Ten Thousand Villages Employee Reviews

Positive non profit community
Store Visual Merchandising Intern (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 30, 2018
I gained so much insight into the world of sweatshops in developing countries and discovered how each purchases can cripple an economy or build an stronger world-wide infrastructure.

The customers, volunteers, and overall community of people at Ten Thousand Villages are dedicated volunteers, conscious consumers, and high quality citizens.

I enjoyed working in this non profit in a positive environment devoted to educating, facilitating, a better local and global community.
Mission-driven non-profit
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  CTJuly 2, 2018
Ten Thousand Villages places the well-being of their artisans at the core of their mission, and can be a satisfying job for someone who cares about doing good in the world. You get too be surrounded by beautiful products, and most of the staff that I've met are very pleasant to work with. However, they pay managers less than the industry standard -an amount that is below what is considered a "living wage" in my state- and the pay isn't adjusted if you live in an expensive state. There is little opportunity for advancement within the company, or personal development. In the last year, the uncertainty surrounding the company's future has led to a lot of store closings and staff reductions, and management seems to use threat of job loss as a motivational tool. Hours are being reduced to an amount that is sometimes not enough for staff to live on, which makes it hard to continue to sell the company as "ethical" in their labor rights, because what applies to the producers does not seem to extend to domestic employees.
Pros
reasonable hours
Cons
low pay, no job security, no opportunity for advancement or professional development
This is a Fair Trade store!
Stock Room Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 25, 2018
The store is beautiful and educational! It carries handmade items of skilled craftsmanship from many remote locations around the world. The people who work there are caring individuals who share belief in the Fair Trade philosophy and its importance to developing communities.
Pros
You do work that benefits others. You spread the Fair Trade philosophy.
Fantastic Job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Northampton, MAJune 13, 2018
I love this job, I been very well trained in how to be a Sales Associate. The staff is super friendly and kind, as well as helpful to everyone. The management is very solid.
Fun Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJune 9, 2018
I worked here during high school as a volunteer and I cannot say enough good things about the company and women I worked with. The message behind what they stand for is wonderful, giving back to third world countries. The women were all so sweet and a pleasure to work with, including management. I learned a lot of great skills from working here and I'm thankful for the opportunity I was given.
Pros
Discounts on items, great training support and managment
Cons
it was productive very fun workplace
Gift Finder Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 18, 2018
i think it was a grate place to work. l enjoyed my time there. i met lots of people from around the world. my experience there was pleasant and i will mess it.
Pros
meat lots of people from different walks of life
Cons
temp job
fun
Inventory, assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 23, 2018
A typical day at Ten Thousand Villages was slow but fun. I was a volunteer. Boring

I learned nothing

the hardest part was all the standing

I made a good friend
Pros
made some friends
Cons
not enough hours
Lovely Until the End
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 5, 2018
I loved my specific branch of the company. Our store was filled with the best people, both my co-workers and those who shopped there. It was nice to walk in and know that you were working for a good cause that effected people around the world. Learning about other countries and their cultures was a unique part of the job and one that I greatly enjoyed and paired nicely with my anthropology classes.
The requirements weren't too bad either. So long as you could state the company's motto every time someone came into the store, weren't on your phone, and were dressed appropriately you were a great worker.
However, there were issues that ended with a bunch of stores closing down. It was a bummer to lose such a wholesome and unique business due to this.
But at the end of the day I still have the things I learned at the store and the memories I made with my coworkers to look back on and that's really what matters.
Great mission and products, I don't like working retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 12, 2018
I love the mission of providing fair wages and sustainable work for people in developing countries, especially women artisans. I also enjoyed sharing stories of the artisans with customers. Unfortunately, while I do want to promote this organizations work, I do not like working in a retail environment.
Pros
great mission
Cons
it's retail
#LiveLifeFair
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 12, 2018
Ten Thousand Villages is the world's eldest fair trade nonprofit. They helped start the World Fair Trade Federation and they genuinely care about the countries and individuals they purchase from as well as nourishing the heart, the employees, of every location they hold. It is a great place to work with livable wages and amazing benefits.
Great organization - Excellent new leadership team
Manager (Current Employee) –  Akron, PADecember 14, 2017
Perhaps the most idyllic work environment you can imagine - everyone is very highly motivated and engaged. The organization has a team spirit. The work / mission is for a worthy cause that makes you feel good!

The company faces many challenges as a multi-channel distributor of fair trade products from around the world.

The company had suffered for a long time with weak executive leadership - lack of clear vision, direction and extremely poor communication. However, in 2017 a new leadership team was put in place and they changed the culture and direction dramatically - for the better. The future looks bright.

This is a great organization for anyone who really wants to make a difference in the world with their career.
Pros
Atmosphere, Culture, Mission driven, Health benefits
Cons
Relatively Low salaries
Wonderful Non-Profit Retail Serving Others thru their art
Assistant Manager - Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VANovember 16, 2017
Absolutely loved my position at Ten Thousand Villages. A day usually started by opening store, visual merchandising, customer service, inventory, receiving merchandise to benefit developing countries and their works of art. The hardest part of the job sometimes was finding Volunteers to fill roles. Most enjoyable part was visually displaying merchandise and working with others.
Pros
A beautiful non-profit with a mission
Cons
Advancement
Excellent place towork
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCNovember 11, 2017
I enjoyed working here very much. There was a lot to learn and much to educate the public about. It was a great experience everyday. It was my job to add to that experience as manager. I loved educating the customer to the Ten Thousand Village experience.
Pros
Atmosphere, environment, management.
Cons
Hour of operation
Great Organization, Mission and New Leadership Team is AWESOME
Manager (Current Employee) –  Akron, PANovember 9, 2017
New Executive Mgt team has breathed new life into the organization! The team is focused on achieving the mission and making positive change in the world by promoting free market solutions to help lift people out of poverty - very cool !!!
Pros
Mission driven culture, Positive Attitude of Employees
Cons
Pay
It was fun working there
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 7, 2017
I enjoyed working at ten thousand villages. It was cozy and comfy, i was working at a reasonable position doing reasonable things. And it was a relaxing job for the most part.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Breaks
Not good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  DelawareSeptember 21, 2017
Manager was very mean co workers was very disrespectful they would talk behind your back and make mean jestures behind your back just not a good place for work
Pros
Lunch break
Cons
Management co workers
Accounting Assistant
Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, PAAugust 29, 2017
Great people and place to work for. Everyone is kind to one another and tries their best to help each other out. The culture and mission of the company is shared throughout the company from all roles. Everyone here works as a team member to support the mission and aim for a successful outcome.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 29, 2017
Great place to for volunteer jobs if you need hours or looking for work experience. I kind of found it difficult to keep track of every item seeing it changed every month and I was only there 2 days.
Pros
The employees and manger are great to work with and helping customers is always a pleasure.
Cons
didn't like the assistant manager she just made volunteering there miserable
Great work and life balance and friendly enviroment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 7, 2017
I volunteered at Ten Thousand villages in Ann Arbor location. It is very friendly environment. People who get paid have a great work and life balance because they work during store hours. You will work with lots of volunteers and will learn about fair trades.

Like all retails, hardest part was to deal with difficult customers but there are so many great memories that make up for it.
Pros
coffee and store discount
Great
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 5, 2017
Loved working here. Enjoyed the staff and helping the customers. Enjoyed selling the product and the job overall was very satisfying. The staff is so friendly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ten Thousand Villages. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight