Terracon Employee Reviews

N/a
Administrative Assistant Staff I (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 24, 2019
Working here was an experience, i enjoyed my project managers guidance and support. The atmosphere was a little tense because of the projects incompetencies
Great team with exciting project opportunities!
Geologist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 18, 2019
Terracon has been an amazing place to work. We're given plenty of career advancement opportunities and we're each respected within our areas of expertise. I would recommend Terracon to anyone looking to advance your career and work on some exciting and diverse projects.
Pros
Team atmosphere, great friends, lots of growth opportunities
Cons
Fast-paced
Nothing special in the Northeast section of the country
Special Inspection Technician (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 10, 2019
Nothing special in the Northeast section of the country.
I call it used and abused... that is the norm for Connecticut office. No room for advancement. Held back, poor wages.
Pros
Cons
always moving.
Intern
Internship (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 9, 2019
I worked as in Intern over the summer before my last semester of college. It was a good learning experience, and everyone that helped train me was very helpful.
So much wasted potential
Environmental Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSJanuary 24, 2019
If you are a newbie in need of a job, take it. You’ll learn key skills that will help you when you move on. And move on you will. This company runs you into the dirt, micromanaged your every move and blames you for managers mistakes. And they make big ones. And if you were part of the project, it will be your fault.
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
It’s a loathsome job
Regional Manager clueless
Senior Geoloogist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 24, 2019
Decent company, but has a "sweat shop" mentality. Regional management was pathetic. Local office manager was a joke, and had no understanding of environmental consulting.
Pros
Training
12 hour days, minimal advancement opportunities
Materials Technician/Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAJanuary 20, 2019
A typical day over the past year includes at least three hours of travel. At the beginning of the day you will never know whether you will be home by five or by midnight. Management asks everything of their underlings whilst not giving anything themselves. Salary employees will only ever be seen for 40 hours a week: No more, no less. Hourly workers are expected to be available and on call at all times and days of the week. Expect no less than 12 hour days. The longest I've experienced was 17, though others have had 20+ hour days.
Pros
Plentiful overtime
Cons
Minimal free time
Field Geologist (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJanuary 12, 2019
Great place to work, great coworkers, interesting projects to work on. Sometimes overloaded with project work. Advancement seems to be difficult to come by without 7-10 years experience.
Terracon is the best place I've worked so far.
Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 9, 2019
Terracon was the single greatest company I've had the pleasure to work for. They provided and paid for education growth, uncapped career growth, excellent benefits, company vehicle when needed, and many many more benefits. They were nothing short of fantastic and helped my career growth exponentially.
Too much on mission statements
Engineering Technician IV (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 5, 2019
Terracon attempts to be interested in your life but they really are not interested and are too money driven. Mentoring is done with a stick sometimes. Most managers desire to sit in the office and dictate.
Good Place to Start
ENVIRONMENTAL FIELD ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 2, 2019
This was a great position to learn and grow in the environmental field. Large amount of travel and uneven work schedule. Managers are willing to explain things closely and discuss problems that arise.
Pros
Traveling, Expertise
Cons
Long hours away from home
a fair company
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Winter Park, FLDecember 27, 2018
management style varies between offices. This can result in very different cultures from city to city. The company has tremendous resources but at times lacks focus.
Pros
resources
Cons
a very large company
laid back
Drilling Assistant/Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 23, 2018
The company was very laid back and easy-going. However, the employees were underpaid and the management seemed unqualified for their position. I would not recommend this job to someone trying to live on their own
Client Development
Project Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 22, 2018
Terracon had an excellent client development / retention team that it leveraged throughout the organization. The opportunity to work on a diverse group of projects for a diverse base of clients was present at Terracon
Full of racists
Accounts Receivable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 10, 2018
It's been awhile since I worked here but I remember the manager of accounting was a racist and so was the director of human resources and the CFO. After I left the black woman that replaced me filed a complaint with EEOC. i know because she contacted me to see if I had filed one because she experienced the same issues I had experienced.
Good Job with Good Benefits but No Life Outside of Work
Construction Materials Technician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 3, 2018
The benefits are good, but as a materials field technician, the job work/life balance is very poor. If hired as a materials field technician, and once you are able to go to jobs without supervision, you will be working 60-80+ hours weekly excluding weather days.
Pros
Good people to work with, good benefits.
Cons
Job work/life balance if poor.
RUN...as fast as you can!
Special Inspector/Tech (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZNovember 28, 2018
Worked for Terracon for 1 year. That was all I can handle.
Project managers have no clue, and never have answers to jobsite issues
No employee backing on jobsites
Higher management will tell you one thing, then do complete opposite.
Management will make promises that are never kept.
Hours are horrible, you may work few hours during the day, and are expected to come in at midnight for an hour.
Other times they overload you with hours for a week or two, then you may end up staying home with nothing.
Dispatch ....oh my goodness...tempe office dispatch had no clue, but sure did like to "act" like she was a boss!
Senior staff are treated like gods, while hourly employees are just an employee number!
I could continue, but if you're looking f or a job...your better off running from this organization!
Cons
Worked on a variety of projects
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Wheat Ridge, COOctober 24, 2018
Terracon provided me with the opportunity to work on a variety of projects. I enjoyed learning from the various disciplines represented in the company that included, geotechnical, facilities management, and materials testing.
Pros
Good variety of work
Cons
Unsatisfactory management
Well Managed Company to Grow with.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LouisianaOctober 9, 2018
Office atmosphere was fun and collaborative. Pay could be a little better however better than some of our competitors. Management was good benefits decent and training excellent.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Chargeability Drive
Challenging work environment with high expectations.
Geotechnical Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 25, 2018
It has been over a decade since I worked at Terracon, so things may have changed, but when there were expectations to work well over 40 hours per week.