Teck Resources Limited Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Work
INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR AND IT FIELD (Current Employee) –  Virginia, Maryland, and DCMarch 9, 2018
I have a unique combination of technical skills and the ability to build strong customer relationships. This allows me to use my knowledge and break down information to be more user friendly. Furthermore I am effective and knowledgeable working with cultural, social and economic differences building on similarities to establish an interactive team environment which will inspire cooperation and productivity; supporting the team efforts with expert advice, strategic planning and an evaluation of the need for any additional training required to support personal as well as team growth and effectiveness.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
not much god to say.
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Kotzebue, AKSeptember 9, 2017
Although they provided training there is little advancement opportunities. The company operates on the "good old boys club principle, not a positive culture."
open discrimination
Operator/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Red Dog Mine, AKJuly 20, 2017
This employer openly discriminates against non-native employees. Double standards. Almost as if two different employee manuals exist. Promotions will not happen for non-native applicants.
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
employees are a disposable commodity.
ok place to work but a different culture
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 18, 2017
The place is not for everyone long hour away from home and a different culture base. long night in winter plus the cold and long days in summer,.wild life was never a problem
Pros
good pay
Cons
lots of time away from family, friends and home
It was an experience to work under journeymen.
Heavy Equipment Journeyman Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Dog Mine, AKJune 21, 2017
My apprendiceship was completed in five years. I liked working with most journeymen there. learned alot though them. gained alot of knowledge. To show the younger generation. Would like to show the young with my experience now. What life is all about.
A very busy work place, with nice and friendly people.
Port Laborer (Former Employee) –  Red Dog Mine, AKJune 7, 2017
The job was a 24 hour workplace 7 days a week. I would work 12 days. I've learned to communicate more and a whole lot of things. met new people. got to see a lot of wild life animals.
Challenging and suportive atmosphere.
Maintenance Planner (Current Employee) –  Metaline Falls, WAJanuary 20, 2017
A challenging place to work enjoyed the freedom that management allowed to complete my projects. Always very safety oriented with the employee in mind.
Pros
Management ethics, pay/benifits, working with contractors/vendors/managment
Cons
Employee mindset not productive or positive
Teck
Lime room operator (Former Employee) –  Red Dog, AKJanuary 18, 2017
I love working for Teck, I really for to know my co-workers. I always had my supervisors there to help me no matter what. Every question or anything they were there to help me. No wasn't an answer
Sauna, Gym, Exercise Room,
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Dog Mine, AKJanuary 13, 2017
typical day at work is staying busy. Working safe, good communication with everyone. Always expect the unexpected, being alert, always looking out for your co-workers. Always looking to go home healthy and safe.
Pros
flying you to the mine and back home.
Changed
Operator (Current Employee) –  Logan lakeDecember 15, 2016
Not like it used to be. A lot of job cuts and no way for employees to advance unless you are an engineer. They no longer offer apprenticeships.
Pros
Compensation good
Cons
Job cuts
Away from home too much
Employee (Current Employee) –  Red Dog Mine, AKNovember 10, 2016
Not all Teck Mines are remote like the one I work at. I work 4 weeks on-site, away from my family so it is quite difficult. However, they offer a gym, game room, movie room, and other amenities to help make up for it.

The CEO is also very involved with each of the properties which I think is an excellent quality to have. He keeps each property up to date with current events relating to our industry as well as financial information. He is not one who tries to cover up any short-comings.
Pros
Free food all day every day
Cons
Advancing to a managerial position can be difficult........
good management of resources and efficient operation
Senior Engineer Supervising, Mining (Former Employee) –  Hinton, ABSeptember 26, 2016
good overall planning and coordination between the planning and operations department. routine and regular meetings to present and critique the plan as well as make revisions.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long commute
Teck Alaska
Human Resources Administrator (Former Employee) –  Red Dog Mine, AKAugust 20, 2016
Management (especially HR) will not go out into the field but instead stay in the office with the door closed the majority of the time. Not a great company to work for because they treat employees wrong.
Pros
Free room and board while onsite
Cons
Senior Management
Teck Alaska
HR Administrator (Former Employee) –  Red Dog Mine, AKAugust 20, 2016
Teck Alaska is one of the worst employers to work for in the world. They don't treat employees right and employees are too scared to say anything because they're afraid to lose their high paying job.
Pros
Free room and board while onsite
Cons
Senior Management
Great work atmoshpere with saftey as priority
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Dog Port SiteApril 20, 2016
Safety was always placed above production, and still is. Business is a constant labor there, along with motivated co workers the hardest part of the Job was leaving on a rotational schedule back home.
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
were not always allowed to work overtime
Good air quality, clean mine
Underground Miner (Current Employee) –  Metaline Falls, WAAugust 31, 2015
Mine provided safe work environment, ability to learn in a controlled environment. Good life work balance. Close knit crew. Co-workers willing to teach and assist in new task.
benefits
Cons
travel distance
My first project above the Arctic Circle
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Dog Mine, AKJuly 3, 2015
I liked the challenging atmosphere of a project in a remote area with only 4 month access for large material supply.
The management and operations group of Teck was an example of an effective team. They had a goal to support the project team to the best of their abilities and as a result we were able to finish the project on time and 15% under budget.
Pros
great team
Cons
lots of travel time to/from site
a great place to work
Millwright (Former Employee) –  red dog alaskaMay 24, 2015
a great place to work with a lot of hrs a week its in a remote location you fly in fly out work a 2 week on 1 week off or 4 weeks on 2 weeks off rotation.
Pros
free breakfast lunch and dinner
Cons
very remote
Safety & Training Officer (Current Employee) –  AlaskaApril 26, 2014
Teck is a great company to work for, with great benefits and positive work atmosphere. my only complaint is the schedule
Big mining company
Production/Process Engineer, Silver Refinery (Former Employee) –  Trail, BCJanuary 1, 2014
Lead and manage small-scale process improvement/development projects from inception to implementation.