Teach For America Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2018
Good experience overall, I would recommend this to others. Learned a lot. Very collaborative workplace environment, I enjoyed it overall. Salary is not ideal.
High Stress
Educator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 24, 2018
Very stressful. Takes a specific type of person to complete their committment here. However, it's a good experience if you want to experience a high stress job with a built-in support network.
Okay place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 21, 2018
It's good if you want to be around preppy people all the time. A typical day is working with teachers to help them teach minority students. However, the problems is that most of the teachers don't even look like the students they are teaching nor do they want to learn empathy
Upper Management are Spin Doctors
Member (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 8, 2018
Great concept, run by inexperienced managers who have no idea about teaching. They are trying to overhaul now, I hear, which is great. This company should be amazing. But it's not.
Cons
Disorganization
Fast-paced and entrepreneurial
Senior Managing Director of Development Strategy (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2018
Co-workers and management are incredibly bright and motivated. There is an energy that people want to achieve something greater than themselves and they are driven by the organization's mission. Work environment is open-space, which has its pros and cons, but does promote a great deal of collaboration among staff.
Great Way to Start a Teaching Career
2015 Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 10, 2018
If you are willing to work hard and are dedicated, Teach For America is a great way to start your career in teaching. It isn't easy at all ... but it is worth every single minute that you put into the program.
Poor Management and Lack of Support
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2018
TFA is an organization with big aspirations and goals, but they are consistently setting up their corps members for failure. Although I thought I'd be making a difference and receive the support I needed, it became clear that I would receive no help.
Great experience.
Teacher Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 28, 2018
This was my introduction to teaching and a wonderful experience. As a career changer, TFA gave me an opportunity to get started in the classroom and continue my teaching certification.
Teach for America is an important non-profit
First Grade Classroom Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 22, 2018
Incredibly challenging. Organized. Exhausting. High Expectations. Huge workload. Support staff in your area and make or break your experience. Best decision and best work of my life.
Fast-paced, expect to struggle your first year
Corps Member (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 15, 2018
Teach For America is an organization with good intentions, but needs to grow in the ways it chooses to develop and prepare its first-year teachers. The first year of teaching with this organization was extremely stressful, but if you're a resilient person and know when to ask for help, you'll find a way to make it to your second year (which is a lot more enjoyable).
Nice
Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 11, 2018
Good place for starting teaching careers. I worked as an intern. I love the environment. They are very friendly. They always help to solve problem. I loved working there.
Fast paced organization doing cutting edge work
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2018
I have worked at TFA for 10 years on 2 teams and in various roles. Overall, TFA is a leader in terms of recruitment, selection, and cultivation of talent, as well as the learning and development (especially Diversity, Equity, and Inclusiveness) of staff and corps members.
Pros
Pros include ability to take on significant responsibilities and have a lasting impact on kids, teachers, and communities. Relatively small red tape, so changes can be pushed through easily.
Cons
Cons include multiple years of layoffs and evolving team structures, which can cause uncertainty for staff.
Great place to begin a career
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 21, 2018
Most people who work for Teach For America were past corps members themselves, and it provides an easy transition from the classroom to the non-profit world.
Good!
Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 20, 2018
Teach For America did a great job at placing me at a school that really needed me, and I enjoyed teaching there for five (rather than the minimum requirement of two) years.
Competitive Teacher Training and Placement Organization
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2018
Teach For America is a competitive, fast-paced organization that seeks to place the most highly qualified college alums into high stakes teaching environment in low-income and under-resourced communities across the united states.
Pros
Excellent networking opportunity
Cons
You will be giving up two years of your life
Very challenging but creative and extremely collaborative opportunity
Charter Corps Member, Roosevelt High School (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 17, 2018
I was a Special Education teacher; I was responsible for teaching World History and Career English. I learned how to effectively teach complicated lessons in creative ways. The workplace culture was very collaborative. The most enjoyable part of my job was connecting with students who were not adequately supported in their educational endeavors.
Pros
Collaborative environment
Tfa
Corps Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 9, 2018
A lot of these questions don't really apply to this, as it an unpaid position through Americorps. There was no compensation or benefits. They did not really "employ" me, as I worked as a teacher in the Buffalo D
NYC failing school
Americorps member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2018
NYC schools are failing due to bad management and lack of care for the kids.
Great at the Start, Disastrous Towards the End
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2018
In the beginning: great mission, great team, great work/life balance. Then, an ill-equipped CIO was hired, followed by a host of under-performing staff, bad policies, mismanagement and abuses of authority and policy. For the sake of the (few) good people remaining I've given the place three stars, however, there was really nothing good left in the company by the time I resigned. The environment deteriorated so much that my resignation was more like a constructive firing: no human could expect to suffer the indignities that become the reigning culture.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Mismanagement and poor leadership
What is "Me Time"?
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 17, 2018
Difficult to maintain work/life balance as the job requires an insurmountable amount of work. TFA does however have excellent supports in place to further prossional development.
Pros
The mission, the kids
Cons
Mostly everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teach For America. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

80%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

60%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss