Teach For America Employee Reviews

It was a good experience working at Weill Cornell University. I developed great skills while working at Weill Cornell Uni
Junior Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 13, 2018
It was a good experience working at Teach For America. I developed great skills while working at Teach For America. It was a great experience working at non-profit organization.
Very rough
Special Education and Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 4, 2018
Being a first or second year teacher is challenging. Being a first or second year teacher with minimal training is even more challenging. Burnout is HIGH despite great people with great ambitions at the company.
Wonderful Organization to Work For
Manager, District and School Partnerships (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 2, 2018
Wonderful organization to work for. The culture is amazing. Everyone works for the same purpose and goals. Plenty of room for growth. Sensitive to all cultures and needs.
Welcoming environment, team work essential
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 25, 2018
A typical day for me would start at 10am and end at 10 pm with a hour break and two thirty minute breaks for lunch and dinner.
Everyone was welcoming and it was easy to find my way around and seek help if it was needed.Even though it was hard work and tedious deadlines , the family feel of not feeling alone made it better plus it was for a good cause to spread the equity of education across the world to every group of diverse individuals.
Pros
free-living, free lunch
Cons
short breaks
TFA Corps 2017
Teach for America Corps Member, AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 19, 2018
Teach for America is a nonprofit that recruits mostly college graduates to combat educational systemic inequity in America. Teach for America is a great option for any young professional looking to align themselves with a cause they believe in while also receiving excellent professional training/development.
Fantastic Internship, company needs to improve upon following the mission
Campus Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 13, 2018
Working for TFA really propelled my interest and passion for working to resolve education inequity. I was able to be creative with the duties that were given to me and gained a lot of experience with marketing and event planning that I did not have prior. That being said, if TFA's mission is to assist "diverse" students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds, they should start by hiring more teachers and corporate staff from "diverse" backgrounds that reflect the population that is being served.
Working for Organization
Metro DC Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2018
The mission was great. It was very data-driven, which was good. Unfortunately, work and investment of the teachers were not taken into consideration.
Pros
mission
Cons
development sessions
Mission Driven
School Operations Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2018
I only worked at TFA for a summer, but from what I experienced the organization is mission oriented and works diligently to implement feedback to improve. They also have many structures in place to be fair to all employees.
Intense yet rewarding, outcomes based culture
Senior Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVAugust 18, 2018
The brightest, most passionate and committed diverse group of staff members you'll ever work with. A fast paced, ever changing environment that is ideas for some, challenging for others. Always evolving and improving and open to staff input and feedback.
Pros
fast-paced, great colleagues, rewarding and important mission
Cons
work-life balance challenging; nonprofit compensation
Dealing with difficult circumstances
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 8, 2018
Given the conditions in which Corps Members work, the staff at Teach for America supported Corps Members adequately in most situations. Circumstances vary by region and placement school.
Perfect role for growing in leadership
School Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 6, 2018
TFA's Institute is pretty insane. You will have the opportunity to create, learn, and lead all at the same time. TFA provides Educators with pathways to ensure all children receive a quality education.
Pros
Workplace culture, networking events
Cons
The hours
Fun workplace
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2018
Good experience overall, I would recommend this to others. Learned a lot. Very collaborative workplace environment, I enjoyed it overall. Salary is not ideal.
Great place to work.
Faculty Advisor/ Mentor Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 25, 2018
Great summer job. I learned a lot from mentoring fresh new teachers. The staff was amazing. I loved the program set up and how the teachers get feedback.
High Stress
Educator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 24, 2018
Very stressful. Takes a specific type of person to complete their committment here. However, it's a good experience if you want to experience a high stress job with a built-in support network.
Okay place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 21, 2018
It's good if you want to be around preppy people all the time. A typical day is working with teachers to help them teach minority students. However, the problems is that most of the teachers don't even look like the students they are teaching nor do they want to learn empathy
Upper Management are Spin Doctors
Member (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 8, 2018
Great concept, run by inexperienced managers who have no idea about teaching. They are trying to overhaul now, I hear, which is great. This company should be amazing. But it's not.
Cons
Disorganization
Fast-paced and entrepreneurial
Senior Managing Director of Development Strategy (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2018
Co-workers and management are incredibly bright and motivated. There is an energy that people want to achieve something greater than themselves and they are driven by the organization's mission. Work environment is open-space, which has its pros and cons, but does promote a great deal of collaboration among staff.
Great Way to Start a Teaching Career
2015 Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 10, 2018
If you are willing to work hard and are dedicated, Teach For America is a great way to start your career in teaching. It isn't easy at all ... but it is worth every single minute that you put into the program.
Poor Management and Lack of Support
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2018
TFA is an organization with big aspirations and goals, but they are consistently setting up their corps members for failure. Although I thought I'd be making a difference and receive the support I needed, it became clear that I would receive no help.
Great experience.
Teacher Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 28, 2018
This was my introduction to teaching and a wonderful experience. As a career changer, TFA gave me an opportunity to get started in the classroom and continue my teaching certification.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teach For America. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

56out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Teach For America.

Powered by Comparably