Teachers College, Columbia University Employee Reviews

Teachers college is a good place to work
Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2018
i leaned a lot from working at teachers college you get free food if you work there students and employee was nice you learn about culinary art i like it alot
Pros
Cons
15 minute break or hour lunch
An exciting a productive workplace
Executive Director of External Affairs (Former Employee) –  New York City, NYJune 25, 2018
The mornings were filled with spending time fielding telephone calls from the media. I was able to build a good relationship with the press and so I fielded many questions and set interviews for the president and faculty.

I learned a great deal how to promote the college as well as provide the right hooks for a story.

Our weekly executive meetings were both filled with work and enjoyable and that was because the president was a hard working but also a man with a sparkling personality.

The hardest part of her job was keeping lines of communication open with the rest of the members of the executive committee. There were jealousies that prevented good communication.
Pros
Am exciting college to work for with a progressive leadership
Cons
An executive committee that had difficulty getting along
Teachers College is an excellent college
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 15, 2018
Teachers college is an excellent college. I received my Ed D and worked as a lecturer until I graduated. I learned how to write with the mentorship of the chair of the Department, for which I am grateful
Pros
inspiring colleagues
Cons
non
Tc
Clinical Psychology Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 1, 2018
Honestly, the people at your job seem to forget the you're also a student. I used to work t the bursar's office and whenever I was doing schoolwork on school day, the supervisor would get annoyed. I was let go through phone call during the christmas holidays. They called me t 11pm. If this not professional, then I don't know what is.
Its a big place with interesting stuff happening
Adjunct Instructor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 28, 2018
This was a great experience. There are so many departments that things get convoluted and easily disorganized or lost in the system so it is definitely helpful to make friends and network so people can help you navigate it.
I worked as a programmer/analyst for 9 years
principal IT support person for The Raiser's Edge (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2018
I worked as a programmer/analyst for 9 years. I wrote SQL and coded in VBA and VB.NET. I also worked with ServiceNow. I gathered user requirements and wrote documentation.
Opportunity for professional growth
Director of Facilities (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2018
I was assigned as Director of Facilities. My duties encompassed management of all facets of the operation from housekeeping to engineering. Union staff were College employees
Pros
Location and history
Cons
some shortsightedness
great place to be
Events & Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 21, 2017
Best Job I've had to date. People are generally very smart and knowledgeable. Leadership has been in place for a while so they know what they are talking about.
Pros
enriched work culture, fantastic people
Cons
insurance cost too much, people never leave so it is hard to get promoted.
Fast-paced development culture but with room for growth
Development & External Affairs Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2017
Development and fundraising is a tough field and TC certainly is no exception. The office has a lot of room for improvement, especially when it comes to disseminating work appropriately, but if you're fortunate to have understanding and competent supervisors who are passionate about education, you'll learn a great deal and survive.
Pros
Room for growth overtime, networking opportunities, high-end events to work and attend
Cons
The culture doesn't support work-life balance, Balance of work and power are off
Depends on the department
Networking and Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2017
Working at TC depends on the department you are in. If you are in a good department things will be fine. TC has transitioned over the years. Since I left I could not tell you how the culture is.
team work
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 21, 2017
Participate in various research projects and seminars such as a series on music education. Conduct social media marketing campaign for organization projects and products
Wonderful academic/research work with great learning opportunity
Senior Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2017
I worked at the Center for Benefit-Cost Studies of Education at Teachers College, Columbia University. It is a wonderful place for graduate students and research fellows. Research projects are diverse and pioneering, working culture encourages collaboration and inspires thinking of my own research area.
Decent pay, stagnant
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 24, 2017
Good job for someone right out of college. decent pay, enough to live alone or with one roommate.

Not a lot of growth. They hire rom the outside so upward growth will take years unless your here working on your advanced degrees.

Good benefits, medical, dental, vision all free. Can take12 credits a year.
benefits
Cons
no upward mobility
Great people, great place!
Executive Assistant to the Vice President (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 4, 2017
Great people, great place! Hard work and diligence required. Excellent, knowledgeable colleagues provided. I would recommend TC to any applicant.
Great Program
Leadership Development Workshop Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 11, 2017
I worked as an assistant for Teachers College of Columbia's Leadership Development program where I helped students from the People's Republic of China excel in leadership exercises.
Fun workplace
Painter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 10, 2017
Chance to move up
Flexible schedule
People are helpful and fun to work with
Always willing to help in teaching if needed
Comfortable atmosphere
Work life Balance
Supervisor/Lead of Custodial Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 27, 2016
At Teachers College, we care about our employees and students. We believe that everyone regardless of status and or title deserve respect, so we do our best by being selfless to our clients .

Managers and coworkers alike are friendly and respectful. We view and value Teachers College as shareholders do. The hardest part of my day is getting everything ready so that our clients are comfortable when their arrive. The most enjoyable part of my day is seeing our clients happy even when they are stress. We do our bless so they don't have to worry.
Pros
Educational benefits, early fridays closing duringsummers times
Cons
short breaks, slow growth in compesation
Work description
Tech assistant (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYDecember 7, 2015
Over the summer I work at Teachers College, Columbia University with the tech staff doing AV for events. A typical day starts at 6:30 AM and ends at 3 PM. I learned more about being maintaining a professional image and got better with my people skills. My co-workers are absolutely amazing. Over the years I have come to create a family like bond with them. The most enjoyable part of the job is running around helping with tech, and doing what I love. Also, working with some of the most amazing people I've met. The management is well organized and very supportive.
Wonderful working environment
Academic Secretary (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2015
Great teamwork atmosphere. My department really deals with everyone with respect and courtesy. The staff is always there for each other
Pros
Understanding supervisor
Cons
not enough room for advancement
it was good
Editorial and Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2015
nice boss . hectic work style. always was running to the job done. Co-worker were nice. made magazine and published magazines.