Tesla Motors Employee Reviews

Found 1,085 reviews matching the search See all 1,221 reviews
Good temporary job
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Lathrop, CAJuly 17, 2018
Good job to have if you need one but probably not a great career. There’s a lot of people ho hate their job. Very hard to keep a positive attitude due to the fact that everyone feels mistreated. ( not my personal experience)
Pros
Days off. 3/4
Cons
Poor management
It's really just about Elon
Tesla Academy (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJuly 17, 2018
The mission is exciting, but the hard work put in to the company was subject to Elon's moods and ego. No room for growth, enhancement. Its about Elon.
Pros
Exciting mission
Cons
Frantic pace, no sense of leadership, poor management
Halfway decent place to work
Crew lead (Current Employee) –  Amsterdam, NYJuly 17, 2018
Was a good place to work until they fired all salesman. Management is ok, there is room for improvement. CEO is only focused on his cars and not the energy side of his company
I am 100% for the mission, sadly the company is so large it does not have the ability to carry it out
Field Energy Advisor (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 16, 2018
They needed to fix something to get the bottom line up for quarter end in June. They just didnt fix what was broken. Changed commission structure to ensure they do not have to pay the 3000 people they laid off what was due.
Work Life balance and Flexibility
Sr. Accountant (Former Employee) –  Fremont CAJuly 16, 2018
Tesla is the company where you have work life balance and flexibility to work any time anywhere. Team was very supportive. Managers always try to help professionally as well as personally
Fickle Business
Field Energy Advisor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 15, 2018
It's a fabulous company to work for, if they don't decide to axe 9% of the company when you've only just started with them. They're an ever-changing corporation; thus, your job position may be "changing" as well, at any given time.
fun and exciting place to work
Protection Associate (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 14, 2018
For the most part I enjoyed my employment at Tesla. Most of the people are friendly and it starts to feel like one big family.
My only issue was that after a year of being in a supervisor position I was not given a raise.
Pros
free cereal
Cons
half hour lunches
Issues with management
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Newark, CAJuly 13, 2018
I felt like I did not get enough support from upper management for the project's I worked on. Outside of a few co-workers it did not seem like my department was taken seriously. This made it extremely difficult to be successful.
Fast-paced Work Culture
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJuly 13, 2018
Working as a production associate to construct assemblies or physical systems at the required output and quality, using physical operations which can include repetitive pushing, pulling, gripping, twisting, reaching, etc. Detecting abnormalities in the manufacturing process and use root-cause analysis to identify and resolve issues. Shared ideas on process design and tooling improvements to increase quality, reduce cost, and support the production work environment.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Short sighted
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAJuly 13, 2018
Need to have an attention seeking personality - quick wins with making even the small, very visible. Flexible, but long hours. Many managers have no formal training or experience.
Pros
Casual dress code
Cons
Eroding benefits and no 401K matching. Short-term focused.
Been at Tesla 4 years.
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAJuly 12, 2018
I have been here long enough to see a lot of changes. I am currently a lead at Tesla and things at this current moment are horrible. Management knows significantly less than even some associates, people getting tossed into depts without request to total opposite shifts and if you tell them about your personal situation as to why a sudden move wouldn't work...their response is "it's about the business". Some depts are actually "scheduled" SIX 12 HOUR SHIFTS PER WEEK. That is ridiculous. My current dept had a 5:30am to 3:30pm shift which has now changed to 5:30 am to "we aren't sure what time we'll be done". Pay is good, but definitely not good enough for what we do. Tesla might be good in a couple years, but not right now.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
hours, management and home life
Tesla Motors Experience
Senior Mechnical Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 12, 2018
In my view Tesla is one of the most advanced company of the USA. Very high level experience and knowledge of the most coworker. Management is only 3 level to CEO and keep open discussion to any level without permit for it. The company ask for doing your best, making innovation and pay correct salary with stock bonus. Hiring process use online test filtering high quality candidates. Yearly knowledge review test the employee quality. The company size contentious grow and currently 30000 employee allow to hide some of the back holders. Management could keep the high quality for longer focusing more of the individual performance.
Pros
Good environment, good salary, bonus, metric system, open communication.
Cons
Slowly back holder damage the culture.
Great Benefits, Great Co-Workers/Management, Not So Great Hours
Lead Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 11, 2018
At a service center, it is fairly rough most days. There often is not enough coverage so I work long hours. Pay could be more for my position and all that I do for the service center. If I did about 1/2 of what I am doing now, I would be more than willing to keep my current pay.
Fun environment
Customer Experience Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 11, 2018
I really enjoying the mission of working for Tesla. Everyone is very passionate about the work they do. I wish there was more security for your job because it does have a high turn around rate but it makes you work harder.
Job is unsecure and Pay is to low
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 11, 2018
The mission at Tesla is awesome. I love the fact that a positive impact is made in the world.

My biggest issue with Tesla is job security and compensation. Its no secret that Tesla is known for doing mass layoffs. From a business standpoint, it makes sense to cut your workforce down so you can meet those quarterly numbers. However, as a human being making the decision to cut a lot of your workforce, how could you just make that decision knowing that these individuals have families to care for? Is this right? Many of these individuals worked extremely hard to make the company great and were promised so much. It feels like employees were just used and then thrown in the trash.

Finally, the compensation is extremely low for a fortune 500 company. Their compensation team claims that they compare our positions to other fortune 500 companies which is definitely not true. How could you expect your employees to believe you when there are websites like glassdoor that give you an idea of how much other companies pay their workers? Once again, I understand Tesla is trying their best to save every single penny, but atleast pay your workers MARKET value. There are so many talented individuals that leave because you are simply not paying them enough.
Pros
great colleagues
Cons
little pay, overworked, dishonest
work place culture
Mechanical Design Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 11, 2018
Good things to learn technology and work practices wise for a fresher.
But, Not much work life balance among folks, very less flexibility.
Very work driven, and less fun culture and lively work environment.
Tesla is on a great mission
Field Energy Advisor (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CAJuly 11, 2018
Energy revolution technology is great.

There’s a mystique about Tesla Motors’ (TSLA) electric vehicles that borders on the cultlike. People believe the upstart, high-tech automaker’s EVs are different from other cars on the road.

They are. But a big part of the Tesla difference isn’t so much about what these cars have as it is about how they are built and, believe it or not, what they don’t have.
Pros
Environment
Cons
Layoffs
Nice work enviornment
Rework Specialist (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 11, 2018
The facility in Livermore was nice to work at. The people were nice and the supervisor was experienced. There was not enough restrooms for the amount of employees.
Pros
Good People, job directions
Cons
Not enough restrooms, heat
Not a bad place to work just hard to balance life.
Parts Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAJuly 11, 2018
It's a company worth trying. After so many years however you notice a lot about what they do. Dont really have a life working there. It's not all bad though as it has gotten better. Not a place for you if your expecting an 8 hour day and go home.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
No life, constant changes.
Productive and fun workplace with a great breakroom
CNC Operator III/Maintenance Technician I (Former Employee) –  Lathrop, CA 95330July 11, 2018
Hard to find work/life balance when employeed. Management changes all the time. Had to relocate to a farther facility while in the company. Had to get called in after a 12 hour shift at times.
Pros
Alot of health benefits
Cons
Too many hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tesla Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight