Teacher Retirement System of Texas

Teacher Retirement System of Texas Employee Reviews

United States15 reviews
Okay
Okay workplace, however the work environment is a bit micromanaged at times. Management in my department did not care and would barely speak to the employees.
Loved working for TRS
This was the best job I have ever had. I regret leaving here. I was approached by a former coworker to switch companies and I left TRS. If I could do it over I never would have left.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Promotions and raises are hard to come by
Authentic value-add culture, mission-based
8-5
constant training and improvement

management is confident, autonomous

great candid, open culture

setting own goals, strategies and following up

love the service to active and retired teachers
Pros
work-life balance
Cons
Growing agency with a focus on member-service and improvement
TRS is a diverse group of individuals that are here to serve the public education employees throughout the State of Texas. Whether you work in customer service, investments, or shared services, there is a deep commitment to the membership that we serve. TRS isn't the same place as when I began working here but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. TRS has grown over the years and is going through some major changes but it is all in an effort to continually enhance the services and retirement security that we provide to the 1.6 million members of our system.

Being an agency of the state of Texas, there are some limits on the perks that can be provided but pay is competitive and management is constantly evaluating pay scales to make sure that we remain relevant in the hyper-competitive Austin market. Remote work is actively being rolled out in various departments to help with the dreaded Austin commute.

There are opportunities for individuals to move within the agency but you will be expected to work for those opportunities and to constantly exhibit outstanding performance and dedication to the core values.
Exhausting job with little room for growth.
Expectations: You come in for 8 hours a day and talk on the phones about retirement or other TRS processes and troubleshoot issues.

Reality: You come in for 8ish (possibly more depending on the shift) hours a day and it's an incredibly random day...but it's usually on the more uncomfortable/depressing side of random. Maybe 0-5 calls in queue at anytime, maybe 200.

The training process was mediocre and there's a lot of information that you are expected to digest, but it is definitely "doable". Unfortunately, it really doesn't translate on the phone, as there is plenty they leave out.

You will wear many hats in this job. People will call to ask you every question under the sun, about TRS and about the most random things that are very un-TRS related. Sometimes you get the lighter side of things: People excitedly ready to retire, a happy retiree who just wanted legislation updates, or someone who just needs some forms sent out. Sometimes you get the darker side of things: people who threaten your life, those who want to steal their families members money, or those who may or may not have dementia and don't have anyone to help them navigate issues with their account.

Note: You will get yelled at or thrown large amounts of snarkiness on mostly daily basis. People like money, I get that... but often times, people seem to forget that they are talking to a real person on the other line. Learn to breathe in deep before applying. People fail to understand that government organizations are slow and 'shooting the messenger' will not fix things unless all boxes are checked.
 - more...
Pros
Paid holidays, vacation time, work hours are (mostly) standard, the very cheap, pretty tasty cafeteria, the other counselors are a smart and capable bunch that are great to work with.
Cons
Lack of communication from other departments and management, insufficient training, lack of standardized protocol.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
If you value people do not work here
TRS not only treats it employees terrible it also withholds benefits from the people that pay into the system. Working for TRS was the worst experience of my life. I would rather not have a job than work there ever again.
Cons
Best internship experience ever!
During the summer of 2018 I was hired as an intern for the risk management department. The typical day of work started at 7:00-8:00 am and finished around 4:00-5:00 pm. All departments have different daily tasks, but all include individual and collaborative work. The culture at TRS is amazing. Everyone you encounter will make you feel welcome. Even executives will treat you with the upmost respect.
Pros
Location, Management, Paid Training
Low pay, poor management
Employees are not promoted based on their skills or qualifications. Management refuses to exercise judgment or fulfill this essential role for performance evaluations. Pay is low (which is to be expected at a state agency) however, the state pay scale should be revisited and employee pay should reflect performance.
Poor management
Need better management and better employee to work with. Benefits were great. Lots of time off. Mon thru Friday. No weekends. Great employees to work with.
Pros
Great benefits time off
Cons
Better management
It's not what it used to be
If you like to be micromanaged and constantly nitpicked over small stuff, this is the place for you. It's changed over the past two years. New management doesn't really care about the employees, only about advancing their careers. When you bring issues to upper management or even Human Resources, it gets swept under the rug and nothing gets done or that employee get labeled a troublemaker.
Pros
Lots of extra time off
Cons
Everything else
Private sector employees need not apply
TRS is not really interested in a diverse workforce. They only seem to want state agency clones who have done the same thing, the same way at the same old boring agencies. You could be a subject matter expert from the private sector, but managers don't want those innovative solutions to their redundant processes.
Pros
Free on-site parking
Cons
Poor management
Good if you like being treated like a piece of furniture
Lots of cliques; lots of people who horde knowledge and make you grovel to get them to do their job; Dept & Agency management condescending; state benefits keep getting worse; mid-management the worst example of passive-aggressive terror management; Dept & Agency management offer trivial perks that are more akin to Make-A-Wish efforts to make you forget you're in a dead-end job and not a solution to workplace apathy; Dept & Agency management seem to be more concerned about their own careers and being sure to find scape goats than actually finding real solutions to problems.
Pros
covered parking (I know weak)
Cons
Internal politics that prevent service improvement or professional or personal development
Good work life balance
TRS give you lots of time off. For the most part things run smoothly. I have no real complaints.

Some of the people are not so friendly.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Lots of clique
Hardworking and friendly staff, constantly learning
Welcoming and warm staff, ready to assist, teach, and learn at all times. Training is well-organized and individually based over a long period of time, ensuring full knowledge of the retirement process. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing results in your individual work and acquiring greater analytical/problem-solving skills. Also a very fast-growing company.
Cohesive state agency with great benefits and security.
TRS is a supportive and friendly work environment. Great benefits and a supportive management team create a stable work environment and ample opportunities to learn new skills. I had a great internship but unfortunately was unable to maintain my position. That is the one down side to this organization; most people enjoy their positions and stay so long vacancies can be sparse.
Pros
One of the friendliest places I've ever worked, supportive management, security if you can get hired.
Cons
Difficult to find permanent position, not the highest paid job.