Tech Data Employee Reviews

My workdays were never boring !
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLNovember 7, 2018
My job was unique in that no 2 days were exactly alike. This is what made me love my job and enjoy coming into work everyday.
My role was to help solve receiving issues with our 7 US warehouses. From simple over shipments to packaging and labeling errors. In this role I was exposed to numerous other departments and team's processes. This helped me learn many other things.That exposure and knowledge made me a subject matter expert for logistics, purchasing, inventory control QA, accounting and sales teams.
I always had managers that were eager to help me grow in order to become a better employee. Either finding new projects or changing my role so that I was always able to have a job that was enjoyable while I grew with the changing business.

The only reason I am not there now is they acquired another company and my position was moved out of the country.
TD Summary
Field Solution Architect (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 6, 2018
Great place to work. Very friendly people. I learned a lot to do with Cisco Technologies. I also really enjoyed my management team. They were not shy on sending you around the country to learn new technologies.
Has great potential, lack of diversity in leadership
LC Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Swedesboro, NJ 08085November 2, 2018
Tech Data can be a great place to work but the leadership team is young and they don't operate like a team. The people are hard workers but need leaders to take them to the next level.
Add Value or Stay Home
Client Executive III (Current Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 31, 2018
The first line Field Sales Managers and some Senior Sales Executives struggle with adding value in VAR executive meetings. Please do not walk into a $50 million dollar account unless you can offer value. If you cannot point to a reference account for a new "Tech Data" solution please do not pitch it. "Practice Builder", " Data Analytics" ??? all need to have more substance than just talking points on a PowerPoint slide.

Sales Managers please do not walk into accounts talking how we can compete against Amazon on product. That is pure transactional ecommerce business. Add value or stay home.

The days of buying relationships with vendor/supplier funds are essentially over. You have to bring business value.

There are two types of field managers that I have seen in the last two years. The ones that do not show up and the ones that show up and offer little value. Just price cutting.
Pros
Good people, good benefits, well known brand
Cons
Poor Executive Management, Phoenix office is depressing
Excellent place to work
Business Development Representative (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLOctober 31, 2018
The company is open and welcoming, and is an excellent place to work. In the position I had, I just was not making enough money, so I left for a different position. What a mistake.
Pros
Cons
Compensatoin
Work Life Balance
Solutions Associate (Cisco) (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLOctober 30, 2018
I had the pleasure to work with some of the most talented and brilliant minds in the business. Fast paced fun environment that also promoted an understanding for work life balance.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
A few members of management were very difficult and unprofessional
A good place for benefits
Software licensing admin (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLOctober 29, 2018
I personally would recommend Tech Data to anyone who is looking for a career in computers/computing. It is very cut-throat, though. I would not personally recommend it to any of my friends as I know that none of them are into computer selling. Tech Data does offer a very good 410(k).
Pros
Free lunches, annual national sales meeting. Vendor give aways.
Cons
Short breaks, constant meetings.
excellent
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLOctober 27, 2018
Nice place to work, good learning experience, customer service excelent, excelent mangement, people enjoy woorking at Tech Data, a lot of promotion to employe.
Exciting
Sr. Manager, Logistics (Current Employee) –  Suwanee, GAOctober 17, 2018
I enjoy working for Tech Data, we have opportunities for growth. Everyone has a voice and can provide input for improvement.

Things we do well!
* Team Building Exercises
* Teamwork
* Great communication
Stay away from this company - Don't say I didn't warn you
Sales (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 16, 2018
For such a large company Tech Data especially the LATAM Miami office is a complete, disorganized mess.

The compensation is absolutely terrible and they are known for underpaying and mistreating employees compared to every other company in the industry.

They frequently layoff or fire employees for reasons such as "we were paying them to much, let's fire them and hire someone brand new off the street who we can pay way less" even though these are well performing employees that have been with the company for a few years.

Except for their newest manager it's a fair assessment to say that management is superbly incompetent and uncaring about their workers. Don't except a promotion, or raise, or any kind of feedback or reward for doing good work.

Never expect any kind of coaching, feedback, or guidance or direction, or any kind of viable training or mentorship, here in this company it simply doesn't exist, you are just another replaceable worker bee filling a seat.

Don't expect to be able to work from home or work remotely, they don't trust any of their employees enough to do this.

Expect apathy, and complete oversight unless there's a problem, then suddenly it's all YOUR fault and has somehow been YOUR fault all along (you're a convenient scapegoat for when things go wrong, it's not management, you are the problem).

The company refuses to spend money on the IT budget so don't expect any type of CRM system, or anything other than ancient computers and a terrible antiquated unreliable phone system.

Tech Data is a revolving door, a people mill that uses you,
  more... underpays you, chews you up and spits you out.

Do a quick survey of 91% of the people working there and you'll quickly learn that most of them have been there for 2 years or less, and talk to them in private and they'll tell you they are unhappy and actively looking for other jobs.

Don't waste your precious time with this company, and if you do accept one of their offers know that they WILL lie to you during the interview about the role and it's responsibilities and after you're hired you will learn the horrible truth.
Pros
Free cuban coffee
Cons
Poor compensation, no career advancement, poor job growth, high attrition "revolving-door", apathetic and incompetent management
computer distribution center
Maintenance Technician III (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GAOctober 9, 2018
had lots of Hytrol conveyor system ,including a shoe sorter conveyor, ez logic crown turrant truck , very good envirement to work in, cafeteria in the facility.
Pros
lunches
Cons
health care cost
Lots of Politics
ASSOCIATE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLOctober 2, 2018
Lots of politics to advance. You have to know someone or quickly find one of the few talented Sales Managers to work under or else you can work very hard and go nowhere.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Very Political
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 26, 2018
TechData is a great place to work. you can choose your own work hours and they help you with any outside difficulties you might have. it is overall a good company to work for.
Pros
great lunch room
Cons
Fun and Productive place to work
Financial Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 23, 2018
I have learned about Reporting Solutions using SAP Business objects Tools like Crystal Reports, Web Intelligence, Access and Analysis for Excel in Tech Data.
Great place to work!!
Software Licensing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FL 33760September 19, 2018
A typical day as a software licensing specialist varies on which team you're on. Mine was mainly working from an inbox and inputting orders.
Hardest part of the job would be some of the overtime, staying very very late into the night, and having a family makes that difficult. Tech Data is an excellent place to work, great environment.
Short Staffed and Burnt Out
Logistics Center Associate II (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 15, 2018
Not a bad place if turnover wasn't so high but there is never enough people to get the work done. Instead there is quite a bit of mandatory overtime passed around to burn out those that stay.
Still in a time warp
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 6, 2018
Tech Data continues to exist primarily as a logistics provider of technology to small and medium business that would not normally be serviced by the vendors.
Because of thin margins in this type of business there are little leading edge items available for employees. As an example I have a laptop that still runs on Windows 7, and the supported version of MS Access is 2003.
Pros
It's a paycheck
Cons
Typical central Florida employee base
Good company
Logistics Consultant (Former Employee) –  Doral, FLSeptember 6, 2018
Tech Data was an excellent company to work for. The work culture is positive and the pay was very competitive at my time of employment. They even considered the rising living wages at the time to implement a pay increase for all employees. However, they've turned away from working with temporary agencies.
Low Morale, Poor Senior Management
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 5, 2018
The overall morale is very low due to continuing layoffs and cost cuts.

Low level managers vary in skill, competence and support. Most are promoted due to their friendship with senior management which causes friction with the highly skilled team members. Turnover is very high.

Senior Management is very poor. Not sure how they got their jobs, but they lack the skills to manage, show favoritism and often don't really know what's going on with their own teams. They do a lot of finger pointing and put blame on others when they should be looking in the mirror.
Pros
Free Parking, Cafeteria on site
Cons
Toxic environment and low morale among staff level employees
did not like work enviroment
Receiver/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Swedesboro, NJSeptember 5, 2018
no room for advancement not a relaxed atmosphere did not enjoy working there it appeared there where way to many cliques involved losing all or most of your break going through security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tech Data. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight