Teach For America Employee Reviews

Continuously looking to improve
Manager, Teacher Leadership Development (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 4, 2018
Overall, Teach For America has the best intentions with their mission. However, in our world today, intentions aren’t good enough in order to move our culture forward. Depending on what team one is on (national v. regional), what their role is, and who their manager is could completely change the experience one has while working at Teach For America. While this is true for many organizations, the politics that I experienced at Teach For America didn’t align with the mission of the organization.
Pros
Collaborative work, diverse conferences around the country
Cons
Politics in the workplace, personal strengths were not utilized, excessive team transitions
Challenging and fast-paced. A true test of perseverance and character.
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 29, 2018
Teach for America is a two-year commitment to serve in underprivileged schools in cities across the United States. While they made the transition to moving to a new city relatively smooth for me socially and professionally, they vastly underprepared new teachers to work in the schools they work with.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Very difficult and stressful day to day lifestyle
Poor Placement
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 27, 2018
TFA sells you a lot of hopes and dreams, none of which were actually true once I signed my life over for the next 2 years. Promised compensation delayed or never occurred. I was placed in a school that actually lost its accreditation prior to the start of the year, and was under-enrolled to even provide jobs to corps members. I waited over a month to be allowed to actually enter the classroom, once there I found why they school lost its status. I was over ratio, and expected to teach a rotating number of children aged 2-6 usually alone.
Can either go wonderfully or horribly
Teacher and Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 10, 2018
Where you are placed really makes a difference. Overall the job is wonderful but do not underestimate how hard this job is. I knew it was going to be difficult but nothing prepares you for this. That being said, it is a lie changing wonderful experience.
Run from TFA
Teacher (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 3, 2018
This institution will suck you dry and leave you with nothing.
They summer training is long and unpaid, not to mention partially traumatic.
They lower level management is nice but they have no power.
The hardest part of the job is how thankless it is.
Pros
Cons
There is no money and way too much work.
Memphis region of TFA
corps member (Former Employee) –  MemphisNovember 2, 2018
Each region for Teach for America is different. Corps members in Memphis participate in a regional institute, which makes it easier to make friends and acclimate to your new home. Continuing education through professional developments with Teach for America are rooted in taking theory immediately to practice.
Laid back smart but youthful culture
Manager, Culture (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCOctober 17, 2018
TFA was a great place to work. The national team does a really good job of managing and stewarding resources. The benefits were excellent. The hardest part of the job was dealing with grant compliance.
Pros
free lunches, opportunities for learning
Cons
travel within the region put too many miles on my car
It was a good experience working at Weill Cornell University. I developed great skills while working at Weill Cornell Uni
Junior Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 13, 2018
It was a good experience working at Teach For America. I developed great skills while working at Teach For America. It was a great experience working at non-profit organization.
Very rough
Special Education and Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 4, 2018
Being a first or second year teacher is challenging. Being a first or second year teacher with minimal training is even more challenging. Burnout is HIGH despite great people with great ambitions at the company.
Wonderful Organization to Work For
Manager, District and School Partnerships (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 2, 2018
Wonderful organization to work for. The culture is amazing. Everyone works for the same purpose and goals. Plenty of room for growth. Sensitive to all cultures and needs.
Welcoming environment, team work essential
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 25, 2018
A typical day for me would start at 10am and end at 10 pm with a hour break and two thirty minute breaks for lunch and dinner.
Everyone was welcoming and it was easy to find my way around and seek help if it was needed.Even though it was hard work and tedious deadlines , the family feel of not feeling alone made it better plus it was for a good cause to spread the equity of education across the world to every group of diverse individuals.
Pros
free-living, free lunch
Cons
short breaks
TFA Corps 2017
Teach for America Corps Member, AmeriCorps Member (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 19, 2018
Teach for America is a nonprofit that recruits mostly college graduates to combat educational systemic inequity in America. Teach for America is a great option for any young professional looking to align themselves with a cause they believe in while also receiving excellent professional training/development.
Fantastic Internship, company needs to improve upon following the mission
Campus Campaign Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLSeptember 13, 2018
Working for TFA really propelled my interest and passion for working to resolve education inequity. I was able to be creative with the duties that were given to me and gained a lot of experience with marketing and event planning that I did not have prior. That being said, if TFA's mission is to assist "diverse" students from lower socioeconomic backgrounds, they should start by hiring more teachers and corporate staff from "diverse" backgrounds that reflect the population that is being served.
Working for Organization
Metro DC Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2018
The mission was great. It was very data-driven, which was good. Unfortunately, work and investment of the teachers were not taken into consideration.
Pros
mission
Cons
development sessions
Mission Driven
School Operations Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 9, 2018
I only worked at TFA for a summer, but from what I experienced the organization is mission oriented and works diligently to implement feedback to improve. They also have many structures in place to be fair to all employees.
Intense yet rewarding, outcomes based culture
Senior Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVAugust 18, 2018
The brightest, most passionate and committed diverse group of staff members you'll ever work with. A fast paced, ever changing environment that is ideas for some, challenging for others. Always evolving and improving and open to staff input and feedback.
Pros
fast-paced, great colleagues, rewarding and important mission
Cons
work-life balance challenging; nonprofit compensation
Dealing with difficult circumstances
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 8, 2018
Given the conditions in which Corps Members work, the staff at Teach for America supported Corps Members adequately in most situations. Circumstances vary by region and placement school.
Perfect role for growing in leadership
School Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 6, 2018
TFA's Institute is pretty insane. You will have the opportunity to create, learn, and lead all at the same time. TFA provides Educators with pathways to ensure all children receive a quality education.
Pros
Workplace culture, networking events
Cons
The hours
Fun workplace
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2018
Good experience overall, I would recommend this to others. Learned a lot. Very collaborative workplace environment, I enjoyed it overall. Salary is not ideal.
Great place to work.
Faculty Advisor/ Mentor Teacher (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 25, 2018
Great summer job. I learned a lot from mentoring fresh new teachers. The staff was amazing. I loved the program set up and how the teachers get feedback.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teach For America. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Teach For America.

Powered by Comparably