Terracon Consultants Inc
Happiness rating is 57 out of 100

Terracon Consultants Inc Employee Reviews

United States386 reviews

Big projects that you can learn from.

OVer all it is a good place to learn. They have some big projects, however, the pay is not good and you have to work long hours. Management is terrible.

Be prepared to be the lowest paid person on jobsite.

Company is good and has a strong safety culture. However, pay is pretty horrible when you consider you can make more flipping burgers then doing construction inspections.

Terracon Consultants Inc insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Great Company!!!

I love working for Terracon! I love my job and the management I have is probably the best I’ve ever worked with. The only con I have is the travel, before I had a family it was awesome! You get to see some really cool stuff and places. However I feel like a lot of travel with a wife and 2 year old at home can be somewhat stressful sometimes. Overall, if you get the opportunity to work with Terracon you will love it!

Learn what you can, then move to different company that values the Boots on the ground no just management.

As a tech you are expected to do all of the on site work and reports. Management will sign their name to your report and reap all the praise from the clients, unless something is wrong then it’s the techs fault.

Pros

Experience in many different aspects of Construction.

Cons

Read my Review

Management no good here

New management has the office very unstable project manager has no clue what he is doing but really good at kissing butt. But overall company is great except the management at the El Paso office. Company let's you go out of town to work when your home office don't do there job and get local work so Company gives you a chance to stay working and making good hrs and per diem while you go out of town to help other office's that there management team gets them plenty of work.

The only good thing about this job was the amazing people I was working beside.

To sum it up my experience at Terracon was me constantly being over worked and getting underpaid. Management was nice until a big corporate shift happened and now it’s just like every other job that screams “corporate America.”

Pros

Lots of company lunches and get togethers

Cons

Over worked and underpaid

Good company to start out with and gain exposure to construction sites when starting out.

I served as a materials technician intern. The job itself was fairly monotonous due to its nature, but overall Terracon was a good company to work for. They gave me the necessary training required to perform this job well and they were flexible in terms of hours and scheduling.

Nothing Unique

Too many Chiefs…They are too concerned with online Teams meetings while in the middle of a project (you have to stop your work, or pull over, walk away from a client meeting, etc..) just to talk about how awesome the company is for 30 minutes. If you make a mistake, it is better to lie and deny than tell the truth, regardless of what they preach. They are very professional and some of their engineers are well above par; however, a lot of promises will be made and not kept. The company is very large and you are just a number in the end but there are chances to advance for those without a college degree, if you work harder than your grandfather did on the railroad…

Great people

When they say they are first at people, it is not an understatement. I have found myself working with the best people unfortunately the pay was not exactly competitive or else I would have stayed. Beyond that, the schedules are also very unpredictable .

Pros

Learning opportunities, working on something new everyday, great people

Cons

Low pay, very demanding schedules

Grounded company with great plans for the future

Feel very secure working at this company, it seems to offer long-term job stability. Great employee-owned culture for professional roles. Leadership has a lot of plans for improving the future of the company (diversity, sustainability, career growth), but requires patience to see those plans put into motion.

Lots of introverted people who work as information silos

The people mostly keep to themselves, do their work, and many appear stressed or overworked. But, people don't try to balance the workload to make it less stressful. Management wants to facilitate work load, but makes no improvements and just talks about it. Generally a boring place to work.

Pros

Pay is competitive.

Cons

Lack of personalities, collaboration, and anything fun during or outside of work.

Management - meh

Had an emotionally abusive manager at this company. Have tons of stories about inappropriate behavior and drama at the two locations where I worked. Pay and benefits were not great. Was forced to drive in a snow storm, work dangerously long hours, work alone in remote locations, and drill near utilities without sufficient subsurface clearance. When issues were brought up around lack of adequate field supplies or safety I was treated as if it was my behavior or attitude that was problematic. Very high turnover. Ok filler job during economic downturn between other jobs. Had a few nice and fun coworkers around my age and fun projects, which got me through at the time.

Good company for Civil Engineers/Geologists, not as good for technicians.

Pros:-Company with good leadership-Emphasis on safety-Meaningful workCons:-Low pay for technicians despite difficult work environment-Extremely busy when in-season, extremely slow offseason.

Toxic fast turnover rate

You will be burned out within the year. Your managers will not actually care about you they will just say so. No support to further career. Majority white employees, lack of diversity and representation in upper management.

Pros

Looks great on a resume

Cons

Toxic management styles

Long days at work, I did learn a lot with Terracon , management was good, I use get very well along with everyone .

I use to like doing my job, and I will love to go back to work for Terracon , but can’t do what I use to do. I will like to but I can’t, but if one day I get the opportunity again I will.

Sometimes hard, great people, decent pay

A typical day consists of multiple site visits, usually within the metro area. Some days are long, and some are hard, but if you get a good training regimine going and put out effort you will find your work gets easier, and the pay increases.I have learned many things through Terracon and other training. They want you to learn and grow, but they don't usually "hold your hand" so to speak. You must show initiative. Which I personally am fine with.Management is usually just great, and only not when you deserve it. We are all human and mess up, but our position is very important to the safety of many people down the road so it is important to do your job correctly. The people who go a little above and beyond have it better off than those who show up and kind of do the job. The ones who don't do it right do not stay around long. That's not to say you do not get chances to learn and better, but you have to use those opportunities.The hardest part of the job for me is the fluctuating hours, but again, if you do your job well and train in different segments of the job you will have far better opportunities to receive chances at "better" hours/job sites.For the most part, the people at the Omaha office are great, caring, and knowledgeable. Most are willing to drop what they have going to help you out with questions etc. And even better for a person like me, I don't have to be "one of the boys" to be treated with respect.Overall, I really think this job (materials) is better suited for younger people. As you progress, in life and work, opportunities will become available to better -

Pros

Indeed is making this really hard to fill out, Terracon has a lot of decent benefits ranging from cell phone reimbursement to free lunches, The insurance is darn good as far as I am concerned, PTO is earned as you go which is nice sometimes and not others but you can usually take a "loan"

Cons

Hours can fluctuate heavily at times and long days during the summer can be rough at times, Hours will be low during winter due to temperatures, but they usually try to get everyone something.

Poor leadership

The Salt Lake City environmental department is always understaffed and likely to be that way for eternity. Managers have no clue who to hire or why. The office is unable to grow and really enjoys environmental site assessments, praying that it will lead into an investigation. Managers who do what suits their needs not the needs of the company, Clients or their subordinates. Company policies and procedures not followed, questionable ethics. A good place to stay for a month or two while looking for a meaningful job.

Good place

Very good place to start your career a lot of work and a lot of room for advancement. Will definitely recommend. Good management and very understanding co workers.

A nice place to work - good people

Terracon provides an opportunity to grow your career and advance in your field. I have worked for Terracon for over 10 yrs and I appreciate the culture that is developed in each of the offices.

Great company with a lot of opportunities for career growth

This is the first job where I do not dread going to each day. I learn something new every day and this company has provided me with many opportunities to advance my career. They are extremely supportive of you as an employee and person.

A good start to further your career

Upper management isn't always the greatest, can at times feel very corporate from their end but you dont often directly interact with them. Supervisory staff very nice and most employees get along really well. Hours can be a little unpredictable depending on weather so that is something to consider. Opportunities to get certifications are plentiful, so if you're looking to bulk your resume this could be helpful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Terracon Consultants Inc. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 30%
In the Top 30% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Terracon Consultants Inc.
Powered byComparably

Compare Terracon Consultants Inc with

• Terracon Consultants Inc
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?