Teachers On Reserve Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
Lots of antonomy. Choice of assignments/ Low pay
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAMay 29, 2018
Sometimes interacting with the schedules were a bit trying and confusing.

Not a lot of compliments for good work.

But if you make yourself available on Fridays and Mondays you will always have work. Not a lot of people like to work those days.

You can schedule yourself off.

No, extra pay, not a typical place to work that comes with complete control over your life. That is the pay off
Great Op but not enough hours
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 3, 2018
The company is great, warm and friendly but without a teacher credential or emergency 30 day permit finding enough work for the week was difficult. In addition not all assignments are for a full day, some are half days leaving you with inconsistent hours.
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
not enough hours
I'm happy to be with Teachers on Reserve
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaMarch 14, 2018
I love my job and I've been treated really well by the folks at the call center. I live in the suburbs of Los Angeles and often have to drive more than thirty minutes to get to a job assignment. Teachers on Reserve makes an effort to place me in a teaching position every day that I make myself available; every once and a while I don't get the call. If you can't handle that you won't like this job.
I've let them know how much I love a few of the schools I've worked at and they've gone out of their way to send me back to my favorites, when possible.
I appreciate that I can accrue sick pay but the best part of the job is the flexibility. I get to make my own hours.
Pros
Professional staff, choose when you work.
Cons
no vacation pay, some days you get ready for work but don't get called in.
Choose your own hours
Substitute Teacher in San Diego CA (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAMarch 5, 2018
You can choose the exact hours you would like to work. You can work a few days a week or everyday! The pay is $22/hr for charter schools! The pay is great if you're fresh out of college with no work experience.
Pros
$22/hr with no work experience
Cons
Sub teaching is stressful
Small company doing big things for the educational field.
Substitute Teacher/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAFebruary 12, 2018
Teachers on Reserve is a great place to work if you need a flexible schedule. The office staff is very friendly and easy to work with. Working as a teacher is hard these days, but working with TOR is easy.
very low pay, lots of commuting
Guest Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay AreaFebruary 6, 2018
if you have nothing else better to do, or just want to get some quick experience in teaching, this company is a good way to break into the field. Don't expect to be able to support a family with the salaries.. No benefits, no advancement, and lots of time spent commuting to and from assignments without pay.
Pros
getting your feet wet
Cons
no healthcare, low wages
Official response from Teachers On Reserve
February 12, 2018

Thanks for your feedback - it's important to us.

Our current pay rates range from $20 - $31 per hour, depending on the kind of credentials required for each assignment. We give pay raises per number of hours worked and often raise pay rates in addition to that.

"No benefits" is inaccurate. Qualifying teachers get: health insurance, paid sick leave, a 401k plan, long-term & teacher referral bonuses, weekly paychecks, flexible scheduling, direct deposit and the choice of where to work.

Employers DON'T generally pay for employees to drive to and from home but we DO pay teachers for their work day - from start to finish, including lunch breaks.

Supportive and fun co-workers and management
Dispatch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CASeptember 27, 2017
Though it can get very fast-paced and a bit stressful, the management and employees are extremely kind and supportive and it is a relaxed office environment that feels very familial. It makes up for how tedious and frustrating some of the rok can be.
Pros
Supportive Work Environment
Cons
Sometimes Stressful, Not Stimulating Work
Flexible and profedsional
Sub teacher (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 12, 2017
Great part time gig. Worked when I wanted at many San Diego Charter schools. Very Friendly staff with repeat referrrals at local schools. Would recommend for anyone starting out in teaching.
Teachers on Reserve is great for job/life balance
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAAugust 22, 2017
Teachers on Reserve worked so well for me because they allowed you to change your availability to work right up until the moment you were requested for an assignment. At the time I was a graduate student, and this was extremely helpful and conducive to my busy schedule.
You can make your own schedule
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2017
I liked working for TOR because I could choose my own schedule and I didn't have to explain to them why I wasn't coming to work. I did not like the dispatch though.
Pros
Your own schedule. You ALWAYS have work coming in.
Cons
Dispatch are a little rude. It's difficult going to a new location every morning. Money.
A job were teaching and learning new things.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJuly 5, 2017
Teaching runs in the family, so the job hit close to home. My dad was a teacher and watching him, I knew it was something I pictured myself doing. Teaching was so gratifying.
Pros
You can brush on some things you haven't learned in a long time.
Cons
There's a lot of unpredicted traffic driving to a new area to teach.
Great way to get your feet wet!
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJune 23, 2017
Teachers on Reserve sent me to many different schools, many of which became favorites for myself and the kids. You can set which days you want to work, dispatch is always kind and professional (even if I didn't think so when their call woke me up at 6 am everyday), and overall, it was a great place to work right after I graduated college.
Pros
set your own schedule
Cons
some schools are less welcoming than others
Teacher's on reserve is a great company to work for.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 6, 2017
TOR allowed me to be able to teach with only a BA. I'm grateful because teaching has been my dream since I was in the third grade. I'm currently studying for the cset so that I can teach at a public school.
Productive, fun place to work
dispather (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAAugust 8, 2016
great co-workers
fast paced
multi tasked
Great opportunities to practice customer service daily. Very cooperative and nice staff. Owner is very appreciative.
Pros
Staff if appreciated
Cons
no work during summer
Not a good environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAMarch 14, 2016
The call center is rude and never gives good instructions about parking or if for example, the school is on a site with 5 other schools, where it is specifically located. They don't even provide direct deposit, although they have minimum 200 employees
Pros
You will get a check for hours worked, with a lot of their attitude included
Cons
Poorly managed
Love working with children and the coworkers
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  604 Sonora Ave. Glendale, CASeptember 29, 2015
Great company and always striving to improve their benefits for the employees.
Assigning teachers to schools when regular teachers are sick or need to be out. They scrutinize every teacher with background checks and fingerprinting. Everyone must have a BA degree as regulated by the state.
Very professional company to work for.
Pros
Usually has a schedule you can be flexible with.
Cons
You may not know when you are working until that morning.
Good company to work for
Credentialed Guest Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 18, 2015
Very flexible company. Administration and president are easy to work with and fair. Decent pay at around $18 an hour. Choose how often you want to work. I had a great time teaching through them. GREAT way to find a full time job at a school.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, self reliance, choose where and when you want to work
Cons
No coworkers. Early start every day. No paid travel.
Awesome company to work for
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAMay 29, 2015
I have really enjoyed my experience working for this company. This is the first time I have worked in the capacity as a substitute teacher but TOR has made the experience wonderful. TOR can't guarantee continuous placement but since joining the company (in November 2014) I have been working every day with the exception of school breaks for the holidays. The staff is always friendly and informative. They remain in continuous communication about assignments and changes that may occur. This is a great company to work for!
Pros
Flexible schedule, great communication, weekly pay
Cons
Good Company to work for.
Lead or Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAFebruary 11, 2015
I enjoyed working for this company because I got to work with different schools. I left when Rainbow School hired me because, my husband and I were down to one car and this job was in my home town.
Pros
Learning different teaching techniqus.
Cons
They didn't pay travel expenses.
Teachers on Reserve
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CASeptember 30, 2014
When reporting to the school each day as a substitute teacher, you have to be mentally and physically prepared for anything before walking into the classroom.

Some days, as a substitute teacher, you may be assigned a class full of high achievers, a class of low achievers or a mixture of the two types of students. In many cases, the under achievers can easily also become the students who misbehave in class.

We, the substitutes, are measured immediately by the students before our first two words are spoken in the classroom. Therefore, in order to have a constructive day, I immediately lay down the "law of the classroom expectations" and rules. The way we carry ourselves in and out of class is also being observed by the contracted full time instructors who, based on their impression of the substitutes, on their class management skills, determine which sub they would request to handle their own class.

The biggest difference I see between public schools (LAUSD) and the schools is really the parent-participation element, Therefore it is imperative that substitute teachers keep whatever "big issue" confrontations at bay, and if they do come up - use the wall phone in the rooms. That's what they are for.

Teaching today is far more challenging that when I first began in 1984. Students are more defiant, school rules are similar as in the old days but not always readily enforced

Through it all, when you focus on the high achievers or even those who are simply doing their best, simply notate everything the low achievers are doing in an attempt to distract your teaching
  more... time. Some school allow you to send those who disrupt class out of the classroom, while others expect you to tolerate it, deal with it and keep teaching. This is what keeps substitute teaching from being boring, because you never know what combination of class environment or class situations are waiting for you each day.  less
Pros
Flexibility of shifts, schools and days available to work
Cons
No overtime or benefits offered since state cutbacks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Teachers On Reserve. Our community is ready to answer.