TECHSHOP Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
great concept
Instructor and Dream consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 8, 2018
Techshop was a fairly cool place to work at despite the challenges faced for a technology based maker space. If they had not gone bankrupt i might still work there just for the perks of having a free membership.
Pros
fun enviorment
Cons
poor management
Fun Place Fun Community
Dream Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 3, 2018
I learned how to use machinery in order to help others and to troubleshoot any problems.
A typical day at work involved giving tours to people who didn't know about Techshop, making sure members' needs are met, and helping the facility stay clean, organized, and creative.
Exciting place with creative and innovative individuals.
Accounts Manager / Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 22, 2018
Working at TechShop exposed me to many creative individuals. You always had the opportunity to learn from members about their work or a new technique in operating the tools and equipment at TechShop. Although the shop equipment do break down or the shop does not carry specific tools, members are always willing to share their knowledge of about the tools they are looking for.
The best job I ever had
Dream Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 31, 2018
If your interest in just making money this is not your career. If you are interested in working with the most wonderful/helpful peopl & members making groundbreaking products using state of the art machinery as well as metal working machines from 100 years ago.
Pros
people, atmosphere, after hours access, you will sleep soundly again
Cons
minimum wage, went bankrupt
Company Now Bankrupt
Information Technology Infrastructure Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 30, 2018
This company went bankrupt in November 2017. Their business pattern was to spend money they didn't have and not pay their bills. The corporate staff often went unpaid.
Fun Creative and Educational
Shop Technician (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJanuary 29, 2018
This was a really fun place to work. Great way to learn how to use a vast majority of shop machines, work with interesting people on even more interesting and sometimes crazy projects.
Best place I ever worked
Assistant STEAM Instructor (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAJanuary 16, 2018
I had a great time teaching young STEAM members how to use the machines. The classes are free for employees so I got a ton of experience, however I was never paid for the hours I worked there because they went bankrupt. I would have been fine with this but my employer failed to mention that the company might not exist in the future.
Pros
on-site vending machines, free popcorn for everyone, free classes for training
Cons
bankruptcy
Events
Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZNovember 13, 2017
TechShop is a wonderful melting pot of creators. It is a great place to find trade skills that you are good at and can nurture advancement in those skills. It has limited room for advancement as an employee but offers other discounts and perks as a replacement.
Pros
Delightful staff, clean/ AC, Nice clients, good hours
Cons
no real advancement, little to no raises, can seem stagnant at times
A "stepping stone" job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CASeptember 30, 2017
Don't expect to make a livable wage here. They will pay you less that what you are worth (in most cases). However, they offer decent training on equipment, opportunities for advancement, and the workplace culture is rad. If you work for TechShop and you aren't making friends, something might be wrong with you.
Pros
great culture, training and opportunities for advancement
Cons
low pay, management is lacking, company always appears to be running out of money
Great people, and fun workplace
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 14, 2017
After catching up with members who are working on their projects, I enjoy the number of inspiring interactions that TechShop conducts. It is easy to contact my manager and team leaders for new projects. There is a lot of tools, and educators to learn from. A great stepping stone!
Startup Culture: High Paced - High Stress
Senior Director of IT and IS (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAJuly 20, 2017
The culture in the stores is AMAZING and fun; creative and energetic staff, inventors, entrepreneurs, scientists, engineers, DIYers, and trade professionals all focused on building things. I love being in a TechShop, it is a place everyone should be a member of once in their lives - just to see if they are a Maker at heart (if they don't know it already).

The hardest part of my job was the constant pressure and stress. Additionally, the scope creep on projects. This created massive cost overruns, exhausted and frustrated project team members, constant delivery date changing and constant project realignment. I saw too many employees loose relationships over the stress and commitment level required.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers and the store staff. I learned a great deal about the Maker Movement and how hard some people will work to build their dreams.
Pros
Great Enviroment at the Stores
Cons
Constant Stress, Extreemly Long Hours and Project Scope Creep
Fun place to work, many talented people and members
Basic Safety & Use Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 30, 2017
Great place to be an instructor, great staff and members. Very creative and challenging place to hang out and teach ! An always changing and growing environment.
Pros
Great club/rental facility for makers
Cons
bad business model for pittsburgh location
Unproductive training due to management.
FD Lead Salesman (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXSeptember 19, 2016
Management was trying to keep up with a shop that had been poorly ran for quite some time. I was hired in during a transitional period, with pricing, and growth, etc. We tried a new tiered membership system, which was an ultimate failure, and I got laid off due to corporate cutting company expenditures and jobs by 35%.

I loved the mentality of the members, but I joined at a time where my fellow employees bad attitudes were affecting my own.

I was laid off due to cutting company costs, not due to my performance, etc.
Pros
Using company equipment after work, etc.
Cons
No breaks, poor management, poor sales techniques, unorganized structure and environment.
Fun open-minded workplace
Dream Consultant, Class Instructor (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJune 27, 2016
The Management team is always in transition, whether it be for travel or just not hired and leaves the employe feeling leader-less and unsuccessful.
Pros
Free membership and training
Cons
Short lunches, Low pay
Great and Fun Work Environment
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 12, 2016
-Learned Market Research skills
-Learn how to use every workshop tool
-Learned to work with people my age and older
-Learned how to give a successful pitch
Pros
Free Transportation, Free lunch, and free membership
Exciting maker space full of potential
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 2, 2014
As a relatively new company, there are still kinks to be worked out, but overall TechShop is a great place to work. All the staff are great and the community of members is very positive.