Ten Thousand Villages Employee Reviews

Tightly knit work family.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 14, 2019
I began working there as my second job and within a few weeks opened on my own and worked shifts on my own. The manager is trusting and the employees are also trusting. Making friends with your coworkers is easy there. At the end of my time there, the management was going through a bit of a crisis, but normally it is not like that.
Pros
free coffee, employee discount.
Cons
minimal parking, poor management.
fun place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILMarch 26, 2019
Nice customers, nice staff, the Manager is a good friend of mine. Fun to work with the staff, lost to do, lots of very interesting projects from all over the world to buy and look at. Enjoyed talking to the staff, Customers, workers, and volunteers. Really enjoy myself every time I show my face in the store.
Pros
Discounts, Potlucks, Many events
Cons
Meetings, Packing, checking inventory
Peaceful environment/workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH 45208March 17, 2019
Although I was only a volunteer, working with the people there was enlightening and inspiring. The employees were very welcoming and helped in every way they could. They made it their mission to teach about the items in the store and to tell the stories behind those items in order to give praise to those who had made these items.
Productive and nice place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, NJFebruary 6, 2019
I loved working at Ten Thousand Villages. The atmosphere was stress free and serene. It was a very comfortable working environment. My manager was very team oriented, kind and reasonable. If the Highland Park, NJ store had not closed I would love to return and volunteer. It is a great place to work as well as shop. I was very saddened by their closing a year and some change ago.
Pros
employee discount, flex hours
Cons
Not much business so it was hard to get hired after being a volunteer
Loved Working Here
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJFebruary 4, 2019
Working here I've learned a lot about their mission and the women and children behind it. Amazing story amazing mission. And the people I got the pleasure to meet was just amazing for such a short time.. All because we was a pop up.. But I'm happy I got the chance to work with them.
It had a very safe and relaxed environment, I learned a lot. Over all it was a very good experience.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 10, 2018
From start to finish, working at Ten Thousand Villages was a very fun and relaxed experience. Everyone is incredibly kind and after a while I really started to feel that everyone there was like a second family.
Pros
Short hours, good people, good purpose.
Cons
monotonous
This place is great for work and volunteer because of the pure mission of this company.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 3, 2018
This is a non-profit company that relies on volunteers and that is why I am payed nothing for my services. I stay becuase I love the atmosphere here and the employees that I work with are absolutely amazing people. The goal at Ten Thousand Villages is to allow others to recieve a stable income where there is struggles with poverty. The thought of that is why I stay and I don't intend to leave anytime soon. This is a great place to volunteer or work because you know that you are making a difference in someone's life.
Lovely store and staff
Retail Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 25, 2018
I volunteer 3 and 1/2 hours per week at Ten Thousand Villages. I love the organization and its mission. I wanted to have some experience in a retail environment before transitioning to paid work and Alex, my manager, has been extremely supportive and flexible. I've enjoyed working here. The best part of the job is getting to work on displays. The most challenging is promoting events and dealing with low foot traffic.
Positive non profit community
Store Visual Merchandising Intern (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 30, 2018
I gained so much insight into the world of sweatshops in developing countries and discovered how each purchases can cripple an economy or build an stronger world-wide infrastructure.

The customers, volunteers, and overall community of people at Ten Thousand Villages are dedicated volunteers, conscious consumers, and high quality citizens.

I enjoyed working in this non profit in a positive environment devoted to educating, facilitating, a better local and global community.
Mission-driven non-profit
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  CTJuly 2, 2018
Ten Thousand Villages places the well-being of their artisans at the core of their mission, and can be a satisfying job for someone who cares about doing good in the world. You get too be surrounded by beautiful products, and most of the staff that I've met are very pleasant to work with. However, they pay managers less than the industry standard -an amount that is below what is considered a "living wage" in my state- and the pay isn't adjusted if you live in an expensive state. There is little opportunity for advancement within the company, or personal development. In the last year, the uncertainty surrounding the company's future has led to a lot of store closings and staff reductions, and management seems to use threat of job loss as a motivational tool. Hours are being reduced to an amount that is sometimes not enough for staff to live on, which makes it hard to continue to sell the company as "ethical" in their labor rights, because what applies to the producers does not seem to extend to domestic employees.
Pros
reasonable hours
Cons
low pay, no job security, no opportunity for advancement or professional development
This is a Fair Trade store!
Stock Room Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 25, 2018
The store is beautiful and educational! It carries handmade items of skilled craftsmanship from many remote locations around the world. The people who work there are caring individuals who share belief in the Fair Trade philosophy and its importance to developing communities.
Pros
You do work that benefits others. You spread the Fair Trade philosophy.
Fantastic Job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAJune 13, 2018
I love this job, I been very well trained in how to be a Sales Associate. The staff is super friendly and kind, as well as helpful to everyone. The management is very solid.
Fun Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJune 9, 2018
I worked here during high school as a volunteer and I cannot say enough good things about the company and women I worked with. The message behind what they stand for is wonderful, giving back to third world countries. The women were all so sweet and a pleasure to work with, including management. I learned a lot of great skills from working here and I'm thankful for the opportunity I was given.
Pros
Discounts on items, great training support and managment
Cons
it was productive very fun workplace
Gift Finder Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 18, 2018
i think it was a grate place to work. l enjoyed my time there. i met lots of people from around the world. my experience there was pleasant and i will mess it.
Pros
meat lots of people from different walks of life
Cons
temp job
fun
Inventory, assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 23, 2018
A typical day at Ten Thousand Villages was slow but fun. I was a volunteer. Boring

I learned nothing

the hardest part was all the standing

I made a good friend
Pros
made some friends
Cons
not enough hours
Lovely Until the End
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 5, 2018
I loved my specific branch of the company. Our store was filled with the best people, both my co-workers and those who shopped there. It was nice to walk in and know that you were working for a good cause that effected people around the world. Learning about other countries and their cultures was a unique part of the job and one that I greatly enjoyed and paired nicely with my anthropology classes.
The requirements weren't too bad either. So long as you could state the company's motto every time someone came into the store, weren't on your phone, and were dressed appropriately you were a great worker.
However, there were issues that ended with a bunch of stores closing down. It was a bummer to lose such a wholesome and unique business due to this.
But at the end of the day I still have the things I learned at the store and the memories I made with my coworkers to look back on and that's really what matters.
Great mission and products, I don't like working retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 12, 2018
I love the mission of providing fair wages and sustainable work for people in developing countries, especially women artisans. I also enjoyed sharing stories of the artisans with customers. Unfortunately, while I do want to promote this organizations work, I do not like working in a retail environment.
Pros
great mission
Cons
it's retail
#LiveLifeFair
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 12, 2018
Ten Thousand Villages is the world's eldest fair trade nonprofit. They helped start the World Fair Trade Federation and they genuinely care about the countries and individuals they purchase from as well as nourishing the heart, the employees, of every location they hold. It is a great place to work with livable wages and amazing benefits.
Great organization - Excellent new leadership team
Manager (Current Employee) –  Akron, PADecember 14, 2017
Perhaps the most idyllic work environment you can imagine - everyone is very highly motivated and engaged. The organization has a team spirit. The work / mission is for a worthy cause that makes you feel good!

The company faces many challenges as a multi-channel distributor of fair trade products from around the world.

The company had suffered for a long time with weak executive leadership - lack of clear vision, direction and extremely poor communication. However, in 2017 a new leadership team was put in place and they changed the culture and direction dramatically - for the better. The future looks bright.

This is a great organization for anyone who really wants to make a difference in the world with their career.
Pros
Atmosphere, Culture, Mission driven, Health benefits
Cons
Relatively Low salaries
Wonderful Non-Profit Retail Serving Others thru their art
Assistant Manager - Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VANovember 16, 2017
Absolutely loved my position at Ten Thousand Villages. A day usually started by opening store, visual merchandising, customer service, inventory, receiving merchandise to benefit developing countries and their works of art. The hardest part of the job sometimes was finding Volunteers to fill roles. Most enjoyable part was visually displaying merchandise and working with others.
Pros
A beautiful non-profit with a mission
Cons
Advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ten Thousand Villages. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight