TED Conferences Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Inside TED
Associate Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 21, 2018
the company does not promote what it preaches. TED does not like to hire minorities, the minorities hired are just a number and completely dispensable.
great place to work
Ideas Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2017
TED was a wonderful place to work — full of people who enjoy what they do and seem pushed to work hard for good results because that's what they actually want to happen rather than because of a personal agenda. More companies could learn from them.
Interesting volunteer job
Volunteer translator (Current Employee) –  From homeSeptember 10, 2017
Interesting volunteer job to learn how to translate and synchronize subtitles. The talks are always interesting and about very different topics. Other translators are reliable and helpful.
TEDxNaperville is awesome!
Outreach Coordinator and Exhibit Producer (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILAugust 10, 2017
I would do this again and recommend everyone get involved with their local TEDx event. You get to meet so many great people and have the opportunity to showcase your skills.
Love it!
Partnership Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 5, 2017
TED is the best!

TED is a nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or less). TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues — in more than 100 languages. Meanwhile, independently run TEDx events help share ideas in communities around the world.
Good working atmosphere - competent co-workers
Departmental Technician (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 16, 2016
Public sector with usual politics in place. Some departments leave much to be desired whereas others make up the difference. Co-workers are personable and competent. Working hours are adequate however more flexibility would be appreciated. Enjoyable aspect of job is the ability to work independently and ability to structure one's work day.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Changes without notification
Great Workplace
Client Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Delray Beach, FLSeptember 12, 2016
My co-workers are great and they are always there when I need help or have a question about something we have new.
A typical day at The TED Center is I would go in my office answer any voicemail messages, call clients who have an appointment the net day to confirm, do my follow- up calls. File the client files, schedule any new clients an appointment.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
not a lot of hours
An evolving and wonderful family
Video Curation Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2016
When I joined TED in 2012, we had something like 80 employees. As I leave in 2016, we have almost 200. It's been awesome watching the company evolve to fit that growth, in all its fits and starts. At the end of the day it hasn't lost the sense that we're all a family, working stressful and overworked hours. We do it because... well, we like it so much. The people I've met in the last four years have become real friends. I want that in any place that I work next.

After three years, as I started to feel burnt out in the role I was originally hired for I was lucky to have the support of not just my manager, but also so many other people to find a new project that challenged me to grow as a professional person. They all recognized that I still wanted to give something back to TED while being able to try something different. I value that so much.

Working at TED made me understand what running a website actually means. We might be 200 people, but we are still innately scrappy. I think most websites secretly are, too. I can't wait to find my next one.
Pros
Random bagels, a fantastic healthcare plan, so many TED swag bags that I'm drowning, travel
Cons
It's a long, long, neverending marathon
Productive and Positive workspace
Project Manager - Special Projects (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 17, 2016
loved working here. Management really looks after me and my career goals. We worked hard but it was out of love for what we do and present to the world.
Translator and Transcriber (Current Employee) –  Bay Area, CAJanuary 20, 2016
I have been able to translate and transcribe TED Talks online in order to increase accessibility for their videos around the world is extremely rewarding.
Hard place to work
HVAC-R Tech (Former Employee) –  Sarasota FlMay 11, 2015
Was yelled at every morning and was put down at morning meetings in front of other employee, pay was not that great, when I had questions I was told I was a bother and that I should worry about it my self. No communication or at least it was one way me to them. Towards the end I was miserable. Then only good thing was that I did learn my trade better.
Pros
got to go to seminars to expand my eduacation
Cons
No Health care even though every one else at the company had it, Was consistantly belittled and put down
TED is amazing, but a tough place to work!
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2014
TED affords its employees an amazing opportunity to connect with the best and brightest thinkers and doers around the world. It's an amazing organization with a mission that really stands to make the world a better place: to amplify ideas worth spreading!

The work/life balance is nil. Long hours and short weekends are the norm, and pay is substandard. However, the health insurance benefits are the best I have ever seen.

Office culture is hit or miss. Sometimes, people are really excited to be a part of TED, and other times, it gets tough. Management struggles to balance the demands of a fast paced environment and the needs of individual employees. TED hired the most brilliant leaders in a broad variety of industries, but most of them have zero management skills.

The staff at TED is incredible! It's the most connected, brilliant, creative, friendly group of people around. And they are doing incredible things both inside and outside the office.

Overall, I recommend TED! It's amazing in so many ways. Just make sure you have a thick skin and little expectations for advancement.
Fast-paced, fun, and Challenging
TED Conference Intern (Former Employee) –  La Quinta, CAMarch 13, 2013
A typical day consisted of wearing many hats. Not real hats, of course, but rather of being responsible for a number of varying tasks. I learned to work as a go-between for members of the staff and their independent partners, to build and maintain social spaces, to organize groups of workers and assign tasks.

My supervisor was, a clear communicator, a tension diffuser, and an extremely hard worker. I found myself trying to match her level of work ethic, and I struggled to do so.

The hardest part of the job was the hours. Because the conference only lasts one week, all of the work required of me occurred in a 10 day period. Each day was very long, but the staff, the creative environment, and the support of my co-workers made every day enjoyable.
Pros
working with driven, capable people from canada
Cons
i commuted from riverside to la quinta, so the drive was not ideal.