Teach For America Employee Reviews

Tfa
Corps member (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 15, 2019
I love Teach for America. It is a great organization that I love to work for. The Summer Institute was a very stressful but rewarding time. I would recommend this job to anyone who wants to become a teacher.
program director
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 13, 2019
worked with educators and schools to maximize impact in the classroom to best serve children in need. Work as part of a team and allowed for growth and potential to advance.
Inexperienced Leaders Over Their Heads Pursuing A Good Goal
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 12, 2019
TFA has excellent recruiters, interviewers, and I thought trainers until I was placed and quickly saw that the hours of trading had zero to do with the real world I had stepped into. Unfortunately, caveat emptor — they paint a picture that is detached from reality. So, right out of the gate you have a large percentage of new hires (some taking out TFA sponsored loans to relocate) whom quickly realize the disconnect between what they were told and reality. The schools that you are placed at our troubled, and I haven’t heard of one in my large area that even recognized TFA as anything other than a political outfit that thinks “they are going to bring their young folk in here and show us how to do our job.” In some cases, they have a point - TFA is just in over its head pursuing its objectives. It needs to a thorough change in leadership that pursues input from their employees and ongoing considers tweaks to their model.
Pros
Generally, all on our team in our general area were good, hard working, well intention folk
Cons
Out of pocket costs to certify (can be near $20k), TFA leaders seemed to have no prior leadership experience, and coordinate the biggest bundled attempt at good that I’ve ever witnessed
You will learn a lot very quickly
Vice President, Campus Recruitment (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 10, 2019
TFA hires exceptionally talented individuals who do the work or several people. Employees are mission-driven and are usually willing to work more than the standard hours to get the job done. Flexible work hours and remote work allow this to be done while still maintaining work/life balance. But, work/life balance is only achieved after several years, after you master your role.
Pros
Remote work, flexible hours, mission-driven
Cons
taking lunch breaks and breaks during the day are very uncommon
Unprofessional and bias
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2019
They are prejudice towards minority candidates and don't even care about their students. This is why our system is falling apart they hand pick these up unqualified teachers who can't relate.
Pros
Cons
A lot
Exciting work for the committed
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaFebruary 3, 2019
I loved the additional support I had in my classroom thanks to the incredible people from Teach For America South Carolina. From the first day in the classroom, the people I worked with in TFA SC helped me to feel confident in tackling the challenge of being a first year teacher. Word to the wise, teaching is only for those who are dedicated to working hard and making learning better for the students you serve!
Mission Focused
Librarian, K (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 21, 2019
It was quite eyeopening experience not having the skills and abilities I needed but yet had to perform each day. I enjoyed the fast pace but it was sometimes quite difficult to navigate.
Tough Tough Tough but Worth It!
Corps Member and Volunteer Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NCJanuary 19, 2019
Teach for America does everything they can to support your placement in a difficult school and help you achieve real results with your students in two years. They also help alumni maintain as much of a presence as they are willing to commit to in the mission of improving public education.
Pros
Mission driven work, great community building, involved mentorship
Cons
Long hours, high learning curve
Horrible leadership and blatant hypocrisy
Educator (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJanuary 17, 2019
This organization apparently seeks only minority, low income, and disenfranchised communities to reach.

For the massive work ahead, prospective teachers should consider a more traditional approach to educational training. TFA is geared towards making the majority feel empathetic to people of color.

I prefer traditional teaching training that taught prospective teachers how to impact all students, not just those of color.
Pros
Great connections that can be long lasting
Cons
Incompetent leadership
Great Place to Work and Grow
Senior Managing Director (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 15, 2019
TFA became my home job...the place where I learned, grew, became a leader, and made life-long friends and had impact. Although I moved on to other opportunities, I declared that it was a place I hoped to work at again.
Positive
Director of Middle School Excellence (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 14, 2019
Working at Teach for America has been my most formative career experience. Teach for America is a highly mission driven organization with brilliant colleagues and inspirational corps members at the heart of the work.
Stressful yet rewarding
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 13, 2019
Your typical work day is filled with stress and an excess amount of work that will keep you busy. However, the camaraderie and satisfaction you receive from the people you work with and the students you work for makes it all worth it.
Don't do it if you actually want to be a teacher
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 9, 2019
Very good marketing and leadership to make you feel like you're going to have an impact. Unfortunately you learn you'll have little to no power at your placement school only after you've committed to classes for certification and loans to help you move, and if you get one with bad management or a bad HR department TFA disappears and offers you no support as they'd rather keep relationships with the districts they work in than actually care about employees being wronged. Expect to put in about 60 hours per work at your job, and an additional 10-15 hours a week for additional TFA busywork and coursework for a certificate. TFA management is unable to handle any situation that is even slightly out of the norm and may end up in you losing out on compensation or even not getting a job after an entire summer of unpaid training.
Pros
Good connections if you plan to go to grad school and can afford to hate your life for 2 years
Cons
low pay per hours worked, terrible healthcare, verbal and sometimes physical abuse at work, general lack of competence from TFA management
Teach For America
Teacher in Training (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2019
It is what you make of it. It is not easy, but it challenges you as a person and as a professional. They definitely open your eyes and mind. It is more than a two-year commitment.
Pros
The relationships you form.
Cons
Not for the weak of heart or mind.
Committed to Education Equity and Corps Member Personal and Professional Development
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 3, 2019
Program is greatly commitment to ending education inequity and does all that it can to support corps members at their placement schools. TFA Indy also does a lot for corps member personal and professional development, career services, and generally does what they can to ensure all of their corps members succeed after their commitment in whatever they choose to do.
Close knit network
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 2, 2019
Great place to start teaching. Great quality mentor-ship, fellow alumni are great and fun to work with. High turnover of staff is a big negative. TFA also treats you as if you're in the army.
Review of Teach for America
TFA Corp Member, High School Math/Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Warrenton, NCDecember 11, 2018
Working for Teach for America as an educator is one of the most fulfilling experiences a person can do. This type of job is not for someone to make a lot of money, you do this job for the impact you make on the students you work with. It is challenging and time consuming, but all the time and effort put into the job is worthwhile.
Run!
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 10, 2018
I would never recommend TFA to anyone. They are consumed with data that does not exist. Teaching is already challenging enough, but the TFA staff adds SO MUCH extra work.
Pros
Cons
It was legitimately the worst experience of my life
CCC Position was great - working in the corps isn't....
CAMPUS CAMPAIGN COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 6, 2018
All they are concerned with is data and there is little to no support because everyone is doing their own things. they all have great intentions, but it's basically like you're in it alone.
Continuously looking to improve
Manager, Teacher Leadership Development (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTDecember 4, 2018
Overall, Teach For America has the best intentions with their mission. However, in our world today, intentions aren’t good enough in order to move our culture forward. Depending on what team one is on (national v. regional), what their role is, and who their manager is could completely change the experience one has while working at Teach For America. While this is true for many organizations, the politics that I experienced at Teach For America didn’t align with the mission of the organization.
Pros
Collaborative work, diverse conferences around the country
Cons
Politics in the workplace, personal strengths were not utilized, excessive team transitions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teach For America. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

80%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

88%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss