Teach For America
67Average

Teach For America Employee Reviews

United States391 reviews
Hard work, Benefits are great
You really need to be passionate about it in order to persevere through all of the difficulties, but the benefits of seeing students grow in your content area, along with the grant that you can receive to put toward your student loans can be amazing.
Great mission, great team, great development
I worked at TFA from 2007-2011 and 2014-18 in a variety of roles. TFA is a great organization to work for. Like any place else, it's imperfect, but it really, really tries and cares about its employees. It actively works toward diversity, equity and inclusion, provides ample support and training for its staff and pays fairly. I've worked at other places outside of TFA and it has never been as great at TFA, even when I got paid more. Highly recommend working here to grow your career and have an impact.
Great place to work at but very challenging
Working at Teach for America, you should expect it to be extremely challenging, but rewarding. You are very supported throughout the whole experience by Teach for America.
Supportive Work Environment
During my time at Teach for America, I felt listened to, and I felt united with my coworkers with a common goal. I felt that the staff members were genuine and motivated to fight towards education equity.
Forward thinking work environment
Teach for America offers corp members the opportunity to learn and grow professionally and personally through their placement program. TFA corp members must rise to the challenge to offer an equitable education to all students using the tools and resources provided by TFA.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Supportive and innovative...
Management is extremely helpful. Also, the company is transparent with clear timelines and expectations. I would recommend working here to anyone who is interested.
Tfa
Overall, flexible and supportive. It is a great place to grow in leadership. There are plenty of leadership development opportunities and the added bonus of a coach as a manager. They really center your overall growth more than anything.
Challenging and rewarding work
I learned so much about myself as a person and about the racial landscape of our country. Not only did I learn valuable skills of management and organization, I also learned what effects our students on the day-to-day. Interpersonal skills and creating relationships with both parents and students are some of the most valuable.
Good way to start your career in education
Like any organization, you get what you put in. It was an enjoyable experience to serve with this organization. I have learned, overall, how to balance work and life, and I also gain real-world experience.
Little Support and Training to Teach in Most Demanding Educator Position
I would not recommend applying for TFA and would instead encourage you to look at local post-bacc programs for careers in education or apprenticeship programs. TFA is very disorganized and offers no meaningful support and training before throwing you into some of the most difficult schools and positioonss
Cons
No work life balance, no adequate training, no support, no pay for summer, in debt due to college course requirements, and have been threatened by students
Intense
You must be driven by a passion to serve and intense commitment. It is very difficult when you first start out but you will have the necessary supports to succeed.
Good way to start career
I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience with Teach for America. It was a good route to take right out of college and has opened many doors for me. There are many problems with the program and its effectiveness however.
Not prepared
This job is way too intense for people that have very little teaching experiencing. They are throwing unqualified young adults fresh out of college into situations they are not prepared for.

However, this job is so rewarding. I feel like I'm making a difference every single day.
Tough, but rewarding
It's a very difficult job with little to no training. It's definitely rewarding, but it is also very draining. Overall, I would recommend it to anybody interested in pursuing teaching as a profession as it is a good way to see if you enjoy it or not.
I grew so much in my leadership while working at TFA
The most enjoyable part of the job was the dynamic team of leaders I got to work with and learn from as we strived towards are goals for the city of Los Angeles.
Positive Personal Experience with Mixed Feelings about Success of the Program
My experience with TFA and my experience with the school in which I worked were disjointed. TFA prepares its corp members (CM's) for teaching students rigorous and on level content. The schools in which CM's teach are not necessarily conducive for that preparation - I.E., a lot of the PD you receive at TFA is not aligned with the experience you're living at your placement school.
Great part-time position for educators
I've loved working with Teach For America. You need to be self-motivated, organized, and comfortable presenting to adults. The teachers you support also need a lot of help with classroom management techniques.
Reward, thought difficult work supported by strong leadership
Teaching is hard. Collecting additional data for TFA is hard. Meeting extraordinarily high expectations is hard. It's all worth it to see the student results and the learning that takes place. Keeping up with plans, grades, and development becomes overwhelming, but the TFA staff is encourages, empathetic, and will ultimately help people meet the needs of the children we serve. Great organization. Great experience.
Pros
Tons of feedback, decent swag, lots of free professional development, fantastic professional network
Cons
The usual difficulties that come with teaching middle school
Learning experience
The positives and negatives you've heard are all true. Many people feel unprepared and unsupported but you can also find just the opposite. Most people I know through TFA had a difficult time but would not take it back. Apply with that in mind.
Focus on self-care when you need it
Don't be ashamed of requesting time for self-care. Be sure to seek guidance from experienced teachers to help you through your first year. Good luck!!
Flexible and mission-based organization
I enjoy the flexibility of working remotely or also going into the regional office. This organization is committed to diversity & inclusion and ensures all staff engage in critical dialogue surrounding this topic. I find great pride and energy around working for an organization deeply committed to closing the achievement gap and ensure equity in education for all kids in our nation.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teach For America. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.4Personal Development
4.0Career Opportunities
4.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight