Tennyson Center for Children Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Stressful job with little support from higher ups
Youth Treatment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 15, 2018
When I was hired, this company bragged about how they promote from within and are supportive of the career development of their employees, but after 2 plus years of dedicated service and being highly qualified for an opening that would be a promotion, I was looked over for an external candidate. I did not feel supported or valuable, and felt that my hard work and commitment did not get me anywhere. The job itself is stressful. The work is with troubled kids who are often aggressive and you can sometimes take a beating, so when you are not rewarded for that work, its a major let down. When I put in my notice, it was the first time I had ever done so without having a job lined up. I couldn't stay in that environment where my blood, sweat, and tears were not appreciated.
Pros
Coworkers became good friends
Cons
Major separation between floor staff and higher ups.
a fun place to work
Teacher/ Youth counselor (Current Employee) –  denver coloradoApril 18, 2018
I enjoy working with the children. I like teaching the children not only the basic but how to survive in the life style of this world. I also teach them how to depend on themselve and fo their best to suceed.
Pros
Taking them on outing
Cons
health insurance
high energy work environment with a moto of changing llives
Building Services Professional (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 15, 2018
working with abused and neglected children was one of the most rewarding jobs i have ever had. If i affected one child in a positive manner or staff member, it made all the lesser qualities of the job dissolve.
Pros
supervisor provided lunch on occasion
Cons
violence form clients or injury to staff
Great People - poor upper management
Collaborative Teacher (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 18, 2018
Great people! Poor upper management! I have never worked with a more caring and educated staff. Tennyson is a great place that cares for many children. It is not managed well.
N/a
Youth Treatment Counselor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 9, 2018
Terrible compensation for the type of work done. There is no consideration for the staff's safety in terms of the physical restraints performed and the staff is unprofessional.
Lack of respect for employees
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 4, 2017
Tennyson and I started on a shaky foot. They jerked me around for a month before offering me a job (I was not working so this was very stressful, though I was willing and responsive). Once hired, I found the staff on my same level were typically rude, cliquey, and immature.

I kept at it and worked hard, with a lack of help from management. I was in several dangerous situations with youth that were preventable if management was more responsive. After months of work, I pursued another position at Tennyson with better hours, which I was denied (they wanted to go with an outside hire, as my off hours would be more difficult to fill). At this point, I put in my two weeks. Management scrambled and offered me the position I had inquired about. However, I declined this offer. I was very disappointed in the agency, and unimpressed with their responsiveness to critical situations.
Pros
Direct care exposure
Cons
Lack of support from management
Meaningful work, great staff, decent hours if overnight is your thing
Overnight Youth Treatment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 22, 2017
You build helping and therapeutic relationships with kids who have been abused and neglected. Stay long enough and you will positively influence their behaviors, sense of safety and self-worth.

You will have lots of interactions with kids upon your arrival and also in the morning. The night goes by pretty fast because most kids sleep well. The morning is the hardest part and goes by slower as kids start waking up.

Most difficult thing was being on your counseling game in the morning after staying up all night monitoring the kids' sleep. You will learn how to manage lots of kids at a time, have a clear speaking voice, be quick thinking and firm, and learn to hold your own. It's hard at first if you're new to working with kids and a bit of an introvert like me, but gets easier as the kids get to know you and you get to know them.

Also hard was sleeping during the day, but you do get 3 days off and one half-night. My schedule was Sat-Mon 9p-8a and Tue 9p-3a . I had Wed, Thu, and Fri off. They were decent hours if overnight is your thing.

Pay was just okay.

Coworkers and staff were A+.
Pros
Experience meaningful helping relationships with children, great staff
Cons
Overnight hours, stressful mornings
Difficult work setting but amazing culture and co-workers!
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 31, 2017
You will never have the same day twice. It can be amazing and also very challenging. The current CEO is an amazing leader and visionary who's heart and experience are laser focused on providing a safe environment for the children, community and the workers of this organization.
Pros
Great co-workers and supervisors, well-intended
Cons
Physically, emotionally and verbally abusive client population
Challenging, Dedicated, Making a Difference in Children's Lives
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 8, 2016
Typical day at work - busy, multi-tasking, non-stop
I have learned that even with challenging students who are not always fun to be around, they are still my number one priority as a teacher.
Managment - Caring and empathetic - but overwhelmed at times, which may lead to unintentional communication gaps.
Co-workers - Over worked, high turn over - most are talented, highly devoted to their jobs and helping their colleagues.
The hardest part of the job is remembering and then utilizing all the tools to effectively manage the behaviors of abused and neglected children, to then be able to teach them.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the chldren - even though they can also be the most challenging at times. I also take in pride in knowing that all of my students make academic and social growth in an often challenging environment to learn.
Pros
Helping less fortunate children, sometimes free lunches, free field trips to intersting places, mostly fun and enjoyable co-workers
Cons
Stressful situations. High turn over of staff because of stress of the job.
Pleasant environment even during moments of controlled chaos
Youth Treatment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 3, 2015
The Tennyson Center for Children has excellent milieu management models, helping keep daily chaos under control. The variety during shifts continues to keep the job interesting and innovative.
Good place to learn basic direct care for a tough population of youth
Youth Treatment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 7, 2012
This agency is filled with employees that care about the children they are working with and genuinely want to make a positive impact. The agency, however, could do a better job supporting their employees in their work with such a difficult population of kids. Co-workers were a positive part of my experience at Tennyson and were very supportive through out my time there.
Truly cared for the well being of every child in care
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 31, 2012
Managed several cases for children in residential care from arrival until they were ready to step down to a lower level of care. Worked closely with several people in the clinical and treatment team to ensure proper services for each child.