TEGNA Employee Reviews

Much needed structure in the department I was in
Cash Posting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 10, 2018
Structure and training is needed in the accounting department. Supervisor was not very helpful or hands on. The entire AURA in the finance department was depressing and I have never worked for a company where co workers don't socialize or unable to socialize with one another. There are nice people in the company but the entire finance department need restructuring.
Absolutely the best job I've ever had
Configuration and Release Manager (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 27, 2018
The everyday work day is constantly met with challenges and amazing people. Our team was hand-picked to create a harmonious environment. I know that sounds like a promotional ad, but after retiring from active duty, working in government contract work and other civilian opportunities, I have never enjoyed the team I work with as much as I do here. There is no internal conflict on our teams and our personalities were definitely considered when building this team. We work hard and produce instant results and publish a number of web products for our stations. Amazing support and customers.
High turn over
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 26, 2018
They can't decide what they like. High turn over poor management. Lots of meetings. Everyone is located on East Coast makes appointments at 5am. Very sneaky.
Pros
Lots of lunches
Cons
2% raise yearly no growth
Good people - bad hours
Freelance Camera Operator/ Jib Operator and PA (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 29, 2018
TEGNA is a great company however the hours of work are not conducive to family life. There are constant changes to my schedule. The work is physically demanding which was acceptable.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Terrible hours
An Honest Review
Multimedia Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 4, 2018
On the surface, TEGNA seems to be an ideal and fun place to work. It seems to offer large growth potential and opportunities to climb within the news industry. Once you’re in, however, you will realize very quickly that this place is a game of serious office politics. You’re either in it, or you are disliked, ignored and forgotten. The individual(s) who put forth the most effort and show willingness to grow and learn will be made to work even harder with no extra pay, while those who show minimal interest or care will be promoted and prosper. You will never receive a raise in pay even if you are handling duties well outside your job description. It is genuinely one of the most demoralizing things to see / live. The company repeatedly and knowingly elects people into positions because of who they are and not what they are or what they can bring to the table. If you are hired for a certain position, do not expect to move roles as TEGNA does not believe in hiring from within. Management is very poorly chosen for certain individuals, and again, not chosen to see you prosper, but to micromanage you. During my quarterly review, I was asked to “show where I had grown in the company”. I blankly stared at that statement for 20 minutes and couldn’t think of a single thing to write as I felt complete stagnancy and zero growth or improvement in the year and a half I had been with the company. Another thing that really bothered me is the intolerance shared by people who don’t share your same view politically. News and politics should never be mixed at work- but this place shoves its views  more... in your face. If you have a different opinion than what they think you should believe, you should stay quiet or you will be disliked and ostracized even more.  less
Pros
Free food on occasion, access to certain events
Cons
Micromanagers, poor management, low pay, no growth potential, political, no raises in pay
new leadershipt
Talent Acquisition Lead (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAMarch 15, 2018
The company's new leadership isn't the best and aren't keeping the employees best interests at heart. I wouldn't recommend making a move to this company.
Lovely environment but pay is subpar
Employee (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 5, 2018
It's hard not to love KVUE. It's one the best newsrooms to work in with incredibly bright and talented journalists. However, like most medium markets, there comes a time when you realize you've outgrown the place. It's a shame because Austin is a great town, but it's also really expensive. And unfortunately, the low pay will eventually make you want to pack your bags up for the next gig. Managers should also remember to provide positive feedback as much as the negative.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
low pay
tegna
Broadcast Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 10, 2018
Company is great. Benefits are good. Company culture seems pretty healthy. You just have to get the right position to have influence and be heard to find your place within it.
It's who you know not what you know
DATA ENTRY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2018
This company did not allow women to have ideas and when you came forward with ideas, it was taken on by the men in the company as their own. Also it was very much about who you were friends with, perfect example is that it was discovered that a male temp was paid a dollar more as their female counterpart for doing the same job.
Pros
free lunches, working from home, flexible with appointments or sick days
Cons
Not being recognized for hard work if you didn't play the smoozi
not applicable
Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 6, 2017
great company to work for, depending on the department/team. promotion potential is bottleneck at a certain level. job security is currently low, due to restructuring, mainly for individuals outside of corporate.

Want to know more about TEGNA?

Ask a question
Proactive and forward thinking company poised for future growth
Master Control Operator (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 18, 2017
A typical night at work usually involves staring at multiple computer monitors and overseeing automation playlists. It can get stressful at times, especially on Thursday nights during football season.
Pros
good work environment
progressive company striving to be leader in digital communication
Employee Services Representative (Shared Services) (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 25, 2017
The goal of this corporation is to become the top leader in digital communication. It continues to looks for ways to bring on the best of the best and to share goal incentives with their employees
Pros
Employment opportunities throughout the U.S.
Cons
cost of health care coverage
TV is not what it used to be....
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 10, 2017
Trying to be a digital company in a television world doesn't really work! Really low pay, terrible management and lack of care for employees with lots of experience. Offered buy out to employees 55 and older with 15 years tenure, the smart ones took it.
Pros
car wash in the garage
Cons
Nonexistent healthcare and benefits.
My time with Tegna
Coordinator Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tysone CornerJuly 3, 2017
It was busy. I learned to manage work on my own. Everyone got alone. There wasn't a hardest part in my job. I performed my work. The most enjoyable part is when we all have a luncheon together.
Fast Paced
Corp Finance (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAJune 20, 2017
Fast paced company focused on finding a niche in the future. Corporate team is shifting from focus on reacting to CEO requests to innovating and serving the field.
Productive and fun place to work
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 29, 2017
Fun place to work but Management changes too much and they are not committed to see others grow especially minorities. I love my career and my clients I work to provide them excellent customer service.
Pros
Environment
No review at this time.
Video Editor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 2, 2017
Seems like a forward thinking Media Company trying to navigate an ever changing landscape" (in 6 reviews)

"TEGNA has provided a stable, yet friendly and balanced work environment" (in 5 reviews)

Recommends

Positive Outlook

Approves of CEO

I have been working at TEGNA full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment, great co-workers, awesome benefits and a very down to earth leadership team. They acknowledge good work and reward employees for their efforts. Also, in my dealing with Sr. Leadership - they care a lot about their employees and are always proactively looking for ways to be a better employer - they treat people like family and not just another "Employee Number."

Cons

VERY big - so there can be some disconnect between departments and "branches" of the tree, but they are aware of that and seem to be working to improve cooperation and communication.

Advice to Management

Focus on engagement and ways to boost employee interest in staying with your organization for the long-term - increase mentorship/leadership programs. You have smart, young workforce that will be loyal to you if you show interest in their futures.
Stay away!!!
Video Editor (Former Employee) –  Washington StateApril 29, 2017
Worked under Tegna for two years. They paid us next to nothing, even with several years of prior experience. The raises and bonuses were a joke. Management did not know what they were doing and were placed as a result of corporate giving early retirements out to those who had been working with the stations for decades.
Cons
Pay, work life
its ok
Master Control Hub Operator (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 1, 2017
as with every job there are positives and negatives.

the positives: they are willing to promote from within, its easy to communicate with upper management.

The Negatives: the pay is awful. the comp it awful. managers are uninterested and never on site
Great Company
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 1, 2017
I have been working for this company for close to a year and i really love it. This is a very good company to work for! This company offers great pay, good work environment, great benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TEGNA. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight