Teachers On Call Employee Reviews

Teachers on call
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIAugust 19, 2019
The job was fine. Flexible and you could build your own schedule. It is what it is, substitute teaching. I have nothing more to say about it but I have to fill 150 characters and it's dumb.
Subbing is an interesting prospect to begin with but the company helped me to find the right districts for me.
Guest Teacher/ Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNAugust 16, 2019
This company helped me to find the only "part-time" job that has the ability to support me. I really like that about them. I never had any pay issues or surprises. I have told a few of my friends that they should apply.
Flexible schedule.
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 11, 2019
I would like to have heath insurance even we pay it, and
I would like them to pay if they cancel classes due to snow or emergency.
More training and special classes. Pay for the accidents in the school. One of the kids kit me and broke y glasses($300) and They did not help me to solve the problem. Specially when you are working with special need kids.
Relaxed
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 3, 2019
I enjoy the relaxed nature of TOC. Everyone is great to work with. When I have issues with certain schools, they back me up. Thanks for all you do, it is appreciated.
That's a flexible temporary job and can work around a busy mom schedule and when you are ready to work at a permanent job. You have to apply separate.
Substitute Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNAugust 2, 2019
It all depends on the school you're subbing for you pretty much have to get to know the students, coworkers and the teachers. It helps your work environment go alot smoother. The work place culture can be different from school to school as a Substitute Paraprofessional. The most enjoyable part of the job of course is helping and supporting the students with their daily tasks seeing that they successfully achieve in it and it puts
smiles on their faces is all the worth while for me.
Pros
Not bound to contract
Cons
I like seeing different schools setting and meeting new people.
A stressful and uncomfortable place to work when I was there.
Staffing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNAugust 2, 2019
Teachers on Call was not a good place to work while I was employed there. They did not efficiently train me and belittled me instead of helping me. The process of recruiting teachers was not efficient and very confusing.
Best job for my family and location.
Paraprofessional Special Education (Current Employee) –  Northeast MinnesotaJuly 25, 2019
I took early retirement from my career as a professional librarian. My mother is almost 88 and has Parkinson's disease. She lives three hours drive from me. I sometimes need to go help her on short notice and go once a month for paperwork, medication organization, and medical appointments.
I am also an EMT volunteer on my rural ambulance squad.
So, I needed a job that gives me flexibility.
TOC offers online or by telephone scheduling, easy access to human help or automated calendars for your availability and that of school districts you choose to serve. A great part-time job for those who think education is key to successful lives.
The start-up process is slow, especially as the school year approaches, so get your application going soon.
Experience is changing with new ownership
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJuly 9, 2019
TOC used to reward teachers for taking on a lot of assignments. Now there is a system of preference that the sub teachers do not see. Those ranked higher by the permanent staff see more and better assignments than those who are not. And permanent staff teachers can give negative feedback that is not challenged by the TOC staff, even when the sub was following TOC training.
substitute paraprofessional
Substitute Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Aurora, MNJuly 4, 2019
I greatly love working with children in an educational setting. Being able to shadow individuals that may require some direction or focus in situations during a typical school day is very rewarding when they are successful and you can see them grow. The hardest part of this position is not knowing all the time what to expect when walking into the job or a child that may not take well to a stranger.
Pros
watching kids succede
Cons
not knowing what exactly is expected of each individual
Flexible hours led to more family time
LICENSED SHORT TERM SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 25, 2019
Working as a multi-district short-term substitute teacher, I appreciate the flexibility and the various experiences from day to day. I consider this great experience as my goal is to become certified in either school counseling or a teacher. The only challenge I came across is when the notes for the substitute were vague. Fortunately, many of the schools' staff were very helpful. They were also appreciative of my time and the job performed.
Love the flexibility
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 24, 2019
I enjoy working here however, struggling with summer hours low or non existent. I did not like that we, as teachers get penalized for canceling a shift however, places of employment can cancel last minute. Great if your looking for part time work, making your own schedule and love kids!!
Great, flexible place to work
Substitute Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 15, 2019
I really enjoyed working there. I primarily worked as a para sub, so I worked in special ed classrooms. The kids and teachers were always so great and kind to me. It was hard work, but very rewarding.

You can take courses and become a full substitute teacher but I never got around to it myself.
Pros
Set your own hours, very flexible, people are quite understanding of you if you make mistakes or are confused.
Cons
Hard work, kids can be hard on substitutes. Takes a firm and confident personality.
Great practice for teachers
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Wisconsin, six districtsJune 13, 2019
I had taught middle schoolers, children and adults previously, but as a result of serving with teachers on call for several years, I now feel I would be confident stepping into any grade level or subject and knowing what to do. You get to see lots of great lesson plans and strategies of many teachers. It is also excellent practice for honing your classroom management skills. It can be more stressful than day to day teaching as you never know where you will be going or what you will teach, but you get to meet a lot of people.
Pros
Flexible schedule, many opportunities
Cons
Low pay and benefits
Teachers on Call is a great place to work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 11, 2019
Teachers on Call is the ideal place to work for individuals who need flexible hours and short term or part time work assignments. The management is very professional and the job placements are always fun and diverse. Overall great place to work.
best job
ORDER FULFILLMENT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 6, 2019
loved working here. Great environment and they are rapidly growing. I would recommend this employer to anyone who is needing a steady job in a good environment
Great flexibility of schedule
Reserve Teacher K-6 (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 4, 2019
TOC is the middleman/agency between you and and available subbing positions. It's very flexible, you determine the days and times you want to work, as well as the times you are unavailable. I love the flexibility of choosing the school, grade and teacher I want to sub for.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
low pay
Fun and challenging work environment
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNMay 23, 2019
A fun and challenging work environment where the kids are always keeping you on your toes, while you build relationships with each child, with a supportive team of staff members always behind you.
Great Entry-Level Job
Substitute Teacher, Building Substitute (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNMay 23, 2019
I accepted teaching assignments throughout the metro area, and could have worked every day if I wanted to. They are a great, supportive company for someone like me who wants to get back into the teaching field.
Pros
Felxibility, growth opportunities
Cons
Salary is ok for a temporary position or as supplementary income.
Don't Bother
Substitute Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 10, 2019
You are often taken for granted and only receive negative feedback. You get reprimanded for things that happen in classrooms you aren't even working in because no one keeps track of where you actually are as opposed to who you are assigned to. Schools make inaccurate and dishonest reports. Also, you are expected to do transfers that you are not properly trained for.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
The company
If you need extra cash.,..
Licensed Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaMay 7, 2019
not for a career..part time filler job. Does not offer benefits and is inconsistent and impersonal. Also Seasonal, so you are guaranteed no work over the summers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teachers On Call. Our community is ready to answer.