Tech Data Employee Reviews

Easy going but frustrating
Repair Technician (Current Employee) –  Obetz, OHDecember 10, 2018
They do not offer consistent pay increases from manager to manager or from employee to employee. It is based on their personal interactions with you, not your performance. Current area pay for unskilled labor is much higher than the skilled repair tech positions that this company hires for, therefore they have been hiring less skilled laborers and not rewarding the competent ones.
Pros
laid back, overtime not required in some areas
Cons
incompetent leadership, inability to adapt, unwillingness to provide adequate pay or compensation
Just OK
Product Marketing Admin II (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLNovember 17, 2018
Tech Data is an easy and good place to get an entry level job in the corporate office world. The pay is low but you gain a lot of skills you can take else where.
The job is not that interesting so it's hard to be invested in the company.
Pros
Growth, training, set hours, weekends off.
Cons
Basic employees, boring, outdated tech, underpaid, unnecessary, business type goals for non business position.
A good place for benefits
Software licensing admin (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLOctober 29, 2018
I personally would recommend Tech Data to anyone who is looking for a career in computers/computing. It is very cut-throat, though. I would not personally recommend it to any of my friends as I know that none of them are into computer selling. Tech Data does offer a very good 410(k).
Pros
Free lunches, annual national sales meeting. Vendor give aways.
Cons
Short breaks, constant meetings.
Decent, solid company
COMPUTER SYSTEMS OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLDecember 24, 2018
The company is major player in the technology distribution channel and has a global reach. Fast-paced work environment, always new things coming in, especially in the IT department. People are friendly and workplace demeanor is relaxed. The company does take the time to train new people that come into the Operations room since there is so much that goes on that cannot be learned anywhere else. Communication between departments in IT is limited and often people want to play the blame game rather than take responsibility for things that go wrong. Advancement opportunities are limited and stress levels can be high when staffing levels are not as they should be in certain departments. Systems monitoring is the easiest part of the job. Dealing with outages is usually the most difficult part when support must be engaged to assist with the issue.
My workdays were never boring !
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLNovember 7, 2018
My job was unique in that no 2 days were exactly alike. This is what made me love my job and enjoy coming into work everyday.
My role was to help solve receiving issues with our 7 US warehouses. From simple over shipments to packaging and labeling errors. In this role I was exposed to numerous other departments and team's processes. This helped me learn many other things.That exposure and knowledge made me a subject matter expert for logistics, purchasing, inventory control QA, accounting and sales teams.
I always had managers that were eager to help me grow in order to become a better employee. Either finding new projects or changing my role so that I was always able to have a job that was enjoyable while I grew with the changing business.

The only reason I am not there now is they acquired another company and my position was moved out of the country.
Still in a time warp
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 6, 2018
Tech Data continues to exist primarily as a logistics provider of technology to small and medium business that would not normally be serviced by the vendors.
Because of thin margins in this type of business there are little leading edge items available for employees. As an example I have a laptop that still runs on Windows 7, and the supported version of MS Access is 2003.
Pros
It's a paycheck
Cons
Typical central Florida employee base
Low Morale, Poor Senior Management
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 5, 2018
The overall morale is very low due to continuing layoffs and cost cuts.

Low level managers vary in skill, competence and support. Most are promoted due to their friendship with senior management which causes friction with the highly skilled team members. Turnover is very high.

Senior Management is very poor. Not sure how they got their jobs, but they lack the skills to manage, show favoritism and often don't really know what's going on with their own teams. They do a lot of finger pointing and put blame on others when they should be looking in the mirror.
Pros
Free Parking, Cafeteria on site
Cons
Toxic environment and low morale among staff level employees
Great place to work!!
Software Licensing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FL 33760September 19, 2018
A typical day as a software licensing specialist varies on which team you're on. Mine was mainly working from an inbox and inputting orders.
Hardest part of the job would be some of the overtime, staying very very late into the night, and having a family makes that difficult. Tech Data is an excellent place to work, great environment.
Stressful but rewarding
Sr. Logistics and Inventory Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 23, 2018
A typical day at work required up to 12 hours of work. It was a warehouse environment so it was sometimes hot and muggy, and noisy. It was fast-paced and you had to meet the daily numbers to have a job, but the expectations were well explained in advance, and you were rewarded very well for meeting them.
Pros
Good pay, and very professional
Cons
Stressful and you had to meet your numbers
Desktop Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 13, 2018
Very productive and friendly. Great opportunities with tuition reimbursement, paternal child leave, refer hiring bonus, etc Awesome friends and colleagues encouraging teamwork. Cool volunteer opportunities to go to places you've been before to help feed the homeless, walk for a cause, or bowl for your job and represent it with professional fun!
Pros
Great opportunity to volunteer for great charitable events.
Cons
Long hours, no climate control, wages in area dont fit living wages so transportstion is poor. Some drive an hr or more.

Want to know more about Tech Data?

Ask a question
No work/life balance, Low compensation/benefits, 2 year advancement, Disorganized management, Nontransparent job culture
Purchasing and Product Marketing (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLAugust 30, 2018
I worked for Tech Data for 3 years, in two departments, in two roles due to promotion after 18 month transfer policy hold. There is no work/life balance since 36 billion dollar company with fresh 2.6 billion dollar acquisition where revenue was still lost. Over 60 people laid off on quarterly basis to help workforce budget. Management is disorganized since executive leadership is a revolving door and doesn't give reasonable, realist direction (abrupt non-strategic changes last minutes and metrics affected). Loss of multimillion dollar business with vendor partners and major authorized resellers. Many fun events thrown for sales only to mask employees being overworked and underpaid.
Overall good company
Senior Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 4, 2019
Tech Data Corp is a good place where you can learn alot but the pay can be low in certain depts and it can be somewhat difficult to move around the company
Pros
Good health benefits; 401K match as well
Cons
High turnover, tension among co workers, heavy workloads, burnout
Work Life Balance
Solutions Associate (Cisco) (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLOctober 30, 2018
I had the pleasure to work with some of the most talented and brilliant minds in the business. Fast paced fun environment that also promoted an understanding for work life balance.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
A few members of management were very difficult and unprofessional
Amazing experience
Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLAugust 3, 2018
Ofcourse experiences will vary depending on management and department in a company the size of Tech Data but for me it was a great experience. I started as an Analyst I and was promoted 3 times with substantial raises during my 4 years there. I was being "groomed" to take over the management of the dept at the time I left. It was a friendly, fun enjoyable company that made you feel a part of the big picture even though you were only a small cog in a fortune 500 company.
Tech data is a good job from the time ive spent there working for them
Receiving Clerk/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Swedesboro, NJAugust 30, 2018
Tech data has its moments where the work can be hard and long but the pay is good.
But there is also times where the work is not enough for everyone and they start sending employees home early but thankfully it doesn't happen a lot.
Pros
Good place with good money
Cons
Travel
My co workers were wonderful not so much management they were very unorganized and lack leadership
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 23, 2018
Very unfair with the workers will use you as much as they can then let go when they feel your no longer needed they have favoritism and you are required to do more work than what they explain to you what you’re job title is
Pros
Free lunch often
Cons
They do not care about the workers they will give you more responsibility than the position requires
Good company
Logistics Consultant (Former Employee) –  Doral, FLSeptember 6, 2018
Tech Data was an excellent company to work for. The work culture is positive and the pay was very competitive at my time of employment. They even considered the rising living wages at the time to implement a pay increase for all employees. However, they've turned away from working with temporary agencies.
When i was sick health care didnt cover my bill. I still received a point when i was sick n the hospital told me i couldnt go back to work.
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Swedesboro, NJSeptember 2, 2018
Hot place hated it. I thought it was a great place. But after being there. It wasn't. They only care about productivity. Its crazy when their no work n u standing around. So ur number goes down.
Add Value or Stay Home
Client Executive III (Current Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 31, 2018
The first line Field Sales Managers and some Senior Sales Executives struggle with adding value in VAR executive meetings. Please do not walk into a $50 million dollar account unless you can offer value. If you cannot point to a reference account for a new "Tech Data" solution please do not pitch it. "Practice Builder", " Data Analytics" ??? all need to have more substance than just talking points on a PowerPoint slide.

Sales Managers please do not walk into accounts talking how we can compete against Amazon on product. That is pure transactional ecommerce business. Add value or stay home.

The days of buying relationships with vendor/supplier funds are essentially over. You have to bring business value.

There are two types of field managers that I have seen in the last two years. The ones that do not show up and the ones that show up and offer little value. Just price cutting.
Pros
Good people, good benefits, well known brand
Cons
Poor Executive Management, Phoenix office is depressing
Poor Management
Developer (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 7, 2019
When hiring new employees that you promise to mentor, mentor them. This is a sink or swim environment and not fitting for Jr. Developers. Revolving door.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Management, Lack of work life balance, Unrealistic expectations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tech Data. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight