Terwilliger Plaza

Working at Terwilliger Plaza: 29 Reviews

United States29 reviews

careplacegoodpeoplemanagementgreatjobwork

consistant hours

nice place to work but we were always short-staffed. stable job hours and they go through people fast. I worked the night shift for 3 years and had a lot of downtime.

Pros

yearly hop card

Cons

alway short staffed

pretty good

Pretty good place. The members are generally very nice and so are the coworkers. Management is pretty good for a restaurant. Don’t get tips which isn’t ideal for a serving job. Good for getting experience in serving. Free trimet passes

Pros

nice people, understanding management, flexible schedule

Cons

weird hours

Terwilliger Plaza insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging

Good environment but be mentally prepared

Good, clean environment to work in, it really is a 5 star building and in a great neighborhood. Amazing views of downtown, we used to have access to the cafeteria downstairs at half off but with COVID in place now I am not sure, all in all great coworkers, but do realize if you are a CNA you will be working with Alzheimer patients and that requires a lot of mental and physical stamina. So make sure your back and core are solid otherwise you may get injuries. Terwilliger also has a lot of employee benefits for classes, mental health, and a very open-door feel to dealing with management and HR, company culture is pretty good.

Pros

Good food, nice environment, form good relationships

Cons

Not the best pay but it is about average for CNA.

Good place to work, good team work. Often short staffed for caregivers but they do a good job and genuinely care about the residents. Residents are lovely. Clean environment.

Pros

Flexibility, nice residents and staff

Cons

Often short staffed

Wonderful!

I absolutely loved working here. I was a stay at home mom for 4 years and this was my first job back in the saddle. It was wonderful. Flexible, plenty of shifts to pick and hours that I could work with a sitter.

Pros

Hours, pay, residents, managers

Cons

Location, parking

If only there was an ACTUAL chance of advancing...

Benefits are amazing, the free HOP card is a great benefit, holiday bonuses are amazing as well. Sucks we’re losing the parking lots, but such is life working in Portland. My biggest complaint is being here almost 5 years and that’s STILL not enough time apparently to allow me to advance in my own department. It’s extremely discouraging that you can’t truly grow despite being faithful and experienced here. So if you’re looking for somewhere to grow, it’s probably not here. But if you need fantastic benefits, this is the place!

It is not busy work environments. Residents are very kind, families appreciate staffs

Management is good. Good coworkers. No hassle at work. Loved residents. Managers are approachable. If you want to learn clinical, this is not the place for nurses. If you love to work with geriaritric population, this is best jobs for you. The best part is that facility is very clean environment and smoke free.

very nice place

THis place is very nice and clean.Staffs are good and hard working.Member are all from very highly educated and respectful background.The location is is the heart of city.

Great Place to Work!

Terwilliger Plaza was my first 'real' HR job. I began as an HR Intern in 2017, got offered a full-time HR Administrative Assistant/Coordinator position, and shortly after, was promoted to HR Generalist. I stayed with the company for two years. During my time there, we went through several changes: process/structure change, people and culture change, etc. The turnover rate is a bit high in the health services and dining services department, but when compared to the retirement industry, it is actually a lot lower than others! We have a fantastic management team that genuinely cares about the staff. TP also has an amazing 401k retirement plan. If you are looking for a company that will help you grow and develop, TP is the right place to be! They offer paid training and certifications, scholarships, tuition reimbursement, etc. TP is currently growing right now which is a very exciting time to join the team! The only downside of working there is that there will not be a parking lot for employees, however, a TriMet annual hop card is given to every staff. I have enjoyed my time with TP and will miss each and every one of them. TP was like my second family! I wish TP nothing but the best and look forward to watching them grow!

diverse, respectful workplace with happy people.

The residents and staff are educated, genuine people. You have to love people to work in assisted living though. including the joys and perils that come with the geriatric population.

Very Poor Management

Management was great when I first started. Pretty awful now. A lot of favoritism going on.Theu only pretend to care about the staff. Constant understaffed (nurses & CNAs)w/no compensation & will have the nerve to write you up when things don't get done. Caregivers are often asked to do things outside of job description when work load is already super heavy. Communication amongst staff , nurses is TERRIBLE! IF you're looking to advance or change your placement, better hope you're one of their favorites. Cause you will get the-run-around. They won't sit you down and talk to you like an adult either.q Sometimes I find them to be a bit rude. O But they do have good benefis g the members are enjoyable... So, there's that

Not the best place to work

Management was great when I was first hired. Back then they actually seemed to know what they were doing & they cared about the caregivers/CNAs. Now, it seems like there's little to no professionalism & a lot of favoritism going on. Very. poor.communication. Hopefully you're not strong minded individual. Don't cspeak your mind. You'll be ignored. Probably end up pigeon holed into a placement cwith no room for advancement. They do at least hook you up with good benefits & tri metcpasss. So, there's that... Just know what you're walking into Sure

Fun and supportive company to work at. Flexible staffing and they motivate staff for career advancement.

I had a good 4 and a half years of working experience at this Company. They're a big part of what i became today. I was able to achieve my goal to become a nurse because they gave an opportunity for career advancement by promotion. It gave me the motivation and encouragement to be more productive and progressive in life. My experience working here is not always perfect but they work hard to improve and make some changes to keep their staff happy and less stress. Overall i would rank them as one of the best facility to work at in the Portland area.

Pros

Good benefits, fun Christmas party and flexible schedules

Cons

Short breaks and less parking slots

Collaborative environment with the right priorities.

The team at Terwilliger Plaza was great, everyone there was truly focused on making the best environment for the folks that live there. The management team works well together with a common goal and is very collaborative. Company had a great culture and goes out of it's way to retain good people. Care provided by staff is truly top-notch.

Pros

Great benefits, discounted trimet pass, self-governed community

Cons

Limited parking

Flexible Hours and willing to work with students

Terwilliger's residents making coming to work desirable. The hardest part is being understaffed and people often calling out. They are always willing to work with your schedule if you tell them days in advance and it really eases the load on coworkers as well.

Pros

Great Environment

Cons

Short Staffed.

Creative environment with no red tape

I've worked at TP for three years. My experience has been one of care and creativity. When there are obstacles there is a direct line of communication with management all the way up to the CEO. I look forward to my coworkers every day. The Members are heavily engaged with the employees and truly care.

Pros

Free bus pass, excellent 401k, job growth, growing business

Was lead to believe in orientation that there was advancement in the company, benefits and lots of work.

After working very hard, being available, never missed a day of work, gave up part of my personal life to cover last minute call ins and no show employees some were allowed to be hours late to there shifts and still remain working? Very unfair to responsible employees like myself who had to be in standby coverage was terrible with sub par staffing management and vacant senior management who could not even say hello to you in the hallways or elevator making culture and morale hidden behind closed doors and lots of gossip and favoritism (I.e. they have a woman who works in the Metcalf as a nurse/aid? who has to use a walker would wobble about and bark orders at new employees treating them like subordinates and allowed to sit down and do nothing most of shift that’s been there many years because she’s friends with the ceo.) Unfortunately the work culture lacks lustre when mean spirited staff/ management and upper management turns a blind eye to good hard working caregivers and in-home workers as cattle or disposable unless you “play the game”The budget is being saved for a new building? Employees wages is way to low for the volume of work and at night shift charge nurse has to cover the whole complex so they are not available in several capacities when needed half the time. Some senior night-shift caregivers would spend half their shift outside smoking so new caregivers would find themselves trying to assist the whole floor by themselves and some equipment like the pagers and radios working half the time or short supply. Lots of flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants scenarios. To -

Pros

Discount on the cheap grade cafeteria style food and a bus pass

Cons

Staff that have stayed for years reap the rewards) favoritism, low morale, last minute meetings to cover mistakes made by upper management, blaming insubordinates, understaffed most of time, trying to run the place on a dime.

I can't say anything good.

This was the worst place I ever worked. Management was awful! Scheduling was inconsistent, never had hours, poor pay, manager treated people as if they were stupid, no training until you made a mistake, then you were wrote up and given some training.

ok place.

it is an ok place to work. as with all places that cater to the elderly there is a sever staffing issue. it always seems like people are calling out last minute and that someone is not showing up when they are supposed to. but those that do show up are awesome.

Pros

breaks, good benefits

Cons

stadding issue.

Positive Internship Experience

I have enjoyed my time at Terwilliger Plaza as an intern very much. The staff is very friendly and getting to know the members has been great for me. I would love to continue to have a relationship with the individuals I have been able to work with here and would highly recommend any kind of work, interning, or volunteering that can be done with Terwilliger Plaza.

I love working here!

I have worked for the Plaza for just over a year and couldn't be more happier! I am so impressed by the team of talent they have assembled. Management and the Members truly care about the staff. They are always striving to ensure staff receive fair and competitive wages. The nurses and caregivers are top-notch, work well as a team, and support each other. People take pride in their work and it shows. Of course, the Members are the best part - they truly appreciate the hardworking staff and demonstrate their gratitude daily. The location is also a perk - close to PSU, downtown and numerous public transportation options. The free annual bus pass provided as an employee perk is a nice addition to an already great benefits package. Overall, I feel lucky to work here!

Pros

Lot's of employee perks, free bus pass, good wages, great people!

Cons

Cost of parking, limited parking

Common questions about Terwilliger Plaza

Answered by current and former employees at Terwilliger Plaza

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Terwilliger Plaza. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Terwilliger Plaza Reviews by Location

Learn about Terwilliger Plaza in popular locations

• Terwilliger Plaza
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?