. The workplace culture was pleasant. The hardest part of the job was system testing large changes to software. The most enjoyable part of the job was doing new things all the time.
Pros
flexible time management
Cons
Sometimes long hours
30 people let go for “budget cuts”
Net Ops Support (Former Employee) –  WisconsinJuly 19, 2018
Instead of transferring long term, knowledgeable, dedicated employees to departments/positions that were looking to hire.. Without warning, TDS let go 30 people due to “budget cuts” and then posted on Facebook that they were “thrilled to welcome 20 new interns” the very next day..
Pros
Close to home, good benefits
Cons
Poor management, lack of communication
No Job Security / No advancement opportunities
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 4, 2018
TDS Pay and Benefits are excellent. Outside of that, it is a cutthroat environment and, unless you live in Madison, WI, there are close to zero opportunities afforded to non-Madison residents to advance. Management is very egotistical and treated our office and everyone in it as if we were "beneath" them.

There is little job security. Despite making it 8 years with company, I had to worry almost every day if I would have a job the next. They create a culture of condescension and, essentially, "rule" by fear (using job security as a weapon). Any advancement that is provided is usually decided upon by favoritism. In fact, most recognition within the company is done by favoritism, as well. The culture is very much similar to a Fraternity / Sorority, at times.No matter how professional they attempt to appear, the company is highly unprofessional.
Pros
Pay / Benefits
Cons
Pretty much everything else
variety of work in the field or call center depending on what you are hired for
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Ruidoso, NM, Alamogordo NMAugust 8, 2018
I enjoyed working here and advancing. It was competitive to advance and you really need to advance yourself. The company will not advance you simply for tenure.
It is best if you are located in an area that they have large scale operations in, i.e. Madison WI, Knoxville TN or Bend OR.
They are scaling back operations in remote offices at this time.
Pros
there is a lot of room for growth and opportunity, big company with a lot of different jobs.
Cons
Very cold corporate culture. If your not meeting metrics, your gone. But metrics are reasonable. Overall, this was not a bad experience.
Its a decent place to work at
SYSTEM TECHNICIAN 1 (Current Employee) –  Alamogordo, NM 88310June 4, 2018
Management needs to pay their techs more, especially for the amount of work they do. Its a phone company mentality trying to run a cable business. They're alittle behind in the technology part especially if they want to compete in the cable industry.
Pros
good benefits, lots of travel, you'll learn a lot
Cons
they'll work you. pay stinks, they loose good people because of pay.
TDS Review
Customer Repair Tech II (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 8, 2018
Typical work day: Started at 3 pm ended at 9 pm. Where I'd take as many as 10 or as little as 2 phone calls per day

Management taught me how to eloquently talk to the customers.

Workplace culture is great everyone is friendly.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with irate customers

Most enjoyable part great people relaxed environment.
Pros
Free lunches
Excellent Work Atmosphere
FST (Current Employee) –  Vesper, WIOctober 3, 2018
I have been working at TDS for 1 year now and have no intention to leave. The wages are competitive and the paid time off is very generous. Friendly people to work with. The only complaint I have is the amount of medical premiums, although not bad but TDS could contribute more. The medical coverage itself is good.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
medical premiums
good benefits
Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORJune 30, 2018
They do offer good benefits. It was a good company to work for until I started to have medical issues. Also they are not good with communication. My supervisor was fired and no one thought to tell us.
Fun events such as cookouts
Strategic Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 7, 2018
Great atmosphere to work with, enjoyable staff. Fair but challenging quotas along with a great compensation structure. The culture was very family oriented yet businesslike. Many good benefits along with a solid management team that promoted constant learning opportunities. Challenging yet fun.
Pros
Lunch potlucks once or twice a week
Cons
Sometimes office politics got in the way of sales
Productive working from home
Order Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pequot Lakes, MNAugust 20, 2018
I worked from home for the last two years. I placed many orders per day for our customers. Called the Senior hotline if I had a question. We all worked as a team. If we needed our managers assistance on something is was always hard to get a hold of her as she was constantly in meetings. The hardest part of the job was trying not to make errors & learning so much stuff.
Pros
treat us to lunches, played games, benefits
Very good company to work for
Senior HR Data Analytics Analyst (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 29, 2018
Very good company to work for. I would go back if I was given the opportunity. I enjoyed the culture and working with different departments. They let me me explore new ideas and new way to do things.
Great place to work, Awesome benefits
Consumer Retention Advisor (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 21, 2018
You are on the phones 8 hours a day. You talk to people about all kinds of things but mostly trying to retain customers from leaving the company and going to a competitor company.
Most people work from home so that is a plus and we IM each other all day for team moral.
Hardest part of the job is the customers
Most enjoyable part of the job is when you can make a customers day.
Pros
Pro's Great Benefits, work at home option. 401 K match, Loyal company, I would recommend to anyone
Cons
Con's you have to have a really thick skin. You talk to a lot of negative people all day.
Excellent place to work
Data Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 15, 2018
If I didn't have to move I would absolutely love to stay within this company.

I get to do many different types of projects as a Data Analyst so it's never monotonous. I have now worked with platforms and languages I never had exposure to previously, and they have ample tutorial information on anything you need assistance with. I've never been expected to work more than 40 hours, and I can work from home with relative frequency. My direct supervisor is a very personable and enjoyable guy, and this company has a great 401(k) program as well as other benefits. I truly enjoy my job here.
Average
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  USANovember 5, 2018
The company is growing with acquisitions, however they continue to reduce staff. TDS has become a do more with less environment. This makes the working environment and culture less desirable. .
Auditor Intern (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2018
Work was awesome. Great workplace environment
Great Work/Life Balance