Ten Thousand Villages Employee Reviews

it was productive very fun workplace
Gift Finder Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 18, 2018
i think it was a grate place to work. l enjoyed my time there. i met lots of people from around the world. my experience there was pleasant and i will mess it.
Pros
meat lots of people from different walks of life
Cons
temp job
fun
Inventory, assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 23, 2018
A typical day at Ten Thousand Villages was slow but fun. I was a volunteer. Boring

I learned nothing

the hardest part was all the standing

I made a good friend
Pros
made some friends
Cons
not enough hours
Lovely Until the End
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 5, 2018
I loved my specific branch of the company. Our store was filled with the best people, both my co-workers and those who shopped there. It was nice to walk in and know that you were working for a good cause that effected people around the world. Learning about other countries and their cultures was a unique part of the job and one that I greatly enjoyed and paired nicely with my anthropology classes.
The requirements weren't too bad either. So long as you could state the company's motto every time someone came into the store, weren't on your phone, and were dressed appropriately you were a great worker.
However, there were issues that ended with a bunch of stores closing down. It was a bummer to lose such a wholesome and unique business due to this.
But at the end of the day I still have the things I learned at the store and the memories I made with my coworkers to look back on and that's really what matters.
Great mission and products, I don't like working retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 12, 2018
I love the mission of providing fair wages and sustainable work for people in developing countries, especially women artisans. I also enjoyed sharing stories of the artisans with customers. Unfortunately, while I do want to promote this organizations work, I do not like working in a retail environment.
Pros
great mission
Cons
it's retail
#LiveLifeFair
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 12, 2018
Ten Thousand Villages is the world's eldest fair trade nonprofit. They helped start the World Fair Trade Federation and they genuinely care about the countries and individuals they purchase from as well as nourishing the heart, the employees, of every location they hold. It is a great place to work with livable wages and amazing benefits.
Great organization - Excellent new leadership team
Manager (Current Employee) –  Akron, PADecember 14, 2017
Perhaps the most idyllic work environment you can imagine - everyone is very highly motivated and engaged. The organization has a team spirit. The work / mission is for a worthy cause that makes you feel good!

The company faces many challenges as a multi-channel distributor of fair trade products from around the world.

The company had suffered for a long time with weak executive leadership - lack of clear vision, direction and extremely poor communication. However, in 2017 a new leadership team was put in place and they changed the culture and direction dramatically - for the better. The future looks bright.

This is a great organization for anyone who really wants to make a difference in the world with their career.
Pros
Atmosphere, Culture, Mission driven, Health benefits
Cons
Relatively Low salaries
Wonderful Non-Profit Retail Serving Others thru their art
Assistant Manager - Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VANovember 16, 2017
Absolutely loved my position at Ten Thousand Villages. A day usually started by opening store, visual merchandising, customer service, inventory, receiving merchandise to benefit developing countries and their works of art. The hardest part of the job sometimes was finding Volunteers to fill roles. Most enjoyable part was visually displaying merchandise and working with others.
Pros
A beautiful non-profit with a mission
Cons
Advancement
Excellent place towork
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCNovember 11, 2017
I enjoyed working here very much. There was a lot to learn and much to educate the public about. It was a great experience everyday. It was my job to add to that experience as manager. I loved educating the customer to the Ten Thousand Village experience.
Pros
Atmosphere, environment, management.
Cons
Hour of operation
Great Organization, Mission and New Leadership Team is AWESOME
Manager (Current Employee) –  Akron, PANovember 9, 2017
New Executive Mgt team has breathed new life into the organization! The team is focused on achieving the mission and making positive change in the world by promoting free market solutions to help lift people out of poverty - very cool !!!
Pros
Mission driven culture, Positive Attitude of Employees
Cons
Pay
It was fun working there
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 7, 2017
I enjoyed working at ten thousand villages. It was cozy and comfy, i was working at a reasonable position doing reasonable things. And it was a relaxing job for the most part.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Breaks
Not good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  DelawareSeptember 21, 2017
Manager was very mean co workers was very disrespectful they would talk behind your back and make mean jestures behind your back just not a good place for work
Pros
Lunch break
Cons
Management co workers
Accounting Assistant
Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, PAAugust 29, 2017
Great people and place to work for. Everyone is kind to one another and tries their best to help each other out. The culture and mission of the company is shared throughout the company from all roles. Everyone here works as a team member to support the mission and aim for a successful outcome.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 29, 2017
Great place to for volunteer jobs if you need hours or looking for work experience. I kind of found it difficult to keep track of every item seeing it changed every month and I was only there 2 days.
Pros
The employees and manger are great to work with and helping customers is always a pleasure.
Cons
didn't like the assistant manager she just made volunteering there miserable
Great work and life balance and friendly enviroment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 7, 2017
I volunteered at Ten Thousand villages in Ann Arbor location. It is very friendly environment. People who get paid have a great work and life balance because they work during store hours. You will work with lots of volunteers and will learn about fair trades.

Like all retails, hardest part was to deal with difficult customers but there are so many great memories that make up for it.
Pros
coffee and store discount
Great
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 5, 2017
Loved working here. Enjoyed the staff and helping the customers. Enjoyed selling the product and the job overall was very satisfying. The staff is so friendly.
Great place to....Volunteer
Volunteer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 28, 2017
If you need Volunteer hours, this is the place to go. The environment is like a gift shop with a story. The only thing is that it's hard to move up. If you want to be a manager or have actually have a paid you have to Volunteer there for years or have experience.
Pros
Volunteers have a higher discount, great place to learn about different cultures
Cons
Almost all positions such as cashiering are volunteer jobs
quick learning enviroment
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Ephrata, PAJune 19, 2017
A typical day at work would look like arrive at 7am, clock in, grab a cart, grab an order, grab scanner, pick the order, and repeat.

I learned at this job how to work at a fast pace in order to get all the orders out.

Management was rarely ever around. The management team usually just sat in their offices.

The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the employee's who have been there for a long time.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the co workers, they were very kind, and didn't mind helping when I needed a hand.
Wonderful mission!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 2, 2017
Ten Thousand Villages has a beautiful mission and so while the store's traffic fluctuated frequently and things occasionally felt stressful, working hard for the artisans that we help and represent always feels good.
I love the store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMay 8, 2017
I believe to work here, one must be a volunteer. The only reason I was paid was because it was through a work-study program at my university. So technically, Ten Thousand Villages did not pay me, my university did. But I absolutely adore this store. Its value and the meaning behind everything is great. I love all the hand-made things, I think they're very cool. The other people that work there are also amazing. It might be a little slow from time to time, but the overall environment and atmosphere is great.
Constant interaction with amazing people
Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 4, 2017
Great mission to fair trade and spreading awareness, beautiful items, passionate coworkers and customers. This is a wonderful place to work, but beware the pay is low (if any). Most of the folks working there are actually volunteers for the cause!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ten Thousand Villages. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6

2.5Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight