Teachers On Reserve

Teachers On Reserve Employee Reviews

United States53 reviews
Friendly organization
TOR is a nice company to work for if you need flexibility and perhaps do not want to work Monday thrgouh Friday. However the pay is too low for the cost of living in Los Angeles
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay is too low
The support staff cares about their employees
There is always no question that cannot be asked, communication is so great, in achieving common ground. The top administrators are always there for you as well.
They show you an appreciation under a sometimes uncommon scenario.
Flexible schedule, various job locations, supportive staff.
TOR offers a variety of substitute teaching opportunities. I determine my own availability and provide my preferences for school locations. TOR makes it easy to submit timesheets and to update availability. Great place to work for.
Wonderful company to work for.
Teachers on reserve really cares about their teachers. They work hard to find good work environments for their employees. They offer really good flexibility with your schedule. And their long-term assignments are really great.
Inconsistent
Work is not consistent. You may or may not get called each week. You must be up between 6 am -9pm and wait for a call. If you don't receive a call then you don't work that day. The schools are usually charter schools and you always feel like the new person and it's hard to build long-standing relationships with this job.
Official response from Teachers On Reserve
March 15, 2020
People work with us for lots of reasons. Some to make connections that lead to full-time positions -- which happens more often than you'd imagine. Others choose TOR while they're still in grad school, raising kids, pursuing another career, tutoring or they've retired and don't want the demands of a full-time teaching position...they actually want a flexible schedule.

Our employees aren't required to wait by the phone and over half of our jobs are booked a day or more in advance. We work with charter and private schools of every imaginable sort -- and many people seek us out to work outside the public system. LOTS of our teachers get asked back for repeat (and long-term) assignments and that can foster those long-standing relationships.

I understand you are dissatisfied and we'd like to help change that. Your review is anonymous, so it's hard to see all the factors involved but, if you are indeed a current employee, I urge you to speak with your support team leader about strategies and training that can maximize your ability to go out and get repeat assignments.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Substitute Teacher
I worked at several different schools as a substitute in many different subjects. If the teachers left good class assignments my day was great. If the teacher did not leave good assignments my day could be miserable, however, I learned to be prepared for anything and had my own work sheets and fun assignments of my own. The company would know I was doing a good job especially if I was requested by a school.
Teachers On Reserve is an excellent place to work. I have developed a good rapport with teachers, parents, students, and administrative staff. Very professional team.
Substituting at many different schools
Teachers on Reserve allows you to substitute at many different schools in the Bay Area. You are given an assignment ahead of time if a teacher knows they will be out a weeks in advance, or you are sometimes called the morning of an assignment to fill in in a classroom. You decide what grade levels you are comfortable with. There are also opportunities for long term placement if a teacher is needed.
Nice People to Work With.
TOR has a warm culture and they seem to do their best for their employees. The pay is okay. Nothing to jump up and down about. I've had pretty good experiences there. The work could be a bit more plentiful.
Good to test out the teaching waters
Stressful commutes- not enough schools within reach. This company caters mostly Charter schools- and boy is that a tangled ball of wax.

One job that I had was "teaching" a PE class with 48 third graders. No other teachers!! I kid you not! Finally someone sent in 2 middle schoolers to "help". (You know the ones who get in trouble....) Was that helpful?
Pros
learned I want to teach Preschool, not K-12.Phew!! Glad I didn't get that credential!
Cons
No breaks, just lunch. Many schools required eating lunch with the kids. Is that called a break?
Well paid bridge employment for job seekers in teaching field!
T.O.R has been the perfect sustainable livelihood with my teaching background as I seek full time employment in the teaching field. I could not feel more comfortable during the interview process. Substitute calls come in regularly during the year besides off season and holidays. It is as accountable as it can be with this type of position. The company is professional, compensate well and truly care about their employees. The co-founders/CEO's even offer employee appreciation packages like easy meal recipes, lesson plans, and fun gift baskets. They also offer pay increase after a certain amount of days worked. I feel lucky to be a part of their team. I can feel confident in relying on this company as part time income and feel valued as an employee. I have nothing but great things to say and appreciate about working with T.O.R.
Education on reserve
Teachers in reserve has been a profound experience in building tools and advancements in education for the students enrolled in the charter schools in LA county.
From K-12 there are plans which actually benefit through the creation of approach each and every sutustion with professionalism and expertise.
Pros
Payments are always done on schedule
Cons
Do not provide teachers with a lunch card.
This is a great company to work for.
This is a great company to work for. They secured me both long term and short term positions quickly. My time substitute teaching in Los Angeles has been amazing and I grew as a teacher. I would recommend this company to anyone looking to sub in California.
Flexible and Professional
I have worked with this company for many years. They are very personal and professional. Great flexibility for my schedule. I like that they provide feedback that helps you grow professional. I would recommend to anyone who wants more instructional experience.
Pros
Work as much or as little as you want
Cons
slightly lower rates
Exciting place to work!
Teachers on Reserve is a great place to work. I have always wanted to teach, and Teachers On Reserve have given me that opportunity. I love working for this organization. The staff is very supportive, flexible, and caring. I can call or e-mail, and someone ALWAYS responds to answer any question or concern. They treat you like family so much so; I can hardly wait for the school year to begin!

I need flexibility in my life to do other things, I get off early enough I have time to work on my business. The students inspire me so I keep going back for more. I worked in the same school for almost half of the year which has been wonderful getting to know the students, staff and build strong relationships.

If you are looking for fun and fulfilling work, look no further!
easy going atmosphere
This is good job if you are self employed and need a few hours of work from another source. I got to work at several great private school and the kids were amazing. Staff were always helpful and kind. Teaching at the schools was alway stress free and easy.
Pros
short hours
Cons
not enough money to make a living if you're single
wild world
Are you six feet tall, intimidating and can instill calm in kids who have never seen you before? Then his is the job for you. Otherwise you will be chewed up and spit out.
Pros
um money?
Cons
you're a cog.
Official response from Teachers On Reserve
July 21, 2019
Best sub I ever interviewed was 82 years old and just under five feet tall. Hired her on the spot. She'd been proactively managing classroom learning for 34 years and she never intimidated anyone because she felt it was a dead end approach. She had lots of tools in her "tool chest" for making the most of the teaching day and truly relished working with students she'd never met...learned a lot from her.

I regret that you felt like a "cog." That's not how we viewed you. We believed in your ability to do this hard (and often rewarding) work and offered you bonuses for beginning and advanced training that boosts classroom success.

Our decades in this business have taught us that going into any sort of teaching just "for the cash" invariably leads to teacher burnout. To counter the feeling of isolation that some subs can experience, we're actively building relationships within TOR and implementing an interactive feedback system.

We hope you find a more perfect fit in your next job.
Only worked for one month
If you like subing this is a job for you. I constantly had assignments. They were in different locations. It is very fast-pace. You are mostly always on call unless you get an assignment that last a couple of days or weeks.
Pros
A lot of Assignments
Cons
On call
Good Assignments
Match you up pretty closely to your requested skillset.
Pay is pretty good, but often seems that it could be better, when on long term, schools get a GREAT bargain paying you a fraction of what an accredited teachers gets, while you often OUTPERFORM permanent teachers.
Flexible work for me.
I am basically semi-retired, so this company is a great flexible fit for me. While not a certificated teacher, I happened to have a 30-day substitute teacher credential, and that was helpful to be hired.
For those younger persons coming out of school with a teaching certificate, but not a teaching job yet, this job is a great way to get experience and some may be hired by a school they happen to sub for.
Pros
Flexible work schedule - if don't wish to work some days, can take yourself off the schedule.
You decide if you want to work or not. Assignments are give the night before along with all the important details as far as what subject, time and location. You can decided to take the assignment or not.

Sometimes if you don't get a call the night before, you may receive a call the following morning. You have to be ready to be out the door really early, and sometimes you may not get the call at all.
Pros
Work when you want during the week. Regular assignments
Cons
No work during any of the holidays or days off, no sick or vacation time.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teachers On Reserve. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2