TEGNA Employee Reviews

Micro Management at Hatch
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 25, 2018
Pretty good environment. Although management at Hatch in Dallas is really bad about over thinking and micro managing. At first I thought they were kind and pretty cool. I later found out that they were a bit... well... should I say, a bit sneaky and border - line slimy.
Great Company
Senior Regional Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 19, 2018
Great Company, they are in tune with the customers needs and make a commitment to their employees, I would give them a high rating and would reccommend working here
corporate mentality at its worst
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 10, 2018
Lack of training for support staff. company focused on very large market results - do not get involved if in smaller market. Changes direction, focus regularly, which changes pay structure, products and book of business without warning.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
corporate at its worst.
Micromanagement from the top down
Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 10, 2018
KENS 5 is a great place to work if you like to be micromanaged. The GM acts as the news director, sales director and marketing director. All of the managers are only there to further their career then move up or out. When an employee leaves, they usually don’t fill that position and you’ll be expected to take on the extra workload without getting compensated for it.
Pros
It’s in San Antonio
Overall not so great
Motion Graphic Artist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 9, 2018
Cons far outweigh the pros at this company. Leadership is often indecisive and/or decisions flip-flop from day to day. The pay is not enough to live on and promotions and/or raises are essentially non existent. The turn-over is incredibly high and is understandable by the way they treat their employees.

But sometimes we get free lunches, get free flu-shots, discounts to lots of sponsored local events, and flexible hours.
Pros
lunches, discounts, friendly coworkers
Cons
no promotions, no raises, overtime is used as an option to make more money
No room for advancement, low wages, high demand
Sales (Former Employee) –  IdahoSeptember 30, 2018
The job doesn't offer room for growth in any way. You will make well under what most employers pay and they will sell it as a fun place to work but you're hardly allowed to have any fun or enjoy anything, even if your work is getting done. Managers good a lot of meetings but nothing ever changes. The communication is terrible and the turnover is high.
Pros
Summer bbqs, occasionally win free tickets to small events
Cons
Low wages, No advancement opportunity, poor training, stressful
Much needed structure in the department I was in
Cash Posting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 10, 2018
Structure and training is needed in the accounting department. Supervisor was not very helpful or hands on. The entire AURA in the finance department was depressing and I have never worked for a company where co workers don't socialize or unable to socialize with one another. There are nice people in the company but the entire finance department need restructuring.
Absolutely the best job I've ever had
Configuration and Release Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 27, 2018
The everyday work day is constantly met with challenges and amazing people. Our team was hand-picked to create a harmonious environment. I know that sounds like a promotional ad, but after retiring from active duty, working in government contract work and other civilian opportunities, I have never enjoyed the team I work with as much as I do here. There is no internal conflict on our teams and our personalities were definitely considered when building this team. We work hard and produce instant results and publish a number of web products for our stations. Amazing support and customers.
High turn over
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 26, 2018
They can't decide what they like. High turn over poor management. Lots of meetings. Everyone is located on East Coast makes appointments at 5am. Very sneaky.
Pros
Lots of lunches
Cons
2% raise yearly no growth
Good people - bad hours
Freelance Camera Operator/ Jib Operator and PA (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 29, 2018
TEGNA is a great company however the hours of work are not conducive to family life. There are constant changes to my schedule. The work is physically demanding which was acceptable.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Terrible hours
An Honest Review
Multimedia Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 4, 2018
On the surface, TEGNA seems to be an ideal and fun place to work. It seems to offer large growth potential and opportunities to climb within the news industry. Once you’re in, however, you will realize very quickly that this place is a game of serious office politics. You’re either in it, or you are disliked, ignored and forgotten. The individual(s) who put forth the most effort and show willingness to grow and learn will be made to work even harder with no extra pay, while those who show minimal interest or care will be promoted and prosper. You will never receive a raise in pay even if you are handling duties well outside your job description. It is genuinely one of the most demoralizing things to see / live. The company repeatedly and knowingly elects people into positions because of who they are and not what they are or what they can bring to the table. If you are hired for a certain position, do not expect to move roles as TEGNA does not believe in hiring from within. Management is very poorly chosen for certain individuals, and again, not chosen to see you prosper, but to micromanage you. During my quarterly review, I was asked to “show where I had grown in the company”. I blankly stared at that statement for 20 minutes and couldn’t think of a single thing to write as I felt complete stagnancy and zero growth or improvement in the year and a half I had been with the company. Another thing that really bothered me is the intolerance shared by people who don’t share your same view politically. News and politics should never be mixed at work- but this place shoves its views  more... in your face. If you have a different opinion than what they think you should believe, you should stay quiet or you will be disliked and ostracized even more.  less
Pros
Free food on occasion, access to certain events
Cons
Micromanagers, poor management, low pay, no growth potential, political, no raises in pay
new leadershipt
Talent Acquisition Lead (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 15, 2018
The company's new leadership isn't the best and aren't keeping the employees best interests at heart. I wouldn't recommend making a move to this company.
Lovely environment but pay is subpar
Employee (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 5, 2018
It's hard not to love KVUE. It's one the best newsrooms to work in with incredibly bright and talented journalists. However, like most medium markets, there comes a time when you realize you've outgrown the place. It's a shame because Austin is a great town, but it's also really expensive. And unfortunately, the low pay will eventually make you want to pack your bags up for the next gig. Managers should also remember to provide positive feedback as much as the negative.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
low pay
tegna
Broadcast Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 10, 2018
Company is great. Benefits are good. Company culture seems pretty healthy. You just have to get the right position to have influence and be heard to find your place within it.
It's who you know not what you know
DATA ENTRY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2018
This company did not allow women to have ideas and when you came forward with ideas, it was taken on by the men in the company as their own. Also it was very much about who you were friends with, perfect example is that it was discovered that a male temp was paid a dollar more as their female counterpart for doing the same job.
Pros
free lunches, working from home, flexible with appointments or sick days
Cons
Not being recognized for hard work if you didn't play the smoozi
not applicable
Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 6, 2017
great company to work for, depending on the department/team. promotion potential is bottleneck at a certain level. job security is currently low, due to restructuring, mainly for individuals outside of corporate.
Proactive and forward thinking company poised for future growth
Master Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 18, 2017
A typical night at work usually involves staring at multiple computer monitors and overseeing automation playlists. It can get stressful at times, especially on Thursday nights during football season.
Pros
good work environment
progressive company striving to be leader in digital communication
Employee Services Representative (Shared Services) (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 25, 2017
The goal of this corporation is to become the top leader in digital communication. It continues to looks for ways to bring on the best of the best and to share goal incentives with their employees
Pros
Employment opportunities throughout the U.S.
Cons
cost of health care coverage
TV is not what it used to be....
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 10, 2017
Trying to be a digital company in a television world doesn't really work! Really low pay, terrible management and lack of care for employees with lots of experience. Offered buy out to employees 55 and older with 15 years tenure, the smart ones took it.
Pros
car wash in the garage
Cons
Nonexistent healthcare and benefits.
My time with Tegna
Coordinator Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tysone CornerJuly 3, 2017
It was busy. I learned to manage work on my own. Everyone got alone. There wasn't a hardest part in my job. I performed my work. The most enjoyable part is when we all have a luncheon together.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TEGNA. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight